The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-25-2014, 03:16 PM
Majesty

I fully agree, LadyGabrielle. Now I hope we get to see the Duchess out and about more in the UK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGabrielle View Post
I agree. I think they did a fabulous job on this trip. They showed that they are a caring and compassionate couple who are not afraid to spend time with people and maybe break a few rules of royal protocol. I applaud the effort they made in trying to be somewhat normal. Or at least as normal as possible for a royal. Good job.

Old 04-25-2014, 03:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I think George should be wearing a hat if there is a chill wind.
Babies are susceptible to earaches.

He went straight from the car to the plane. Obviously his parents and his highly trained nanny thought it was fine.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
William the Conqueror - of nerves
I agree completely with what the reporter had to say. I have to say, that if William has been nervous in the past, he hides it well.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:54 PM
Royal Highness

Prince George's Fashion and Style

Sticking to his retro hipster style, Prince George chose a red blazer and red-and-white-striped seersucker shorts for his journey back home. On his feet he wore his trusty nude pumps, er, black Mary Janes with white socks. He accessorized his mini-real estate agent ensemble with rosy cheeks, an Elvis style lip curl, and a well-placed smear of drool.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-25-2014, 08:39 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
I agree completely with what the reporter had to say. I have to say, that if William has been nervous in the past, he hides it well.
One thing I have noticed when Will and Kate were out and about mixing and talking with the crowds gathered is that William has a more formal stance for the most part (although quite charming) and reminds me of Philip whereas Kate seems to be totally relaxed and her body language shows that she's interested in the person she's talking to by stooping or leaning into the crowd and hand gestures.

All in all, I think it was a very successful tour with a little bit of something for everyone. Some formal events, some very casual and fun for the family and mostly, a chance for New Zealand and Australia to proudly show off its best.

Thank you and kudos to our own TRF eyes Down Under that really added to our coverage here and made it so much more enjoyable for all of us

Old 04-25-2014, 08:50 PM
Royal Highness

Lots of nice and large pictures here-

-including some of Mr. (non-airbrushed) Rosy Cheeks.

MYROYALS &HOLLYWOOD FASHÄ°ON: The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Tour Australia and New Zealand - Day 19

William has really looked fine on this tour, too.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-25-2014, 09:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
One thing I have noticed when Will and Kate were out and about mixing and talking with the crowds gathered is that William has a more formal stance for the most part (although quite charming) and reminds me of Philip whereas Kate seems to be totally relaxed and her body language shows that she's interested in the person she's talking to by stooping or leaning into the crowd and hand gestures.
Isn't it interesting how we all have different opinions?
To me,William has been the more relaxed one, while Kate has always been the more formal.
It's only on this tour , that I've seen her relax more, and while I've always admired her, this tour caused it to grow.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

Kate the great: The royal tour where the Duchess of Cambridge really came into her own-
Kate the great: The royal tour where the Duchess of Cambridge really came into her own | Royal | News | Daily Express

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-25-2014, 10:18 PM
Heir Apparent

For our Aussie posters, here is one too many pictures of Prince George w/prime minister Tony Abbott, looks like PG has had enough
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pg and tony.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	291367  
Old 04-25-2014, 11:06 PM
Royal Highness

Here's a nice gallery...

...including some scenes I had forgotten.

Kate Middleton and Prince William's tour: best moments - hellomagazine.com

Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-25-2014, 11:07 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
For our Aussie posters, here is one too many pictures of Prince George w/prime minister Tony Abbott, looks like PG has had enough
it is indeed entertaining to read the British press' characterization of Prince George as Prince 'Grumpy'! Ah well, those of us who don't have to deal with grumpy babies anymore can only smile and wish the Cambridge's the best of British luck with him on the VERY long flight home!
Old 04-25-2014, 11:28 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry View Post
it is indeed entertaining to read the British press' characterization of Prince George as Prince 'Grumpy'! Ah well, those of us who don't have to deal with grumpy babies anymore can only smile and wish the Cambridge's the best of British luck with him on the VERY long flight home!
One thing about babies though is that they can sleep just about anywhere. I hope they all get a good chance to recoup once they get home and I can imagine there's going to be one very happy dog that's glad to see them.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

After 24hr w/out net service and three calls to our provider's service desk (First time I am not happy w/the so called help from the Help Service people. All that needed to happen was to unplug and replug in the router as it had locked on me, so...Yeah.) between last night, today and then someone w/tech knowledge than the first two I talked to calling me back tonight, the problem was solved and I'm now all caught up w/things. Also breathing again after more than a bit of panic on my end. Okay then....

What a couple of weeks, huh!?! I think this tour has been a spectacular success for the Cambridges and both have blossomed and are far more at ease than many of us ever seen them. Yes, the little crumb snatcher (I love that nickname for him. Perfect for that stage and age.) has a bit to do w/it, but also this is a couple that truly is a team and both knows they can count on the other when needed. I don't think that can be underestimated on William's side of things. Also Kate has come a very long way and nothing showed that more than her speech at the Children's Hospice. When I think of the very nervous young lady who did those first two speeches and then of the far more at ease Duchess and also far more poised delivery Kate gave just a week and a bit ago....It's like daylight and dark the difference.

I think when they get home and maybe given a day to relax, there's going to be a very proud Granny calling to let them know they did very well indeed.

Oh and I almost forgot....I love what Kate wrote in her message in her posy left at the Australian Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Sentiments we should all keep in mind everyday, as if not for their sacrifice....

To our Aussie Members...I was literally bowled over looking at the pictures of the Cambridges at your National War Memorial. You truly have, while fittingly sombre, a beautiful place to go to in order to pay honour to your Fallen. It really is stunning. What was the wall of Poppies William and Kate were seen examining all about? I wasn't able to see any names engraved on the wall beside any of the Poppies and the article didn't explain about it either, so just wondering.

Sigh...I'm going to miss getting all this lovely coverage everyday. It certainly has been fun and a huge Thanks to both our Aussie and Kiwi Members for all of the links and work in helping us to follow along w/Mummy, Daddy and the Crumb Snatcher's Adventures Down Under!! :) :)
Old 04-26-2014, 12:25 AM
Imperial Majesty

To describe the War Memorial -

From the entrance you can walk right into the area where the pool of remembrance and the eternal flame are. That is at the same level.

Look straight ahead and up some steps to the area where the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier is - with stained glass windows depicting service personnel.

Look up to the sides and there are walls on both sides - up stairs to get to them.

On the left as you look forward towards the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier is the wall with the names of the 60,000 men who died in WWI - that is the side on which William and Kate were walking. On the right are the names of the 45,000 or so who have died in all the other conflicts involving Australian.

The poppies are paper poppies and anyone can buy one in the War Memorial shop and place it on the name of a loved one or just any person they wish to acknowledge.

Unlike most other nations the names are listed alphabetically by unit only - no ranks - as in death rank doesn't matter.

It is very moving there. In the old days when we used to take our students to the War Memorial I would take a couple with me to put a poppy on my great-grandfather's name and we would make a point of finding the names of any relatives or any student and do the same for them. We sadly no longer do that excursion as there isn't enough in Canberra, relevant to the course we teach in History to justify the time and expense so no more excursions to the War Memorial for us.

Once you have finished in the memorial area - if before in many cases - it is possible to also visit the brilliant museum that also makes up a major part of the War Memorial - it is a pity that William and Kate couldn't find the time to go and see that side of the memorial.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:45 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Unlike most other nations the names are listed alphabetically by unit only - no ranks - as in death rank doesn't matter.

I find that quite a lovely sentiment and wish that all countries honored their dead that way.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:22 AM
Serene Highness

Yes I agree with you, the picture of PG laying his head on his mother's shoulder's during the play date is priceless and his attachment to her is very clear for all to see. No baby would do that if they weren't comfortable and attached to the mother/father, their instincts are natural and right on.

Every picture of PG with his parents show how cherished he is and well loved.....I think W/C are doing a wonderful job raising him and having done this tour which I think has been exhausting for them and their son is beyond words. Just think of the planning that took place, the ideas that were thrown back and forth on places to go, what to see, what to take, who goes, everything went off with out a hitch and was a grand tour. I am going to miss seeing every day.............this has been so wonderful, truly just wonderful!
Old 04-26-2014, 01:47 AM
Courtier

It has been a wonderful tour/visit and it was lovely to see Kate and William interacting with the crowds, I did happen to catch a glimpse of their heads when they were on one of their walks. George is really a cute little fellow and won the hearts of most. I meet some friends for lunch today and of course the conversation at one stage turned to William, Kate and little George's visit, while most enjoyed it they are also pleased it is over just to have a break from the TV coverage.
Old 04-26-2014, 03:29 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
Sticking to his retro hipster style, Prince George chose a red blazer and red-and-white-striped seersucker shorts for his journey back home. On his feet he wore his trusty nude pumps, er, black Mary Janes with white socks. He accessorized his mini-real estate agent ensemble with rosy cheeks, an Elvis style lip curl, and a well-placed smear of drool.

This tour certainly allowed a glimpse at PG's personality - he seems a very confident, determined munchkin. I loved the wiggling to get free, which to me suggests PG is very curious and eager to explore.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:06 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
To describe the War Memorial...
Thank you for your description, Iluvbertie.

I knew of course of Gallipolli. First the naval attempt to blast through the strait, which failed. Followed by the landing of infantry which got bogged down and the nothing short of miraculously extraction of the troops when it was finally decided to leave.

However, I had a look at some statistics: Enlistment statistics and standards, First World War | Australian War Memorial

Around WWI the Australian population was about four million.
An astonishing 416.000 signed up.

Of those 65 % became casualties in various ways, of those 59.000 died.
It is no wonder ANZAC Day is such an important event in the collective minds of Australians.

- And let us not forget the New Zealanders either!
These figures speak for themselves.

Population: Around one million.
120.000 signed up.
41.000 were wounded.
18.000 did not return.

- Astonishingly, - and chillingly - that's almost exactly the same casualty figures as for the British forces on the first day of the Battle of Somme 1916.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:02 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post
What was the wall of Poppies William and Kate were seen examining all about? I wasn't able to see any names engraved on the wall beside any of the Poppies and the article didn't explain about it either, so just wondering.
Here is a photo of our poppy (in 2007) for my Great Great Uncle William Osmond Frost, it shows the names and how it looks.