Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Tour of Canada - June 30-July 8, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Found the FULL Canada Day Evening Show. CBC only aired part of it
Celebrate Canada Day in Canada's Capital Region (Ottawa - Gatineau)

I have to say something. After this tour I've come to the conclusion that we saw a whole different monarchy especially in William. Over the last 2 years he's greatly changed for the better (now was it because of Kate or something else I dunno) but this tour really brought it out in full force. These 2 are remarkable and we're so lucky to have them. And I'm so proud to be able to call them my future King and Queen.

Last edited:
I have to say something. After this tour I've come to the conclusion that we saw a whole different monarchy especially in William. Over the last 2 years he's greatly changed for the better (now was it because of Kate or something else I dunno) but this tour really brought it out in full force. These 2 are remarkable and we're so lucky to have them. And I'm so proud to be able to call them my future King and Queen.

My knowledge of William 2 years ago is quite limited. How has he changed?

ETA: Thank you for all your links, etc. It has made my new obsession much easier!

Maybe it had something to do with Kate or perhaps William is just growing up?

Found the FULL Canada Day Evening Show. CBC only aired part of it
Celebrate Canada Day in Canada's Capital Region (Ottawa - Gatineau)

My knowledge of William 2 years ago is quite limited. How has he changed?

ETA: Thank you for all your links, etc. It has made my new obsession much easier!

Maybe it had something to do with Kate or perhaps William is just growing up?

I think it's a combination of both - his beloved Catherine is now his wife and I think he has found his place in life, the way he wants to live it.

Also playing a huge part in it, imo, is that he is allowed to do that. There is no added pressure on him (and Catherine now) to step up and play a very active role as of yet. They have 'off time' until he's done with the RAF in 2013. Which I think is a perfect time to lay the foundation for their marriage.

They already had the foundation for their relationship - which led to the wedding, and now is the time to cement their marriage. And Anglesey provides the perfect surroundings for that, in my opinion.

I do like them, but don't yet feel they've done anything yet to be "remarkable." In time, though, they will be.

I think it's a combination of both - his beloved Catherine is now his wife and I think he has found his place in life, the way he wants to live it.

Also playing a huge part in it, imo, is that he is allowed to do that. There is no added pressure on him (and Catherine now) to step up and play a very active role as of yet. They have 'off time' until he's done with the RAF in 2013. Which I think is a perfect time to lay the foundation for their marriage.

They already had the foundation for their relationship - which led to the wedding, and now is the time to cement their marriage. And Anglesey provides the perfect surroundings for that, in my opinion.
I agree Skippy. Also wanted to add in the way William's change from 2 years ago I'd say 2 years ago I felt like William was retreating into his shell. He didn't seem happy with where his life was going didn't seem to want to do royal duties as such. Atleast that's how it seemed personally to me. Now I feel he wants it much more and he seems much more into his work and his charities and wants to do more and explore with his options. Also your welcome Royal Newbie.

Well Kitty for me I find them remarkable just through their personality and spirit more so. I haven't seen 2 people especially members of a royal family so happy and so down to earth and approachable in a long time so that's why I used the word remarkable.

I enjoyed the "Kate in Canada" documentary. At first I too scoffed at the name, but it was well done and interesting. I disagreed though, with the magazine editor (?) who said that everyone was shouting for Kate and she overshadowed William. I think the overshadowing part is true for forums and media, but at the actual event there was reasonably equal interest in both of them.

Totally. I mean obviously everyone wished they could have greeted both of them. It's only normal for everyone to want to get a glimpse of the new bridge but this time I heard chants for both William and Kate so no definitely no repeat of the 83 tour

Great article
Yellowknife's royal afterglow

2 other great articles
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/ca...utting-canada-in-spotlight.html?domain=fpnews
http://www.torontosun.com/2011/06/30/adoring-crowd-greets-will-and-kate

Very cute both Wills and Kate spoke french to the children at the hospital in Montreal
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/bgaqer

Last edited:
I like Their tour to Canada.Many Catherine's outfits appealed me.Excepet this it was very spontanious and well-organized.

how wonderful that catherine and the girl had their picture taken together. would any other royal have let that happen? :flowers:

Once again this shows just how much both Will and Kate get into the mood of what they're doing and they actually really enjoy meeting the people and talking with them and put it on as much as a personal level as they possibly can. That one picture that was snapped of Kate with someone in the crowd is probably going to have a place of honor in that person's home for the rest of their life.

I also noticed that its team WillandKate charisma. Had to laugh as the person filming for a few minutes there probably wished she had two cameras so she could follow both William and Kate at the same time rather than scan back and forth between the two. :)

how wonderful that catherine and the girl had their picture taken together. would any other royal have let that happen? :flowers:

I think William did take a picture with a fan when he was visiting St. Andrew's in February. It was very sweet to see.

Osipi, if I were in that girl's position, I'd back that picture up ten times over (leave it on my camera in case computer and external hard drive go), and frame the printed copy. Sounds a bit obsessive, but my old computer crashed, and a lot of my pictures with various theatre actors were lost. I still have them on my facebook, but I hated that I lost them anyway.

Last edited:
I think William did take a picture with a fan when he was visiting St. Andrew's in February. It was very sweet to see.

Osipi, if I were in that girl's position, I'd back that picture up ten times over (leave it on my camera in case computer and external hard drive go), and frame the printed copy. Sounds a bit obsessive, but my old computer crashed, and a lot of my pictures with various theatre actors were lost. I still have them on my facebook, but I hated that I lost them anyway.

Oh most definitely LOTS of backups! I was just thinking that years down the line, that woman could look at her grandchildren and say "See.... Gramma DID have her picture taken with the Queen!"

Argh I'm trying to rip the videos off CPAC's website but I can't. Stream Transport won't recognize it can anyone help me out? Anyone able to get the royal tour videos on that site to rip? Replay Media Catcher rips it but I only have the demo version.Could anyone help me out?

Last edited:
Argh I'm trying to rip the videos off CPAC's website but I can't. Stream Transport won't recognize it can anyone help me out? Anyone able to get the royal tour videos on that site to rip? Replay Media Catcher rips it but I only have the demo version.Could anyone help me out?

I have typed 'royal tour' in the Search bar and a list with results come up. Do you want all those videos?

Oh most definitely LOTS of backups! I was just thinking that years down the line, that woman could look at her grandchildren and say "See.... Gramma DID have her picture taken with the Queen!"

That would be a great momento to have. I think having pictures with the people you meet at events like these adds a personal touch. I know that many worry about those pictures being sold on eBay, but I look at it this way; this is my memory, and has meaning only to me. I was there and waited to meet the person and have a chance to chat (picture being the bonus, since sometimes there's no time for those), so why would I want to sell that to a person who only wants the famous face (probably to sell again anyway)? Needless to say, my pictures with various theatre personalities are my keepsakes.

That would be a great momento to have. I think having pictures with the people you meet at events like these adds a personal touch. I know that many worry about those pictures being sold on eBay, but I look at it this way; this is my memory, and has meaning only to me. I was there and waited to meet the person and have a chance to chat (picture being the bonus, since sometimes there's no time for those), so why would I want to sell that to a person who only wants the famous face (probably to sell again anyway)? Needless to say, my pictures with various theatre personalities are my keepsakes.
I've only ever met Camilla but I would never in my life sell that photo. Honestly I'd have to have like amnesia or something in order for me to sell that photo.:lol:

I've only ever met Camilla but I would never in my life sell that photo. Honestly I'd have to have like amnesia or something in order for me to sell that photo.:lol:

Were you able to get a picture with her, or just of her? What a lovely memory in any case.

Were you able to get a picture with her, or just of her? What a lovely memory in any case.
You know I had never seen anyone ask a member of the royal family for a picture with them so I didn't bother to ask which was dumb on my part but it all went by kinda fast. I did manage to get a picture of her holding my flowers which is super special to me cause her lady in waiting I assume came to get the flowers from her and she said " no no I want to carry them". Oh and did I mention she was also juggling an umbrella in the same hand?! So that made me feel totally special. So totally one of the best moments of my life so far and a memory I'll forever treasure. It was so special cause when she came I was soaked and couldn't feel my fingers we had waited out there forever and it was pouring so hard but it was totally worth it. We weren't even sure she was going to stop cause she was running a little bit late and they wanted to start the luncheon and presentation asap, so I was a bit scared that all that waiting had been for nothing but luckily it turned out great. Yep kinda went off topic there but it's still such a great moment that everytime I think about I just can't help but re-tell the whole story.

Last edited:
You know I had never seen anyone ask a member of the royal family for a picture with them so I didn't bother to ask which was dumb on my part but it all went by kinda fast. I did manage to get a picture of her holding my flowers which is super special to me cause her lady in waiting I assume came to get the flowers from her and she said " no no I want to carry them" which made me feel totally special. So totally one of the best moments of my life so far and a memory I'll forever treasure. It was so special cause when she came I was soaked and couldn't feel my fingers we had waited out there forever and it was pouring so hard but it was totally worth it.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm glad she liked your flowers.

No prob happy to share and relive the experience! Hopefully they'll return to Canada soon and this time come to Vancouver. I'd love to see them.

The Prince of Wales is worried about the press coverage of the Duke's and the Duchess's visit to Canada.:ermm:
Article in French
Google translation

This doesn't sound overly feasible to me. Of course wherever William and Kate go now, they're going to draw a huge following! They've been in the eye of the media almost constantly since the day they got engaged. When you look at the demographics, Will and Kate are far more likely to draw more of the younger set towards the monarchy, what it stands for and what it does than a senior citizen (ok senior prince). Just as today more people would probably show up to see Justin Beiber than a reunion of Herman's Hermits. Its all in the interests of different generations.

I'm sure that there were times during the Diana years that Charles did feel overshadowed by her... he is a sensitive soul in that respect but as far as the Cambridges' Canadian/US tour, I would more likely picture him as a proud papa and grinning ear to ear. Charles is NOT that shallow.

"A source said that Prince Charles would try to make a change now in order to attract more fans."

Oh, dear, I hope this doesn't mean a Justin Bieber haircut.

Now that second article did seem to portray Charles in a much better light. I think both William and Charles are usually level headed men and Kate seems pretty much down to earth and not the type that would have the limelight go to her head. Even though, I am glad they are going to be laying low for a while and just getting on with married life. They have a lifetime to work up towards being full working royals.

I think it must terrify Charles to see what is appearing to be the same media frenzy over William and Kate that happened with Diana. I'd think William is probably a bit concerned about it as well.

Much better that they are allowed to keep as low a profile as possible. Sounds like a more remote location is Wales is a good spot for them.

MM

I think it must terrify Charles to see what is appearing to be the same media frenzy over William and Kate that happened with Diana. I'd think William is probably a bit concerned about it as well.

Much better that they are allowed to keep as low a profile as possible. Sounds like a more remote location is Wales is a good spot for them.

MM
Indeed. however I believe from what I have seen of the couple they both have some very well screwed on heads. Bully for them!

MM

But will they be allowed to?

Their Canadian tour was such a huge success that now there's pressure for them to undertake more royal duties.

It's been said William would like to extend his military service, but it's hard to see how he can with these engagements proliferating like dandelions!

And yet, it's also desirable for William and Kate to build on their current popularity for the future. It's important that their people love them, and how are they supposed to do that if William and Kate are holed up in Wales?

Collective memories are short; they need to make hay while the sun shines!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom