Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Official Visit to Poland & Germany - July 17-21, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Video: Knot bad: William and Kate try pretzel making - BBC News
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have tried their hand at pretzel making on their visit to Heidelberg in Germany.

Prince William made various attempts alongside Kate, before opting for a simpler dough folding method.

The couple then each coxed a boat for a race on the river - with the prince's boat the apparent winner.

Videos from Getty Images:

Footage of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge visiting a Heidelberg... Stock Footage Video | Getty Images

Footage of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge finishing the Heidelberg... Stock Footage Video | Getty Images

Footage of the Duchess of Cambridge receiving her medal following the... Stock Footage Video | Getty Images

Footage of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge returning to land after... Stock Footage Video | Getty Images

Videos from the garden party yesterday: (Much of it not posted here)
Exterior shots of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge attending a... Stock Footage Video | Getty Images

Exterior shots of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge attending a... Stock Footage Video | Getty Images

William's speech - part 1:
Exterior shots of Prince William, Duke of Cambridge making a speech... Stock Footage Video | Getty Images

William's speech - part 2:
Exterior shots of Prince William, Duke of Cambridge making a speech... Stock Footage Video | Getty Images

Video of the meeting with German Federal President, Frank-Walter Steinmeier and his wife Elke Budenbender at Bellevue Palace:(Not posted here)
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge meet the German Federal President,... Stock Footage Video | Getty Images

Video from today:

Last edited:
I don't know if the Daily Mail reporter here is ignorant, silly or deliberately ignorant: Kate Middleton and Prince William with German youngsters | Daily Mail Online

That sign is not considered offensive in most places outside UK, at worst it's considered cheeky.
The Asians use it constantly as a peace sign and in continental Europe it's to the best of my knowledge rabbits ears, making fun of the one in front of you.

Does the British press have a quota saying: You must write at least five silly articles a day.

Last edited:
Finally the essence of the whole trip is covered. Brexit.

That is the only seriousness about this trip, William getting the formal Brexit message across, reading a statement.
The rest is PR, really. Look how pretty Kate looks. What is she wearing? And the children, how cute!
Rowing, doing Pretzels.
I really don't envy royals, at all. And sometimes I really understand the look on William's face when he is fully aware that he has to make a fool of himself for the sake of the firm and the country in order to get a formal government statement across. Kate is much better at pretending it to be fun, because she wasnt born into it.

I don't know if the Daily Mail reporter here is ignorant, silly or deliberately ignorant: Kate Middleton and Prince William with German youngsters | Daily Mail Online

That sign is not considered offensive in many places outside UK, at worst it's considered cheeky.
The Asians use it constantly as a peace sign and in continental Europe it's to the best of my knowledge rabbits ears, making fun of the one in front of you.

Does the British press have a quota saying: You must write at least five silly articles a day.

As you say, asian tourists do it all the time and its very common among teenagers. The victory sign has only one offensive background in Germany, when the former Deutsche Bank Boss Ackermann imitated Michael Jackson at court, doing the victory sign what came across as arrogant and caused major outrage at the time. It has nothing to do with young people doing it, very normal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Leave it to the Fail to give lessons on offensiveness where it isn't warranted. As a hippie relic myself, I've always thought of the "V" sign to mean "Peace dudes!" As this was in Germany where it is painfully obvious that the British meaning behind some things don't carry any clout, little kids doing the "V" or even "rabbit ears" are cute when you see the smiles on their faces.

Doesn't the Fail have anything better to do than focus on the negatives in any little thing they can find? I'm going to have to start to dig a massive hole to accommodate my rapidly decreasing esteem of this publication. Anyone got a good shovel?

:previous: Shovel? How about an excavator? :D

It's alas an international phenomenon. With an ever decreasing number of exceptions, the journalists in my country are getting sillier too. Not necessarily because they have to, but because they are silly.

No wonder the trustworthiness of journalists have dropped to be on par with politicians (below politicians in fact, according to the latest survey I read), lawyers and used car salesmen.

Those are some great photos of William and Catherine in Heidelberg today; and it's nice that they visited a town twinned with Cambridge.

That sign is not considered offensive in most places outside UK, at worst it's considered cheeky.

It's used as a 'rabbit ears' gesture here in the UK too; and that's probably what it was being used for in this case.

The Daily Fail is just making a mountain out of a molehill, as per usual. And the silly season hasn't even started yet!

Three thoughts from me about this trip:

1. It's not just the the DF who writes about this nonsense, it's the other papers too (including the express).

2. The press coverage has been very positive for this trip, but the articles is written in a very silly and idiotic way.

3. If there is someone who calls William and Kate boring and uncharismatic after this trip, then they have to see something completely different from what I see.

Those are some great photos of William and Catherine in Heidelberg today; and it's nice that they visited a town twinned with Cambridge.

It's used as a 'rabbit ears' gesture here in the UK too; and that's probably what it was being used for in this case.

The Daily Fail is just making a mountain out of a molehill, as per usual. And the silly season hasn't even started yet!

its not just dailyfail that looks stupid.. its the sun as well..putting it on its cover...

that gesture in america is known as both the peace sign and bunny ears...and those boys were probably putting bunny ears on their friends...

could the dailyfail and sun be any more self centered...gestures dont mean the same thing everywhere...and you would think so called journalists would know that...but then again they are basically tabloid trash rags

i don't think the daily mail, or any other press, necessarily is attacking george and charlotte. they are just reporting on what they saw of them getting on and off the plane, which was very little, when the kids were probably tired and sleepy, so they just communicated that. it would be silly to suggest that they are attacking them or saying that they mean 'they are not behaving properly'. no one expects small children to be completely up to speed with this sort of event, even less so a 4 year old. i think we are reading too much between the lines.

Last edited:
Three thoughts from me about this trip:

1. It's not just the the DF who writes about this nonsense, it's the other papers too (including the express).

2. The press coverage has been very positive for this trip, but the articles is written in a very silly and idiotic way.

3. If there is someone who calls William and Kate boring and uncharismatic after this trip, then they have to see something completely different from what I see.

I think the real measurement of the success of this trip is the coverage in Germany and by most accounts it seems to be great and very positive.

That is the only seriousness about this trip, William getting the formal Brexit message across, reading a statement.
The rest is PR, really. Look how pretty Kate looks. What is she wearing? And the children, how cute!
Rowing, doing Pretzels.
I really don't envy royals, at all. And sometimes I really understand the look on William's face when he is fully aware that he has to make a fool of himself for the sake of the firm and the country in order to get a formal government statement across. Kate is much better at pretending it to be fun, because she wasnt born into it.

Working royals are puppets, basically. They have no power and the best that even a very long standing monarch like the Queen can hope for is unofficial influence. I think what both Kate and William have going for them is that they seem to truly enjoy interacting with the many random people put in front of them. Kids? Warm and affectionate greetings. Holocaust survivors? Seemingly genuine, intent listening and empathy. Angela Merkel? Pleasant chit chat that actually looks like none of them are aware of the who knows how many cameras are recording them. Kate is more effusive and smiley but William has his mother's shy sympathy look down pat.

Warm and fuzzy PR, and lots of it, is really the most important part of their job. But they also seem to be trying to do good work within the confines of their positions more and more at home. The focus on mental health, for example, has a lot of potential, and I like the fact that at least there is focus so they can have the opportunity to work at something that truly interests them. I think most people want to have meaningful work of some sort in their lives, something they can build over time and that's not just ornamental.

I think the real measurement of the success of this trip is the coverage in Germany and by most accounts it seems to be great and very positive.
Agree! And as I wrote in the post you quoted, the british press coverage has also been very positive for this trip, but the articles is written in a very silly and idiotic way.

Working royals are puppets, basically. They have no power and the best that even a very long standing monarch like the Queen can hope for is unofficial influence. I think what both Kate and William have going for them is that they seem to truly enjoy interacting with the many random people put in front of them. Kids? Warm and affectionate greetings. Holocaust survivors? Seemingly genuine, intent listening and empathy. Angela Merkel? Pleasant chit chat that actually looks like none of them are aware of the who knows how many cameras are recording them. Kate is more effusive and smiley but William has his mother's shy sympathy look down pat.

Warm and fuzzy PR, and lots of it, is really the most important part of their job. But they also seem to be trying to do good work within the confines of their positions more and more at home. The focus on mental health, for example, has a lot of potential, and I like the fact that at least there is focus so they can have the opportunity to work at something that truly interests them. I think most people want to have meaningful work of some sort in their lives, something they can build over time and that's not just ornamental.

1. That's the whole point with having a constitutional monarchy or an apolitical president together with an parliamentary elected government. And this is in my (and many others) eyes the best political system one can have.

2. Constitutional monarchs (In Europe and Japan) and apolitical presidents are unifying figures (a monarch more than a president) that have the potential to get approval ratings at 80/90% (something both Queen Elizabeth II and King Harald have), while political leaders who are both head of state/government often are divisive and therefore not have the ability to unify the nation.

3. Both constitutional monarchs (their family members) and apolitical presidents are puppets when it come outward/inward state/oficial visits and other constitutional matters. But when it comes to much of their daily events, then they decide a lot themselves together with their advisers.

4. If a non-elected head of state has political power/influence, then they goes under the category authoritarian leader or dictator. So if (for example), the British monarch had real political power/influence, then I would no longer have support the monarchy.

Leave it to the Fail to give lessons on offensiveness where it isn't warranted. As a hippie relic myself, I've always thought of the "V" sign to mean "Peace dudes!" As this was in Germany where it is painfully obvious that the British meaning behind some things don't carry any clout, little kids doing the "V" or even "rabbit ears" are cute when you see the smiles on their faces.

Doesn't the Fail have anything better to do than focus on the negatives in any little thing they can find? I'm going to have to start to dig a massive hole to accommodate my rapidly decreasing esteem of this publication. Anyone got a good shovel?

I googled V sign to check its meaning and apparently, the meaning differs depending on which way the palm is facing. However - I think that must only be in England or maybe Europe as I had never heard of the offensive version until one of Pippa's page boys used it. Also, while googling it, there is a photo (perhaps photoshopped?) of Churchill using it with the palm facing himself. If the photo is legit, then the original sign be made either way.

Kids are kids and the DM can't know their intention.

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us/dictionary/english/v-sign

V-sign
ˈvē ˌsīn/Submit
noun
a sign made with the first two fingers pointing up in a V-shape, with the palm of the hand facing outward, used as a symbol or gesture of victory or peace.
BRITISH
a sign made with the first two fingers pointing up in a V-shape, with the back of the hand facing outward, used as a gesture of abuse or contempt.

Read more: Duke and Duchess of Cambridge let the train take the strain on final day of German tour
German commuters would have been forgiven for doing a double take at Berlin station when the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge joined them on a busy train to Hamburg.

The Royal couple were photographed at the station on their way to their final day of engagements of their five-day tour.

While they usually charter a private jet or travel in a car convoy under police protection, they were on Friday morning seen joining commuters on the escalators to catch a high-speed ICE train.

Video:
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have visited the Maritime Museum in Hamburg today, on the last day of their official visit to Germany. Their Royal Highnesses met museum staff before being shown large models of ships built out of Lego bricks:
News Production | ITN Productions

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, with the children visit the Airbus helicopters on the tarmac of the Airbus compound in Hamburg

Belga Image

looks like little Charlotte wanted to stay in Germany a bit longer lol;)
https://peopledotcom.files.wordpress.com/2017/07/royal-family-12.jpg?w=1440

Charlotte don't wanna to leave for sure ?

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-I2U2woTQ...00000578-4718400-image-a-21_1500649812371.jpg
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-i0Xa7pmU...800000578-4718400-image-a-9_1500649413982.jpg
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-qN_84oyH...00000578-4718400-image-a-60_1500651727770.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful pics of the family. George and Charlotte are beyond adorable as usual. William and Catherine have their hands full for sure, :lol:.

The telegraph article I posted in my above post, but updated - read more:
Prince George follows in father's footsteps as he sits in helicopter pilot's seat
Prince George and Princess Charlotte followed in their father's footsteps as they were given a tour of the helicopters he flies.

The two smallest Cambridges were allowed to roam around the cockpit of the EC145, and Airbus helicopter the Duke flies during his work as a search and rescue pilot.

Prince George, who celebrates his fourth birthday on Saturday, was given a treat many little boys can only dream of, sitting in the pilot's seat with expert instructions from his father.

Read more: Duke and Duchess of Cambridge depart Hamburg after five-day tour - ITV News
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and their two children, Prince George and Princess Charlotte, are on their way home after a five-day European tour.

The prince and princess explored a rescue helicopter flown by their father in his job as an air ambulance pilot, as well as another model, as they visit Airbus' plant in Hamburg before they boarded their flight home.
Video:
The Royal couple wrapped up their visit to Europe, leaving Hamburg on their personal jet. Prince George took the last moment on the tarmac to give some helicopters a royal inspection:
News Production | ITN Productions

Videos from Getty Images:
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge arrive at Maritime museum in... Stock Footage Video | Getty Images

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge leave the Maritime museum in Hamburg,... Stock Footage Video | Getty Images

Footage of Prince George and Princess Charlotte exploring helicopters... Stock Footage Video | Getty Images

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, along with their children, depart... Stock Footage Video | Getty Images

I have really enjoyed following this trip, and the Duke and Duchess (as usual) have done a good job together with George and Charlotte.

TRH The Duke and Duchess visited the Elbphilharmonie Concert Hall, Hamburg, Germany.

PPE Agency

The Cambridge family visit to Airbus

PPE Agency

Charlotte cracks me up. She's got a bit of her great aunt Anne in her and she can be all business. She observes her parents and then gets right in on the act and does a great "princess" job. She seems to have a good deal of self confidence.

George, I imagine, much more preferred to getting into that airbus and nosing around and checking everything out. Whomever gave Will and Kate that gift when George was born that said "Daddy's Little Co-Pilot" on it was right on the money. George seems as enthralled with things that fly as his dad and his uncle Harry were as little kids.

Charlotte is precious. She cracked me up insisting on shaking the hand of the German official and then immediately turning shyly toward Mummy:p

George is beautiful with all that curly hair. They are storybook children, both of them.

Last edited:
The terrible twos strike! Adorable Charlotte erupts into a tantrum as she refuses to board the plane at Hamburg airport (but it's all smiles from George who gets a helicopter tour as an early birthday treat)

Prince George gets a tour of a HELICOPTER in Hamburg | Daily Mail Online

Most annoying headline from DM - there was no tantrum and we are talking about toddlers. You can't please everyone I guess.

:previous: Wasn't the poor baby crying because she had just taken a nasty spill out on the tarmac?:whistling:

She was doing what many toddlers do when they fall down and hurt themselves. They cry for a minute and their parents try to comfort them. DOWN WITH THE FAIL!:bang:

:previous: Wasn't the poor baby crying because she had just taken a nasty spill out on the tarmac?:whistling:

She was doing what many toddlers do when they fall down and hurt themselves. They cry for a minute and their parents try to comfort them. DOWN WITH THE FAIL!:bang:

If you watch the video, Charlotte seems to have a strop, and Catherine tells her off and she "falls" on to the tarmac. She then gets picked up, comforted and then she skips to the helicopter.

But yes the daily mail over-exaggerated as always.

Back
Top Bottom