The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-29-2014, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marfre View Post
The Mayor of the Blue Mountains will not accept any of the money received from the sale of the picture of Kate.

Mayor rejects cash for rude Kate pic | Australian Women's Weekly
Good for him. I'm glad he's taking that stand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
Then we're on the same page. It's always good to keep an open mind.
Yeah, I've heard the word deliberate thrown out about theses mishaps. I personally don't think she's doing it deliberately though. I think she's just assuming it won't happen again. I mean, it's quite possible she did take precautions and have weights sewn into the dress (her dress seemed to stay put during the actual event). Unfortunately weights can only do so much when it's really windy.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:39 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Just one more post from me in regards to the furor of Kate's underwear (or lack of it).

During this discussion, at one point I thought it might be pertinent to suggest that maybe it should be suggested that Kate wear bloomers and promptly went on a google gopher mission to find a good picture of Victorian era bloomers. I either scratched the idea of the post or I was called away from what I was doing but I never did post the bloomer pics. I use Google Chrome and one feature it has is that if I do a search for an item (lets say hair coloring), for quite a while afterwards, I am inundated by ads for hair color products.

Yeps! You've guessed it. I am now being swamped by BLOOMERS!

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 05-29-2014, 11:58 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Absolutely spot on, as indeed is the article ...

So disappointing to see so much self righteous 'tut tutting' here in this forum too. Mostly [i note] from other women who often seem to fall over themselves to denigrate and 'do down' other members of their sex !
When this happened to Sarah Ferguson...like...twice in the eighties when she had barely reached 30...there was huffing and puffing-much of it by women- about how "vulgar" she was to let her skirts blow up. No one blamed the photog. There was no discussion of misogyny or jealousy. Fergie was 100% to blame.

Fast forward a quarter of a century with Kate Middleton who is past thirty, is the future queen, and has had the same sort of "accident" as Fergie...not once or twice but multiple times. Except Kate is a media darling and has a much better body than the hapless Sarah.
So, in this case, the photogs are misogynist pervs and women are just jealous.

The hypocrisy and double standard is indeed astonishing.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
When this happened to Sarah Ferguson...like...twice in the eighties when she had barely reached 30...there was huffing and puffing-much of it by women- about how "vulgar" she was to let her skirts blow up. No one blamed the photog. There was no discussion of misogyny or jealousy. Fergie was 100% to blame.

Fast forward a quarter of a century with Kate Middleton who is past thirty, is the future queen, and has had the same sort of "accident" as Fergie...not once or twice but multiple times. Except Kate is a media darling and has a much better body than the hapless Sarah.
So, in this case, the photogs are misogynist pervs and women are just jealous.

The hypocrisy and double standard is indeed astonishing.
Had the internet been available at that time with 24/7 discussion, I do believe people who find these photographs intrusive and embarrassing would be stating the same. To publish an embarrassing moment is still wrong no matter who it is.

The magazines/newspapers who published the photos of Sarah also controlled what responses they would choose to print. Also I believe that fewer people would have taken pen to paper and then mailed in their opinion. It's much easier to comment today.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:43 PM
Majesty

You are missing my point TLLK. In the 1980's even without the Internet, Sarah was raked over the coals for allowing this sort of thing to happen once or twice. She was called vulgar and a disgrace to the BRF because the public saw her...underwear, garter and hose. The condemnation in the British press in particular was extremely nasty. Even without the Internet, people who find this sort of thing embarrassing found it inexcusable.

If we saw as much of Beatrice's or Eugenie's private areas today as we have seen of Kate, who honestly believes the press and public would be any easier on them than they were of their mother??

Apparently it's not so vulgar and inexcusable when the Royal lady is popular, photogenic and has a nice rear end.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:58 PM
Courtier

I have no problem with valid critism but to call someone dumb, thick for a wardrobe malfuction is out the question. Catherine dresses in what she feels comfortable in. Maybe it's time to hire a dresser?
Old 05-29-2014, 02:10 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalistbert View Post
I have no problem with valid critism but to call someone dumb, thick for a wardrobe malfuction is out the question. Catherine dresses in what she feels comfortable in. Maybe it's time to hire a dresser?
Yeah, well I think what happens is that some folks vent their daily stress or anger out on things and people and a great deal of it is very much uncalled for.

I also think William & Catherine should be doing more official engagements because when the royal news is dry and no pictures being produced the media gets bored and it causes them to look or invent stories and it don't always turn out right.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 05-29-2014, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

I just think it is such a shame that there now exist photographs of almost every part of Catherine's body and these will be in existence forever. We've seen the Queen's knees once and that was quite enough! I do not blame Catherine per se, but I do wonder how she feels about it and whether she is bothered by the photographs enough to think what might be done to avoid it happening again - she will alight from many aeroplanes at many windy airports all her life.
It is unsettling to know that if I took photographs of young ladies' derrieres and published them, I would quite rightly be sued and arrested for being a public nuisance, yet photographers working for newspapers appear to be immune!
Old 05-29-2014, 02:52 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Kate is a public person. The picture was taken when on/dressed for public duty. The photographer did not harrass her/tried to photograph under her skirt. I don't understand how this can be a breach of privacy or the media's fault. As this has not happened for the first time, for me all this is about Kate not understanding/refusing to wear wardrobe that fits her rank & position.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Her skirt didn't fly up once during the visit to the Blue Mountains. It was this one incident during disembarking from the helicopter that the picture was captured. It wasn't published during the trip but purposely picked out later and published in a German magazine so they could make money off of a very innocent and private situation. I think that was simply nasty. Now an Australian newspaper has decided to publish the picture is also low and very nasty too.

Catherine wasn't asking for any kind of attention in this manner. She already have the worlds attention because of who she's married and what family she now call her own. She don't need to grab the worlds attention by wishing the wind would blow her skirt up, a picture taken and for it to be the hot topic. The Duchess of Cambridge would never stoop that low.

This was an unfortunate incident and people choose to make some money off of it and now others are using it for their entertainment and to bash her. I hope they have fun while Catherine focus on doing her job.
Dman, all you're doing here is ignoring what other people are saying and repeatedly blaming the photographers and making excuses for Catherine. This is not constructive to the discussion and is rather condescending behaviour.

The photographer was taking a bunch of pictures of Catherine. She was not some paparazzi hounding her in a private moment, she is a legitimate member of a legitimate press doing her job. Given as the story is that she didn't even realize what picture she had until some time after the event it's very likely that she didn't deliberately take the picture. Given as she tried to donate the proceeds from the sale of the picture to Blue Mountain means that she likely wasn't trying to profit from the picture - if she was, she wouldn't be trying to donate the money.

The fact remains though, that Catherine was not in a private moment when this occurred. She wasn't sunbathing in a private estate well away from a road. She wasn't on a beach in a private island. She wasn't in her own home. The photographers did not invade her privacy in any way when they were taking pictures of her here. Furthermore, this is not an upskirt photo. The photographers did not go to any lengths in order to get a picture up Kate's skirt. They did not go to some length to take a picture of something that was not being displayed. Kate had a wardrobe malfunction in public, while attending a public duty, and photographers happened to be there (as they are wont to do for these official, public events) and someone took a photo of it.

What is distressing to me is not the fact that this photo was taken or published, but rather the fact that this is not Catherine's first time around helicopters. Catherine is presumably an intelligent woman who should be capable of going "every time I ride a helicopter it's windy when I get out." Catherine is presumably an intelligent woman who should be capable of making the logical conclusion that wind + a light skirt = her skirt blowing up - it's happened to her enough times at this point that if she hasn't figured it out then she is not an intelligent woman. There is a very basic cause and effect here - if you wear a light skirt when it's windy you risk having it fly up on you, and if you're going to be taking a helicopter ride then you're going to be around some pretty strong wind at least when you're around the helicopter.

Kate knows all this - she's been around enough helicopters to figure out that they create very strong winds, and she's had skirt problems around them in the past. Yet she continues to wear flimsy skirts when she's riding helicopters. The fact that the rest of her time at Blue Mountain was without issue is irrelevant - Kate still chose to wear a flimsy skirt when she knew she would be taking a helicopter, when she knew she would be photographed getting on and off of it, and when she knew that helicopters create strong winds which have a tendency to blow up skirts.

To those still insisting that it's not a big deal at all, I question how you would feel if Michelle Obama had a wardrobe malfunction while on duty. Or Hillary Clinton. Or Angela Merkel. Or some woman who is politically involved in some way but whom you don't idolize. Do they get a free pass too, or are they to be held a bit accountable for their actions (particularly if, like Kate, they were to have the issue repeat numerous times in a relatively short period of time)?
Old 05-29-2014, 03:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Kate is a public person. The picture was taken when on/dressed for public duty. The photographer did not harrass her/tried to photograph under her skirt. I don't understand how this can be a breach of privacy or the media's fault. As this has not happened for the first time, for me all this is about Kate not understanding/refusing to wear wardrobe that fits her rank & position.
The problem is the photographer and magazine and newspapers deliberately searched for this photo and published it to gain some attention, money and juicy headlines. It was a stupid thing to do and very much disrespectful to Catherine. Catherine conducted herself with nothing but professionalism as the Duchess of Cambridge and future Princess of Wales/Queen on that trip and all her other official engagements.

I couldn't be a photographer and take a picture of something like that and then go and publish it. These things happen to ladies every now and then and they don't mean for it to happen. It would be my job to take that unflattering picture and toss it. I wouldn't want to disrespect the person I'm photographing and wouldn't want it to happen to any of my female family members if they were in the spotlight. It's about showing some decency and respect for other people.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 05-29-2014, 03:08 PM
Serene Highness

Clearly you are too honourable a person to be a member of the press...Dman !
Old 05-29-2014, 03:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalistbert View Post
This is just where I stand on this issue.

The first time Kate had a wardrobe malfunction it could have been explained as being a simple mistake in dress. A couple times where she's had similar malfunctions due to wind it could be explained that it was unexpectedly windy.

However, as she keeps on having the same problem while wearing the same type of dress and in the same type of venues, makes it look like it's more than just a simple accident.

To me, how this reads is either Catherine isn't following basic logic - windy days + flimsy skirt = wardrobe malfunction, combined with airports and/or helicopters = windy days - or she's deliberately courting this kind of attention. This type of incident has happened enough times to Catherine that it no longer comes off as being a simple accident or oversight.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:10 PM
Heir Apparent

The photographers attempts at justifying publishing the pic by donating the proceeds to charity have backfired as well.

Mayor Mark Greenhill of the Blue Mountains has called the photograph exploitative and gratuitous and will not accept a penny in any way.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:16 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by SElizabeth View Post
In regards to the picture of her walking down the catwalk, I did NOT see the other picture that you are referring to, so if you have it, please send it here so we all can see and where you there to see this other picture being taken?
Security guards do not always have to be in eye shot of people that they are guarding......heavens, would they go to the toilet with them, be in their bedroom with, while they are changing clothes, I really don't think all security guards are with people that they are guarding every second of the day and night..........this was PRIVATE PROPERTY, THEIR PRIVATE TIME, THEY WERE NOT WORKING..........nothing more needs to be said. If Catherine or anybody else in this world wants to run around naked in their private time in their private space who are we to say anything about it.....would you like a camera in your bedroom or up your skirt? I don't think so!
I'll post it then when I get the chance but if anyone can't wait till then you can go to the Getty Images search engine and type 'Kate Middleton St Andrew's fashion show' and you will get it there.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:19 PM
Heir Apparent

I remember seeing that photo as well, Angela, but it didn't have as much publicity as the catwalk one.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:21 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
Dman, all you're doing here is ignoring what other people are saying and repeatedly blaming the photographers and making excuses for Catherine. This is not constructive to the discussion and is rather condescending behaviour.

The photographer was taking a bunch of pictures of Catherine. She was not some paparazzi hounding her in a private moment, she is a legitimate member of a legitimate press doing her job. Given as the story is that she didn't even realize what picture she had until some time after the event it's very likely that she didn't deliberately take the picture. Given as she tried to donate the proceeds from the sale of the picture to Blue Mountain means that she likely wasn't trying to profit from the picture - if she was, she wouldn't be trying to donate the money.

The fact remains though, that Catherine was not in a private moment when this occurred. She wasn't sunbathing in a private estate well away from a road. She wasn't on a beach in a private island. She wasn't in her own home. The photographers did not invade her privacy in any way when they were taking pictures of her here. Furthermore, this is not an upskirt photo. The photographers did not go to any lengths in order to get a picture up Kate's skirt. They did not go to some length to take a picture of something that was not being displayed. Kate had a wardrobe malfunction in public, while attending a public duty, and photographers happened to be there (as they are wont to do for these official, public events) and someone took a photo of it.

What is distressing to me is not the fact that this photo was taken or published, but rather the fact that this is not Catherine's first time around helicopters. Catherine is presumably an intelligent woman who should be capable of going "every time I ride a helicopter it's windy when I get out." Catherine is presumably an intelligent woman who should be capable of making the logical conclusion that wind + a light skirt = her skirt blowing up - it's happened to her enough times at this point that if she hasn't figured it out then she is not an intelligent woman. There is a very basic cause and effect here - if you wear a light skirt when it's windy you risk having it fly up on you, and if you're going to be taking a helicopter ride then you're going to be around some pretty strong wind at least when you're around the helicopter.

Kate knows all this - she's been around enough helicopters to figure out that they create very strong winds, and she's had skirt problems around them in the past. Yet she continues to wear flimsy skirts when she's riding helicopters. The fact that the rest of her time at Blue Mountain was without issue is irrelevant - Kate still chose to wear a flimsy skirt when she knew she would be taking a helicopter, when she knew she would be photographed getting on and off of it, and when she knew that helicopters create strong winds which have a tendency to blow up skirts.

To those still insisting that it's not a big deal at all, I question how you would feel if Michelle Obama had a wardrobe malfunction while on duty. Or Hillary Clinton. Or Angela Merkel. Or some woman who is politically involved in some way but whom you don't idolize. Do they get a free pass too, or are they to be held a bit accountable for their actions (particularly if, like Kate, they were to have the issue repeat numerous times in a relatively short period of time)?
The photographer took that one photo and the magazine published for the exciting headlines and the money. They most likely thought twice about the backlash and attention and decided to donate the money instead of keeping it. Even an Australian newspaper decided to publish the picture. The whole idea of taking that one photo and purposely publishing it was in very bad taste, low and just plain nasty.

Catherine did nothing wrong with her wardrobe on this trip and engagement to the Blue Mountains. She didn't even suffer a wardrobe malfunction during the engagement. She was even pictured holding her dress very nice and gracefully during her leaving the helicopter. She was very smart in knowing the wind would get the best of her in that moment. She also boarded the helicopter without an incident as well. So let's not act like Catherine was just a walking disaster during that engagement. The picture was taken and shouldn't have been published period.

The only time I think Catherine made a major wardrobe malfunction was when she wore that very light and airy yellow dress in Canada. I think she should've wore an overcoat during her arrival to the airport and taken it off once she arrived at the official engagement.

This isn't about getting anyone a free pass. If this had happened to our First Lady or Hillary Clinton, I would be outraged that someone decided to take those pictures and publish them to make some money. Catherine nor any of those high profile ladies want this kind of thing to happen and try hard to prevent it from happening but when it happens it shouldn't be photographed and exploited for financial gain. That's wrong on all levels. I have too much respect for women to sit back and vilify the women who went through this incident and make tons of excuses for the media and encourage they're behavior.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 05-29-2014, 03:25 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
Or, if this had been some other Princess? Let's say, Charlene, Mary or someone else?
I'm pretty certain, that most reactions would have been very different than they are in this thread.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:26 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
The photographers attempts at justifying publishing the pic by donating the proceeds to charity have backfired as well.

Mayor Mark Greenhill of the Blue Mountains has called the photograph exploitative and gratuitous and will not accept a penny in any way.
I'm glad the Mayor of the Blue Mountains did that. The photographer, magazine and Australian newspaper behavior was just gross and the attempt to donate the money from the picture a charity was pretty sick, IMO.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 05-29-2014, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
You are missing my point TLLK. In the 1980's even without the Internet, Sarah was raked over the coals for allowing this sort of thing to happen once or twice. She was called vulgar and a disgrace to the BRF because the public saw her...underwear, garter and hose. The condemnation in the British press in particular was extremely nasty. Even without the Internet, people who find this sort of thing embarrassing found it inexcusable.

If we saw as much of Beatrice's or Eugenie's private areas today as we have seen of Kate, who honestly believes the press and public would be any easier on them than they were of their mother??

Apparently it's not so vulgar and inexcusable when the Royal lady is popular, photogenic and has a nice rear end.
I don't know, I don't see a double standard. I've seen Kate being raked over the coals quite a bit - she's been called an idiot, a disgrace, vulgar, an attention seeker, etc. And the condemnation hasn't just come from posters on the internet. The press has also written and talked unfavorably about Kate and these mishaps.

I'm sure there were plenty of people that didn't blame Fergie, or think she was a disgrace to the BRF. As TLLK says, the internet wasn't big when Fergie was in her early 30's. If she had grown up with twitter and blogs, and all of the social media and instant news, than the coverage of her mishaps wouldn't have been so one sided. The coverage would have more than likely been the same as it is with Kate. Some blaming her, while others not.

Both Beatrice and Eugenie have had quite a few mishaps. I've seen photos of Beatrice's underwear and even her bare bottom, yet the press hasn't been any harder on her for it. If we want to take a look at double standards, we should look at how the media/public view exposed body parts in royal men as opposed to the royal women.