Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Official Visit to India - April 10-16, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes I feel like the press and the media don't even bother to see W&K as actual, real, air breathing human beings but more like puppets on a string that should dance to whatever tune best serves their purposes and will guarantee them headlines. These puppets should be available 24/7 and as they are public puppets on a string, they should be in the public eye at all times and anything and everything about these puppets are fair game for critique and speculation. Nothing is sacred except for that next photo shot or wardrobe malfunction for all and sundry to yammer about over their after work drinks and heaven forbid if a gesture is made that can be read as having an emotional breakdown or words said that can be picked apart syllable by syllable to make these puppets look even more inane and brainless with each published article.

Yet we wonder why these royal personages treasure their privacy so guardedly and passionately. :bang:

They may be royal personages but when they travel overseas they are also representatives of their country and of the British Crown. They're also immensely privileged human beings. When responding to a terrible situation or person who's been through a crisis, no one expects a dissertation. However a few heartwarming remarks that show that a Royal shows an interest, understands, has studied the problems a bit, wouldn't go astray.

Last edited:
Because the Queen says little of substance that's admirable? Anyway the Queen was given a barely adequate education really, even by the standards of the 1920's and 30's. The Cambridges are both university graduates. That doesn't mean they know the right thing to say instinctively, but you would expect something more substantive from a tertiary educated person in their thirties, who presumably follows world affairs and current issues.
Actually I think the disparity between the home-schooled Queen and the William and Catherine with a University Degree apiece is living proof that you don't need a piece of paper to certify that you are intelligent and it certainly doesn't prove you are "Educated". HM's education has stood her in good stead from the time she was 18 or so. I am of the opinion that when Queen Elizabeth was in her early 30's she was both politically astute and well 'schooled' in the international politics of the Cold War.

You don't shove a couple of royals in a room with the good and the great, International Heads of State and VIP's when they are ignorant, uneducated and unaware of what is going on in the world and where their own country stands on just about everything. International diplomacy is too much to risk in such a way.

I believe HM saves her "How interesting" comment for Garden Parties and such where she is meeting with the general public. Somehow I believe that had she been introduced to a survivor of the Mumbai terror attack she would have responded with a little more heart and head.

As to William and Catherine sneaking out the back . . . well, is anyone honestly surprised? William has always had a hard time separating the public and private aspects of royal life and seems to believe that he metaphorically clocks on and off for engagements and believes all other time is his own.

The insistence of 'private moments' on tours like this will cause a lot of trouble in the future if the Cambridges will continue to try and patronize the press the way they now do. You can maybe do it in their position, 3rd in line, but this will stop or escalate when William becomes PoW. Once you are on a tour you are representing the country and need to deal with the press in a best possible way for both sides. Bear it and grin if needed. The Cambridges have a lot of privacy at home, no need to drag this request into public events.

Of course it doesnt help that the tour basically consists of things that very priviledged people do on holidays, celebrity events, sports, safaris etc etc, its has nothing to do with official visits that focus on business or political issues (fair enough the Cambridges are not high enough in the ranking to do such visits).

Therefore, on such a fluffy tour like this, its hard to please anyone if you don't want to have the focus on fashion or sports acitivities.

In terms of lightweight conversations, I didn't expect anything more. To me, Wills & Kate went on a public holiday with press tagging along (could not be avoided because the taxpayer is footing the bill), not even preparing themselves for the simplest of things (eg watching a bollywood movie to not look completely stupid with your hosts - superstars of the genre -, saying something more intelligent than quoted, dress blowing up for the xth time, bringing your make up artist along on a hike to look good at the end ('Kate didn't even break a sweat', what BS, sorry). And yet people are wondering why there is nothing of substance to Kate apart from what she's wearing.

William has always had a hard time separating the public and private aspects of royal life and seems to believe that he metaphorically clocks on and off for engagements and believes all other time is his own.

And that's the problem and I am sure it will escalate along the way to becoming King.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can understand the "surreal day" comment, or at least am prepared to give Kate the benefit of the doubt about it, because I agree that the experience of the terrorist attack would have been surreal and perhaps, in her own peculiar way, Kate's thoughts were on a reasonable track.

I cannot, however, countenance any circumstances in what the response , "Gosh, so interesting!", would be a reasonable response when speaking to charity workers helping India’s street kids who are mutilated to make money begging. "Gosh, how very sad", or "Gosh, how horrible", would be more what I'd expect. Perhaps there was a language problem and she didn't understand what they were saying.

Last edited:
I am surprised suggested quotes of what Kate said, as reported by a tabloid, are being considered gospel here. The press are trying to create a story, I would not give it much credence.

I'd like to see some sort of evidence (other than a tabloid) as well....also the whole context of the conversation.

LaRae

I agree. There's been a lot of effort to wring more column inches out of the tour in the past two days.

Frankly, in that interview, the press were practically begging William and Catherine to make an emotional confession of being shattered by visiting the Taj, and both flatly refused to do so. I think the truth is that the Taj visit means a lot more to the press and to the people carrying a torch for Diana's memory than it does to William or to Kate.

True. I'm sure William has far more important and personal ways of remembering his mother. But the media need to sell some sort of emotional drama. I think many reporters try to act as if they really knew what William's relationship was like with his mother, but in reality there were and are clueless as to what his real emotions are except for the superficial and obvious one that he misses her. So they resort to things like this to tug at people's heartstrings.

For someone under the spotlight so much, I actually advocate him and Kate to do as the Queen does and retain their true emotions to themselves. They might not get as much privacy as they may like, but at least that part of themselves can remain private.

As for the comments, the first one about it being surreal sounds on the money to me. Surreal is exactly the way I'd describe somehow like that. The second sounds rather odd and if that's all she said then that requires addressing. However, I don't believe that's all she said, it would be awkward if the conversation ended there.

Last edited:
I am surprised suggested quotes of what Kate said, as reported by a tabloid, are being considered gospel here. The press are trying to create a story, I would not give it much credence.

Especially from Emily Andrews who has the credibility of a wet sock. Context of the conversation is needed. And if the press had so little access, where did she get the quotes from?

Because the Queen says little of substance that's admirable? Anyway the Queen was given a barely adequate education really, even by the standards of the 1920's and 30's. The Cambridges are both university graduates. That doesn't mean they know the right thing to say instinctively, but you would expect something more substantive from a tertiary educated person in their thirties, who presumably follows world affairs and current issues.

William and Catherine said a lot of things when meeting people on this tour. Not everything was caught by the media. The media is only picking and choosing some comments.

The media is upset, because they didn't have access to the official meetings and KP didn't release much info about them. According to the media that is...

Well, the tweets and the summaries from the press corp that I read immediately after the trip were quite positive. Grousing that the one casual evening with the press was all off the record stuff - but generally pleased for pretty pictures, fair treatment, a focus on youth and animals and lots of lovely eyes looking at their publications.
So how to keep all that going? Wait a day or two and paint an ugly picture of the tour, so that at least some of the eyes keep looking. Really, they don't want sales to slump, so they use whatever at hand to drum up interest.
It's predictable.
Morning news now just ecstatically proclaiming the Obamas will breakfast with the Queen and have dinner with William, Kate and Harry. The channel I watch dotes on the Cambridges!

Well, the tweets and the summaries from the press corp that I read immediately after the trip were quite positive. Grousing that the one casual evening with the press was all off the record stuff - but generally pleased for pretty pictures, fair treatment, a focus on youth and animals and lots of lovely eyes looking at their publications.
So how to keep all that going? Wait a day or two and paint an ugly picture of the tour, so that at least some of the eyes keep looking. Really, they don't want sales to slump, so they use whatever at hand to drum up interest.
It's predictable.
Morning news now just ecstatically proclaiming the Obamas will breakfast with the Queen and have dinner with William, Kate and Harry. The channel I watch dotes on the Cambridges!

The stuff I read right after tour was very satisfying and positive too.

I still think the Indian heat got to some of members of the media. Also, I think there was a testy moment between the media and KP as well. I don't know what that was about though.

The stuff I read right after tour was very satisfying and positive too.

I still think the Indian heat got to some of members of the media. Also, I think there was a testy moment between the media and KP as well. I don't know what that was about though.

KP wouldn't let the BBC film crew go further than half way on the Bhutan hike. The BBC threw a fit and KP compromised by allowing one guy to go further and the after hike interview.

There is almost always a press/meet & greet drinks reception on Royal tours with a press pack. In Canada, they did it at PEI, for Australia/NZ they did it beforehand at KP and brought George. They are always off record. That's not new.

The press aren't whining about the Modi lunch being private because it's boring.

Come tomorrow the Queen's birthday will wipe the stupid stories like if Will was crying at the Taj of the pages/website.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

KP wouldn't let the BBC film crew go further than half way on the Bhutan hike. The BBC threw a fit and KP compromised by allowing one guy to go further and the after hike interview.

Oh okay. I guess that was settled quickly then.

Thank you! We have no idea of the sum total of what was said. I have trouble believing that a woman who has made a priority of helping bereaved children and families would be vapid when presented with virtually the same issue overseas.

Thank you! We have no idea of the sum total of what was said. I have trouble believing that a woman who has made a priority of helping bereaved children and families would be vapid when presented with virtually the same issue overseas.
I agree. The surreal comment I thinnk is 100% ok. I mean, it must have been surreal, and that comment is probably not the only one she said. And we don't know what was said in the other occation. It could be something like "*sad things*" "oh, so horrible, I can't even imagine.." "My saving thing was a dog, he would use to sleep with me and actually is the reason I found this place" "Gosh, how interesting."

I have to agree that it was more of a private holiday than a royal tour.

During a public engagement the only 'private time' is a bathroom break.

William expecting private moments at Gandhi’s house, the safari in Kaziranga National Park, the visit to the Bhutan’s monastery and the Taj Mahal reeks of a private vacation.

i agree that they seemed to have a lot more private moments than other royals at royal tours. plus, it is rare that when other royals do tours things such as a safari or a trek are incorporated in the tour.

however, i still think they did their share of supporting local organizations and receiving british nationals abroad, so i would classify this as a semi-private tour.

but it is interesting to hear that they expected private time at the taj mahal - that seems like the most unprivate place where they could have some time alone! (unless they completely closed the facility for the tour, of course, and asked the press out after some pictures).

There is no press following Anne, the Wessexes, Andrew on tour. Charles and Camilla had very little on their Balkans tour, Harry had a bit more in Nepal. The press didn't stay and cover the school building afterwards. So that was a week of private time for Harry.

There are only a few places where you can go on Safari. Harry and the Wessexes both did in South Africa. If you are going to Germany, you aren't going on safari.

There is no press following Anne, the Wessexes, Andrew on tour. Charles and Camilla had very little on their Balkans tour, Harry had a bit more in Nepal. The press didn't stay and cover the school building afterwards. So that was a week of private time for Harry.

There are only a few places where you can go on Safari. Harry and the Wessexes both did in South Africa. If you are going to Germany, you aren't going on safari.

How very true. Letting "all the press" go to all the places means very different things for the Wessexes or the Cambridges. For the Wessexes, it wouldn't be any problem to let all their travelling press follow them to the top at the monestry. But I read that at most this week the cambridges travelled with a media consisting of 57 people (correct me if I'm wrong) and that is a whole other thing to bring up to a temple where other "tourists" are also present.

57 may have been too many, but they could have selected a chunk of them. And could have informed them ahead of time. What angered the press was they made the climb up the mountain, and then were informed that they would not be allowed to go any further. If I climbed half way up a mountain with all my equipment for a story and then got turned away, I'd be pissed too. It was handled horribly. It's no surprise the BBC was the one allowed to send a reporter, the last thing they need to do is piss of BBC news more. They should have established how many if any reporters could go with them, BEFORE the hike, so that the other agencies didn't make the trek.

57 may have been too many, but they could have selected a chunk of them. And could have informed them ahead of time. What angered the press was they made the climb up the mountain, and then were informed that they would not be allowed to go any further. If I climbed half way up a mountain with all my equipment for a story and then got turned away, I'd be pissed too. It was handled horribly. It's no surprise the BBC was the one allowed to send a reporter, the last thing they need to do is piss of BBC news more. They should have established how many if any reporters could go with them, BEFORE the hike, so that the other agencies didn't make the trek.

And how do you know all of this? Some frustrated tabloid journalist ranting??

I agree with your take that if the quantity of reporters following the Cambridges would have caused a disruption then that should have been dealt with beforehand. I have rolled my eyes plenty of times at what I've thought was entitled behavior by the media but it seems like this issue is rooted in a mistake by royal staffers. I wonder if privacy is the knee-jerk, go to excuse these days. If so, William and his staff need to re-think that because that giving that excuse is increasingly leaving William and Kate open for push back.

Last edited:
There has to be some kind of communication between the Palace and the press to establish exactly what is going to happen and when. The monastery is a very special and sacred place, so I have no problem if they wanted to visit inside it privately for quiet contemplation or whatever.
It's a two-way thing as far as I'm concerned - trek half way up a mountain without having a clue what's going to happen and take the risk or insist upon some agreement in advance to save everyone a lot of time and energy.

There should have never been a compromise because this is a public tour

There has to be some kind of communication between the Palace and the press to establish exactly what is going to happen and when. The monastery is a very special and sacred place, so I have no problem if they wanted to visit inside it privately for quiet contemplation or whatever.
It's a two-way thing as far as I'm concerned - trek half way up a mountain without having a clue what's going to happen and take the risk or insist upon some agreement in advance to save everyone a lot of time and energy.
I agreee. I mean, I always assumed the media got a scheduel of "here and here this will happen, here are some basic facts and these are the times and places you should be at such and such location".

Frankly, in that interview, the press were practically begging William and Catherine to make an emotional confession of being shattered by visiting the Taj, and both flatly refused to do so. I think the truth is that the Taj visit means a lot more to the press and to the people carrying a torch for Diana's memory than it does to William or to Kate.

Very true!
The press never misses an opportunity to insert Diana into every story, no matter what.

As for the tour serving more as a private vacation, do they really think William and Kate would choose those locations to vacation?

They always go to a beach in the Seychelles, or a ski lodge in the Alps, or someplace like that.

Sometimes I feel like the press and the media don't even bother to see W&K as actual, real, air breathing human beings but more like puppets on a string that should dance to whatever tune best serves their purposes and will guarantee them headlines. These puppets should be available 24/7 and as they are public puppets on a string, they should be in the public eye at all times and anything and everything about these puppets are fair game for critique and speculation. Nothing is sacred except for that next photo shot or wardrobe malfunction for all and sundry to yammer about over their after work drinks and heaven forbid if a gesture is made that can be read as having an emotional breakdown or words said that can be picked apart syllable by syllable to make these puppets look even more inane and brainless with each published article.

Yet we wonder why these royal personages treasure their privacy so guardedly and passionately. :bang:

Good points Osipi. Also I would think that the BRF senior royals would advise the Cambridges to be even more cautious when making conversation considering how recently some in the media have "interpreted" William's Foreign Office speech and HM's alleged remarks regarding the EU.

Yes, some very good posts here regarding the tabloid spin cycle. That anyone could possibly believe that Catherine made those sill y remarks.. I have a bridge for sale...
Sell Diana, exploit it all. Don't believe it. A vacation? With 57 People taking your picture in the extreme heat, talking to strangers the whole time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom