The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-18-2019, 12:23 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Some visiting heads of state, especially from the Indian subcontinent and the Arabian peninsula , wear traditional clothes at gala events in the UK, but the emperor and empress of Japan for example wore western clothes at state banquets both overseas and at home. I believe the president of South Korea also wore white-tie tailcoat in Denmark. So I don’t think it is a rule that they must always wear traditional clothes.

I think it was a nice diplomatic gesture on William’s part considering Britain’s past colonial history in Pakistan.
I think the difference is in what is actually worn day to day in said countries. In Korea, men usually wear western style clothing. While yes, we will see the first lady of Korea in a traditional outfit for a white tie event, that is a special occasion. Men do not walk around in the streets in 'national dress'. It would be shocking to see the President dressed as such. Just as we would not expect the Danish or Swedish royals to attend a state banquet in their traditional dress.

The ones we see dressed in the traditional garb, are those who come from countries where that is for many, every day dress. Or for formal events. Some in their countries may wear western style, but you'd still see people dressed as this walking down the road any day.

Now if Kate went to Sweden and wore an outfit like Victoria wears during national day, that would be costume and not go well.

This day seemed a great day for the tour. They both really enjoyed cricket and their interaction with the kids.

As for Kate and her speech, sorry I dont get the 'heart felt' vibe of it. Or even the connection to the actual visit. It get they have pre-written speeches, but this one just did not fit. Sorry you can't stand there with a speech in hand, reading about how the tour you just finished, impacted you. She had never been there when that speech was written. It lacked sincerity for me. And the constant reading of the speech didn't help for me. Eye contact would have served some help here. And maybe a bit off the script, actually talking about the experience and not in general.

Old 10-18-2019, 04:08 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

RAF Voyager is making another attempt to return to Islamabad this morning;

https://twitter.com/chrisshipitv/sta...094575624?s=21

Old 10-18-2019, 04:56 AM
Administrator

Here's a another gallery and an article about the final day:

** rex gallery **

** dm: Prince William and Kate Middleton leave Lahore on the final day of their Pakistan tour..**

** gettyimages gallery: PAK: The Duke And Duchess Of Cambridge Visit Islamabad And West Pakistan **
Old 10-18-2019, 05:01 AM
Nobility

Yep, it was a nice visit and the Queen and the UK were very well represented.

But what I have seen, was mostly a very "traditional" Pakistan... and some charity stuff with children.

Hmm, if the aim of the visit was to represent the Queen and the UK in Pakistan to foster the bilateral relations, then it was a success.

But the picture of Pakistan shown during this visit was pretty... hmmm... "traditional" like in opposite to "modern".

I looked for, what they were planning:
https://www.royal.uk/duke-and-duches...visit-pakistan

And yep, all objectives fullfilled! So, in toto, it was a very successfull journey in my humble opinion.
Old 10-18-2019, 05:42 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

The video from the plane looks terrifying. Glad everyone is okay.

According to the DM article posted above (and royal reporters on Twitter), the Cambridges had to cancel today’s engagement due to the flight delay.

Quote:
Meanwhile royal aides and diplomats hurriedly re-arranged the couple's schedule, reluctantly cancelling an important visit to a Pakistani military post on the Afghan border and a helicopter flight over the famous Khyber pass, which hadn't been been revealed in advance for security reasons.
They now plan to visit an Army canine center and then fly home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
As for Kate and her speech, sorry I dont get the 'heart felt' vibe of it. Or even the connection to the actual visit. It get they have pre-written speeches, but this one just did not fit. Sorry you can't stand there with a speech in hand, reading about how the tour you just finished, impacted you. She had never been there when that speech was written. It lacked sincerity for me. And the constant reading of the speech didn't help for me. Eye contact would have served some help here. And maybe a bit off the script, actually talking about the experience and not in general.
The speech seemed heartfelt to me.

Just because a speech is pre-written, doesn’t mean things can’t be added to it. Her comment about the tour was only maybe two sentences long, so it could have easily been added after she and William finished the tour. The bulk of the speech was about the organization and the excellent work they are doing, so I’m not sure how the speech didn’t fit/didn’t have a connection to the visit.

As for the no eye contact, that seems to be a habit with members of the BRF. Most of them read their speeches straight from a paper and only occasionally look up.
Old 10-18-2019, 06:20 AM
Super Moderator

It's a great shame that their schedule had to change as it would have been interesting to see images of the Khyber Pass from the above.

Other than that, the tour has been a colourful and fascinating one and for me has highlighted the beauty and culture of that region.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:10 AM
Majesty

Quote:
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge were forced to change their schedule on the penultimate day of their Pakistan tour after their plane got caught in a thunderstorm on their way back to Islambad after spending the day in Lahore, on Thursday.

The couple stayed at the Pearl Continental Hotel overnight following two aborted landings by the RAF Voyager pilot. British High Commission officials were quick to find the couple a hotel room, along with their entourage, security team and around fifty journalists - almost 100 rooms in total.

Following the frightening experience, Prince William and Kate privately thanked their RAF pilots and praised royal aides and British High Commission officials for immediately coming up with an emergency backup plan. William, 37, also personally insisted that journalists travelling on the royal tour, who were also on the flight, came with them to the hotel.
Read more: Prince William and Kate personally made sure 100 passengers were accommodated after turbulent Lahore flight
Old 10-18-2019, 09:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

Aside from the unfortunate and unavoidable cancellation of the the visit to West Pakistan and the helicopter flight over the Khyber Pass, this has been an exceptionally well planned and executed royal tour. The engagements were well chosen and offered some fantastic opportunities for William and Catherine to highlight causes and initiatives that are in their areas of special interest, and to present themselves as polished representatives of both the
Queen and UK interests. I thought Kate's speech showed huge improvement over her early efforts--you can tell how much work she's put into doing better at something that is obviously not one of her special talents. I really respect that.

There were so many very special moments: Catherine wearing primarily Pakistani or Pakistani inspired dress, the arrival by tuk-tuk and William emerging from the tuk-tuk in a sherwani, the tea party and visit to the pediatric cancer ward, the visit to the mosque to highlight interfaith efforts, the visit to Chitral, the trip to to the glacier and meeting the villagers who had been affected by flooding, the dancing and the hats.

I was also impressed by William insisting that the press be taken care of due to the unexpected detour back to Lahore--it was considerate on a human level, but also a good longer term investment in goodwill which shows that William (or someone) is thinking ahead.

Overall, an excellent tour. I usually begin to lose interest after about day 2 or 3 of a tour, and this one kept my interest for the entire trip.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:27 AM
Gentry

I swear Kate has her own Wind Machine.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
Aside from the unfortunate and unavoidable cancellation of the the visit to West Pakistan and the helicopter flight over the Khyber Pass, this has been an exceptionally well planned and executed royal tour. The engagements were well chosen and offered some fantastic opportunities for William and Catherine to highlight causes and initiatives that are in their areas of special interest, and to present themselves as polished representatives of both the
Queen and UK interests. I thought Kate's speech showed huge improvement over her early efforts--you can tell how much work she's put into doing better at something that is obviously not one of her special talents. I really respect that.

There were so many very special moments: Catherine wearing primarily Pakistani or Pakistani inspired dress, the arrival by tuk-tuk and William emerging from the tuk-tuk in a sherwani, the tea party and visit to the pediatric cancer ward, the visit to the mosque to highlight interfaith efforts, the visit to Chitral, the trip to to the glacier and meeting the villagers who had been affected by flooding, the dancing and the hats.

I was also impressed by William insisting that the press be taken care of due to the unexpected detour back to Lahore--it was considerate on a human level, but also a good longer term investment in goodwill which shows that William (or someone) is thinking ahead.

Overall, an excellent tour. I usually begin to lose interest after about day 2 or 3 of a tour, and this one kept my interest for the entire trip.

Yes, I was very impressed by the professionalism and the diplomatic skills of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge on this tour. They are clearly stepping up their game.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:50 AM
Imperial Majesty

This was a nice and colorful tour by the Cambridges. I’m so proud on how far Catherine has come and I think her speech was great. Loads of pictures and videos to look back on and enjoy.

I love these royal tours.

A.W. TOZER
Old 10-18-2019, 10:56 AM
Aristocracy

A short clip of Duchess of Cambridge speaking to CNN & an article. You can see her passion for her early years program in the visit to the orphanage.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/18/asia/...ntl/index.html
Old 10-18-2019, 11:19 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tausi View Post
A short clip of Duchess of Cambridge speaking to CNN & an article. You can see her passion for her early years program in the visit to the orphanage.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/18/asia/...ntl/index.html
Thank you so much for posting this CNN interview with Catherine. Yes, you can clearly feel her passion for these early childhood programs. I love these short interviews the royals give on these tours.

A.W. TOZER
Old 10-18-2019, 12:23 PM
Majesty

“Last 5 days have been truly historic and game changing for Pakistan. As Pakistan is been portrayed on global media as a tourists friendly, peaceful, and hospitable country, and the World saw a glimpse of that during recent trip of Duke and Duchess of Cambridge to Pakistan.”

Via PTI Twitter - Official account of Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf

The Duke of Cambridge stressed the importance of security links between the UK and Pakistan as he and the Duchess of Cambridge visited a canine training centre in Islamabad on the last day of their five-day Pakistan tour.

The Pakistan Counter Improvised Explosive Device (CIED) programme, which in part breeds and trains dogs to identify explosive devices, is being supported by British troops

Old 10-18-2019, 01:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Yes, I was very impressed by the professionalism and the diplomatic skills of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge on this tour. They are clearly stepping up their game.
So was I. Its brought about a change that I know now that I need to make. Over the years here, I've always referred to The Duchess of Cambridge as "Kate". After watching the both of them in Pakistan and realizing just how they've stepped up to the line in preparation for their future roles with dignity, grace and aplomb, I believe its time I started calling her Catherine.

William and Catherine not only make a solid team that works together, plays together and is raising a family together but they're also a team going into the future with whatever may come their way. If people are saying they're excelling at "soft diplomacy", I'd like to add another word to that and call it "caring soft diplomacy". Everywhere this couple went, they connected with the people and the places they were.

Rough flights are a thing that William is used to from his work in SAR and then EAAA. He *knows* how upsetting a turbulent flight can make one feel and he did whatever he could to assure those on the plane that things are OK, cracked jokes to relieve the tension and personally took it on himself to make sure everyone was looked after. He handled that situation with professional experience just as the both of them are more and more fitting into their future roles as if they've been born into it. (pun intended).

Yeps. A *very* successful tour. Also one that makes me wish I could dress more like Catherine did on the tour.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 10-18-2019, 01:56 PM
Majesty

Quote:
The Duchess of Cambridge has said she was "hugely grateful to everyone" involved in ensuring the safe landing of the aircraft the royal couple were travelling on after it was caught in an electrical storm on Thursday.

Kate, 37, said: "I think it was quite an adventure really, it was pretty bumpy up there. We were looked after so wonderfully by the RAF who did a great job liaising with everyone and got us home safely."
Read more: Kate’s special message to RAF after landing plane safely

Lovely 8 page royal tour pullout in the Daily Mail.

“Kate Jewel of the East”

https://twitter.com/bbcnews/status/1...033266689?s=21
Old 10-18-2019, 02:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
So was I. Its brought about a change that I know now that I need to make. Over the years here, I've always referred to The Duchess of Cambridge as "Kate". After watching the both of them in Pakistan and realizing just how they've stepped up to the line in preparation for their future roles with dignity, grace and aplomb, I believe its time I started calling her Catherine.

William and Catherine not only make a solid team that works together, plays together and is raising a family together but they're also a team going into the future with whatever may come their way. If people are saying they're excelling at "soft diplomacy", I'd like to add another word to that and call it "caring soft diplomacy". Everywhere this couple went, they connected with the people and the places they were.

Rough flights are a thing that William is used to from his work in SAR and then EAAA. He *knows* how upsetting a turbulent flight can make one feel and he did whatever he could to assure those on the plane that things are OK, cracked jokes to relieve the tension and personally took it on himself to make sure everyone was looked after. He handled that situation with professional experience just as the both of them are more and more fitting into their future roles as if they've been born into it. (pun intended).

Yeps. A *very* successful tour. Also one that makes me wish I could dress more like Catherine did on the tour.
I agree with your assessment of the grace and dignity with which the Cambridges present themselves. Does anyone remember the long-running thread here “William’s Suitability to be King”? Seems funny now.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-18-2019, 06:46 PM
Majesty

great tour, even if slightly more toned down than other tours they had been in the past. loved how kate went local with her ensembles, and brought out lots of national designers.

their unexpected change of plans due to the weather makes me think the amount of logistics that need to happen when something like this goes on on a royal tour, let alone one in a country with high security such as pakistan. to turn a whole entourage around, find hotels last minute, etc must be no small undertaking. possibly they book hotels for some more nights than they are required just in case, but it made me curious as to the work that happens behind the scenes when things go wrong on a royal tour...
Old 10-18-2019, 11:42 PM
Majesty

The Duke of Cambridge, on behalf of The Queen, this morning held an Investiture at the Residence in Islamabad, Pakistan.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge afterwards visited the Army Canine Centre, Islamabad.

Their Royal Highnesses this evening arrived at Royal Air Force Brize Norton from Pakistan.

Dr Simon Case, Ms Catherine Quinn and Mr Christian Jones were in attendance.

- COURT CIRCULAR || 18 OCTOBER 2019

Tags
duchess of cambridge, duke of cambridge, official visit, pakistan