Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Tour of Australia - April 16-25, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've seen the dress- can go to bed now.
Wish I had done myself a favor and gone to bed earlier. Baroness, your description of a line was not far off.
Miss.

ETA..Oh, the event in the green dress was not The governor's reception?
Good,- hopefully Kate will change outfits!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks- never heard of the place. But isn't ANZAC an Australian/New Zealand thing? What's Turkey got to do with it?
Gallipoli is the failed Allied invasion of Turkey in World War One.

8.000 Aussies died there (including my great-grandfather - aged 49)
2,000 NZers also died there
34,000 British troops
1,000+ Indian troops
49 Newfoundlanders
9,700 French

and 56,000+ Turks

The leader of the Turkish defences was Kamal Ataturk - the father of modern Turkey who made his name in the defence of Gallipoli.

The aim was to open the sea route to Russia but taking Constantinople and knocking Turkey out of the war - poorly planned and poorly executed all round.

Great success of the ANZACs and other Allied forces was the withdrawal when there were only two casualties - both injuries not deaths.

It is the founding day for Australia, New Zealand AND Turkey in many ways and all three nations regard the day as very important.

Duchess in pretty bone-white dress - hair up, dark shoes and dark clutch bag - at formal Reception at Yarralumla.

Designer is American - not worn before - Lela Rose.

Cocktail length, with cut-out sleeves and peplum. Nice earings andd bracelet.

Duke in dark blue suit and royal blue patterned tie.

Last edited:
A very pretty dress with interesting detail. Not liking the accessories - a nice jewelled sandal would have been better imo

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 11h
Just trying to check out that reference to next year's Gallipoli centenary but it sounds as if the plan is for Kate to go to Turkey too.

Oh, I hope Kate does go to Turkey!
Was looking at the DM article from yesterday- Kate was beautiful in her white dress of course, but I loved the photos of her and little Wilhelmina.
And the photos of her and William at the playground with the kids.
It simply does not get better than that.

Last edited:
I have to say that Catherine looked lovely in that white dress. I have to agree with Ella C in that the dress does have some interesting detailing to it. It is simple and elegant. Good job and great hair style.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using The Royals Community mobile app

I must say that I'm really going to miss seeing the Cambridge's on a regular bases. This has been one amazing tour and William & Catherine worked their tails off on this trip. Also, that little crumb snatcher (Prince George) has made me laugh a lot. William & Catherine have their hands full with George.

I'm hoping that they will plan more engagements around London with George in attendance once in a while. I think he's proven that he can handle it when he feels like it.

[LIVE STREAM] Anzac Day Commemorations-
[LIVE STREAM] Anzac Day Commemorations - National - NZ Herald Videos

RoyalKateDebate @RoyalKateDebate · 4m
Kate and William currently at an unannounced dawn ANZAC service #RoyalVisitAus

@RoyalKateDebate· 8m
The Governor-General has turned up at the dawn service with some royal house guests @GuardianAus pic.twitter.com/hfVxwVdDSV"”

Royal Central @RoyalCentral · 5m
The service takes place at the Parade Ground, Australian War Memorial. It lasts from10.15 am – 12 noon approximately. #RoyalVisitAus

Last edited:
Australian TV channels have footage of the Duke and Duchess at the Dawn Service in Canberra - at the National War Memorial there.
Very dark as more pre-dawn than when the sun up. People following their programs by torch light. (Looks like Canberra's service started at 5.30am - Sydney's was to start at 4.30am.)
The Duke in his medals and the Duchess in a very large scarf - would be very chilly.

Australians would be very touched by their attendance at this particular service - the ''Dawn Service''.
W looked very ''taken'' by the proceedings.
Perhaps they'll join in and have a gun-fire breakfast - coffee and rum.
More than thirty six thousand people at this particular servce.
Not a last minute decision to attend the Dawn Service. Dr Brendan Nelson, of the National War Memorial, has confirmed that he's known for a few days that they would be there.

TV commentators very glad that the Duke and Duchess attended this - ''very respectful of everyone they've met in Australia'', ''haven't put a foot wrong'' on the Tour etc. W and C are scheduled to lay a wreath on the tomb of the unknown soldier at the mid-morning servie - and plant the Lone Pine tree as their final act, before flying out this afternoon, local time.

What a surprise to everyone there to see TRH attend that Dawn Service, but I'm betting they gained an awful lot of respect from the Aussie Vets and serving Armed Forces Members that were there. Good on them for attending.

The article state that Prince George is in a "full-blown teething mode". They made it quite clear why he is drooling.

Yes, I know that, but I didn't say that they didn't make the reason why George was drooling not clear. I said that the article was harsh. That is all. :ermm:

The Duchess of Cambridge has spent more than two weeks charming New Zealand and Australia, so it was no surprise that she made a dream come true for a three-year-old girl who 'loves princesses'.
Greeted outside the National Portrait Gallery in Canberra by Wilhelmina Dreghorn with a bouquet of flowers, the Duchess replied by thanking her and complimenting her on her dress.
'Thank you very much,' she said. 'I love your dress, is it new?'
Afterwards, the girl's mother Keeley Dreghorn, said: 'She loves princesses so it's a dream come true for her.'

Prince William and Kate, Duchess of Cambridge arrive in Canberra | Mail Online

:previous:
thank you for this.
always nice to read the history :flowers:

As General Sherman said, "War is hell." But some parts of war are more hellish than others, and Gallipoli is certainly one of those. There is a movie, Gallipoli, from the 80's which was well-regarded. It starred Mel Gibson when he was young and handsome.

Royal motorcade just arriving at the National War Memorial.
The Duchess in dark blue hat and dark blue/grey coat - hair down - with poppy, and perhaps small piece of rosemary, on lapel. Also wearing necklace seen at Uluru.
The Duke in dark blue suit with medals and sprig of rosemary on his lapel.

Crowds at War Memorial clapped when they arrived.
Governor-General will be last to arrive - as the representative of the Queen.
Sir Peter is wearing what looks like an Australian ''Akubra'' hat.
The Duchess is seated next to Dr Brendan Nelson - who used to be the Minister for Health, and now runs the National War Memorial.

P.S. Some Australian schoolchildren are in France as a choir. Parts of France still honour Australia's War Dead on a daily basis with flag and last post ceremonies - thankful for the Liberation the Anzacs brought them almost one hundred years ago

What a surprise to everyone there to see TRH attend that Dawn Service, but I'm betting they gained an awful lot of respect from the Aussie Vets and serving Armed Forces Members that were there. Good on them for attending.

I think it was kind and courteous of all involved to make this an unannounced attendance. It was one way to ensure that all that were there were there for the purpose of remembrance rather than those that would come out solely to see Will and Kate and distract from the purpose of the Dawn Service.

According to Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter, on Twitter, Kensington Palace said "Kate's poppy brooch was given to her last night by Emma, the wife of Corporal Ben Roberts-Smith, one of three Australian VC holders."

According to Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter, on Twitter, Kensington Palace said "Kate's poppy brooch was given to her last night by Emma, the wife of Corporal Ben Roberts-Smith, one of three Australian VC holders."

Now that is very touching and probably means a lot to Kate.

I think it was kind and courteous of all involved to make this an unannounced attendance. It was one way to ensure that all that were there were there for the purpose of remembrance rather than those that would come out solely to see Will and Kate and distract from the purpose of the Dawn Service.

I agree. The focus should remain on the veterans.

Just the planting of the Lone Pine seedling, and maybe some footage as the Cambridges fly off - I'll catch up with that on the evening news.

The whole Tour was wonderful, both New Zealand and Australia.

My favourites were the bright blue sky of Queensland with the Duchess getting into the cockpit of the Super Hornet, all of little Prince George's appearances - staged and off the record, the Show and the beach.

I hope we see them back here in Australia before too many years pass.

Also, what fun, and more enjoyable, the last few weeks have been, being able to come on The Royal Forums and hear everyone's thoughts and views. Wishing everyone the best.

Last sight of his royal cuteness Prince George. He's yelling and waving his hands-ready to go home like all of us! pic.twitter.com/6UNgH5hHfL
"@byEmilyAndrews Last sight of his royal cuteness Prince George for a wee while I suspect! Total cutey. pic.twitter.com/KjTUSM0FjP"
I think i'm going to cry RT @Georginaitv Goodbye from Australia. The royal family are on the flight.#itsawrap pic.twitter.com/uBDPUhI9tj
Very cute seeing George, dressed in red, shaking hands with all the dignitaries and letting out the odd wail.

Rebecca English ‏@RE_DailyMail 1m
It's been one of the most memorable tours I have covered in 10 years of royal reporting & arguably one of the most successful in the last 30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o3bciOGpnE&feature=youtu.be&ac

One final wave from the Royal couple & baby George as they bid farewell to Australia #RoyalVisitAUS (@channeltennews) pic.twitter.com/OHFzPcfr6c
George arrives in the back of the car with mum. William in the front. Doors open and they're right. He's noisy! pic.twitter.com/x6T2ifWCXj

Rebecca English ‏@RE_DailyMail 22s
Tour over, William and Kate want some quiet time as a family,I am told,including a private celebration to mark their 3rd wedding anniversary

Video of The Cambridges Departure:
http://instagram.com/p/nMvp1cn01U/

Last edited:
This really was a great tour. I think it's going to be remembered as a huge
moment in Kate's transformation into a senior royal.

Back
Top Bottom