Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Tour of Australia - April 16-25, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You pretty much expressed my thoughts.

Thanks. I just don't know of any other Royals who can /would do this.
As to the millions of dollars spent on this trip one look at the children's faces from bear cottage tells me it was money well spent.
Edit - just saw the photo of the Duke and Duchess with little Max.
And for the millionth time, my heart melts.

Last edited:
As to the millions of dollars spent on this trip one look at the children's faces from bear cottage tells me it was money well spent.

You hit the nail on the head yet again.

That's Kate & co-pilot William (back) in an RAAF / F/A-18 Super Hornet #RoyalVisitAus pic.twitter.com/MImsfrk0Oe
Kate takes the cockpit of an F/A-18 Super Hornet. No probs getting in/out the dress #RoyalVisitAus "@BlueBuzzBird pic.twitter.com/1jnkPhOYvS"
Prince William inspects an RAAF F/A-18 Super Hornet #9News pic.twitter.com/LL5h4miCZU

Don't you just know William would like to gun 'er up and fly away?

So much coverage here mslewis - starts about half an hour before an event, and runs through until the Duke and Duchess depart for the day.
Queensland TV is broadcasting nationally today, and is covering all the action as it happens.
I haven't been able to keep up with the morning shows or all the news reports.
I did catch Max Foster of CNN alongside Rob Jobson, as guests on a local show this morning.
Katie Nicholl is on all Channel 9's live coverage each day, and we've just had Victoria Murphy covering today's action - so a lot of the Royal reporters are busy on our TV, as well as their own reporting.
Footage has just been broadcast of the flight simulation - the Duke wore his glasses.
Lovely closeups of the Duchess.
An unexpected Aboriginal protest is forming at Southbank about the G20, (due in Brisbane in November),which may result in the 3.00pm walkabout by the Duke and Duchess being called off.
Quick response from the tactical police officers who have - without incident - moved the protesters on.
The walk by the Duke and Duchess should go ahead.

Last edited:
They dont get the coverage, but Charles and Camilla do this. For example, they visited a hospice in Uk a few weeks ago. But I dont think that's a problem for them. Any publicity that the hospice movement gets is a bonus and benefit so that more are created. Strong movement in the UK (which is why C&C prob didnt get publicity) and Catherine is working to extend it elsewhere. Great cause.

Last edited by a moderator:
"@BlueBuzzBird Just cleared by Defence / William in flight simulator / He made trip to Gold Coast Super Hornet F18 pic.twitter.com/weMv5NpKE2"
Land rights activists protest Royal visit at South Bank @9NewsBrisbane pic.twitter.com/Afa9xGV6BM
Around 50 police moved protesters on from main entrance to Convention Centre. #7Royal #RoyalVisitAus pic.twitter.com/csRX8db4TZ

It appears that people in NZ and Australia are choosing to go and see the Cambridges when they can. :)

Huge crowds waiting at Southbank TLLK - again some camping out overnight.
TV showing the Royal motorcade travelling down the Ipswich Motorway - split screen with a look at the food prep for the Reception.
(Watercress grown especially for today. Very involved menu - all local produce - hot crab cakes, chicken with chestnuts, beef with yorkshire pudding, barramundi, mushroom and truffle oil tart, cold prawns with mango salsa, lamb with apple jelly, goat's cheese focaccia, cucumber sandwiches and then some dessert items.)
Hot day - people are fanning themselves inside the Reception - which would be air-conditioned.

You know Sun Lion, in my mind I can almost hear you reporting on the wireless.
This looks like a transcript from the news on a radiostation.
Please continue, you make this visit so much more alive. :flowers:

The ABC reports that this visit is costing Australians 1.5 to 2 million dollars.:eek:
I believe the fairly modest sums spend on such a visit is well spend.
Partly because it's one big positive coverage of Australia and New Zealand.

But just as importantly because I believe it's healthy to throw a collective party once in a while and just let go - or to complain away for those who feel better that way, simply to get away from the grey everyday life with budget cuts and what not.

I miss hats; Diana loved her hats with dresses whilst on tour. But now this is Catherine's tour and she has chosen to rarely wear any.

The Queen's jewels; did not believe for one minute they would be leaving the vaults!

Arrival today, the lady standing next to Catherine was wearing a hat, should've she been wearing one? I would've loved to see one on today.

Kate Middleton inundated with Australian toys for Prince George
HelloMagazine.com

:lol: You made me laugh Muhler.
Must be the Capricorn in me coming out - I always want to know the facts/the details.
After that I can admire the photos, hear who said what etc.
I thought I might be sounding like the weather-girl, so I've tried not to get carried away with that - though I've just seen Royal reporter Emily Andrew's tweet that the media were melting in today's heat - while the Duchess looked as cool as a cucumber - and that there were a lot of sunburnt faces in the crowd.
Fingers crossed that Prince George will be up for a BDO tomorrow.
Expecting the Duke and Duchess to return to Admiralty House tomorrow after the Easter Sunday Service, for lunch with PG, before going to Taronga.
Apparently they did so yesterday - between the Show and Manly.
(And Admiralty House is ''on the way'' for both days - so, some clever planning.)
And hi polyesco.

William has always been his mother's son. IMO he is more like Diana (in some ways) than Charles. Certainly when it comes to dealing with the public.

LaRae

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 3h
Big theme of the tour for me so far: Kate's showing increasing confidence and no longer deferring to her husband all the time.

Another thought concerning the costs: This is not a 3-day-state-visit (which let alone is not cheap), but a tour of more than 2 weeks. I guess the greatest amount of the costs are security. If a republican politician, a president would do a tour like this, it wouldn´t cost less, of course.
The reason why republican representatives would never do a tour of this length is because nobody would care. I mean, who´d be interested in a man in a grey suit, forgotten within a couple of years, opening a clinic or somethin´?!
You can believe me that I´d LOVE to give my tax money to a royal family rather than a republican state and I envy everyone who does!
It absolutely fascinates me that the magic from top members of the british royal family still works 1000s of miles from the "mothercountry" with almost everyone attending having a good time together!

Wait a minute, I thought no-one was interested in this visit? We were assured by several members that people didn't even know it was happening. Were these people attending some other event and Will and Kate just appeared, or did they just happen to be wandering around there not knowing the royals were coming?

I mean, clearly people are just not bothered at all:

Large crowds cheer and try to catch a glimpse of Catherine Duchess of... News Photo 485580537 | Getty Images

Too tired to watch last night! Some thoughts this AM:

Too bad there are no crowds: ;) http://cache4.asset-cache.net/gc/48...rSXh+VxvuybVZj+rABYrinVa4Z5CfdheFfMKldTmiew==
This blue hat got a lot of attention on Twitter: http://cache2.asset-cache.net/gc/48...b4/db0JATV6f5CMD8xrVCmsn336WetR6FgRfTNmfLGg==
Who needs Pilates when you are doing this half the day: Catherine Duchess of Cambridge receives flower from Tahlia McCabe as... News Photo 485570847 | Getty Images
Well, this is very high skilled :) http://cache1.asset-cache.net/gc/48...NXp8te27B4pNHPVPsNG+86Y1dpHoAmqETads5Cf2mtyV0
It is so important to make one another laugh: http://cache3.asset-cache.net/gc/48...NXoOg7K/rMGZcrS1Qz1Bu7p07TNL6Sq4iKLQOeJoaG4fe
Feet up: http://cache1.asset-cache.net/gc/48...tz2/ueXvPyDRGjx00c95V9k6kG2nfAP3qDqx06Wsjag==
9 year old Ashleigh Kearnan is working the look - well done!: http://cache3.asset-cache.net/gc/48...NXlkbNSp0xrsSZ3G6KJc5jZXbbV3IqSVrn1QQM1gZS9Ox

Anyway - lovely day!
And heavens, please let George sleep well until Sunday afternoon then let him be happy to go to the Zoo. I know I am!

Last edited:
Another thought concerning the costs: This is not a 3-day-state-visit (which let alone is not cheap), but a tour of more than 2 weeks. I guess the greatest amount of the costs are security. If a republican politician, a president would do a tour like this, it wouldn´t cost less, of course.
The reason why republican representatives would never do a tour of this length is because nobody would care. I mean, who´d be interested in a man in a grey suit, forgotten within a couple of years, opening a clinic or somethin´?!
You can believe me that I´d LOVE to give my tax money to a royal family rather than a republican state and I envy everyone who does!
It absolutely fascinates me that the magic from top members of the british royal family still works 1000s of miles from the "mothercountry" with almost everyone attending having a good time together!

President Obama paid a visit to Belgium a few weeks ago. Total cost for the Belgian tax payer for 1 DAY + 1 night : 500.000 euros. Nothing against President Obama, on the contrary, but his visit was hardly covered in the media, even in the US. Nobody is going to visit my country and increase tourism income because Obama was here. For the world-wide media attention W&C's tour of NZ and Australia is getting (it's on the news here every night) they are a bargain.

Back
Top Bottom