The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-29-2019, 05:35 PM
Heir Apparant
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Week Team Member

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Official Visit to Pakistan - Autumn 2019

Kensington Palace @KensingtonRoyal

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will undertake an official visit to Pakistan this autumn, at the request of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.

Further details will be advised in due course.

https://twitter.com/KensingtonRoyal/...82009619972098

Old 06-29-2019, 05:43 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

What an odd time to announcement a Royal tour, 10:30pm on a Saturday evening. Another tour with no date but the same timeframe as the Sussexes tour in Africa.

Old 06-29-2019, 05:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

It is so late. Strange announcement time. That said... I am surprised. I really thought it would be Japan. Roya said this will be a week long visit.

They also said Charles and Camilla have a tour coming as well. So three tours/visits around the same time. That will be interesting.
Old 06-29-2019, 06:22 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
What an odd time to announcement a Royal tour, 10:30pm on a Saturday evening. Another tour with no date but the same timeframe as the Sussexes tour in Africa.
According to Chris Ship, embargoed announcement. Lifted at 1030pm. Essentially it's for the Sunday Papers.

Well, they didn't make any front papers. They should have waited until tomorrow.
Old 06-29-2019, 07:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
They also said Charles and Camilla have a tour coming as well. So three tours/visits around the same time. That will be interesting.
This is normal, the royals usually have several tours in autumn.
My guess is:
September - Sussex tour
October - Cambridge tour
November - Wales tour

Pakistan makes sense, there is a huge number of Pakistani immigrants living in the UK. And Pakistan is a Commonwealth country.
Old 06-29-2019, 08:38 PM
Courtier

I am actually very excited about this tour.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:48 PM
Majesty

“The Government and the people of Pakistan warmly welcome the announcement of the Royal Visit by Their Royal Highnesses The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge to Pakistan this year.”

“The people of Pakistan still cherish and fondly recall the visits of The Queen to Pakistan during 1961 and 1997.”

“The upcoming royal visit is a reflection of the importance the United Kingdom attaches to its relations with Pakistan. The two countries enjoy historical links which both sides wish to strengthen further.”

MOHAMMAD NAFEES ZAKARIA, HIGH COMMISSIONER FOR PAKISTAN
Old 06-30-2019, 02:10 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo View Post
Well, they didn't make any front papers. They should have waited until tomorrow.
Tour announcements rarely do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marika86 View Post
Kensington Palace @KensingtonRoyal

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will undertake an official visit to Pakistan this autumn, at the request of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.

Further details will be advised in due course.

https://twitter.com/KensingtonRoyal/...82009619972098
This should be an interesting tour. If I am not mistaken, it is over a decade since a senior member of the BRF visited Pakistan. With Imran Khan as the new PM, the timing could well be designed to help improve the level of engagement with Pakistan.
Old 06-30-2019, 03:44 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
This should be an interesting tour. If I am not mistaken, it is over a decade since a senior member of the BRF visited Pakistan. With Imran Khan as the new PM, the timing could well be designed to help improve the level of engagement with Pakistan.
Yes, the last royal tour was Charles and Camilla in 2006. The queen last went in 1997.

Definitely an unexpected announcement. Thought perhaps Japan. But maybe Charles and Camilla will be the first sent to Japan and Thailand to meet the new kings. It would be more fitting for the heir.
Old 06-30-2019, 03:48 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post

Definitely an unexpected announcement. Thought perhaps Japan. But maybe Charles and Camilla will be the first sent to Japan and Thailand to meet the new kings. It would be more fitting for the heir.
I can certainly see C&C trudge to Japan and possibly, Thailand.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I can certainly see C&C trudge to Japan and possibly, Thailand.

Prince Charles will probably attend the enthronement ceremony of Emperor Naruhito representing the Queen, so there is no need for a separate official tour of Japan. Besides, he met Naruhito many times before when he was still the Crown Prince. They know each other very well.

I must say Pakistan was a surprise to me. Although it is the most populated country in the Commonwealth after India, it is not a big economy and I wouldn't see it as a priority for the FCO in the post-Brexit era. Besides, it is a tour that will require extra security for the Duke and Duchess due to the ongoing level of terrorist activity in Pakistan.

It would make more practical sense if the Duke and Duchess also visited India after Pakistan, but if that were planned, it would have been announced already.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:15 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post

I must say Pakistan was a surprise to me. Although it is the most populated country in the Commonwealth after India, it is not a big economy and I wouldn't see it as a priority for the FCO in the post-Brexit era. Besides, it is a tour that will require extra security for the Duke and Duchess due to the ongoing level of terrorist activity in Pakistan.

It would make more practical sense if the Duke and Duchess also visited India after Pakistan, but if that were planned, it would have been announced already.
I don't thik the Pakistant trip is about economics, it is about re-engaging the country after a difficult decade and a half.
Old 06-30-2019, 08:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Who originated the idea for this tour?
The British government, or the Pakistani?
Old 06-30-2019, 08:13 AM
Royal Highness

What an interesting choice for the FCO, I wonder how this was decided. That said, I am very much looking forward to this one, and I'm especially looking forward to seeing which causes and initiatives the Cambridges choose to highlight during the tour.
Old 07-01-2019, 02:37 PM

I hope they don't take the children with them. Pakistan is not a safe place. Too much ongoing terrorist activity. I will be worried about this trip even though I know there will be enhanced security.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsLeonie View Post
I hope they don't take the children with them.
It was already announced the children aren’t going.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:21 PM
Heir Apparent

An unexpected and diplomatically sensitive tour. William has shown he is able to handle those well.
Old 07-02-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Larisa View Post
It was already announced the children aren’t going.
Good. I hadn't read that. Thanks for letting me know.
Old 07-02-2019, 11:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsLeonie View Post
Good. I hadn't read that. Thanks for letting me know.
In addition to the security concerns, the children will have already started the school year in the fall , won’t they ?
Old 08-18-2019, 11:23 AM
Majesty

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s visit to Pakistan may be cancelled as tensions between Pakistan and India continue to soar over occupied Kashmir. (pakistantoday.com)

Via RoyaleVision Twitter

Tags
duchess of cambridge, duke of cambridge, official visit, pakistan