The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-24-2014, 08:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

It sounds very much like the conditions the Canadian troops faced at Dieppe, France in WWII. A beach head overlooked by high hills or cliffs that produced a slaughter on the beach below. :(

Thank you for the link.

God Bless The Memory of the Fallen.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:32 PM
Courtier

Royal motorcade just arriving at the National War Memorial.
The Duchess in dark blue hat and dark blue/grey coat - hair down - with poppy, and perhaps small piece of rosemary, on lapel. Also wearing necklace seen at Uluru.
The Duke in dark blue suit with medals and sprig of rosemary on his lapel.

Crowds at War Memorial clapped when they arrived.
Governor-General will be last to arrive - as the representative of the Queen.
Sir Peter is wearing what looks like an Australian ''Akubra'' hat.
The Duchess is seated next to Dr Brendan Nelson - who used to be the Minister for Health, and now runs the National War Memorial.

P.S. Some Australian schoolchildren are in France as a choir. Parts of France still honour Australia's War Dead on a daily basis with flag and last post ceremonies - thankful for the Liberation the Anzacs brought them almost one hundred years ago

Old 04-24-2014, 09:50 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post
What a surprise to everyone there to see TRH attend that Dawn Service, but I'm betting they gained an awful lot of respect from the Aussie Vets and serving Armed Forces Members that were there. Good on them for attending.
I think it was kind and courteous of all involved to make this an unannounced attendance. It was one way to ensure that all that were there were there for the purpose of remembrance rather than those that would come out solely to see Will and Kate and distract from the purpose of the Dawn Service.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 04-24-2014, 10:04 PM
Aristocracy

According to Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter, on Twitter, Kensington Palace said "Kate's poppy brooch was given to her last night by Emma, the wife of Corporal Ben Roberts-Smith, one of three Australian VC holders."
Old 04-24-2014, 11:16 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by laduchesse View Post
According to Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter, on Twitter, Kensington Palace said "Kate's poppy brooch was given to her last night by Emma, the wife of Corporal Ben Roberts-Smith, one of three Australian VC holders."
Now that is very touching and probably means a lot to Kate.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 04-24-2014, 11:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I think it was kind and courteous of all involved to make this an unannounced attendance. It was one way to ensure that all that were there were there for the purpose of remembrance rather than those that would come out solely to see Will and Kate and distract from the purpose of the Dawn Service.

I agree. The focus should remain on the veterans.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:46 PM
Courtier

Just the planting of the Lone Pine seedling, and maybe some footage as the Cambridges fly off - I'll catch up with that on the evening news.

The whole Tour was wonderful, both New Zealand and Australia.

My favourites were the bright blue sky of Queensland with the Duchess getting into the cockpit of the Super Hornet, all of little Prince George's appearances - staged and off the record, the Show and the beach.

I hope we see them back here in Australia before too many years pass.

Also, what fun, and more enjoyable, the last few weeks have been, being able to come on The Royal Forums and hear everyone's thoughts and views. Wishing everyone the best.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:47 AM
Serene Highness

Sun Lion, you are a champ, broken bones and all!

Thanks for being our woman/man? on the street- or should I say on the couch? Here's a sweet piece from the Huffington Post:

Kate Middleton Steals All William's Attention On Last Day In Australia

Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-25-2014, 01:19 AM
Imperial Majesty

Last sight of his royal cuteness Prince George. He's yelling and waving his hands-ready to go home like all of us! pic.twitter.com/6UNgH5hHfL
"@byEmilyAndrews Last sight of his royal cuteness Prince George for a wee while I suspect! Total cutey. pic.twitter.com/KjTUSM0FjP"
I think i'm going to cry RT @Georginaitv Goodbye from Australia. The royal family are on the flight.#itsawrap pic.twitter.com/uBDPUhI9tj
Very cute seeing George, dressed in red, shaking hands with all the dignitaries and letting out the odd wail.

Rebecca English ‏@RE_DailyMail 1m
It's been one of the most memorable tours I have covered in 10 years of royal reporting & arguably one of the most successful in the last 30

One final wave from the Royal couple & baby George as they bid farewell to Australia #RoyalVisitAUS (@channeltennews) pic.twitter.com/OHFzPcfr6c
George arrives in the back of the car with mum. William in the front. Doors open and they're right. He's noisy! pic.twitter.com/x6T2ifWCXj

Rebecca English ‏@RE_DailyMail 22s
Tour over, William and Kate want some quiet time as a family,I am told,including a private celebration to mark their 3rd wedding anniversary

Video of The Cambridges Departure:
http://instagram.com/p/nMvp1cn01U/

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 04-25-2014, 01:27 AM
Heir Presumptive

This really was a great tour. I think it's going to be remembered as a huge
moment in Kate's transformation into a senior royal.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:37 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
This really was a great tour. I think it's going to be remembered as a huge
moment in Kate's transformation into a senior royal.
I agree, I know William, the royal family and the Middleton's must be very proud on how much she has grown into her role as a senior royal and the way she is helping and supporting William. I'm also proud of how William is supporting her as well. The love and support must be on both ends and you can really tell that's the case.

Diana once said that her and Charles's official tour to Australia and New Zealand had changed her, I think the same may have happened to Catherine.

William, Kate and George depart-
"The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are heading for home after their three-week official visit to Australia and New Zealand with baby George. The royal couple's last day in Australia was spent marking the 99th anniversary of the dawn landing of Anzac troops at Gallipoli. Kate, wearing the outfit she wore to the national service, carried baby George up the stairs and into the plane, where the family waved goodbye to Australia. They'll fly to Sydney before transferring to another flight for the trip home."
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11232364

Gorgeous photo of William comforting George from @MEDIAMODEAus pic.twitter.com/W4wTCgHNDH
William, Kate & George wave goodbye from the plane door as #royalvisitaus ends via @hellomag http://goo.gl/aCm8um pic.twitter.com/FkbgpJrjOB
The Royals wave farewell as they depart Canberra. Photo @ellinghausen via @theage_photo #Royals pic.twitter.com/qF231UxFPQ

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 04-25-2014, 04:08 AM
Courtier

Cannot believe the Royal Tour has come and gone. I enjoyed watching every moment on TV, reading every article in newspapers and comments on various message boards. Thank you to all who contributed in keeping us up to date with all the visits of Will and Kate ( and George on occasions.) He definitely was the star of the show. I expect to have some withdrawal symptoms over the next few days. THANK YOU everyone.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:44 AM
Nobility

Honestly out of the whole trip, I am very surprised on how well George behaved during the tour. Every pictures, videos shows that the 8-months old is born to be in the public eyes for the whole of his life - totally unfazed by all the attention and new faces in front of him. Instead he remains looking excited and sociable - love how he was crawling among all the toys during his first official engagement.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:13 AM
Aristocracy

Has been a wonderful tour both NZ and Australia loved seeing the royals in the daily news. It was very moving to see the couple at the dawn service I really like that the only thing that ruined today was Tony Abbott getting his mug in every shot was sickening to see him grovelling to the royal couple blegh!!!!
Old 04-25-2014, 06:24 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlklhm View Post
Honestly out of the whole trip, I am very surprised on how well George behaved during the tour. Every pictures, videos shows that the 8-months old is born to be in the public eyes for the whole of his life - totally unfazed by all the attention and new faces in front of him. Instead he remains looking excited and sociable - love how he was crawling among all the toys during his first official engagement.
I agree. He was the star performer!! Not a tear or tantrum in sight. Feisty baby which is awesome. What I did want to see was the attachment between him and his parents. I did not observe it. Not even in the candid photos taken of their day off in Canberra.

Was looking out for it on their last photos as they left but...NADA!
Old 04-25-2014, 07:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanAUSSIE View Post
What I did want to see was the attachment between him and his parents. I did not observe it. Not even in the candid photos taken of their day off in Canberra.

What exactly would have satisfied your wish? To me there were many subconscious moments when both parents demonstrated their genuine affection. Given that most of the time these moments were in the public eye -I think it speaks volumes for the close relationship between parents and child. You say the candid photos didn't achieve this either - again what would have pleased you?
Old 04-25-2014, 08:53 AM
Royal Highness

Duke & Duchess and Anzac Day
Prince George new photos
Duke & Duchess of Cambridge: Trip to NZ and Australia, April 7-25 2014 | Selda Göktaş
Old 04-25-2014, 09:04 AM
Majesty

Well, now that the show is over, what's the word on the street in Australia?

Do people find it made a difference?

What visit?!?

A sigh of relief. Because no one screwed up?

This visit just emphasized, the need for Australia having it's own official head of state?

Or an absolutely "No way!!" to the above?

I think you get my meaning.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:05 AM
Courtier

It has been so lovely having having the royal couple (trio) in Australia for a visit. I hope that they will return again soon and visit Perth too.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:11 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanAUSSIE View Post
I agree. He was the star performer!! Not a tear or tantrum in sight. Feisty baby which is awesome. What I did want to see was the attachment between him and his parents. I did not observe it. Not even in the candid photos taken of their day off in Canberra.

http://www.blogcdn.com/slideshows/im...d-day-14-1.jpg

http://www.straitstimes.com/sites/st...bygeorge3e.jpg

Nada?!? The "attachment" between parents and baby was clearly visible every time they appeared together. I cannot think of how you came to this conclusion (yes, I know, you don´t like the Cambridges, heaven knows why, but still bother to post on this thread, but still...).

I think this was one of the most successful royal tours ever; HM must be more than satisfied and pleased with the Cambridges. W and C have done such a great job for the Monarchy already! Every appearance well poised and royal while still accessable and caring. They´ve won my deepest respect.