The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-19-2017, 07:31 AM
Heir Apparent

The visit seems to be going wel.

Rhiannon Mills @SkyRhiannon
William, Kate and the children land in Berlin #RoyalTourGermany a local journalist says there's a bigger press pack than when Obama was here

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DFF1VYEXcAA0oaV.jpg:large

Old 07-19-2017, 08:26 AM
Majesty

Thanks, Iceflower.

I think Daily Mail tends to have a go at George on this trip. He is after all just a small child.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:27 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Angela Merkel hosts William and Kate for a private lunch | Daily Mail Online
Merkel hosts private lunch
Old 07-19-2017, 10:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Thanks, Iceflower.

I think Daily Mail tends to have a go at George on this trip. He is after all just a small child.
As I said, I don't think they should have taken the children on this trip. It is not a friendly Commonwealth tour, but rather an official visit in a moment of high diplomatic tension between the UK and the visited countries.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:20 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Thanks, Iceflower.

I've noticed that. They need to give him a break, he's a shy 4-year-old who is not used to the attention yet and probably isn't quite old enough to understand why he has to do these sort of things. It also doesn't help that the Daily Mail is pointing out that Charlotte seems to be easier and more outgoing than her brother. I know that George has no clue of what they're saying, but I think it may already be setting up their "media personalities" to contrast each other: George as shy and difficult, Charlotte as friendly and easy. We all know that the way the media portrays them can stick around for a while, and it may be hard for him to overcome it as he gets older.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:23 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
As I said, I don't think they should have taken the children on this trip. It is not a friendly Commonwealth tour, but rather an official visit in a moment of high diplomatic tension between the UK and the visited countries.
IMHO I think that's exactly why they brought the children - to try and lighten the mood.

And I love the picture of Charlotte receiving what must be her first bouquet of flowers.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:32 AM
Imperial Majesty

George is okay. He's like his dad. When he's relaxed, George usually waves and smile for the people and cameras. He's just not relaxed at the moment. Some balloons or treats should've been there for them st the airport. Kids eat that stuff up.

I love that Charlotte received her first bouquet of flowers. I notice she love flowers.

A.W. TOZER
Old 07-19-2017, 12:04 PM
Serene Highness

I think Prince George is acting age appropriate, 3-4 year old boys are shy normally. He is finally starting to understand more of what is going on around him and tend to be more clingy and shy, at least in my experience. He's a beautiful little boy who doesn't quite understand this whole business, it would scare me for goodness sakes.
but I agree with Dman, they should of had something specific for a 4 yr old boy so he could be a little more relaxed.
I think Kate and William handle it very well but I just wanted William to pick George up and hug him. Poor little guy
Old 07-19-2017, 12:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
George is okay. He's like his dad. When he's relaxed, George usually waves and smile for the people and cameras. He's just not relaxed at the moment. Some balloons or treats should've been there for them st the airport. Kids eat that stuff up.
Are you saying that the Federal Republic of Germany should have to worry about having ballons for a 4-year-old foreign prince ? I guess that not even the arrogant Windsors rise to that level of sense of entitlement !

Surfers often say that, if the waves appear too big to you to paddle through, that is a sign you shouldn't be paddling out that day. Likewise, if George is uncomfortable, it suggests to me that he shouldn't have been there in the first place.

I don't know whose idea it was (maybe the government's or even the Queen's ), but it looks unprofessional to me to take the kids on a diplomatic mission, charming though as George and Charlotte may be.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:18 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebafan81 View Post
I think Prince George is acting age appropriate, 3-4 year old boys are shy normally. He is finally starting to understand more of what is going on around him and tend to be more clingy and shy, at least in my experience. He's a beautiful little boy who doesn't quite understand this whole business, it would scare me for goodness sakes.
but I agree with Dman, they should of had something specific for a 4 yr old boy so he could be a little more relaxed.
I think Kate and William handle it very well but I just wanted William to pick George up and hug him. Poor little guy

That is why this age is referred to by Child Development experts
as the Fearful Fours...
Old 07-19-2017, 12:22 PM
Aristocracy

Oh brother. Its not like the kids are crawling around on floor while their parents meet with Merkel. If the countries had an issue with it, they wouldn't be there.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Read more: Duchess of Cambridge given impromptu language lesson as she tells woman in Berlin 'my German is a bit rusty'
Quote:
The Duchess of Cambridge was given a make-shift German lesson today as she visited Berlin’s iconic landmark, the Brandenburg Gate.

She had earlier confessed to Angela Merkel that she did not speak the language, as they met on the Duke and Duchess' first day in Germany.

In their first walkabout of the three-day trip, the Royal couple were greeted by a crowd of around 2,000 gathered in the city centre, just yards from where the Berlin Wall used to stand.

Among them was a woman who spoke fluent English with a slight German accent.

“She said my English was very good,” said Tracey Spagatner, 49. “I said, ‘Yes, well, I am English.’”
Video:
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have met the German Chancellor Angela Merkel in Berlin today, as they start their official visit to Germany:
Home - ITNSource News
Old 07-19-2017, 12:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Are you saying that the Federal Republic of Germany should have to worry about having ballons for a 4-year-old foreign prince ? I guess that not even the arrogant Windsors rise to that level of sense of entitlement !

Surfers often say that, if the waves appear too big to you to paddle through, that is a sign you shouldn't be paddling out that day. Likewise, if George is uncomfortable, it suggests to me that he shouldn't have been there in the first place.

I don't know whose idea it was (maybe the government's or even the Queen's ), but it looks unprofessional to me to take the kids on a diplomatic mission, charming though as George and Charlotte may be.
No entitlement. Just saying it would've been a nice gesture to have something really nice and exciting to greet the kids off the plane.

Listen, they're kids and kids can be shy. The media need to cool down on calling George reluctant or anything on that level. It's very natural to be shy, especially at this age and on trips like this.

It just breaks the ice with some kids to let them see and feel something exciting with trips like this. As a kid on planes, I enjoyed receiving my American Airlines wings. It was something that caught my attention and helped lighten my mood. Something to help lighten George and Charlotte moods after lengthy flights are nice gestures, imo.

A.W. TOZER
Old 07-19-2017, 01:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

I didn't notice your post before I saw it quoted by Dman (and this has nothing to do with this thread), but what do you mean by ''arrogant Windsors''? The Queen, Charles, Camilla, William, and Kate is some of the least arrogant public people I know about.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:10 PM
Majesty

Meeting with the German president Frank-Walter Steinmeier

Belga Image
Old 07-19-2017, 01:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
I didn't notice your post before I saw it quoted by Dman (and this has nothing to do with this thread), but what do you mean by ''arrogant Windsors''? The Queen, Charles, Camilla, William, and Kate is some of the least arrogant public people I know about.
Sorry, I didn't want to get that personal, but, by "arrogant", I meant things like;

1. No Windsor attending Queen Fabiola's funeral (although QEII attended King Baudouin's funeral).

2. The PoW not attending the weddings of CP Frederik and CP Victoria.
( although he attended Philippe's, Felipe's and Willem-Alexander's).

3. Princess Anne not wearing the sash of Grand Cross of the Order of Isabella the Catholic, which she had apparently received from King Felipe VI (although she wore the star).

Etc. Etc.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:25 PM
Majesty

aww George was a bit sleepy
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DFF105NXoAAI1KG.jpg

video of the kids eager to get on their plane
https://twitter.com/JakubKrupa/statu...92624303083520

and little George sneezing and getting rid of the evidence, lol
https://twitter.com/PARoyal/status/8...61620750688256

William and Kate meeting Angela Merkel
Old 07-19-2017, 01:36 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
Read more: Duchess of Cambridge given impromptu language lesson as she tells woman in Berlin 'my German is a bit rusty'

The Duchess of Cambridge was given a make-shift German lesson today as she visited Berlin’s iconic landmark, the Brandenburg Gate.

She had earlier confessed to Angela Merkel that she did not speak the language, as they met on the Duke and Duchess' first day in Germany.

In their first walkabout of the three-day trip, the Royal couple were greeted by a crowd of around 2,000 gathered in the city centre, just yards from where the Berlin Wall used to stand.

Among them was a woman who spoke fluent English with a slight German accent.

“She said my English was very good,” said Tracey Spagatner, 49. “I said, ‘Yes, well, I am English.’”

Video:
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have met the German Chancellor Angela Merkel in Berlin today, as they start their official visit to Germany:
Home - ITNSource News
Wonderful!
These things just happen.

I too think the children are a little young for this sort of visit. I.e. it's not child-friendly. Of course because of the schedule, but more because the children are surrounded by lots of adults who speak either with a heavy accent or something they can't understand.
I think a trip to York, or if it has to be abroad, Canada or New Zealand, would be better, where they can go for a walkabout in a town and let the children loose on a local playground with local children they can speak with.
George is not acting up at all, or being difficult. He's just old enough to realize that everyone are staring at him, without really understanding why. So of course he's shy and uneasy. Most children enjoy being the center of attention - on their terms, that is. That's not the case here.
Charlotte is too small to really care about other people (so long as they keep a healthy distance, I imagine), as long as mother (or a nanny) is around. So she takes the attention in her stride. And perhaps she's more extrovert as well, I don't know.

The children has to learn to be in the public eye, but it's a mighty big step on this trip IMO!
Old 07-19-2017, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Charlotte and George have been on these type of trips before (New Zealand, Australia and let's not forget that Canada was just last year). Not to mention they've experienced huge crowds (Trooping for instance). So I'm not seeing how they're too young for this visit.

George just seems like a shy kid.

Quote:
I don't see why they shouldn't have taken them. It's not like George and Charlotte are disrupting or taking attention away from any of the events. We only see them getting on and off the plane.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:04 PM
Heir Apparent

George has been on official visits to Australia, Canada and now Poland and Germany. Big visits with massive media. More than most princes and princesses his age are exposed to. I think he handles it very well.

The thing is children aren't circus animals. They just can't perform at the click of a finger.

It will be funny to see the reaction from people when the Nordic tour is announced and the children stay home. Everyone will complain about that.