Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Tour of Australia - April 16-25, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Try The Sydney Telegraph roseroyal...

...Where are the still photos of Catherine with the young lady with down syndrome?
...There are a couple of photos of 22 year old Joscelyn Sweeney online there today - one with the Duchess, and one with her sister and father.
I can't attach links from my tablet, but the heading is ''Royal arrival: Sydney turns out to meet'' etc.

And something must be happening at 1.00pm local time- Channel 7 has a Royal news special going to air.
Channel 9 was so excited yesterday, they even cut into the ads whenever the Royals moved, and they crossed back over for the action.
Everyone must still be at Admiralty House I think - the helicopters are still hovering above.
(10.18am local time.)
Cheers, Sun Lion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you think that William (who seemingly thought her green dress "too bright"), thought it made her look like a cucumber (or a zucchini)? She needs a snappy comment about his blue suits- make him look like Postman Pat, perhaps? My husband and I have a million little jokes between us which seldom make an appearance in front of others, and so far, never in the world press.

Here's what's happening in the Blue Mountains today-
Beautiful day in the Blue Mountains Locals gathering outside Yellow Rock Girl Guides Hall #RoyalVisitAus @702sydney pic.twitter.com/OJeLsWVBvM

— Lawrence Champness (@champy) April 17, 2014
11:10am - The royals will meet Winmalee locals recovering the from the October 2013 bushfires
11:25am - Winmalee Girl Guides Hall - the royals will meet bushfire brigade members who were involve din fighting the bushfires.
12:35 - 1:15 - the tourists will travel up to Echo point in Katoomba to see the Three Sisters
1:30 -1:40 - travelling to Narrow Neck Lookout
2:30 The royals will leave Narrow Neck Lookout and return to Sydney
Live Blog: Royal visit to NZ - National - NZ Herald News

Reuters Live Stream ‏@ReutersStream 39m
REVISED *LIVE* 0110-0125GMT AUSTRALIA-ROYALS/BLUE MOUNTAINS http://bit.ly/1gII1at - VIEW http://bit.ly/wJQ6vL

By Helicopter

Live broadcast on Australian TV.
The Duke and Duchess have just touched down in the Blue Mts.
They travelled by Navy helicopter and landed at the Winmalee footy oval.
The Duchess dressed in long-sleeved dress.

P.S. Two military helicopters flew - these were the ones hovering over Admiralty House earlier - MRH90s, new helicopters for the Navy.
TV also showing footage of the two military helicopters flying away from Admiralty House over the top of the Harbour Bridge.
Traffic backlog as the Royals travelled across the Harbour Bridge and Cahill Expressway - traffic was actually stopped on the Cahill Expressway to allow the Royals through - to the Victoria Barracks in Paddington, where they boarded the helicopter at 10.40am.

Reports that W and C won't be abseiling - just watching.

First look at Prince William & Kate arriving at the Blue Mountains #RoyalVisitAus pic.twitter.com/ny82GIqZiY
William & Kate meeting navy chopper crew, before flying to the Blue Mountains.Coverage from 11am @9newsSyd @9newsAUS pic.twitter.com/ZkGRHo56uE

Live Video Coverage:
http://www.livestation.com/reuters?source=redirect

Starting with one tree
The royals will help plant a tree at the Springwood-Winmalee Girl Guides hall after all trees on their grounds were lost during the bushfires last October.
#RoyalVisitAUS a tree to be planted(well, a bit more) by the Cambridges at the Winmalee Girl Guides in the BluMts. pic.twitter.com/dNYXIVNaSK
— Damien Smith (@DamienSmith_7) April 17, 2014
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11232364

Kate wrapped up in DVF
The fashionistas have called it - Kate is wearing a blue and white Diane von Furstenburg "Patrice" wrap dress today. DVF is of course credited with popularising the style of dress.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11232364
Nine News Australia@9NewsAUS 5m
The Duchess greeting the firefighters who saved lives during last year's bushfires in the #BlueMountains. #9News pic.twitter.com/peJxMBAeNl
Will and Kate talking to the @NSWRFS at #Winmalee Girl Guides Hall. #9News pic.twitter.com/qjcfIq1Gzw
The Duchess of Cambridge listening closely to experiences surrounding the bushfires #RoyalVisitAus pic.twitter.com/oYYCOizVBf
And here's Prince William talking to firefighters #BlueMountains #RoyalVisitAus pic.twitter.com/5FO6pPwqJ5
Very cute. Will and Kate planted a tree and posed for pics with primary school kids who said "Princess" instead of our normal "cheese".

Late For The Sausage Sizzle.

The Duke and Duchess ran late for the sausage sizzle with the bush fire-fighters at the Winmalee Girl Guides Hall, as only ten minutes had been allocated for the private meeting with the residents of Bella Vista St - but they stayed for half an hour.

The Duchess was shown sitting on the grass, reading a book with some of the children.

Reporters are still hoping there will be a last minute change of mind, and W and C will go abseiling.

Expecting some nice photos at Echo Point.

The Queen's parents - in 1927 - and the Queen, have been photographed there.

Cheers Everyone, Sun Lion.

They stayed for half an hour at the sizzle- or at the street?
Either or not surprised.
Cannot wait for photos of the children and the Duchess.

Heard William on the live stream say that he will probably get talked into abseiling. Look forward to seeing that tomorrow.

Night all.

They stayed for half an hour at the sizzle- or at the street?
Sorry roseroyal - they ran late getting to the sausage sizzle at the Girl Giude Hall, as they were only meant to spend ten minutes with the residents of Bella Vista St, but ended up being there for half an hour.

Hope you saw the footage.
A helicopter moved around a large pine tree and filmed W and C with a family.
The Duchess got down on the ground to look at a book with the children. The Duke moved over and looked down at it too.
Very good footage at the lunch with the fire-fighters - closeups, and with sound, so we could hear what was being said.
I'm checking out the other TV channel now to see what they're showing.
Cheers, Sun Lion.

Arrived At Echo Point

Rob Jobson in Channel 7 TV studio for this broadcast. (Katie Nicholl was on rival Channel 9 yesterday.)
The Duke and Duchess have just arrived at Echo Point.
They met some Aboriginal elders and recieved some gifts.
The Duchess kept feeling the fur - it looked like kangaroo. (No reports on what the gifts were yet.)

Now 1.45pm local time and the Royal party are moving onto Narrow Neck Lookout.

P.S. One woman left home at 1.30am this morning to get to Echo Point for the fifteen minute event.

P.S. Now known, gifts were kangaroo pelts for W and C, bookmarks with Aboriginal artwork and a possum fur cloak for PG.

Last edited:
I have to give it to William & Catherine, they are working very hard on this tour. Just watching them carry out they're official duties on this tour leaves me tired.

Exactly my thoughts. Seeing some of the live footage you get a very different feel to seeing edited highlights or individual pics.
Hope they can maintain their enthusiasm and stamina throughout this second leg of the tour.

A much needed boost for the Mountains-
"Child and family health nurse Decalie Brown, 56, was one of the lucky few to meet the Duke of Cambridge at Echo point:
William came over and spoke to a lot of people, he took some plants, gifts, envelopes, shook people's hands and spoke to them ... They didn't need to come to the Blue Mountains but it's great they did, the area needs a boost.
Blue Mountains mayor Craig Greenhill said there was "great excitement" among townspeople who were keen to get a glimpse of William and Kate, and he hoped the media coverage would show the region was open for business:
The economy has not recovered from the fires and we need to attract visitors back to the mountains ... This coverage will bring people back."
Live Blog: Royal visit to NZ - National - NZ Herald News

Rebecca English ‏@RE_DailyMail 1m
Kate told a girl at Echo Point today that Prince George was 'cute but very, very loud'. Said he might scare the animals at Taronga Zoo!

Exactly my thoughts. Seeing some of the live footage you get a very different feel to seeing edited highlights or individual pics. Hope they can maintain their enthusiasm and stamina throughout this second leg of the tour.
They're really working their tails off on this tour. George seems to be handling the travels very well. His facial expressions reminds me of The Queen's expressions. He just cracks me up. He also seems to be a very busy little boy. You're not going to find him sitting and waiting to be picked up because it seems like he will make his way to places all on his own. I think William has mentioned that George keeps him and Catherine on their toes.

Rebecca English ‏@RE_DailyMail 7m
So sweet: Ellie Girdler, 5, dressed in a pink party dress, said of Kate 'She had a really lovely voice - like she was from another country'

I've just caught up with an interview given on TV yesterday by Glenn Davies, who will be preaching a sermon about Resurrection, based on the story of Lazarus, to the Duke and Duchess on Easter Sunday morning. He said the Cathederal has been inundated with requests by people to attend - who've had to be turned down as the Cathederal will be at full capacty at eight hundred already. He said it will be a private service without media - not a ''showcase''.

Now revealed that the gifts from the Aboriginal elders at Echo Point included a possum fur cloak for little PG.
Local time is 3.10pm, and the Royal party is back in the air on their way down to Sydney now.

They watched the abseiling - didn't take part - but W went right to the edge and looked down. (Don't blame C for holding back in those shoes on the rock surface.)

Evening news showing the Duke and Australia's Prime Minister meeting inside Admiralty House. Also footage of the sausages sizzling on the barbie, but the Duke and the Duchess didn't eat any.

P.S. Tomorrow the Duke and Duchess will visit the sheep pavilion, and produce and crafts, at the Royal Easter Show.

I agree that the Duke and Duchess are working extremely hard; I was amazed, watching a 6-minute video filmed by a member of the crowd in Dunedin the other day, at the amount of emotional energy that must be expended in talking with so many strangers so briefly, yet managing to make each encounter seem meaningful; maintaining evident good humour and interest in all that is going on. I'm very impressed and delighted.

Drama on the Royal tour: Pair 'acting suspiciously' and harassing crowd just metres from Kate and William are stopped and searched-
Pair 'acting suspiciously' and harassing crowd just metres from Kate and William | Mail Online

Prince William meets Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott... but Kate and George give the political greet a miss-
Prince William meets Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott | Mail Online

Come away from the edge, William! Duke of Cambridge gets a little too close to cliff at beauty spot in Australia after meeting victims of bushfires with Kate-
Duke of Cambridge gets a little too close to cliff at beauty spot in Australia after meeting victims of bushfires with Kate | Mail Online

As always, it's a pleasure to watch this couple work the crowd. They hsve amazing 'people' skills. I loved seeing William interacting with the little girl in a pink dress, and that he got Kate involved too. I can only imagine how exhausted they must feel. Being around people can drain you quite rapidly.

Sent from my SM-N900T using The Royals Community mobile app

I'm sorry, but the comment about the young lady that met the Cambridges on the tarmac 'suffering' from Down Syndrome really irked me...
I agree- suffering was the wrong word.
I've been trying to think of a better word. What would you find acceptable?

Just take "suffering" out, with Down's Syndrome or anything else that is not temporary, for example with eyeglasses, with an artificial leg,with blue eyes, more factual.
You could say "suffering from" a broken leg...

Last edited:
She looked very pretty even if the dress is nothing special IMO. It reminds me of this Erdem she wore during her pregnancy.I don't know why though:

Kate Middleton Photos - Kate Middleton Visits a Primary School - Zimbio

The only thing that bothers me : Why is STILL wearing those horrible wedges? Sorry but there's an occasion for everything and it wasn't ideal to were such shoes high on a mountains! At the vinyard she almost slipped and today she didn't have a go because of her shoes. She said the same thing when she didn't try badmington in October at Sportsaid and she specifically said itwas due to her shoes.

Duke & Duchess of Cambridge: Tour of Australasia- the Australian Leg 16-25 Ap...

I agree- suffering was the wrong word.
For me, the best way is just saying 'an individual with...', so that it's always person first. We need to remember that it's the individual who has the condition, and not the condition that has the individual. Also, having worked with kids that have DS, I can tell you, there's no suffering. They're like any other children, with strengths, hopes, dreams, and areas of struggles.

The Cambridges are fortunate to be seeing some of the most beautiful scenery that NZ and Australia have to offer.

As for William telling his wife that she looked like a banana in yellow - hopefully he will keep his mouth shut when around his grandmother since yellow is supposidly one of her favorite colors.

Did he say that within earshot of reporters or did someone leak it? Hopefully, they were goofing off which would be a really good thing, as he seems so glum most of the time. Anyway, that's something a smart-@ss husband would say.

Back
Top Bottom