Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Tour of Canada - Sept 24-Oct 1, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Prince George and Princess Charlotte went to a children's farm yesterday to see the animals while their parents are in the Yukon.

No pics but all reports say they had a lovely time.

Prince William and Kate receive rock star welcome in Whitehorse as royals are mobbed in Canadian town

Prince William and the Duchess of Cambridge were mobbed today when practically an entire Canadian town turned out to cheer them.

The royal couple were given a rock star welcome as thousands lined the streets of remote Whitehorse in the Yukon.

Kate, 34, wearing a red Caroline Herrera coat to keep warm from the freezing temperatures, went on a 25-minute walkabout through the town that grew during 19th century Gold Rush.

They had stayed in the stunning Yukon Territory overnight - leaving their two children - George and Charlotte - in the care of their nanny back in Victoria.

Before their walkabout they joined a group of local children at a storytelling session at the MacBride Museum this morning.
Read more: Prince William and Kate receive rock star welcome in Whitehorse as royals are mobbed in Canadian town | London Evening Standard

Last edited by a moderator:
Carcross is stunningly beautiful in its rural western way. There is not a bad picture anywhere in coverage and Carcross stands out in each. I'm jealous. It's only a 3000 mile drive for me. ;)

Just looking at the pics from their meeting with the volleyball team yesterday, and I realised just how tall these girls are! P William and D Kate are both quite tall, but they had to look up to make eye contact with the girls.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community

The Daily Beast needs to visit Canada. The coverage has been massive. Not just in BC but across the country.

500 journalists have been accredited. I highly doubt 500 journalists will follow Harry to the Caribbean next month

Yet another front page in The Globe and Mail, Canada's national newspaper.

https://twitter.com/RoyaleVision/status/781193084877082624

Last edited:
Why has Harry always got to be brought into the conversation? The Beast was talking about British newspapers, British coverage of the Cambridges' in 2016 and the British public reaction to stories about the Cambridges and their tour so far. Of course coverage in Canada is extremely important in this tour, and good to see it! However, so is the British public's response and those British journalists who cover William and Kate's activities.

Almost every single national British newspaper have journalists in Canada. The BBC, ITV and Sky News have crews here.

In fact Katie Nichol told the CBC that these are some of the largest crowds she's seen on a royal tour in a long time.

This is as big as royal tours come. Worldwide coverage

Last edited:
The Daily Beast needs to visit Canada. The coverage has been massive. Not just in BC but across the country.

500 journalists have been accredited. I highly doubt 500 journalists will follow Harry to the Caribbean next month

Yet another front page in The Globe and Mail, Canada's national newspaper.

https://twitter.com/RoyaleVision/status/781193084877082624

Thank you for the information regarding the coverage of the Cambridge's tour in Canada and for sharing that UK stations are present as well. I would have been very surprised if they had not been giving it much attention.

"Aides panic" - great headline from "Daily Mail/Mail Online" to go with their great photos.

William and Catherine edged- on the spur of the moment - along the rail track. It looked tricky.

But they're young and fit.

I would have been in a panic at Charles and Camilla giving it a go.

(Sorry, can't post links.)

Last edited:
That Sykes article is significantly weakened by the misrepresentations and outright incorrect facts in it, IMO. Just a few:

Last year’s arrival of Princess Charlotte was a more subdued affair, hardly blockbuster stuff,

Misrepresentation. Ignores the fact that the palace changed the way they organized things so that the press didn't have to spend weeks waiting. And got credit from the press for doing a much better job at organizing things than at George's birth.

Their descent from the Canadian Air Force craft was the first time the public got to see both children together without one of them being pushed in a pram or wrapped in swaddling bands
Well, no. That would be TtC last year. This false claim is also repeated later.

even the 24-hour news channels in the U.K. did not carry a live feed.
But the Mirror did, and so did CTV here in Canada

There has been dutiful reporting of Kate’s dresses, including the most recent red Preen evening gown, but not gushing praise.
Huh. Guess he missed the daily mail's story today which was OTT even for those of us who like the couple.

lifestyles are funded with incalculable taxpayer pounds
Uh... we know they probably share about 2 million pounds with Harry. It's pretty calculable, actually. The security is more opaque, it's true, but the only figures available there are Republic's and probably should be taken with a shaker of salt.

scheduled to attend an event at a kids’ club Thursday
Well, if by "kids club", you mean "BC's Government House". Which, no. Or maybe you mean the Military Family Resource Centre, which is a gross misrepresentation of what that organization does.

to salvage a royal tour that is fast disappearing into obscurity
Really? Because the engagement was planned that way from the start , so it's not like they're pulling last minute hail mary pass.

They probably aren’t reading the commentators saying how dull and wooden they are, advising them to loosen up and have a little impromptu moment now and again.
To be fair, I'm not either. I wonder which "commentators" he means.

I'm not saying all is well with the cambriges and the press. But if he has to misrepresent that much, I question how much his commentary is worth as a whole.

Almost every single national British newspaper have journalists in Canada. The BBC, ITV and Sky News have crews here.

In fact Katie Nichol told the CBC that these are some of the largest crowds she's seen on a royal tour in a long time.

This is as big as royal tours come. Worldwide coverage

I'd add that some om my favorite Twitter coverage has been from local and other Canadian journos. But even the most senior, sometimes cynical UK journos seem impressed with the sheer size and beauty of what they are seeing. Good for the Yukon and BC and the people who live there to get this spotlight.

BTW - weather for Friday in Haida Gwaii is supposed to be mostly sunny which might make up a bit for Monday's outdoor washout.

And can I ask if anyone knows how the locals prefer Haida Gwaii to be pronounced? I've found three versions. Thanks to anyone who knows

I'd add that some om my favorite Twitter coverage has been from local and other Canadian journos. But even the most senior, sometimes cynical UK journos seem impressed with the sheer size and beauty of what they are seeing. Good for the Yukon and BC and the people who live there to get this spotlight.

BTW - weather for Friday in Haida Gwaii is supposed to be mostly sunny which might make up a bit for Monday's outdoor washout.

And can I ask if anyone knows how the locals prefer Haida Gwaii to be pronounced? I've found three versions. Thanks to anyone who knows

This man pronounces it how I've always heard it pronounced:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3bfxZwxHnhQ

On the issue of the Aboriginal names in BC, it could be harder than it is. There's a place not too far outside of Vancouver called "Squamish" (pronounced s-kwo-mesh) that takes it's name from a mispronunciation of the Aboriginal name for the people of the area - spelled "Skwxwu7mesh". When I was younger I took a BC history class where the original name was written on a map during a lecture. To my prof's great annoyance, I was the impertinent one who raised her hand and asked "how do you pronounce the '7'?"

At about the same time, there was a movement among local Aboriginal communities to restore Vancouver's Stanley Park to the name used when it was an Aboriginal village - the name: X̱wáýx̱way. I've yet to figure out how to actually pronounce it, but one English spelling of it is "why-why".

I visited Haida Gwaii a few years ago. Beautiful, mystical, breathtaking.....
The locals pronounced it as "Queen Charlotte" :) All joking aside.... " Hi-dah G-why" is as close as I can get to the proper way of saying it.
I am rather excited for the visit. I spend a long long time at the heritage centre which is incredibly interesting. And it is lovely to see that they have a new hospital. The old one really needed replacing. K&W will get a quick introduction to the place but they really need to be there for a week or longer to really see it in all its glory. They aren't going to get down to the actual Haida Gwaii ie Tanu, Skedans or Ninstints which are the true spirit of the islands.

I am quite interested in how they are going to get everyone over to the events. The airport is at Sandspit on Moresby Island which means they will have to take a ferry over to Skidegate on Graham Island This ferry only takes 15 or so vehicles at a time. And then once they are there, there is only one road...which is going to be closed. The press are going to have to choose one spot - the airport, the cultural centre or the hospital. And the traffic is going to be snarled for hours if everyone tries to follow them from Skidegate to The hospital in Queen Charlotte City. Again- one road.

Last edited:
That Sykes article is significantly weakened by the misrepresentations and outright incorrect facts in it, IMO. Just a few:

Misrepresentation. Ignores the fact that the palace changed the way they organized things so that the press didn't have to spend weeks waiting. And got credit from the press for doing a much better job at organizing things than at George's birth.

Well, no. That would be TtC last year. This false claim is also repeated later.

But the Mirror did, and so did CTV here in Canada

Huh. Guess he missed the daily mail's story today which was OTT even for those of us who like the couple.

Uh... we know they probably share about 2 million pounds with Harry. It's pretty calculable, actually. The security is more opaque, it's true, but the only figures available there are Republic's and probably should be taken with a shaker of salt.

Well, if by "kids club", you mean "BC's Government House". Which, no. Or maybe you mean the Military Family Resource Centre, which is a gross misrepresentation of what that organization does.

Really? Because the engagement was planned that way from the start , so it's not like they're pulling last minute hail mary pass.

To be fair, I'm not either. I wonder which "commentators" he means.

I'm not saying all is well with the cambriges and the press. But if he has to misrepresent that much, I question how much his commentary is worth as a whole.
Exactly. Not to mention the time zone difference. Why would the UK media have live streams of the events in the middle of the night? And photos come in after deadline for the next days papers which means less front pages because when they can put the pictures in the magazine they are already a day or so old. And still they have made multiple frontpages.

I visited Haida Gwaii a few years ago. Beautiful, mystical, breathtaking.....
The locals pronounced it as "Queen Charlotte" :) All joking aside.... " Hi-dah G-why" is as close as I can get to the proper way of saying it.
I am rather excited for the visit. I spend a long long time at the heritage centre which is incredibly interesting. And it is lovely to see that they have a new hospital. The old one really needed replacing. K&W will get a quick introduction to the place but they really need to be there for a week or longer to really see it in all its glory. They aren't going to get down to the actual Haida Gwaii ie Tanu, Skedans or Ninstints which are the true spirit of the islands.

I am quite interested in how they are going to get everyone over to the events. The airport is at Sandspit on Moresby Island which means they will have to take a ferry over to Skidegate on Graham Island This ferry only takes 15 or so vehicles at a time. And then once they are there, there is only one road...which is going to be closed. The press are going to have to choose one spot - the airport, the cultural centre or the hospital. And the traffic is going to be snarled for hours if everyone tries to follow them from Skidegate to The hospital in Queen Charlotte City. Again- one road.
Some press will probably be stationary (as have been during the tour multiple times. Not all press cover the same events) and then it's usually 1 photographer + 1 reporter per day that seems to get to travel with the royals in the motorcade etc so the events that otherwise would have to be skipped for travel arrengements also gets coverage.

In fact, even in the UK, bowing and curtsying are always optional. It would be odd not to do it in front of members of the royal family, because it is the socially accepted custom, but nobody is required to do it.

Of course it is optional - nobody forces you to do anything. But I´m sure the Queen likes to see people curtsying or bowing. And in Britain many people do while in Canada, which I observed during this tour, virtually no one does - not even the Governeur General and his wife which I found very odd indeed!

You repeated your objections concerning the Benelux Countries and Sweden, so I have to repeat again that it is a difference if royal houses once decided to abolish certain parts of the royal etiquette or if people surrounding the royal family simply decide for themselves not to curtsy, for instance! And in Sweden many people do curtsy or bow (you can watch this every time for a royal birthday or something), especially people working at the court.

:previous: William sure can't talk his way out of being George's dad! :)

Last edited:
I love Princess Charlotte. She is so active and cute. Prince George is also a little charmer. William and Catherine must be very proud of the children.

Back
Top Bottom