The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-06-2011, 10:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post
Kate did hug someone either yesterday or the day before and William also posed for a photo w/someone in Slave Lake today
Was it this photo Tiggersk8?
http://i54.tinypic.com/29bbmhh.jpg

Old 07-06-2011, 11:17 PM
Aristocracy

enjoying watching the CBC every night seeing what they are up to every day they are doing a great job

Old 07-06-2011, 11:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Sorry dunno the source found it on another board.
Quote:
Farris Sobhani was filling up at a gas station a block away from where the crowd gathered. He said the monarchy has a history of oppressing colonies and native peoples and shouldn't be celebrated.
"It's fantastic that people are bringing attention to Slave Lake," he said. "I just think it is unfortunate that we have turned this into celebrity worship.
Just saw this quote from a local in Slave Lake and this is what I don't understand about people. If William and Kate are out and showing themselves and doing work it's "oh it's for PR they should have done it in private and it's a celebrity thing" If they don't it's oh they're lazy they're avoiding they're job they think they can be normal. Honestly sometimes I feel like they can't win. How are they going to get their message across and bring attention to the causes they're visiting if the media isn't there. Sorry didn't mean to turn it into a rant but it's something that's genuinely been bothering me the last few days.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:45 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
Sorry dunno the source found it on another board.

Farris Sobhani was filling up at a gas station a block away from where the crowd gathered. He said the monarchy has a history of oppressing colonies and native peoples and shouldn't be celebrated. "It's fantastic that people are bringing attention to Slave Lake," he said. "I just think it is unfortunate that we have turned this into celebrity worship.

Just saw this quote from a local in Slave Lake and this is what I don't understand about people. If William and Kate are out and showing themselves and doing work it's "oh it's for PR they should have done it in private and it's a celebrity thing" If they don't it's oh they're lazy they're avoiding they're job they think they can be normal. Honestly sometimes I feel like they can't win. How are they going to get their message across and bring attention to the causes they're visiting if the media isn't there. Sorry didn't mean to turn it into a rant but it's something that's genuinely been bothering me the last few days.
For me its wound up in several issues. I take great pleasure in watching the BRF vis-a-vis their 'subjects'. It seems to be an intensely personal relationship - almost akin to a family connection. It is a relationship I do not share nor actually understand. In no-way-shape-or-form am I a monarchist in the sense that I would choose to be ruled by a monarch. No thank you. But I enjoy the romance of it in a remote way - the arcane aspects, all of that. And I like the fashion.

So when members of the RF do these 'tours' through the commonwealth its a fascinating thing to watch but in no way am I connected or impressed by these people the way their subjects are. There appears to be a 'shorthand' - protocols - that these folks need to follow and the subjects are happy.

But there is a difference between dignified protocols associated with monarchy/royalty and celebrity and photo-ops and I do see it as celebrity - and the man from Slave Lake is making a good point. William and Kate could have gone to Slave Lake privately, respecting the people there but not making them part of their 'publicity machine'. They did not have to go there hauling the press after them. In fact, they had a day off - they could have gone off and done their own thing, Slave Lake if that's what was their thing. People could have heard about it later - why bring photographers to record every tragic scene and 'heartfelt' encounter?

You ask: How are they going to get their message across and bring attention to the causes they're visiting if the media isn't there? Interesting that you believe that that is acceptable, that that is work. Historically, there have been celebrities who have thought that and engaged in just that. It isn't work. Having media (and private individuals) snapping pictures within inches of one's nose is not 'getting a message across'. Its just mindless celebrity - canny PR - and in the royals case, its very expensive PR (in many, many ways) and puts a lot of people out. One gets one's message across by working, really working. The rest is cheap, momentary chatter and bling.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Well then for example off the top of my head Diana. I don't want to make this thread into a Diana thread at all and take away from what it's focus is but without the media there, alot of people may have still thought you could transmit Aids by shaking someone's hand. So IMO I do believe the media does help get their message across.

I myself knew very little about Slave Lake before this visit. After seeing the pictures of devastation it got me to thinking what would I have done if I had been in the same situation. These are questions I would have never begun to ask myself if William and Kate had never gone there. In the past William has done private visits to hospital and to the homeless shelter so I don't believe he is being sucked into any type of PR machine.

Yes it could have been private but compared to the other visits there were very few journalists there only about 30. I do believe William and Kate even asked and wanted to make sure that the press' presence was not a bother to the people of Slave Lake. I know cause CBC has repeated this several times today.Ya they could have taken the day off but IMO I think it was quite generous of them to give up their time off and go there on such short notice. They apparently have been following this story for a long time so quite obviously they were genuinely concerned.

The cameras were also kept at a distance during the visit and very few photos were released from the meeting inside the gymnasium. And the photos of the wreckage were shot at a distance you could tell by watching the video.Also there is only footage of them entering none of them speaking to any of the families in the gymnasium. So I don't see it as them being in your face especially not during this part of the visit.

Quite honestly from what I've seen today the media has suddenly taken an interest to Slave Lake an interest that wasn't there before. CBC will even now be following the relief efforts so IMO I don't think this visit was a waste at all. I actually think it was quite helpful and pretty much 90% of the community seemed thrilled at the presence of the Duke and Duchess.

I also want to add that I see it in the same way the media for example tells us about a new treatment for cancer. It's the papers the tv shows, internet and radio that transmit this message across to us the people. Otherwise how would we know about anything? For me William, Diana even Charles have introduced me to causes that I would have never cared about before. If I had seen it in a paper I wouldn't have read the article on it. For example the rainforest, AIDS, homelessness etc.To me it's just a different way of getting the message across.Instead of hearing it from a scientist I'm hearing it from William. I don't see it as bad different people are interested in different things, learn about things differently etc I'm rambling here now so I'll just finish this off. What do you consider to be work? What do you want them to do that you consider as acceptable? Make all their visits private?

On another note IMO I think the LA trip will be fine too. It's not as if he's never been present at an award show. And then polo well obviously I get the connection there. IMO I just think the tv shows are over hyping the celebrity interest. It will prob be just like any normal visit.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:26 AM
Serene Highness

I donīt follow this RF much, so what is the point of this tour? If there is any.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:39 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosana View Post
I donīt follow this RF much, so what is the point of this tour? If there is any.
Since you don't follow the British Royal Family that much, I will repost Humera's earlier post, as I think it explains it better than I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humera View Post
This is a newly married couple on their first official tour of a country Prince William will one day be King of. His parents' tour was much longer and so were the tours of his grand and great-grandparents. Canada's too big to cover in one small visit so various members of the royal family usually try to visit different regions during each trip. So yeah, if they were visiting a republic, the visit might be too long. But not a nation that's part of their 'realm.' The whole point of these visits is for the royals to meet ordinary Canadians and for them to meet their future monarch.

As for the events, the couple themselves helped choose the activities they participated in. Their chosen theme for the visit is youth and they've focused on that. They've even said that they want people to address them informally, as confirmed by the Queen's Canadian secretary. The couple have deliberately granted people more access to them than, say, the Queen would because the protocol for her is much stricter and she doesn't do a lot of walkabouts. None of this is random or pointless. Each activity and event has been carefully choreographed.

The particular search and rescue exercise that William took part in is unique to Canada and Britain has sent its pilots here to learn the manoeuvre. One of the articles mentioned that William had heard about it from his colleagues at home and wanted to try it. Catherine wanted to visit PEI because of her fondness for Anne of Green Gables.

William and Kate's visit to Quebec was significant because the Queen hasn't been there in several decades and Charles and Camilla weren't well received there. But this young couple was. It was an important exercise in forging a better image of the monarchy in the province.
I will just add that it is customary for a member of the British Royal Family to tour Canada during the Canada Day celebrations (as well as other times of the year). Sophie and Edward did the tour in 2005 and 2009; the Queen and the DoE in 2005 and 2010; abd Charles and Camilla in Fall of 2010 to give the time frame of some recent visits. Prior to that both Sarah and Andrew as well as Charles and Diana had visited Canada at some point as well. In addition, a popular tour of Canada in 1937-38 timeframe assisted in shoring up popularity for a new King George VI and Queen Elizabeth.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:56 AM
Courtier

You don't follow this royal family much but it's amazing how many times you have visited this thread!
Old 07-07-2011, 02:39 AM
Heir Presumptive

Well, that person filling their gas tanks was certainly a very, very small minority judging from the various comments I've either read in articles or seen on the various news outlets up here in Canada tonight. All of the people from Slave Lake quoted or shown were *all* blown away that Kate and William would do this and help ensure they were not forgotten about. Not to mention showing light on what has happened to their community to the rest of the World. That in turn will have others wondering what they can do to help those people.

There are hundreds homeless and have *nothing* left. As the Fire Chief himself said, after so many days and weeks of sadness and helplessness, for the first time he could actually feel his town being hopeful about the future again.

All of that, could *never* have been accomplished by a simple private visit. Also the fact they did this on their day off, speaks volumes to me about what kind of people William and Kate are. When they say they care about something, it's not for show.

On another note...Did anyone else happen to see the feature on tonight's The National about EP Ranch, which was the Alberta ranch and property The Duke of Windsor once owned? That was really facsinating and I can understand why David bought it. Gorgeous, gorgeous piece of this World of ours. :o)
Old 07-07-2011, 05:17 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Caring and casual: Prince William and Kate arrive in jeans and slacks for unscheduled stop at town devastated by wild fires

Read more: Royal tour: Kate Middleton and Prince William arrive in wildfire Alberta town | Mail Online
Old 07-07-2011, 05:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Great photos from inside the event the couple attended after they finished cooking on Day 3
Flickr: ITHQ's Photostream

Also I fail to understand some people and their comparisons. Yes because I expect William and Kate to be grinning ear to ear during a church service. *sigh* take a look if you wish....http://twitpic.com/5mbfv1
Old 07-07-2011, 06:14 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Was it this photo Tiggersk8?
http://i54.tinypic.com/29bbmhh.jpg
Now THAT'S a hug! I find it rather refreshing that both William and Kate express themselves freely not only with each other, but with people they're meeting. In the past it seems like there was always a "mystic aura" surrounding royalty and they were deemed untouchable as protocol with the Queen has always been. There also has been historical and practical reasons behind it. Historically as the royals were by "divine right", it was considered a breach as you were attempting to touch the Divine. Practically, up until the modern age of medicine, with the royals meeting up with their public, it really laid them wide open to contract who knows what kind of sickness and disease. I think this is where the barriers were broken with Diana and AIDS patients.

William and Kate are the future of the monarchy and what I see reflected by glimpses into how they interact with each other and with those that they meet and also with their request for donations to charities in lieu of wedding presents, is that these two are going to gain the respect, admiration and support from everyone that meets them or watches them because what they are presenting is genuine. They care and they show it. In a world where the relevance of a monarchy is seriously in question, William and Kate are sure doing a wonderful job of showing monarchy in a very positive light.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:17 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Great photos from inside the event the couple attended after they finished cooking on Day 3
Flickr: ITHQ's Photostream

Also I fail to understand some people and their comparisons. Yes because I expect William and Kate to be grinning ear to ear during a church service. *sigh* take a look if you wish....Body language doesn't lie: Charles and Diana in Canada..... on Twitpic
I am not quite sure what the last picture tries to show in terms of comparison; I see that it's about body language but I'm not yet an expert in that. Can you explain?
Old 07-07-2011, 06:29 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
I am not quite sure what the last picture tries to show in terms of comparison; I see that it's about body language but I'm not yet an expert in that. Can you explain?
My take on it was that the body positions of both Charles and Diana and William and Kate were identical. Seeing as the brief article below the pictures referred to Kate as "Waity", I think the author was trying to insinuate that both couples have problems in the marriage.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:37 AM
Serene Highness

How ignorant and stupid can people be to interpret two people sitting next to each other as having marriage problems? Whatīs his/ her interpretation of all the clips and photos of William and Catherine being very touchy and happy together? Oh yes, let me guess: Itīs all pretend...

And what has the lunatic tabloid nickname of Kate "Waity" to do with it?
I know it was not you who created this post, Osipi, BUT why did you post it here?!
Old 07-07-2011, 07:46 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
How ignorant and stupid can people be to interpret two people sitting next to each other as having marriage problems? Whatīs his/ her interpretation of all the clips and photos of William and Catherine being very touchy and happy together? Oh yes, let me guess: Itīs all pretend...

I know it was not you who created this post, Osipi, BUT why did you post it here?!
I guess it just wants to show that Diana had only one expression when it came to be serene or sad while Catherine obviously has more...
Old 07-07-2011, 08:15 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post

Actually I was replying to Skippy who posted shortly before me "I am not quite sure what the last picture tries to show in terms of comparison; I see that it's about body language but I'm not yet an expert in that. Can you explain? "

To me its just a sensationalistic article to begin with and in very bad taste. Where the picture is posted, go back and read what is related under the photographs. Its there that "Waity" comes from and was the first clue I had of this reporters intent. My thoughts is that this reporter by using the terminology to describe Kate as "Waity" is very obviously trying to allude to the message that because Charles and Diana and William and Kate just happened to be sitting with the same posture, it alludes to that there is troubles in the marriage of Will and Kate as there were with his parents.

As far as what I see in the photos, I just see two women sitting like our mothers taught us to, as a "lady" in church, and the men sitting like a bazillion other men probably do in church.

The whole intent of what was in the media seems to strike me as someone trying to make a full scale turkey dinner out of one chicken McNugget.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:07 AM
Courtier

They have only been married a couple of months! Bit early for any trouble. The both look happy and relaxed abeit sitting properly through a church service. They are very aware of when it is and isn't right to hold hands or hug etc. I think they are doing a great job and glad to see them show up for the bush fire people. It does help having others show interest I myself was involved in a terrible bush fire and lost my house here in Oz a couple of years ago. Just knowing others care helps.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:03 PM
Majesty

Spletnik -Prince William and Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge visited Slave Lake
Old 07-07-2011, 12:07 PM
Commoner

A nice article about the Slave Lake visit...

Slave Lake charmed, heartened by royal visit