Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Official Visit to Poland & Germany - July 17-21, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Historic"? Just some visits by a grandson of the Queen, a son of the Prince of Wales. Why is everything magnified these days? Historic. Iconic. Come on...

Truth is that the couple will have zero effect on the Brexit talks. The 27 EU memberstates are waiting, and waiting, and waiting on a coherent outline of what the British Government actually wants and the route to achieve those goals.

The Duke and Duchess will be greeted with politesse and diplomatic smiles. In the meantime the diplomats working for Merkel and Macron are sharpening their strategy to increase the pressure on the UK to deliver.

I am a royalist, I think William and Catherine are charming people but really, let us keep a bit with both feet on the ground. It is a handshake and a nice photo opportunity, that is the utmost "influence" the couple will have. And rightly so.

Last edited:
"Historic"? Just some visits by a grandson of the Queen, a son of the Prince of Wales. Why is everything magnified these days? Historic. Iconic. Come on...

As to "historic" we will not know until some analysis after the Brexit deal is done. But "charm" is an essential skill in diplomacy and diplomacy it the tool in Brexit negotiations. Somewhere out there, someone is building an algorithm to predict the impact of various royal visits on political climates. :lol:

It will be years before we can guess at the influence of the royals on the eventual Brexit deal. One thing is sure, however Brexit turns out; the UK needs to have solid relationships with European nations, 1, 5 and 10 years out. Not that royals make policy - but they build emotional bridges. Establishing how Europeans see the future with the UK begins with every tour the Cambridges make.

"Historic"? Just some visits by a grandson of the Queen, a son of the Prince of Wales. Why is everything magnified these days? Historic. Iconic. Come on.

I don't think the visit will be historic or iconic but I also think it's disingenuous to describe William as the grandson of the Queen and son of the Prince of Wales to downplay the importance of the visit. Ask non British people what they think of when they think of the UK. I would bet money the majority of them would say "the Queen" or "William and Kate." According to protocol William and Kate aren't at the top of the pecking order but according to, you know, reality, globally they along with QEII are by far the best known royals, (from any country), as well as being two of the best known people in the world, full stop. And they're only going to become better known and more prominent as time goes on.

So while this isn't going to be a Kennedy in Berlin kind of visit, the U.K. is sending their A team to Germany and Poland and the people who matter there realize it and will take note.

The thing is, it is not just 'a visit by the grandson of The Queen and the son of the Prince of Wales'. This is a visit by The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, who alongside the Queen, are the most well-known royals in the world. People around the globe know who they are and media and news outlets pay attention to their visits.

The British royals aren't similar to other European royals. They are on an international stage when it comes to publicity and prominence. Though William is just second-in-line, media outlets are more interested in his visits than a visit done by a first-in-line ( and even Monarchs ) from other Monarchies. The media coverage of visits done by Victoria, Frederik etc are not even on par with William's, and mostly goes unnoticed by the international media and common folks from other countries.

:previous: Exactly!

Photos from this tour are going to be plastered all over the place, in newspapers around the world.
William's position in the hierarchy is almost irrelevant.

Prince George and Princess Charlotte are too cute!

Safely on the ground. Children well behaved. Off the plane and on their way from the airport.

Char in red and white. Mom in white/nude shoes. George in shorts and a plaid shirt and wow have his legs gotten longer! Dad in his business uniform. Light, mostly off rain drips.

Princess Charlotte in red/white- the Polish Colours..

I love it that Charlotte is a mini-Kate and pretty much achieved the whole 'Fashion Diplomacy' look with the red and white dress which pays tribute to the colours of Poland.

Probably a controversial thing to say but I can completely understand why William and Catherine want their children to have a normal life for now but there have been a few occasions when George has been seen in public and the poor thing seems completely overwhelmed - very different scenario to Princess Estelle.

Not the right place for discussing I know but there does seem to be a big difference on how children are raised and their reaction to circumstances (and I do totally understand that Estelle and George are at different levels to the thrown!)

Also there is way more interest and demand for George and Charlotte than Estelle. Swedish royals don't make the covers of US magazines while British royals do.

I'm watching it on Good Morning America. Can't get over Princess Charlotte doing the handshake. :D

Every child has their own personality and their own development. Each is unique.

Last edited:
While I know this trip is a diplomatic one between the UK and Poland and Germany, the Cambridges coming to visit as a family makes the visit seem a bit more on the informal, friendly basis than just two royals doing a lot of photo ops and handshaking. Of course with the kids, the media is more likely to go into overdrive covering the events.

It also shows me that the Cambridges are very much family orientated. These are two parents that don't like the idea of leaving their kids for a week which they very easily could have done. I can remember when George was still an infant and it was stated by either William or Kate that they scheduled things so that there would always be one parent at home with George. I expect this to continue as the children grow that it will always be family first for this couple.

Princess Charlotte in red/white- the Polish Colours..

Note the red clutch bag, ruby and diamond pendant and earrings for CAtherine, which along with the white ensemble, is the perfect homage to the colours of the Polish flag.

Is there any pics or video of Charlotte shaking hands?

Charlotte's very cute with her little wave in the video. I'm looking forward to following this visit.

The kids are very cute...just love Charlotte's dress and shoes! Appears that, for now, she is going to be much more comfortable with the chaos (media/people standing around) than George.

Kate looks lovely as well.

LaRae

Catherine and William are so cute! Kate was given a gift for a newborn today and she turned to William and said "We'll just have to have more babies" :D

Oh no kidding? That is going to set the media folks going.

LaRae

Telegraph article - read more:
Prince George takes some gentle coaxing from his father as royals arrive in Poland for 'Brexit diplomacy' tour
It is a very big task for a very small person.

Little wonder Prince George needed a little coaxing today, as he embarked on a five-day family tour to charm Europe.

The Prince, who turns four on Saturday, took some gentle persuasion from his father, the Duke of Cambridge, as he landed in Warsaw to face a line of grown-up dignitaries and the drizzling rain.

With his hand firmly in his pocket, the little boy seemed reluctant to leave the cosy private charter plane, halting at the door before listening carefully to a few words from the Duke.
1. I'm not a big fan of the telegraps royal correspondent Hannah Furness - why? Because if I didn't know who was her employer, I would have guessed that she wrote for the DF.

2. Gordon Rayner (now political editor) was much better with the royal stuff.

Videos:
Videos from Getty Images:
I've just sent through two clips of the Duke and Duchess' arrival at... Stock Footage Video | Getty Images

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge leave the Warsaw Spire building after... Stock Footage Video | Getty Images

Last edited:
Charlotte looks lovely as usual.

And let me say that Agata Kornhauser-Duda is one classy woman. Probably my favourite current First Lady after Finland's Jenni Haukio. It's not a matter of vital importance, of course, but I still have to see a royal lady whos is able to outshine them.

Oh no kidding? That is going to set the media folks going.

LaRae

That is exactly what I thought. Maybe this will make them leave Harry and Meghan alone for a few days.

Articles from the BBC:

Read more:
George and Charlotte join Poland and Germany diplomacy tour - BBC News
The royal couple and their children were then welcomed in Warsaw at a meeting with President Andrzej Duda.

They visited the Warsaw Rising Museum, dedicated to the 1944 Polish uprising to liberate Warsaw from German occupation during World War Two.

Prince William and Catherine will also meet survivors of the Holocaust and Nazi oppression.

In Poland, they will tour the former Stutthof concentration camp where 65,000 people died, and tour the site of Gdansk's shipyards, the birthplace of Poland's Solidarity movement that helped topple communist rule.

From Peter Hunt - read more:
Royal trip to 'show strength of EU ties' - BBC News
For Prince George and Princess Charlotte such trips are a novelty but, as the future of the British monarchy, they'll one day become a way of life.

For their parents, the visit to Poland and then to Germany will inevitably be viewed in the context of Brexit.

It won't have any impact on the negotiations.

It will, the Foreign Office hopes, remind people of the strength of the ties that will endure after the UK has left the EU.
I'm not a fan of Peter Hunt either, and prefer the BBC's other royal correspondents: Nicholas Witchell, Daniela Relph and Sarah Campbell.

Kate Williams discussing the royal visit on Sky News:

Back
Top Bottom