The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-10-2011, 12:10 PM
Royal Highness

The Sun is not the first publication to print those pics. Some posters even put the up here. Relax people! It's not 'disgracful' , it's how it is as a public figure and I'd venture it bothers the Duchess far less then anyone else....heck, it's kudos to her that she looks so good, I see no cellulite :) I'm just saying it's not that bad....

Old 07-10-2011, 12:13 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
Wind was unexpected and she was on her way to an event she needed to be dressed appropriately for. Plus she's not the one at fault here. I know she's a public figure, but I don't think that makes it ok for someone to take advantage of an embarrassing moment beyond her control and that's what this paper did.
I agree completely. The photographer even admits he didn't know he had such a photo until he went back and reviewed the shots. A gentlemen and anyone who would ever want permission to be part of a photo crew again, would have deleted them.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Touching story from a walkabout which occurred during this tour
Prince William opens heart about Diana agony to three bereaved sisters
Old 07-10-2011, 04:13 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
This wasn't sexual harassment, and that's actually demeaning to women (and men) who have suffered from actual sexual harassment. The kinds of cameras photogs use in situations like this have a rapid shutter. Meaning, you push the button once, and it'll snap five or six pictures in a row. How do we know that when that particular photographer pushed the shutter, the wind hadn't blow up the back of her dress? You're basically accusing this person of intentionally taking a picture of a woman's underwear, which is incredibly, incredibly rude.

You don't accuse people of something that serious without iron-clad proof.
The photographer may not have realized what he/she shot, but the editor sure knew what he/she was publishing. Shame on the editor for showing his/her classless side.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Guys, it's the Sun. This is the paper that has a Daily SUNshine girl in a bikini on Page Three every single day in their paper. This doesn't shock me in the slightest they'd publish that picture. It's their MO in fact.

It does lower my opinion of them, which is surprising. I didn't think that was possible.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:13 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
Touching story from a walkabout which occurred during this tour
Prince William opens heart about Diana agony to three bereaved sisters
...And I was just about to post that article . I guess great minds think alike.

This was a very touching story. It's wonderful to see people using their own experiences to help others.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Very touching indeed. If anyone would know about looking after a younger sibling after losing a parent far too early, it would be William.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess of Durham

The photographer may not have realized what he/she shot, but the editor sure knew what he/she was publishing. Shame on the editor for showing his/her classless side.
Yup, and the editor in question knew there was no newsworthy reason to publish the photo. Embarrassing the duchess and adding the comments about the type of underwear she wears IS most certainly sexual harassment, albeit from the editor, not the photographer. (although the photographer did send it along to the editor)

Taking the picture probably was unintentional, using it WAS intentional.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

As someone who has been the victim of real, honest-to-God sexual harassment AND taken someone to court over it, I find the continued assertion that the publishing of the pictures equals sexual harassment to be incredibly offensive.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 07-10-2011, 07:39 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't think it has anything to do with abuse IMO for me it was just awful that the photographer decided to publish it DAYS LATER. Why not just keep the photo to yourself why did it need publishing?
Old 07-10-2011, 08:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine
As someone who has been the victim of real, honest-to-God sexual harassment AND taken someone to court over it, I find the continued assertion that the publishing of the pictures equals sexual harassment to be incredibly offensive.
As someone who also has been, I find the assertion that a woman being discussed in a sexual context in a public forum without her consent is NOT being sexually harassed equally offensive, but that's not something we'll resolve on this forum.

I think we can all at least agree the publishing of those pictures was extremely distasteful and leave it at that.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:28 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554
I don't think it has anything to do with abuse IMO for me it was just awful that the photographer decided to publish it DAYS LATER. Why not just keep the photo to yourself why did it need publishing?
It's both the photographer and the editor's fault. The fault of the photographer for not deleting it in the first place and for selling it and the editor for buying the picture and publishing it. They're both sorry individuals!
Old 07-10-2011, 08:50 PM
Royal Highness

The DM printed them days before the Sun and put the title of the article as 'flashing some royal thigh' (which was distasteful)....posters on the forum put them up as the pics were being taken, some put up the pic of her in the McQueen dress flying up....I really think it's making a mountain out of a molehill....but to each their own...
Old 07-11-2011, 12:35 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
I still do think you grossly underestimate what this tour was like for Catherine. Even Sarah, Duchess of York has said that tours like these are gruelling. They are not as "easy" as they might look to you.

A bit more respect for at least holding on so long and not letting on how tired one must be won't hurt and is in its proper place - IMO.
This was not a grueling tour even by royal standards. They had plenty of time off and most of their events only lasted about 1-1.5 hrs. Anybody can last that long and not look tired.

Not trying to be rude..but I did give her some credit. I said that she seemed friendly and that she has decorum. However, she can do more with her life than just smile and wave. I would like to see that. I would hope we would all like to see that.

I will at least give the tour some credit...it made more sense than the L.A. one. Here at least they did not appear to hobnobbing with celebrities. (even if it was for charity)

I hate to see people taking pictures of her like that but I can't say I am shocked. The media can be a vicious animal at times. However I hope in the future that she checks the weather when she is planning her outfits because the only people that are going to watch out for her when it comes to things like this is herself.

I think she should be all right coping with it though because these are not the first bad pictures taken of her. (not that I am saying that it was right)
Old 07-11-2011, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemagre View Post
This was not a grueling tour even by royal standards. They had plenty of time off and most of their events only lasted about 1-1.5 hrs. Anybody can last that long and not look tired.

Not trying to be rude..but I did give her some credit. I said that she seemed friendly and that she has decorum. However, she can do more with her life than just smile and wave. I would like to see that. I would hope we would all like to see that.
Well, she did more than just smile and wave on this tour. She participated in a boat race, met and spent time with sick children, helped plant a tree or two, met with veterans and their families, put together care packages for military children, attended a youth parliament session, visited a town devastated by fire, took time for walkabouts, cooked a meal, helped save Stan, and even painted a snail.

Seriously though, these tours aren't easy and she did a dang good job.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:45 AM
Heir Presumptive

If all you think Catherine (and William) did on this tour was "smile and wave", you weren't paying attention.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 07-11-2011, 09:47 AM
Imperial Majesty

HQ photos
Los Duques de Cambridge en los Territorios del Noroeste de Canadá: Galería en Bekia
Guillermo y Catalina de Cambridge felices y aventureros en Canadá: Galería en Bekia
Old 07-11-2011, 09:54 AM
Administrator

I don't get the criticism that Catherine didn't work (or didn't work too hard) on this tour.

Let's be real, while the work that Catherine (and William) for that matter can't be compared to the life and work of a waitress, a construction worker, a lawyer, doctor, etc. it can and should be compared to the same amount of work that other Royal ladies )and men for that matter) do on these tours. They are briefed about people and cultural aspects of the cities/countries that they are visiting. They are very much animals in the zoo when they are out and about as every aspect (look, clothing attire, hairstyle, wave, smile, etc.) is pictured and analyzed to the TENTH degree. They are expected to peppy and happy ALL THE time whether they have a headache, are grouchy or just having a bad day. even when they are not.

Catherine did the same thing as Camilla, the Queen, Sophie, Mathilde, Maximia, Margrethe, Sofia, Silvia, Victoria, etc. do every time they step out of their castle to do work. Is is different because its Catherine or do they not "work" as well?

Again, I realize that this isn't the same type of work they you and I do so I am no way trying to compare the two. I am open to negative and position opinions I am just trying to understand is it Catherine that is the problem or royal work in general?

Old 07-11-2011, 10:36 AM
Imperial Majesty

I like William and Catherine very much. I think that they are a lovely couple in love and good for Great Britain. But when I look at the photos of this trip, I get the feeling that the main thing was to present Catherine´s wardrobe, what kind and how many outfits she had. I don´t know why the feeling is so strong, compared to e.g. the trips of Victoria and Daniel or Felipe and Letizia?
Old 07-11-2011, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Its the same exact thing when the couples you mention (and those who aren't mentioned) are on tour. The press and the public always focus on the royal ladies clothes. Can anyone tell me what Prince Phillip wore when he and the Queen went to Ireland? I can't, but I can give you an idea of two to three of Her Majesty's outfits. If I followed Mary or Maxima on a regular basis I could do the same.

The royal ladies shouldn't be blamed because the press (and the public) focus on their attire. Although its worth nothing that one of their goals is to promote Britian (Dutch, Danish, Canadian, etc) fashion. And this is just one aspect of what Kate did on this trip.