The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-26-2014, 02:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

I find it silly to go on and on about it. Okay, the wind blew her dress up a bit. What they want us to do about it? Jump out of a window?

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 05-26-2014, 02:54 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I find it silly to go on and on about it. Okay, the wind blew her dress up a bit. What they want us to do about it? Jump out of a window?
Perhaps we're supposed to react with shock and awe as us mere mortals realize that even the royals of this world are anatomically correct, do not command the wind and (gasp) even have mishaps from time to time.

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 05-26-2014, 03:21 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Perhaps we're supposed to react with shock and awe as us mere mortals realize that even the royals of this world are anatomically correct, do not command the wind and (gasp) even have mishaps from time to time.
I just find it crazy that they make such a big deal about it.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 05-26-2014, 04:06 PM
Courtier

No knickers.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I just find it crazy that they make such a big deal about it.

Perhaps because it's something that keeps on happening and isn't exactly contributing to Catherine's professional appearance.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
Perhaps because it's something that keeps on happening and isn't exactly contributing to Catherine's professional appearance.
I don't know, perhaps she should start wearing steel dresses. It may hurt though.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 05-26-2014, 04:24 PM
Aristocracy

If it bothered Catherine she would do something about it...so it obviously doesn't bother her. She works so hard to be a royal and so often dresses like just another celebrity.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I don't know, perhaps she should start wearing steel dresses. It may hurt though.

Yes, because every professional woman in the world who is able to do their jobs with minimal wardrobe malfunctions do so while wearing steel dresses.

Kate supporters need to be a little less ridiculous here. If she had wardrobe malfunctions less frequently it would be one thing - if once in awhile her dress blew up or it was a little too short or whatever it would be one thing, especially if she was doing a larger number of visible engagements. The occasional slip up would go rather unnoticed and be no big deal - as it is when Anne, Sophie, the Queen, or countless others have an occasional slip in wardrobe.

However, Kate consistently wears outfits that are not appropriate for her activities. She wears skirts that are too short for a professional environment, that are not made to be worn outdoors on windy days, etc. She wears heals that, while gorgeous, aren't always appropriate to what she's doing on an engagement. She fails to pull her hair back when an engagement - or a dress or the jewels she's wearing - calls for more restrained hair.

I get that you're male and don't necessarily have to think about all of this when you get dressed for work in the morning, but it's something that professional women think about frequently. It's something that bears thought when you're wearing a dress or heals or have long hair. But it's something that Kate consistently fails to consider when she gets dressed for engagements.

While Kate may be dressing spectacularly for a woman of her age when she's not working, she is consistently failing to dress for her role and position. Steel dresses aren't required, but a bit of consideration is.

And it is a big deal. If Kate was simply a professional who represented the government or a charity or another organization then she would be out of a job for failing to dress in an appropriate manner. But, even though she's fulfilled all of these roles, she gets off as she can't really be fired, no matter how inappropriately she dresses for her job.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:22 PM
Aristocracy

IMO it is photoshopped.

Took way to long to turn up
Other media were present but saw nothing
and bluntly - Catherine does not have that shape. One of the problems she has with the fitting of her clothes is that she is "sans derriere" - hence the hems that droop.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:41 PM
Heir Apparent

^^^ I agree. I think the main reason not a single British tabloid bought this pic is because its of dubious origin. Technically it doesn't violate her privacy and the only paper to buy happens to be the cheapest tabloid in Europe?

I'm glad you broached the subject of Kate's bum because both of my sisters immediately cried foul because they said Kate simple doesn't have the bum for that sort of pick.

I say photoshop
Old 05-26-2014, 05:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

I too heard from a member of the media who were there at the time, nothing was shown as well.

Ish. perhaps someone needs to talk to Catherine and her designers so these things won't happen. Obviously, Catherine don't like wardrobe malfunctions. It just happens but she handles it with a great deal of grace and dignity.

Yes, I'm one of those guys that don't mind seeing a little leg but I understand what you're saying. She could use a weight or two in her hems but I don't think she should do it as much as The Queen though. Sometimes The Queen's overcoats and dresses look totally shapeless and appear to be dragging her down to the ground.

I think Catherine is trying to get comfortable to wearing those jewels. I sometimes think she purposely cover the jewels with her hair because she don't want to appear too flashy or maybe trying to get used to the fact that she should be wearing those legendary heirlooms and for the whole world to see. Crown Princess Mary also went through something like that and she publically admitted to it. It's all about finding your comfort spot and then we may see her playing around with the jewels.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 05-26-2014, 06:17 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
^^^ I agree. I think the main reason not a single British tabloid bought this pic is because its of dubious origin. Technically it doesn't violate her privacy and the only paper to buy happens to be the cheapest tabloid in Europe?

I'm glad you broached the subject of Kate's bum because both of my sisters immediately cried foul because they said Kate simple doesn't have the bum for that sort of pick.

I say photoshop
We all know its her sister Pippa that holds the title of Queen of Bums.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 05-26-2014, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

I think Kate looks professional and dresses fine for her role. I don't see a problem with the length of her dresses (I frequently see other royal women wearing short hemlines), or her hair during engagements or while wearing jewels. And while I do think a few of her footwear choices have been off the mark (wedges on the mountain), most of the time she's fine.

Having said that, if these latest photos are real (I have my doubts), it's time she puts on a slip, or some yoga shorts when wearing dresses/skirts. The press have caught her dress blowing in the wind a few times, so it's puzzling if she hasn't learned to be more careful. Hopefully these latest photos are photoshopped because otherwise, it's quite disappointing that she is caught out again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalDaisy View Post
IMO it is photoshopped.

Took way to long to turn up
Other media were present but saw nothing
and bluntly - Catherine does not have that shape. One of the problems she has with the fitting of her clothes is that she is "sans derriere" - hence the hems that droop.
Yeah, I saw a few people from the press say that they didn't see, or hear anything about this during the tour. Supposedly an amateur took the photos, but it's interesting that none of the professionals got a photo.

You're right about Kate not having that shape. It was the first thing I noticed when I saw the photo. At this point, I'm leaning toward photoshop too.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Plus the British tabloids have previously shown other times when the wind caught Kate's skirt but everyone avoids this like the plague. The reason for this is I think its just too much of a coincidence that only one photographer took the photo and no on else even witnessed the event let alone photographed it?

If the DM thought this photo was the real thing they would have run it with one of their famous Kate's Marilyn Moment headlines.

The only time the British press refuses to publish a photo is because of questions regarding authenticity or privacy, not because they are prudes.

I'm not alone in thinking its photoshopped
Old 05-26-2014, 07:03 PM
Courtier

Why would it take a month to publish such a photo.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:12 PM
Majesty

To be honest, it'll never cease to amaze me how intelligent the human race is. We are so evolved that there is a market for photos of well known people who just happen to have had a faux pas with a skirt or article of clothing and a glimpse of human anatomy that we all usually keep covered is flashed around the world for all to see. People gawk and stare and buy these said photos too and the photog is laughing all the way to the bank. Don't people realize by now that everyone has one? I could understand this fascination in the middle ages where one might be checking to see whether its a stead fast or a flimsy chastity belt that's being worn or even if anything is worn at all. No wonder those ladies back then wore yards and yards of material.

Ok.. ok.. it is the 21st century. We have evolved past the middle ages. Why we can even now create a picture of a glimpse of the bum just in case there were none available to purchase. We are creative little buggers aren't we?

Is it photo shopped or not? To be honest, I don't care.
― John Lennon
Old 05-26-2014, 07:30 PM
Courtier

I also, inexpert though I am, immediately thought "photoshop".
Old 05-27-2014, 01:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGabrielle View Post
Geez. What is up with these magazines? Obviously they have nothing better to write about. So rude.
C'mon! If this silly woman constantly elects to go out and about - particularly when performing official duties - wearing no knickers or, at best, inappropriately brief knickers that do not cover all of the parts of her that no-one other than her husband and doctors should see, and also wears no slip and no weights in her flimsy skirts, and those parts are captured by the photographer's lens, of course the magazines are going to print the photos. It's not as though it's the first or even the second time. She's become a laughing stock.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:42 AM
Imperial Majesty

Well said Roslyn.

Once is forgivable but more than once shows someone who doesn't learn from their mistakes or someone who doesn't actually realise that they have made a mistake - in Kate's case I suspect the latter as she doesn't come across as being all that bright.

If this had been when in their private time I could overlook it but this was actually while representing The Queen on an official engagement.

As someone else I have read today said - would people be so sympathetic if it was William regularly appearing with his fly undone - no they wouldn't be.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:00 AM
Heir Presumptive

That photo looks highly suspicious to me. 1) why is it only being printed weeks later? And 2) why is she making no effort to push down her skirt?