Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Tour of Australia - April 16-25, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Guys I think we need to calm down about this situation. It was a picture of a little slip of the wind catching Catherine's dress that shouldn't have been published and mocked. It really was a low blow, IMO.

This may have happened a few times to The Duchess of Cambridge and it's very fair to say that Catherine should wear different dresses or put weights in her hems. I think she has made adjustments to her clothing to stop these things from happening. When Catherine landed in the helicopter she was being a proper lady and held her dress down due to the wind the helicopter was producing. The picture only came about when the wind caught it too much for a split second. She did nothing wrong but a lone picture of the moment shouldn't have been used to make the main headlines. It was just bad taste in general.

Although this may have happened a few times to Catherine, I think it's going way overboard, just dramatic and very much unnecessary to say that Catherine isn't conducting herself with pose, grace and dignity as an HRH, Duchess if Cambridge, representative of The Queen and as a future Queen. She has done nothing but conducted herself with lots of respect and confidence in her role as William's wife. Yes, she's still an amateur at making speeches but over time she will get better at that. That really do take time to get the hang of. She's friendly, smile when she's meeting people and the people she has met really do seem to like her. Although she could be doing more duties, she's good and adjusting to her royal life pretty nicely.

I think it's very much unfair to look at these very few incidences and draw the conclusion that Catherine is failing in her royal life. That's simply not true at all and many people (including her husband) would agree.

And don't use the excuse that it's okay to do this because this has happened before..........so what!
That it happened before and on so many occasions is why photographers keep their fingers on the button when Catherine is "On Duty". Such a photo commands a goodly amount of money and, since it is snapped in a public place there is no question of "stalking", or any other accusation that would stand up in a court of law.

Unfortunately, it is simple economics. Such photos generate income because when you consider the sheer number of photographers and the thousands, if not millions, of shots taken following the royals on their tour down under, the competition to get a saleable snap is ferocious and a snap like that is mana from heaven.

I seem to have missed the fun here today while I was on an excursion with my Year 10s - and the boys on that excursion had some juicy things to say about Kate and her butt - and none of them complementary to Kate. In the view of these 15 year old boys - Kate is a ***** for not wearing underwear in a public place and while on a public duty and deserves to be ridiculed as a result. The girls didn't defend Kate as to them the important thing when wearing no underwear when outside is to ensure that the only person who knows is the girl themselves and that any girl who would allow themselves to be photographed like that - no matter the circumstances - has no self-respect and no respect for the people who might see them.

Roslyn and Ish - go ladies as you are so right.

Another colleague told me that at his pub last night they were setting up a 'book' betting on the next time Kate flashes and what part of her anatomy that should be kept for William will be on display. Nearly $2000 was taken in bets last night alone and they have asked when it will become a regular option on the TAB (the local means of making legal bets here).

To the people who don't want to see any criticism of Kate - I am sorry but that is called sycophancy and says more about the person rather than Kate. Constructive criticism is actually a healthy approach to the behaviour of any person.

I have said this before - if this was the first time Kate had had such a malfunction it would be forgivable but to have it happen again and again says that she is refusing to learn from her mistakes. That indicates that she is probably surrounding herself with sycophant and 'yes ma'am' people who daren't tell her the truth and are protecting her from the reaction of the public and that isn't healthy for her either.

If this is the last time this happens - then that is a good thing - but I am not holding my breath - I said that when it happened in Canada and every time since but now I am saying it is time for Kate to take the necessary action to prevent it happening again. She needs to remember she is NOT an ordinary wife and mother but the future Queen Consort of 16 different countries.

That it happened before and on so many occasions...
It hasn't happened "on so many occasions" maybe three times at most.

Last edited by a moderator:
Catherine is doing something right to so rankle our Aussie republican friends :lol:

The more certain people keep droning on about this non-event the more their true colours come shining through

From a different angle...how charming it would have been for Kate's skirt to billow in the wind and she was wearing really cute panties, you know, with frills like little girls wear. That would have been really cute, everyone would have said it was cute and that would have been the end of the story. Nothing cuter than a well-formed butt wearing ruffles.

From a different angle...how charming it would have been for Kate's skirt to billow in the wind and she was wearing really cute panties, you know, with frills like little girls wear. That would have been really cute, everyone would have said it was cute and that would have been the end of the story. Nothing cuter than a well-formed butt wearing ruffles.

TBH, I was thinking how amusing it would have been if she had a tattoo on her butt. Something like "I heart Big Willie" or something totally unexpected of Kate. Imagine the furor on that one!

Ish, Iluvbertie and Roslyn, well done! I agree 100% with your last comments.

I particularly agree with Ish; to me the import of letting people know about these photos is not so we can all gave at her bare butt (I've seen it before, and then some, frankly, nothing new here), and we can all gaze at any woman's behind if we so choose, it's not mysogyny - to me the issue is that when she's out representing the British people on such an important tour, she should be dressed appropriately, proper underwear and all. To suggest that Kate was being preyed upon here (unlike the French photos), or this is misogyny is in fact sycophancy - to never acknowledge that Kate had some part in this - and the fact that it keeps happening makes me wonder just what that part is - I agree with ILB on this

And I agree with Roslyn - I'd have sold the photos too. And I do have a conscience. If it happened to the Queen or some other hardworking royal, I'd never do it. Why? Because I would assume it was inadvertent and disrespectful to a person who has done so much for his/her country. But I can no longer assume it's inadvertent with Kate - nor do I hold her in the same esteem as some of the other royals. To me she's just a celebrity because that's how she behaves.

Will and Kate have to realize as well the changing times they live in - with the internet and social media it is no longer the formal "press" they have to keep under control and work with - now the entire world is the "press" - the lines are blurred.

Imagine if this were Michele Obama? Some of the same American posters here would have something completely different to say. :whistling:

Ish, Iluvbertie and Roslyn, well done! I agree 100% with your last comments.
You agree with everything that is negative about her . No surprise there.
GracieGiraffe said:
And I agree with Roslyn - I'd have sold the photos too.
Of course you would. What does that say about you?
Women unfortunately are there own worst enemy. Very sad.

:previous: Wow, you actually think it's okay to sell the picture of Catherine's blowing dress because it has happened to her before? That don't sound good at all.

I think people have gotten way carried away with this incident.

:previous: Wow, you actually think it's okay to sell the picture of Catherine's blowing dress because it has happened to her before? That don't sound good at all.

I think people have gotten way carried away with this incident.

Your language suggests Kate has had nothing to do with these incidents, and I disagree. She had a role to play in this - that's my point. It was not inadvertent at this point, it has happened time and time again. I'd never to it to anyone who I thought had an inadvertent wardrobe malfunction.

And as for misogyny, if I'd have been in Vegas, I'd have sold Harry's pics too.

I can only speak for myself, but I can assure you that this I'd be annoyed if a mishap involving Mrs. Obama was being shown publicly. (And I have never voted for her husband.;)) No person deserves this type of treatment be they a well-known public figure to the average person on the street. IMHO there is no grey area when it shielding someone from public embarrassment as this type of situation. If I was the person who managed to photograph the event then I'd destroy the image.

No matter how much we try to question the photographer's values and conscience and no matter whether we would have done the same or not (ie, selling the pic vs destroying), that doesn't excuse Kate who, by now, should know too well that wearing this kind of dresses has its risks.

Why doesn't this thread get locked? I mean how much more of this absurdity must we endure.
We have on one side the people who think its wrong to prey on women and make money off an embarrassing photo and on the other side we have the usual "Kate is to blame for everything" crowd who only like to chime in when they think it will score points against the duchess.

I know what side of the fence I'm on

I seem to have missed the fun here today while I was on an excursion with my Year 10s - and the boys on that excursion had some juicy things to say about Kate and her butt - and none of them complementary to Kate. In the view of these 15 year old boys - Kate is a ***** for not wearing underwear in a public place and while on a public duty and deserves to be ridiculed as a result.

Wow ... and you allowed them to talk that way about another woman? :ermm: What age is Year 10 ... is that 15 or 16? I hope by the time they're ready to find a wife, they've learned to show a little respect for the opposite sex, no matter the occasion.

How many pages have been dedicated to this?? I would say it’s more than enough for it to warrant it’s own thread. Geez.. the energy people put into this when there are far more important things to discuss.

Also: Bustle

Your language suggests Kate has had nothing to do with these incidents, and I disagree. She had a role to play in this - that's my point. It was not inadvertent at this point, it has happened time and time again. I'd never to it to anyone who I thought had an inadvertent wardrobe malfunction.

And as for misogyny, if I'd have been in Vegas, I'd have sold Harry's pics too.

The dress Catherine wore on the official engagement to the Blue Mountains was perfectly fine and she didn't suffer any wardrobe malfunctions while performing the engagement. It was when the helicopter landed in a field several minutes away from the official engagement that the wind caught on to Catherine's dress, GracieGiraffe. Only two or so pictures was produced of their landing and there was no coverage provided for their landing either. I was watching the coverage. Catherine was pictured holding down her dress while disembarking from the helicopter, just like any proper lady would.

Catherine and many other royal or none royal ladies don't mean for stuff like that to happen but it do from time to time. It's one of the many hassles ladies have when wearing a dress outside.

I just think it's wrong to come to the conclusion that Catherine don't deserve the respect as many of her royal counterparts. She has done nothing to embarrass The Queen or her position. This kind of thing has been happening to the royals for a very long time. If The Queen isn't wrestling with her dresses then it's her hats. Camilla often wrestle with her dresses and so does Princess Beatrice. We have seen her spanx too. We now know that Camilla have a birthmark on the inside of one of her thighs due to her dress blowing up. Diana, Sarah, Margaret and even The Queen Mother has gone though these moments and several times over. I don't think it reduces their respect and position at all.

Catherine isn't going to have an easy time when performing her official engagements. There will be wardrobe malfunctions, her heels may get caught in a crack in the ground or hat blow off in the wind (happened to Crown Princess Mary of Denmark several times) she may even trip in public, bump into someone or and miss-pronounce some words while making a speech (this too has happened to her and many other royals).

If these little incidents have embarrassed The Queen, damaged her reputation as a senior royal or even as a future Queen Consort then many of the other royals aren't fit to be in their position either. They should step down from their positions, quit public life and get find some "perfect" people to fulfill their positions. That's only fair, IMO.

Last edited:
^^^Let's not make assumptions based upon nationality.

[ed Warren: the quoted post was subsequently deleted by the poster]

I am an American and as long as others are voicing what they would do or wouldn't do, I'll jump in and state that I would have deleted the picture. Not because I don't need money and not because of any views on sexism. I would delete it because I truly believe that what goes around comes around and its what I give out in this world that returns to me.

Should these pictures have been of me and gone viral with discussions continuing for days upon days, I would be feeling embarrassed, humiliated and objectified. Not emotions I'd want in my life so why would I wish them on others?

Just my point of view.

Wow ... and you allowed them to talk that way about another woman? :ermm: What age is Year 10 ... is that 15 or 16? I hope by the time they're ready to find a wife, they've learned to show a little respect for the opposite sex, no matter the occasion.

I have to say that as an educator I would not have permitted this type of discussion to happen in the classroom, on a field trip etc...if I was the adult in charge. It would have been the perfect "teachable moment" to educate them on respect for their fellow human beings.

...I truly believe that what goes around comes around and its what I give out in this world that returns to me.
Perfectly stated Osipi.

[ed Warren: quoted post subsequently deleted by the poster]

...There are plenty of us Americans who...think that the pictures of Catherine and those of Harry did not need to be printed.
And although I am not a fan of Hillary or Michelle, I would be appalled at the photographer who would demean them. I would be surprised if a photographer here woul dare to do that to either of them.
As for Catherine, I am surprised at the intensity of dislike for her. She is only 30 years old. And I'm just amazed at how much I've learned in the 40 years since I was 30. ��.

Could we please cut her some slack? I think she's a beautiful young woman who has brought a lot of happiness to Pr William.
Maybe we could each send her some pantaloons. ��

And, I do like the suggestion made of little girl ruffles. Of course, any of us would love to wear weights in our skirts! Right?

...any girl who would allow themselves to be photographed like that - no matter the circumstances - has no self-respect and no respect for the people who might see them.
Since when did Catherine *ALLOW, ENCOURAGE, ASK, and PURPOSELY SHOW HER BUTT TO THE WORLD*?

Think about it Iluvbertie, this happened because she wanted it to........give me a break. And so what if it happened again and again, she will learn from her mistakes as we all do.........you, me and the rest of the world, it takes time and she is no nobody's time table but her own. This is just wrong in all sense of human decency regardless of how anyone wants to put it........from your comment it seems that the young people today sure in the heck are being brought up way different then what young people in the past have been brought up.....or else it's just the low morals these kids today are seeing through social media.......TELL ME, WHEN IS IT OKAY TO TAKE A PICTURE OF ANYONE'S BUTT AND THEN SELL IT...........NOBODY HAS AN ANSWER FOR THAT?

No person deserves this type of treatment be they a well-known public figure to the average person on the street. IMHO there is no grey area when it shielding someone from public embarrassment as this type of situation. .
I just am appalled at the idea that someone here or elsewhere thinks this is an okay thing to do........take pictures of someone's butt, (be it Catherine or anyone else who is a public figure) and then sell it to make money, what in the hell is happening to this world? Is money everybody's GOD or what, I can assure you that I would have destroyed these pictures and I need money just as much as some of do, yet I chose to believe that I am a better person then those that sell their soul for a damn dollar regardless of how many dollars are involved. I have had money, lots of it and spent it and then through no circumstances that I could control lost it, 99% of it, and that was decades ago, and yet to this day I have no regrets because I know that money can't make me happy or a better person then I am today. It, money, only buys things, or people, it doesn't make the soul, heart, or mind a better part of you.

...I truly believe that what goes around comes around and its what I give out in this world that returns to me.
:flowers::flowers::flowers:Thank you...I am also of the belief that what goes around comes right back at you and I have seen Karma at work....and I sure don't want anything ugly/bad/mean or hateful coming back to bite me anytime in my life and It has happened to bite me and I learnt my lessons big time. Being a decent human being isn't hard, being a person of low morals and bad character is very hard and takes up too much negative energy.

...the boys on that excursion had some juicy things to say about Kate and her butt - and none of them complementary to Kate. In the view of these 15 year old boys - Kate is a ***** for not wearing underwear...and deserves to be ridiculed...
Please tell me you shut this discussion down and corrected them. Kate is no way a ***** because she had a wardrobe malfunction. I find it quite sad that women are held to such a different standard. Prince Philip flashes the goods while on public duty and no one calls him out, yet Kate gets called all kinds of derogatory names.

I have to say that as an educator I would not have permitted this type of discussion to happen in the classroom, on a field trip etc...if I was the adult in charge. It would have been the perfect "teachable moment" to educate them on respect for their fellow human beings.
:flowers:

Where are the moderators here? I cannot believe the extent to which this thread has careened out of control: people calling out entire citizenships, relating (and sort of congratulating themselves on) how their teenage students were allowed to call an adult obscenities in their presence, posters on both sides "yelling" at each other (electronically speaking), etc.

I don't care what side of this ridiculous debate you're on - stop this insanity. Enough is enough. :bang::bang::mad::mad:

Well this moderator is at work and can't do a proper cleanup. But I will close this thread so that everyone can take a step back and regroup.

Seriously.

Well those Royal Forums posters who thought the visit by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge would boost tourism - take a bow, you were right.

A report today says local airline "Jetstar" is now flying direct between Melbourne and Uluru four days a week.

Previously people had to take a chartered flight, or travel via Sydney.

(And chartered weekend flights are full for twelve weeks.)

"Jetstar" is a budget airline, and the direct Melbourne flights make for a cheap and easy getaway.

The flights from Sydney to Uluru have also been increased, and now fly daily.

The article quotes the "Jetstar" CEO David Hall as crediting the Royal visit with putting Uluru back in the "limelight".

:previous: That's great news for the businesses at Uluru, isn't it! :flowers:

:previous: That's great news for the businesses at Uluru, isn't it! :flowers:

It sure is Roslyn, (hi, hope you're going well), as earlier this year I read - in "The Australian" newspaper I think - that the local indigenous land council had brought some tourist ventures at Uluru, against ministerial advice and at too high a price, and were on the verge of bankruptcy.

I think this was why the Duke and Duchess had this on their schedule - not just for the photo ops to follow W's parents - but someone somewhere hoped such a result would follow, and turn the tide for those trying to make a go of it there.

Back
Top Bottom