The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-25-2016, 08:19 AM
Aristocracy

While George gets quite a bit of attention (when they can) from his parents, I'm a bit bemused that little Charlotte, - ok, in her mum's arms - gets very little or none during the inital meet and greet.

Old 09-25-2016, 08:23 AM
Heir Apparent

Here are details of the royal tour for Sunday by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge after they arrive in Vancouver:

— Prince William and his wife Kate will tour Sheway, a pregnancy outreach service for women with drug and alcohol issues, in Vancouver's poorest neighbourhood, the Downtown Eastside. They will be welcomed by a First Nations ceremony and prayer and meet with the program's staff and clients to learn about the successful service that ensures mothers and babies are healthy.

— The couple will then visit the Immigrant Services Society of B.C. to unveil a plaque recognizing the new Welcome Centre for immigrants and refugees that opened in June. The centre is a regional hub for transitional housing and support services that includes 16 housing units, multilingual trauma support services and youth programs.

— At the Telus Garden, the duke and duchess will host a reception to meet and honour young Canadians who are making important contributions to their communities.

— At the final event of the day, Prince William and Kate will meet first responders to discuss the mental health implications of their work while visiting the Kitsilano Coast Guard Station. They will learn about the search-and-rescue and environmental operations conducted at the station before leaving the base by hovercraft.

News Talk 610 CKTB :: A look at where the royals are going Sunday :: National News Article

Old 09-25-2016, 10:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

Just seeing the photos of them getting off the plane. Here's my summation

1) for those of you who think George resembles Will, get over it. It's Charlotte who takes after her father - look at those close ups of her face.

2) Of all the formal day wear I've seen Kate in, this may be bar none the best. Absolutely stunning.

3) That little George - charismatic in his own right.
Old 09-25-2016, 10:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Lion View Post
Evening TV news in Australia is saying the crowds greeting William and Catherine were estimated at twenty-five thousand.

They screened a cute video clip of George taking the initiative and waving at Mrs Trudeau as everyone stood on the tarmac - and Mrs T's enthusiastic response to him.
Twenty-five thousand! Impressive as Victoria is not a mainland capital.

Two hours of live coverage! Wow. This is a big event to devote that much air time to their arrival.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:36 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
I must say I am impressed by the level of attention the Cambridges' tour is getting, not only in BC properly, but in the Canadian media in general. That should not be interpreted though as evidence of any sudden increase in support for the monarchy in Canada. After all, however large the royalist crowds may be in events like that, it is still just a drop in the ocean in a country like Canada.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:46 AM
Imperial Majesty

With Canada being a major part of the realm, it would be good for the Cambridge's to deepen their ties to the Canadian people by taking on some charities in Canada and taking on some honorary roles with the military. It could be a chance for William and Catherine to make more visits together and individual visits in the future.

We currently see Anne, Charles, Edward and Sophie doing this. William and Catherine should get on board.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 09-25-2016, 11:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
OK - who among us lives on the West coast of Canada? Knows people there? Is there a buzz about the tour and are people planning to try to see the family if they are close? Were the 25k locals or did people drive in from Vancouver, etc.? Does anyone want to be our local reporter a la Sun lion on the Australia Tour (nod of cap to Sun Lion)?
Old 09-25-2016, 12:01 PM
Heir Apparent

A selection of front pages. Remember when Charles and Camilla were in Canada in 2014 there were literally dozens of people out to see them.

Given W&K are 'only' visiting British Columbia and the Yukon, national media is giving the tour great coverage and the crowds last night were amazing.

https://twitter.com/RoyaleVision/sta...52769638060032

https://twitter.com/RoyaleVision/sta...53120227373056

https://twitter.com/RoyaleVision/sta...53455130005505

https://twitter.com/RoyaleVision/sta...52432755752960
Old 09-25-2016, 12:03 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLV View Post
I find the phenomenon of short trousers and long socks very weird.
If it is warm enough for short trousers, then you don't need long socks; if it is cold enough for long socks, wear long trousers. This just looks weird!
Sitting here wearing shorts, socks and a sweater. Not an uncommon thing here in my part of Canada. Especially when this time of year when it is cool in the morning and evening but warm during the day.

I would love to see George in a pair of big boy trousers but since he is such a cutie I don't care as long as I get to see him.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:23 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
With Canada being a major part of the realm, it would be good for the Cambridge's to deepen their ties to the Canadian people by taking on some charities in Canada and taking on some honorary roles with the military. It could be a chance for William and Catherine to make more visits together and individual visits in the future.

We currently see Anne, Charles, Edward and Sophie doing this. William and Catherine should get on board.
It is quite clear to me that both Charles and William understand the importance of the Commonwealth realms, especially Australia, Canada and New Zealand, for the future of the British royal family and, accordingly, they have devoted great attention to the aforementioned countries, while Harry seems to be establishing a personal connection with the Caribbean realms. That is a topic for a different forum though.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Sheway is a Pregnancy Outreach Program located in the Downtown Eastside of Vancouver and it’s also an official stop for the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. Client Karen Leanne Starr tells Global News how Sheway helped save her life.

Video: Why Vancouver’s Sheway was picked as an official stop on the Royal Tour | Watch News Videos Online
Old 09-25-2016, 12:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post

Well that's up to the Queen to do that with the military roles. William only has one Army one and Kate only has the air cadets in the UK. They don't really have any realm countries military appointments but other royals have to give them up for the younger royals to take over. At this point, it almost seems like they are waiting for the Queen and Philip to pass on which will cause a large number of patronages and appointments to switch hands as Charles moves up to the throne.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 09-25-2016, 12:38 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I find the phenomenon of short trousers and long socks very weird.
If it is warm enough for short trousers, then you don't need long socks; if it is cold enough for long socks, wear long trousers. This just looks weird!
I assure you it's not an unusual 'look' in the United Kingdom.. many boys [myself included] wore/wear such clothing at school [until aged about 11], and the continue to do so today.
i've always attributed its enduring popularity to 'Grazed Knees', and the fact that Shorts remain unscathed in the MANY Childhood falls, whereas Long Trousers would not !
Old 09-25-2016, 12:47 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
I assure you it's not an unusual 'look' in the United Kingdom.. many boys [myself included] wore/wear such clothing at school [until aged about 11], and the continue to do so today.
i've always attributed its enduring popularity to 'Grazed Knees', and the fact that Shorts remain unscathed in the MANY Childhood falls, whereas Long Trousers would not !

I know it is the standard school uniform in the UK, but, to many people in the American continent, it looks terribly old-fashioned. I don't know if other posters agree with me though.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Natalie Kalata ‏@natalie_kalata
Crowd already lined up in Vancouver to greet HRH the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge (Will &Kate) on day 2 of #RoyalVisitCanada #Royals #CBC

https://twitter.com/natalie_kalata/s...67220453863425

Sonia Deol ‏@soniadeol1
13 year old Isabella has been at Jack Poole Plaza since 6am.. And she has a message for #willandkate @GlobalBC #RoyalVisitCanada

https://twitter.com/soniadeol1/statu...71838793601024
Old 09-25-2016, 12:59 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Well that's up to the Queen to do that with the military roles. William only has one Army one and Kate only has the air cadets in the UK. They don't really have any realm countries military appointments but other royals have to give them up for the younger royals to take over. At this point, it almost seems like they are waiting for the Queen and Philip to pass on which will cause a large number of patronages and appointments to switch hands as Charles moves up to the throne.

I think her cadets role extends to Canada too.

I know the military appointments is up to The Queen. Also, lets face it, I'm not sure The Queen will be making it back to Canada to visit some of the military, so it wouldn't hurt for her to pass on some appointments down to the Cambridge's. It would also be great if they took up some patronages in Canada. I'm sure there some charities that other members of the Royal family don't support. Especially, around sports, mental health and children.

I'm just saying it would be good for the Cambridge's to deepen there relationship with the Canadian people by supporting their causes officially.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 09-25-2016, 01:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

I've seen the combination of shorts and long socks in Canada, but not typically with the inclusion of a sweater as well, especially in a child (they're usually put in a pair of pants if a sweater is required).

The fact is though, that it's fairly standard in the UK and we can expect George and Charlotte to be dressed in the fashion of the British upper class children until they're older - at least when they're out on "official" business.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:07 PM
Heir Apparent

CTV News just said there are over 500 journalists from around the world accredited for the royal visit.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:09 PM
Heir Apparent

They have been there already twice in five years. The Cambridges are just getting started on their Royal life. They aren't even full time yet. There will be several more trips to the Canada in the future.

Old 09-25-2016, 01:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Lion View Post
Evening TV news in Australia is saying the crowds greeting William and Catherine were estimated at twenty-five thousand.

They screened a cute video clip of George taking the initiative and waving at Mrs Trudeau as everyone stood on the tarmac - and Mrs T's enthusiastic response to him.
PM Trudeau's wife actually goes by Sophie Gregorie Trudeau (Gregorie being her middle name). In Quebec (where the couple is from), there is actually a legal ban on women taking their husband's name upon marriage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post

I believe outside of the UK, it's actually up to the GG to give out these roles. The Commander in Chief of the Canadian armed forces is not the Queen, but rather the Queen's representative, GG David Johnston.