The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-03-2014, 04:19 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden View Post
Well I have dropped comments to people at college, friends at the beach and at dinner on Saturday night regarding the tour and the response has been 'who bloody cares'. The average West Australian it seems (at least those I have spoken to age range 18-48) are not interested. A couple people even commented that they thought we had gotten rid of the monarchy already! I will be interested to see just how well this tour is received.

Hey Eden - just as well WA was left off the itinerary by sound of it ....

Maybe that's why we're already focusing on the "family" and "baby Prince" aspects - as noted before, Prince William's previous visit did not draw the Sydney crowds that Oprah Winfrey and Ellen DeGeneres did.

A lot rests on Catherine, and the idea of an attractive, young family group, for this Tour.

I hope their health keeps ups - people will be disappointed if someone is unwell/misses an event etc.

They really need to come with "all guns blazing" these days to make a mark - everyone is so saturated with the rich, beautiful, talented and famous etc., in everyday life now.

The Premier of NSW Barry O'Farrell, was on the telly tonight - I don't want to say imploring - but making a point of asking that people get out and give the Royal Couple "the welcome they deserve".

The Easter Sunday Church Service, Good Friday Royal Easter Show Day and Anzac events would have had big crowds anyway - so they won't look neglected on these occassions. Smart organizers somewhere.

Cheers, Sun Lion.

Old 03-03-2014, 04:33 AM
Majesty

The Show on Good Friday is already so bad due to crowds that having them there will make it a no day for many people. I never go on Good Friday as there is no room to move and this will be no different.

I too am hearing of absolutely no interest amongst my friends, colleagues or students. No interest at all. School holidays means that most of us will be away anyway - a number of our students are going on overseas holidays so that is more important to us.

They create zero interest out where I am.

Old 03-03-2014, 04:53 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The Show on Good Friday is already so bad due to crowds that having them there will make it a no day for many people. I never go on Good Friday as there is no room to move and this will be no different.

I too am hearing of absolutely no interest amongst my friends, colleagues or students. No interest at all. School holidays means that most of us will be away anyway - a number of our students are going on overseas holidays so that is more important to us.

They create zero interest out where I am.

Good Friday at the Show is a madhouse - bad both if it's hot and sunny, and if it's wet and raining. Absolutely for the die-hards only - give me any other day.

Only good result if things pan out as you and Eden are seeing, is that people like me might have a chance to get a good photo or two , though I think it will be a big media thing all the time they're here.

Yes, school holidays = ghost town. If the traffic in Sydney is moving, it must be school holidays and most people have left.

Sun Lion.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:59 AM
Courtier

I guess it´ll be as always: First people moan, declaring no interest. But when the Royals have arrived (especially these 3), crowds start to build up. I mean, who thought of the last Queen´s tour to become such a huge success before?
And there´s always talk of the young people not being intersted, but when the Royals do a walkabout you can see 100s of young people lining the street, getting out their smartphones for selfies etc ...
Old 03-03-2014, 05:04 AM
Majesty

One reason why so many school kids are there is that these tours are normally undertaken during term time so they bus the kids from their schools to the royal visit - my school took Year 8 last year to see Mary and Frederick but this year no such excursion to see William and Kate - had they been here during term time again we would have take a group to see them.

A lot of people turn out to see them simply because it is a free show - not anything to do with liking them but more to do with seeing a show - would also turn out to see any celebrity.

I loved the stories about the number of people who turned out to see Harry when he came out to see the naval review yet where I was no one even ev as they turned out to en knew he was here
Old 03-03-2014, 07:44 AM
Nobility

Quote:
One reason why so many school kids are there is that these tours are normally undertaken during term time so they bus the kids from their schools to the royal visit - my school took Year 8 last year to see Mary and Frederick but this year no such excursion to see William and Kate - had they been here during term time again we would have take a group to see them.

A lot of people turn out to see them simply because it is a free show - not anything to do with liking them but more to do with seeing a show - would also turn out to see any celebrity.

I loved the stories about the number of people who turned out to see Harry when he came out to see the naval review yet where I was no one even ev as they turned out to en knew he was here

Agree Iluvbertie.

The Naval Celebrations were one of the best things I've ever seen in Sydney and I had four big, full days from early morning to late night, plus later seeing special concerts, the final city march, and the tall ships and foreign navies sailing off days later.

No-one would have known Prince Harry was there if he wasn't shown on TV.

He certainly didn't take away from it, but he also really didn't add anything to it for the general public.

The whole occasion was too big for one lone Royal to stand out in anyway.

And I say that having experienced running into him, as it were, three times on the main day on the Harbour.

W and C will do well because of the "free show" effect - then we'll all get back to our lives as soon as the cars drive off, and it's no longer on the news.

Sun Lion.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:33 AM
Majesty

Quote:
1990s - the royals were on the nose and the idea of rubbing their wealth in the faces of ordinary people was one thing that they were advised no to do as it would only turn people against them more.

Personally I am pleased we are not going to see that showiness considering that Kate wouldn't wear anything properly and would cover any jewels with her hair.

The days of flouting one's wealth has gone.
I don't think the royals were rubbing their wealth in the faces of the people. They wore jewels that were passed down to them. Funny how no one feel the same about the other European royals, who make sure to wear they're jewels every chance they get.

I think the British royals allowed people to bully them into losing the beauty they once had.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 03-03-2014, 08:41 AM
Serene Highness

I like the hub and spoke system they are using. It lets George stay in a secure location while still having access to his parents plus logistically it save the time and energy of transporting all the luggage around the 2 countries if they went city to city.

I would think the press pack following the tour will be huge and very international due to the presence of the chubby cheekster Prince George. It give the 2 countries a lot of publicity for their tourism industry.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:45 AM
Majesty

Remarks by Miguel Head, Private Secretary to The Duke of Cambridge on Their Royal Highnesses's upcoming tour to New Zealand and Australia-
Our view

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 03-03-2014, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
I guess it´ll be as always: First people moan, declaring no interest. But when the Royals have arrived (especially these 3), crowds start to build up. I mean, who thought of the last Queen´s tour to become such a huge success before?
And there´s always talk of the young people not being intersted, but when the Royals do a walkabout you can see 100s of young people lining the street, getting out their smartphones for selfies etc ...
Yep. I remember these same kind of comments (no one cares, it's all media hype, everyone will be on vacation) for the Cambridge's wedding, their Canadian tour and even the Queen's Jubilee. Yet when the time arrived, there were huge crowds.

I'm sure there are tons of people that don't care, but there are also tons that do. This tour may not bring the biggest crowds ever, but I'm sure there will be plenty of people that come out to see them. And more importantly, this tour is a great way to showcase Australia and New Zealand. I've never been to either country, so I'm really looking forward to seeing and learning about all of the different places that William, Kate, and George visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
I like the hub and spoke system they are using. It lets George stay in a secure location while still having access to his parents plus logistically it save the time and energy of transporting all the luggage around the 2 countries if they went city to city.

I would think the press pack following the tour will be huge and very international due to the presence of the chubby cheekster Prince George. It give the 2 countries a lot of publicity for their tourism industry.
Agree.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Lion View Post
Hi All,

Here are a couple of photos I've taken, from the water, of Admiralty House and it's neighbour Kirribillli House, where the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will be based in Sydney.

(The smaller Kirribilli House is for the Prime Minister of Australia's use when he is up here from Canberra.)

W and C will look out across the Harbour to the Opera House opposite - (these photos are from the side, not the front).

Cheers, Sun Lion.
Not too shabby! that fast boat tour they are going on - Brave people!
Old 03-03-2014, 03:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Lion View Post

W and C are trailling in the footsteps of CP Frederik and CP Mary of Denmark at bit with the National Portrait Gallery, National Arboretum and Admiralty House.

Even racing each other in yachts has been done by CP Frederik and CP Mary.
i doubt W and C are deliberately following the footsteps of F+M. catherine is patron of the National Portrait gallery in london, and they have taken part in races in earlier tours in canada, and other hiking activities while in malaysia, so this is just following on from their interests and the causes they already support.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 03-03-2014, 03:44 PM
Courtier

This thread is full of negativity for what should be a positive tour.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalistbert View Post
This thread is full of negativity for what should be a positive tour.
Happens before any major royal event. Jubilee; wedding; royal tours - all of them. Negative people have a 4 week window in which to have their say and then will go away during the event because (as in the past) they will be proved wrong.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 03-03-2014, 05:12 PM
Majesty

JB ‏@Royal_beans 1h
Courtesy call by Prince William on King Tuheitia cancelled because 90 minutes 'not enough' to meet Maori protocol. #royal #royaltour

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 03-03-2014, 07:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
JB ‏@Royal_beans 1h
Courtesy call by Prince William on King Tuheitia cancelled because 90 minutes 'not enough' to meet Maori protocol. #royal #royaltour
Boom! I wonder how this will resolve.

"They are pretty, they are shiny, and they are more fun to look at than the shame that lives inside us all". John Stewart, The Daily Show
Old 03-03-2014, 07:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Boom! I wonder how this will resolve.
I think William will have to step in. KP have already said that they have agreed a schedule set out by NZ Government so aren't taking any responsibility. I think they may have had more to do with it than that, otherwise why were they out there for a week or so for a pre-tour recce.

And NZ Republic are already having a go - this from Twitter
Prince William is not visiting Turangawawae because a photo opportunity in Cambridge is more important to his PR team than meeting Tuheitia.

I know that the "hub" idea and being with George is v important but according to the articles I've read today, the 90 minutes offered to the Maori's is longer than usual. Lots of time being spent travelling it seems.

HMQ will not be pleased.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:55 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Happens before any major royal event. Jubilee; wedding; royal tours - all of them. Negative people have a 4 week window in which to have their say and then will go away during the event because (as in the past) they will be proved wrong.

I was not attempting to be negative why do you count an honest observation as a negative. I don't see the point of pretending that people other than those on this board care about the royal houses in any country. Yes maybe as Sun Lion pointed out it is because Perth is not part of the tour. However it is just a reality, most people have a life, money worries, family issues to concern themselves with a royal tour. If it makes an ounce of difference I am personally looking forward to the tour.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden View Post
I was not attempting to be negative why do you count an honest observation as a negative. I don't see the point of pretending that people other than those on this board care about the royal houses in any country. Yes maybe as Sun Lion pointed out it is because Perth is not part of the tour. However it is just a reality, most people have a life, money worries, family issues to concern themselves with a royal tour. If it makes an ounce of difference I am personally looking forward to the tour.
Was not picking on you - sorry if you thought I was.

There are negative reports on Australian news, press, twitter, the Maori people, republican movement in NZ - lots and lots of people having their say.

I'm getting confused because this subject is being discussed in 2 threads and I'm trying not to repeat myself.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Was not picking on you - sorry if you thought I was.

There are negative reports on Australian news, press, twitter, the Maori people, republican movement in NZ - lots and lots of people having their say.

I'm getting confused because this subject is being discussed in 2 threads and I'm trying not to repeat myself.
And Cepe - you get a hats off for trying to not repeat, rather than to post the same thing (almost) on thread, after thread, after thread.

"They are pretty, they are shiny, and they are more fun to look at than the shame that lives inside us all". John Stewart, The Daily Show

Tags
australia, cambridge, catherine, new zealand, william