The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-25-2016, 08:55 PM
Serene Highness

Am I the only one who thinks Justin Trudeau is kinda hunky?

Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-25-2016, 09:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Lion View Post
Did you take any photos you could share with us?

(Also, I'm a bit shocked married women aren't allowed to take their husband's name.That idea hasn't hit Australia yet. I don't think it would fly here.)

I didn't get any pictures myself; the friend I was with is an amateur photographer so I let her take them. I'll try to share when she sends me them.

The married name thing is unique to Quebec - where the follow a mixture of old French civic law and Canadian law. Until the 80s, Quebec women traditionally used their husband's names in daily life, but legally retained their maiden names (which I believe is what is done in France to this day). In the 80s, in the interest of equality, legislature was passed so that "marriage" is not a reason for name change.

It's a law that has been challenged in recent years with the idea that a woman should be able to make the choice if she wants to change her name or not - she shouldn't be required to do either.

I'm not certain if legally Sophie is "Gregorie Trudeau" or just "Gregorie", as the couple has spent most of their married life living in Quebec, but she has been known publicly with both names since Justin Trudeau began his political career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post

Nope!

In the election the Conservatives tried to use his age (he's 44) and good looks against him. No joke, his hair was an election issue.

http://m.huffpost.com/ca/entry/7857258

Old 09-25-2016, 09:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
You'll find you are not the only one who finds him "hunky."
Old 09-25-2016, 09:47 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
I didn't get any pictures myself; the friend I was with is an amateur photographer so I let her take them. I'll try to share when she sends me them.

The married name thing is unique to Quebec - where the follow a mixture of old French civic law and Canadian law. Until the 80s, Quebec women traditionally used their husband's names in daily life, but legally retained their maiden names (which I believe is what is done in France to this day). In the 80s, in the interest of equality, legislature was passed so that "marriage" is not a reason for name change.

It's a law that has been challenged in recent years with the idea that a woman should be able to make the choice if she wants to change her name or not - she shouldn't be required to do either.

I'm not certain if legally Sophie is "Gregorie Trudeau" or just "Gregorie", as the couple has spent most of their married life living in Quebec, but she has been known publicly with both names since Justin Trudeau began his political career.

Thanks for the follow-up detail Ish. I can see the choice to take, or not take, the husband's name as having general support.

And as with the first hand experience, if you're able to post some photos that would really be appreciated.

I realised when I saw Mary of Denmark here in Sydney in 2011 and 2013, that all the professional photographers are penned together and basically get the same shot.

And they all leave the action early - either to send off their photos or get set up at the next location, ready for the next arrival -

- But the Royals haven't left and other things happen that, if I hadn't been there, I wouldn't have seen, as no-one was photographing it . Must happen all the time.

Enjoyed the anecdote about William's "double" and the crowd.

And we were told on the news last night that it is expected we'll get to see the children two more times. (Though I'm not sure if they meant one of those will be departing Canada.)

So I'm hopeful the reports of George going fishing are true. He's become my favourite Royal - sorry Mary, sorry Catherine.
Old 09-25-2016, 10:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Thank you Ish, for your on the spot reporting, it makes such a difference. Too bad nobody looked at a map before they planned the trip. Glad they are staying in mostly one place for the children's sake.
Our boys wore shorts and long socks at formal events with Eton collar jackets before they were about 5 years old or so. It is not considered old fashioned in some parts of America, just traditional, like men wearing jackets to church and not wearing jeans.
They are such adorable children, what a gorgeous family. I don't think they have much of a chance of not being tall and slim.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:24 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4A View Post
Thanks, Ish
You give a good account of the event. It was nice to see the people of BC and Canada receive the Royal couple in such an enthusiastic manner. Just want to add that it was rather disappointing to see young Hamish(son of the Premier of BC) had his hands glued inside his trouser pockets. From his first appearance on the tarmac to waiting for their car to pull up at the end he seemed to struggle to keep his hands out of his pockets. Surely the youngsters are taught that it is poor manners, especially at such a grand occasion as personally meeting the Royal couple?

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community
B.C. premier’s son addresses social media backlash following Royal greeting | Globalnews.ca

Hamish Marissen-Clark has spoken about his now infamous hands in the pockets.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:34 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
B.C. premier’s son addresses social media backlash following Royal greeting | Globalnews.ca

Hamish Marissen-Clark has spoken about his now infamous hands in the pockets.
You know, it's funny. Right now the schools (in Ontario at least) are really focussed on a growth mindset; they've spent the past week teaching the kids that mistakes are a way to learn, not the end of the world.

But any kid who pays attention to the way adults talk about anyone in the public eye is going to know in an instant that we, at most, pay lip service to the idea.

He made a mistake in that he didn't do "the most correct" thing. But people who are too focussed on how it's "bad etiquette" are utterly ignoring the underlying reason we developed the rules of etiquette, which is so that people will feel comfortable.

William and Catherine in no way seemed discomfited by his hands being in his pockets (therefore they handled it exactly correctly), therefore I don't think it's a big deal at all and I don't think he should have to make a national apology. How sad that a once in a lifetime opportunity has been tarnished for that young man.

Also, sign me up for the Justin love. Because, seriously: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...5427671470.jpg
Old 09-26-2016, 12:48 AM
Heir Presumptive

I've never posted pictures before so I hope this works.

The first shot is of some of the crowd, the second of Justin Trudeau and the GG's wife, Sharon Johnston. Beside Trudeau was his wife, but you can't see her because the officer behind them was blocking the view. The third pic is William and Kate greeting Trudeau and Sophie, the fourth of them greeting Christy Clark and her son. The fifth picture is of the bald man in blue who everyone thought was William (which was one of my favourite parts of the day). The last picture is of William and Kate with the GG.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14444970_10157461474880693_7271898328485270652_o.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	216.8 KB
ID:	299314   Click image for larger version

Name:	14409570_10157461475010693_9079155199758427294_o.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	299315   Click image for larger version

Name:	14444850_10157461475150693_3945188595659646861_o.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	299316   Click image for larger version

Name:	14380007_10157461475145693_3764904774755404498_o.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	202.9 KB
ID:	299317  

Click image for larger version

Name:	14424869_10157461474925693_1610625406541877078_o.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	205.2 KB
ID:	299318   Click image for larger version

Name:	14500366_10157461475175693_9093683839304769427_o.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	299319  
Old 09-26-2016, 12:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by hel View Post
Also, sign me up for the Justin love. Because, seriously: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...5427671470.jpg
This is my favourite picture of Justin and Sophie: http://media.vogue.com/r/h_480,w_660...nniversary.jpg
Old 09-26-2016, 01:14 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Thanks Ish for the wonderful pictures you've posted. I agree with everyone else that Trudeau is most certainly a good looking guy and that guy in the blue suit can very well be William's body double.

The Cambridges do look like they're really enjoying themselves and I'm sure they didn't disappoint the crowds that turned out to see them.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 09-26-2016, 01:44 AM
Courtier

Ish, thank you for posting your/your friend's own photos.

It looks like you got a chance to have a good look at William and Catherine "in the flesh".

Worth the long journey there and back to get so close, as some of the crowd photos from this ceremony - well if I didn't know what Catherine was wearing, I don't think I could have picked the Royal couple out.

Thanks again.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:38 AM
Gentry

What an outfit of the durchess...

The dress is cute anyway - if you are a bubblegum. The shoes look very good, but the colour "bites" the colour of the dress.

The kids are little charmers, of course.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Royal photog Mark Stewart has gotten in the habit of tweeting before an event starts. So, yesterday, he tweeted a pic just before takeoff - a nice heads up!
Today, his first tweet: https://twitter.com/RegalEyes/status/780391513243185152
Mark seems to be one of the photogs in the limited press pool today. Expect pics to be slow in coming as a result of the use of a pool and the remote location.

Heavy rain of 1-2 inches is expected today for Bella Bella. It looks to lighten up, but not necessarily stop after 1PM local time. Bummer.
I have a nice waterproof running jacket that would be a better fit for Wills than Kate that I would be happy to loan them.
https://weather.com/weather/today/l/CAXX1109:1:CA
Old 09-26-2016, 10:54 AM
Majesty

justin trudeau is certainly very charming. i am not surprised he got so much attention in the forums!

is it just me or this tour is being low on the photos side so far?
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 09-26-2016, 11:00 AM
Heir Apparent

The Duke of Cambridge to install final Ring of Reconciliation at Black Rod Ceremony tonight at BC Legislature.

https://www.leg.bc.ca/content-peo/le...et-english.pdf
Old 09-26-2016, 11:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
The Duke of Cambridge to install final Ring of Reconciliation at Black Rod Ceremony tonight at BC Legislature.

As an outsider (American) one thing I find fascinating about the BRF is the "political" line they are supposed to avoid. So, a couple of links to the underlying stories today.
First, the Black Rod ceremony has an undercurrent coming from the First Nations. Read more at https://twitter.com/UBCIC/status/780400397324197888

Second and including interview bits from Carolyn Harris, more about the Rainforest and political will from Bella Bella - it's hunting season: How green are the royals? Great Bear Rainforest will give William and Kate glimpse of 'stunning' natural world - Canada - CBC News

And on a personal note, I promise to shut up and get back to my real work. Royal distraction is not my friend!
Old 09-26-2016, 11:14 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post

I am familiar with the concept of Black Rod from the UK parliament, but could you please explain what that ceremony at the BC Legislature is exactly about ?
Old 09-26-2016, 11:23 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
So what ? I think it is no longer customary to bow or curtsy in Canada (which is a very egalitarian, North American country), as it is no longer customary BTW to bow or curtsy in Belgium and the Netherlands, and, in Sweden, it only happens occasionally / infrequently.
Well, could you imagine the canadian gov. general and his wife not bowing/ curtsying when being invited in Buck. Palace, but when they receive the Royals in Canada they´re acting "republican"....?!
In Belgium and the Netherlands curtsies have been "abolished" by the royal houses themselves, nobody else decided to do so. In Sweden (at court) curtsies/ bows are not abolished at all! It is the private decision of left wing politicians not to bow. But there was never an official "decleration" (as dutch Queen Juliana, as far as I know, did) by the court that isn´t wished anymore.
This egalitarian north american country you´re speaking of is still a monarchy with a ROYAL head of state. And to me it seems quite a contradiction to hand out measures of royal etiquette, how to behave when meeting the ducal couple (as happend before this tour: no hats after 6.30 pm, not referring to the Duchess as "Kate" etc.) while canadian civil servants seem to refuse any good behaviour.
What´s next? Calling the Royals in a speech by their 1st names? "Hey, what´s up Wills and Kate?! Thanks for coming round...."

I just hate these "in-between-situations"; either you´re a republic and you don´t give about a damn about these things, or you´re in a monarchy and you recognize that certain things, like basic royal etiquette, are part of that package.

Quote:

Oh, I didn´t know there was someone who thinks he´s not?!
Old 09-26-2016, 11:50 AM
Heir Apparent

441 pictures from yesterday

2016 Royal Tour To Canada Of The Duke And Duchess Of Cambridge Vancouver, British Columbia Pictures and Photos | Getty Images

Royal Tour 2016 (Day 2 - Sept. 25)