Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Tour of Australia - April 16-25, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When she will behave like other royal princesses and will put weights on her skirts/dresses, we won't have these discussion and pics...

Prince Philip wouldn't agree with that...
Neither would William or Frederik, caught peeing against a bush or from a boat.

What a bummer! :D
Oh please, cry more tears for the men :nonono:
Men are not harrassed or discriminated against because of their gender.

Last edited by a moderator:
When she got off the plane in the red dress carrying George and there were the high winds those skirts went pretty high..the world almost got to see things they shouldn't.

One one think that would give her more of a sense of caution. I don't think she is doing anything deliberately...I think she is just not taking her wardrobe mishaps seriously enough when it comes to making sure to do everything she can so that it doesn't happen again.

If she doesn't want to wear weights then she needs to change the style of dress and/or move into wearing pants during the times when exposure would be at the greatest risk.

LaRae

While I feel for Kate, this isn't the first time this has happened. As she is the most photographed woman in the world, perhaps she should think about purchasing better underwear for public events.

They make those boy short type underwear ...at least if she had a mishap all you would see is something similar to a pair of shorts like the runners wear.

LaRae

If she doesn't want to wear weights then she needs to change the style of dress and/or move into wearing pants during the times when exposure would be at the greatest risk.
LaRae

Totally agree. Then we could move on to occupying ourselves with thoughts of the cause for which she is appearing, and not be distracted by what she is showing us of her own body. After all, her association with a cause is supposed to benefit the cause. That's her purpose.

I don't understand why this incident is referred to breach of privacy, its not a picture that was taken on a private event or on holiday. This picture was taken at an official event. So exactly how is it breach of privacy. In this incident, I would only blame Kate unfortunately for not thinking twice before stepping out. At the end of this, it's an unfortunate thing that happened.

Totally agree. Then we could move on to occupying ourselves with thoughts of the cause for which she is appearing, and not be distracted by what she is showing us of her own body. After all, her association with a cause is supposed to benefit the cause. That's her purpose.

I like Kate...think she is good for the royal family. She just needs to get it together with her wardrobe people so we don't have to talk about this again.

LaRae

The entire Blue Mountain engagement went just fine and Catherine's dress didn't blow in the wind during it. It was when they landed in the helicopter before traveling by car to the engagement that the wind got the better of her dress just that split second. In the very few pictures (maybe two) that were published of them disembarking from the helicopter Catherine was seen holding her dress when coming off the helicopter. She was simply doing what she was suppose to do and being a lady in a windy moment.

The photographer who took the picture should have known better to not publish that one picture which wasn't Catherine's fault at all. She/he who took it did this on purpose and the magazine decided to cash in on it. I just find that totally disrespectful towards Catherine and to women in general. Then an Australian newspaper decided to print the picture as well. A very low blow towards a person that took the time to travel a very long way to meet the nice people of Australia and shake countless hands.

It was an unfortunate moment that shouldn't have publicized. Instead of people complaining about a photographer and the media taking the time to make a personal moment their biggest headline and making money off of it, they've decided to come down on Catherine for it when she did nothing wrong. She protected her modesty with grace and dignity.

Unfortunately, the message the media is getting that it's totally okay to photograph, publish and make money off of women in very unfortunate moments when wearing a dress in windy conditions.

Last edited:
:previous:
It is a usual boring narrative. The preachy lamentation does not change anything. Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, never learnt from her past faux pas.

Last edited:
It is a usual boring narrative. The preachy lamentation does not change anything. Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, never learnt from her past faux pas.

She did learn and if others ever took the time to look at the pictures you would see that Catherine had her hands over her dress because of the wind that came from the helicopter.

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, should learn some more then. Giving ardent speeches and shaming public at this point are futile.

The Duchess of Cambridge didn't shame the public at all. Lots of ladies go through this kind of thing and royal ladies as well. It was an unfortunate incident that the media decided to some money off of and others to blow way out of proportion. The visit to the Blue Mountains was a success, the Cambridge's had fun and Catherine looked great.

Things happen, mistakes happen and usually when they do, someone (in a kindly manner mostly) points it out. If one chooses to be open and take the correction, life goes on and one learns and remembers. If one takes offense (or the mistake is pointed out in a derogatory manner or with a lofty attitude of "knowing better"), it creates a feeling of being slighted and tends to be ignored.
We do not know if anyone has ever said anything to Kate nor do we know what her reactions might of been if any.

Just for the record though, the title Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge denotes that she is a divorced woman that was married to a peer of the realm. She is either The Duchess of Cambridge or just plain Catherine. Took me a few years to have that one sink in. :hug:

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, should learn some more then. Giving ardent speeches and shaming public at this point are futile.

The shaming is the responsibility of the person who took the picture and made money off the sell of same......a woman no less making money off the butt of another woman is disgusting to say the least! Catherine did nothing wrong, she had her hands in front of her dress and there are dozens of pictures that show that during the tour. Anyone who takes this picture and sell it to make a damn dollar is a disgusting hateful ignorant arrogant idiot in my book, they have something to be a shamed of, not Catherine!

The shaming is the responsibility of the person who took the picture and made money off the sell of same......a woman no less making money off the butt of another woman is disgusting to say the least! Catherine did nothing wrong, she had her hands in front of her dress and there are dozens of pictures that show that during the tour. Anyone who takes this picture and sell it to make a damn dollar is a disgusting hateful ignorant arrogant idiot in my book, they have something to be a shamed of, not Catherine!

I agree. Catherine did nothing wrong but it was the photographer that decided to be nasty and took the time to bring this one photo to the worlds attention. That photographer and magazine wanted some attention and they got it the stupid way.

The Duchess of Cambridge didn't shame the public at all. Lots of ladies go through this kind of thing and royal ladies as well. It was an unfortunate incident that the media decided to some money off of and others to blow way out of proportion. The visit to the Blue Mountains was a success, the Cambridge's had fun and Catherine looked great.
I did not say that the couple or the lady in question shamed the public. I was referring to her fans, who started sounding like the Propaganda department of the Central Committee of the Communist party.
The British royal handlers are very slow and clumsy to address mistakes.

... [snipped]
Just for the record though, the title Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge denotes that she is a divorced woman that was married to a peer of the realm. She is either The Duchess of Cambridge or just plain Catherine. Took me a few years to have that one sink in. :hug:
Yes, I know. Lumutqueen once pointed this out. :admits the mistake, promises to never repeat it again: I need to start putting "The".

Last edited:
The Mayor of the Blue Mountains will not accept any of the money received from the sale of the picture of Kate.

Mayor rejects cash for rude Kate pic | Australian Women's Weekly

Good for him. I'm glad he's taking that stand.

Then we're on the same page. ;) It's always good to keep an open mind.

Yeah, I've heard the word deliberate thrown out about theses mishaps. I personally don't think she's doing it deliberately though. I think she's just assuming it won't happen again. I mean, it's quite possible she did take precautions and have weights sewn into the dress (her dress seemed to stay put during the actual event). Unfortunately weights can only do so much when it's really windy.

Just one more post from me in regards to the furor of Kate's underwear (or lack of it).

During this discussion, at one point I thought it might be pertinent to suggest that maybe it should be suggested that Kate wear bloomers and promptly went on a google gopher mission to find a good picture of Victorian era bloomers. I either scratched the idea of the post or I was called away from what I was doing but I never did post the bloomer pics. I use Google Chrome and one feature it has is that if I do a search for an item (lets say hair coloring), for quite a while afterwards, I am inundated by ads for hair color products.

Yeps! You've guessed it. I am now being swamped by BLOOMERS! :bang::bang::bang:

Absolutely spot on, as indeed is the article ...

So disappointing to see so much self righteous 'tut tutting' here in this forum too. Mostly [i note] from other women who often seem to fall over themselves to denigrate and 'do down' other members of their sex !

When this happened to Sarah Ferguson...like...twice in the eighties when she had barely reached 30...there was huffing and puffing-much of it by women- about how "vulgar" she was to let her skirts blow up. No one blamed the photog. There was no discussion of misogyny or jealousy. Fergie was 100% to blame.

Fast forward a quarter of a century with Kate Middleton who is past thirty, is the future queen, and has had the same sort of "accident" as Fergie...not once or twice but multiple times. Except Kate is a media darling and has a much better body than the hapless Sarah.
So, in this case, the photogs are misogynist pervs and women are just jealous.

The hypocrisy and double standard is indeed astonishing.:whistling:

Last edited:
When this happened to Sarah Ferguson...like...twice in the eighties when she had barely reached 30...there was huffing and puffing-much of it by women- about how "vulgar" she was to let her skirts blow up. No one blamed the photog. There was no discussion of misogyny or jealousy. Fergie was 100% to blame.

Fast forward a quarter of a century with Kate Middleton who is past thirty, is the future queen, and has had the same sort of "accident" as Fergie...not once or twice but multiple times. Except Kate is a media darling and has a much better body than the hapless Sarah.
So, in this case, the photogs are misogynist pervs and women are just jealous.

The hypocrisy and double standard is indeed astonishing.:whistling:
Had the internet been available at that time with 24/7 discussion, I do believe people who find these photographs intrusive and embarrassing would be stating the same. To publish an embarrassing moment is still wrong no matter who it is.

The magazines/newspapers who published the photos of Sarah also controlled what responses they would choose to print. Also I believe that fewer people would have taken pen to paper and then mailed in their opinion. It's much easier to comment today.

You are missing my point TLLK. In the 1980's even without the Internet, Sarah was raked over the coals for allowing this sort of thing to happen once or twice. She was called vulgar and a disgrace to the BRF because the public saw her...underwear, garter and hose. The condemnation in the British press in particular was extremely nasty. Even without the Internet, people who find this sort of thing embarrassing found it inexcusable.

If we saw as much of Beatrice's or Eugenie's private areas today as we have seen of Kate, who honestly believes the press and public would be any easier on them than they were of their mother??

Apparently it's not so vulgar and inexcusable when the Royal lady is popular, photogenic and has a nice rear end.

Last edited:
I have no problem with valid critism but to call someone dumb, thick for a wardrobe malfuction is out the question. Catherine dresses in what she feels comfortable in. Maybe it's time to hire a dresser?

I have no problem with valid critism but to call someone dumb, thick for a wardrobe malfuction is out the question. Catherine dresses in what she feels comfortable in. Maybe it's time to hire a dresser?

Yeah, well I think what happens is that some folks vent their daily stress or anger out on things and people and a great deal of it is very much uncalled for.

I also think William & Catherine should be doing more official engagements because when the royal news is dry and no pictures being produced the media gets bored and it causes them to look or invent stories and it don't always turn out right.

I just think it is such a shame that there now exist photographs of almost every part of Catherine's body and these will be in existence forever. We've seen the Queen's knees once and that was quite enough! I do not blame Catherine per se, but I do wonder how she feels about it and whether she is bothered by the photographs enough to think what might be done to avoid it happening again - she will alight from many aeroplanes at many windy airports all her life.
It is unsettling to know that if I took photographs of young ladies' derrieres and published them, I would quite rightly be sued and arrested for being a public nuisance, yet photographers working for newspapers appear to be immune!

Kate is a public person. The picture was taken when on/dressed for public duty. The photographer did not harrass her/tried to photograph under her skirt. I don't understand how this can be a breach of privacy or the media's fault. As this has not happened for the first time, for me all this is about Kate not understanding/refusing to wear wardrobe that fits her rank & position.

Her skirt didn't fly up once during the visit to the Blue Mountains. It was this one incident during disembarking from the helicopter that the picture was captured. It wasn't published during the trip but purposely picked out later and published in a German magazine so they could make money off of a very innocent and private situation. I think that was simply nasty. Now an Australian newspaper has decided to publish the picture is also low and very nasty too.

Catherine wasn't asking for any kind of attention in this manner. She already have the worlds attention because of who she's married and what family she now call her own. She don't need to grab the worlds attention by wishing the wind would blow her skirt up, a picture taken and for it to be the hot topic. The Duchess of Cambridge would never stoop that low.

This was an unfortunate incident and people choose to make some money off of it and now others are using it for their entertainment and to bash her. I hope they have fun while Catherine focus on doing her job.

Dman, all you're doing here is ignoring what other people are saying and repeatedly blaming the photographers and making excuses for Catherine. This is not constructive to the discussion and is rather condescending behaviour.

The photographer was taking a bunch of pictures of Catherine. She was not some paparazzi hounding her in a private moment, she is a legitimate member of a legitimate press doing her job. Given as the story is that she didn't even realize what picture she had until some time after the event it's very likely that she didn't deliberately take the picture. Given as she tried to donate the proceeds from the sale of the picture to Blue Mountain means that she likely wasn't trying to profit from the picture - if she was, she wouldn't be trying to donate the money.

The fact remains though, that Catherine was not in a private moment when this occurred. She wasn't sunbathing in a private estate well away from a road. She wasn't on a beach in a private island. She wasn't in her own home. The photographers did not invade her privacy in any way when they were taking pictures of her here. Furthermore, this is not an upskirt photo. The photographers did not go to any lengths in order to get a picture up Kate's skirt. They did not go to some length to take a picture of something that was not being displayed. Kate had a wardrobe malfunction in public, while attending a public duty, and photographers happened to be there (as they are wont to do for these official, public events) and someone took a photo of it.

What is distressing to me is not the fact that this photo was taken or published, but rather the fact that this is not Catherine's first time around helicopters. Catherine is presumably an intelligent woman who should be capable of going "every time I ride a helicopter it's windy when I get out." Catherine is presumably an intelligent woman who should be capable of making the logical conclusion that wind + a light skirt = her skirt blowing up - it's happened to her enough times at this point that if she hasn't figured it out then she is not an intelligent woman. There is a very basic cause and effect here - if you wear a light skirt when it's windy you risk having it fly up on you, and if you're going to be taking a helicopter ride then you're going to be around some pretty strong wind at least when you're around the helicopter.

Kate knows all this - she's been around enough helicopters to figure out that they create very strong winds, and she's had skirt problems around them in the past. Yet she continues to wear flimsy skirts when she's riding helicopters. The fact that the rest of her time at Blue Mountain was without issue is irrelevant - Kate still chose to wear a flimsy skirt when she knew she would be taking a helicopter, when she knew she would be photographed getting on and off of it, and when she knew that helicopters create strong winds which have a tendency to blow up skirts.

To those still insisting that it's not a big deal at all, I question how you would feel if Michelle Obama had a wardrobe malfunction while on duty. Or Hillary Clinton. Or Angela Merkel. Or some woman who is politically involved in some way but whom you don't idolize. Do they get a free pass too, or are they to be held a bit accountable for their actions (particularly if, like Kate, they were to have the issue repeat numerous times in a relatively short period of time)?

Back
Top Bottom