Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 7: September 2016-September 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder, if this tour is at the request of the government (as most of the royal tours were/are, and considering this tour seems to have no relation to the Cambridges' current projects), could they say something like "Sorry, but no. We won't do this. We'll definitely get backlash for this trip. What about say, we give example 'to stay at home during pandemic'?"
I was thinking exactly the same about this tour, that it was actually requested by the government. The Cambridges were pretty happy to conduct all of their work through Zooms and calls and so on for so long, the tour's weird timing... Maybe the government thought they want to give people a little "pick-me-up" before Christmas.

And no, if it was requested by the government, barring some serious problems (a health issue?) they can't really say no.

I know standards and policies are different in the UK than in the States, but as adorable as this is, William and Kate are not that far apart from these people; I can’t help but wonder why they aren’t wearing masks.

That said, it appears they were wearing masks during their stops in Edinburgh, so I’m happy about that.

Last edited:
I know standards and policies are different in the UK than in the States, but as adorable as this is, William and Kate are not that far apart from these people; I can’t help but wonder why they aren’t wearing masks.

They're not wearing face masks because they're not in an indoor setting where it's mandatory to wear one.

They are standing well back from the poeple, and talking wiht masks on is quite difficult...

They looked like they were standing pretty close to me...but maybe it’s just the perspective.

In any case, glad W and K are taking this tour. These workers have risked their lives, and I think a visit from the future King and Queen will bolster their spirits. This is a war on a virus, and just like George VI and Queen Elizabeth boosted morale by visiting people in war zones, so I’m sure this will be the case with the Cambridges. This is a huge part of what the Royals do, so as long as proper precautions are taken, I don’t get the uproar. Well, I do - but I’m not going to say why..

This is a huge part of what the Royals do, so as long as proper precautions are taken, I don’t get the uproar.

There is no uproar, IMO, just a little bit of noise from some naysayers on social media, but that is about it.

I think it's difficult to get perspective on how close people are standing sometimes, which is what TV shows are using a lot of at the moment. I assume they're being careful if only because the last thing they want is for Kate to get the virus or the events to be called a super spreader. And all the people they're meeting won't want to get it either.

The reindeer are definitely adorable and they look like they're part of a Christmas event for the kids at the school.

There is no uproar, IMO, just a little bit of noise from some naysayers on social media, but that is about it.

Well, I really meant here since I haven’t seen social media reaction, though I admit that “uproar” was a poor word choice.

I think it's difficult to get perspective on how close people are standing sometimes, which is what TV shows are using a lot of at the moment. I assume they're being careful if only because the last thing they want is for Kate to get the virus or the events to be called a super spreader. And all the people they're meeting won't want to get it either.

The reindeer are definitely adorable and they look like they're part of a Christmas event for the kids at the school.

I think you’re right - it must be the camera angles that make William and Kate look as if they’re so close to those people. I can’t imagine they’d want to take any chances given that he had COVID, as well as for the reasons you stated.

I’m not over the furry reindeer - they’re so precious!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t care who asked them to go. I think this is the wrong time to do it. I really don’t think its essential work either. A royal visit is the icing on the cake but not the cake. I’m not surprised Nicola Sturgeon is upset, shes seem to have had tight control during the virus and probably doesn’t want to have a Barnard Castle type responsein terms of people saying sod it, I’ll do what I like. There are thousands of people who haven’t seen relatives for months, who are obeying all the rules and apparently a nice train ride with no doubt a large number of assistants and aides to give people a pat on the back(not that I have anything against pats on the back!) is deemed essential is just a kick in the teeth.

Sturgeon would be upset if they personally delivered a 100% effective vaccine with no side effects and a billion pounds.

I expect there will be a row now but I highly doubt it was just Kensington Palace ignoring Holyrood, the arrangements probably came from elsewhere.

And this isn't them visiting friend and relatives or shopping, this is a work trip with them away from their kids, in frankly miserable weather getting moaned at, which they probably realised.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...ce-William-begin-three-day-UK-train-tour.html

So this tour was originally not asked to happen and then it went on anyways?
Eh... Not really.

Nicola Sturgeon, the First Minister of Scotland, claims that TRF were warned about Scotland's restrictions (basically people can't leave or enter Scotland without a good enough reason) but crossed the border either way.

But:
a/ Scotland is just a part of the tour and if it really was a problem, they wouldn't go there;
b/ Apparently a royal tour is a good enough reason to enter Scotland;
c/ Scotland is not happy with England at the moment, so the First Minister might just use the tour as an excuse to rile people a bit (especially if the tour was requested by the government, as we've speculated before...).

ETA:
Sturgeon would be upset if they personally delivered a 100% effective vaccine with no side effects and a billion pounds.
:previous: That.

Last edited:
Some salty politician looking to make headlines.

Bye Felicia.

Isn't she essentially the PM of Scotland? so not some salty politician..

And that last line is utterly disrespectful!

Not quite, much as she would liek to be. Nicola heads the devolved administration, but she is in no way the Prime Minister of Scotland. Scotland is not an independent country with a PM. She is more akin to a Governor of a US state, but with some additional administrative powers.

In this video of the same event you can see from their feet that they're being careful to stand back from the children, who are carefully spaced in their year group bubbles.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIf6eD1lMpi/

Yup...?

That’s so, so adorable!!

Eh... Not really.

Nicola Sturgeon, the First Minister of Scotland, claims that TRF were warned about Scotland's restrictions (basically people can't leave or enter Scotland without a good enough reason) but crossed the border either way.

But:
a/ Scotland is just a part of the tour and if it really was a problem, they wouldn't go there;
b/ Apparently a royal tour is a good enough reason to enter Scotland;
c/ Scotland is not happy with England at the moment, so the First Minister might just use the tour as an excuse to rile people a bit (especially if the tour was requested by the government, as we've speculated before...).

ETA:

:previous: That.

She sounded so bitter...like she has other issues with the BRF and this was an excuse to complain about them. Mental health is as important as physical health, but Sturgeon doesn’t seem to care about what her exhausted care workers might need.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the BIB, Conservative politicians are generally staunch monarchist or even royalist and usually defends the Royal Family (or sit on their side). I could not even think of any republican/anti-monarchist MPs in the Conservative Party. On their social media accounts, they even wish happy birthday to prominent senior working royals (as well as George, Charlotte & Louis) and wedding anniversary to The Queen & Prince Philip.

Actually it's how he addressed his tweet to "Twitter Troll Anti-royal" that amuse me. It's something that I associate with royal watching (where ppl do it as sort of hobby/entertainment), instead of royalist-republican where I imagine politician joining into the fray.
Well, I guess the line is blurred now.

The Duke and Duchess meeting school children at at Berwick-upon-Tweed.

A traditional Scottish Welcome at Edinburgh Waverley

Last edited:
Not quite, much as she would liek to be. Nicola heads the devolved administration, but she is in no way the Prime Minister of Scotland. Scotland is not an independent country with a PM. She is more akin to a Governor of a US state, but with some additional administrative powers.

I'm sorry no offence, but when I see her name, the first thing that come into my mind is "the great debate of whether Jaffa Cakes is biscuit or cake" :D

Isn't she essentially the PM of Scotland? so not some salty politician..

And that last line is utterly disrespectful!

It's really complicated and only about 2% to do with William and Kate and their stop in Edinburgh.

Yes she's the First Minister of Scotland but that's not the PM of Scotland. Westminster has to power to overrule her. More like the Governor of a US State who doesn't like the Federal Government.

She has been complaining non stop about England, the English and Westminster for a decade (except the money but even that isn't enough) and it's clear an Independent Scotland would probably soon push to become a republic.

She has particularly been complaining about England for political reasons during the pandemic (and Brexit and everything else at the moment) even though it's questionable how well she's handling it (my family up there isn't impressed). However, she's doing well in the polls and is pushing for another Indyref next year. So everything is being used to rile people up and stoke anti union sentiment. And as I said she would literally complain about William and Kate bringing the vaccine with them.

I don't know. I doubt William and Kate decided on their own to disregard Holyrood and I don't think they put anyone in danger with their brief stop in Edinburgh either. It seems everything was complied with and crossing the boarder was deemed acceptable for this work.

Could/should they have skipped it? Maybe, but it depends who was arranging the tour in the first place and why. The people that actually met with them seemed to enjoy it at least.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fem
Bitter Politicians come and go. Presumably William and Kate are going to be relying on the goodwill of the people and have people enjoying their visits long after this woman is Largely forgotten And out of office:)

When I compare the blatant defiance of covid protocols during Trump's political rallys in my own country, to what appears as a well oiled machine of covid protocol by the organizers and participants of William and Catherine's Thank You Tour, there are no comparisons. No comparison whatsoever! The benefits outweigh the risks! William and Catherine's mission is one of good will. As I watch video and view photos of their first 24 hours I'm feeling uplifted. The world is in a covid crisis. If they can bring just a bit of joy in a safe way to the people of Great Britain and beyond I think it is a worthwhile venture for 3 days. And, after recently watching a documentary on the Royal Train how wonderful to see it back in action again.

Last edited:
The basic issue is how treacherous COVID is no matter what planning is done, it can still strike. And royals still are fighting an "unseen" enemy. Royals like George and Elizabeth would not have been able to walk in the streets among the people under these conditions. The royals should be honored to meet the frontline workers who are true heroes and heroines and be in awe of their bravery--I know I would.

Last edited:
When I compare the blatant defiance of covid protocols during Trump's political rallys in my own country, to what appears as a well oiled machine of covid protocol by the organizers and participants of William and Catherine's Thank you Tour, there are no comparisons. No comparison whatsoever! The benefits outweigh the risks! William and Catherine's mission is one of good will. As I watch video and view photos of their first 24 hours I'm feeling uplifted. The world is in a covid crisis. If they can bring just a bit of joy in a safe way to the people of Great Britain and beyond I think it is a worthwhile venture for 3 days. And, after recently watching a documentary on the Royal Train how wonderful to see it back in action again.

I agree! I really feel it’s necessary to allow people some happiness in a time where it seems that illness, death, grief, pain, will last forever. The world has been locked up for so long, life has been put on hold....can we just smile for a little bit ?

I think the truest happiness will only come when life is what it once was and people are once again free to travel and live their lives. This tour is fine, but not the same as going back to being able to freely move about and see relatives and so on.

The royals should be honored to meet the frontline workers who are true heroes and heroines and be in awe of their bravery--I know I would.
Yes I definitely agree with this statement and understand that this is exactly why the tour was organized in cooperation with the British Government and the NHS. This gives official representatives the incredible opportunity to "meet frontline workers who are the true heroes and heroines and be in awe of their bravery."

When I compare the blatant defiance of covid protocols during Trump's political rallys in my own country, to what appears as a well oiled machine of covid protocol by the organizers and participants of William and Catherine's Thank you Tour, there are no comparisons.
Good point and from viewing the photos and the videos from the tour today, it's clear that this trip is certainly nothing like a large scale political rally. The organizers are clearly following the protocols to ensure safety for all involved.

The Cambridges and participants following the indoor protocols with distancing and masks.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EopacfaXUAM7xNL?format=jpg&name=large

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if part of the reason for this tour was to remind people that this is a United Kingdom. Nicola Sturgeon has been busily telling people that Scotland would recover from the pandemic far more quickly if it was independent. Whatever anyone's personal views on Scottish independence - and I fully respect those who support it, which is their choice - surely it isn't appropriate for anyone to use a pandemic to push their own political party's agenda.

It's unfortunate that this argument has taken place in public, though.

The basic issue is how treacherous COVID is no matter what planning is done, it can still strike. And royals still are fighting an "unseen" enemy. Royals like George and Elizabeth would not have been able to walk in the streets among the people under these conditions.
Actually historic photos shows that royals like King George V and Queen Mary were out performing engagements under pandemic conditions. Here is a photo of TM accompanied by their daughter The Princess Royal and son Prince George (later the Duke of Kent) taken in 1918 when the Spanish Flu was raging throughout the globe. The Royal Family were visiting wounded soldiers at the Royal Naval Hospital.

https://www.shutterstock.com/editor...the-heroic-wounded-of-zeebrugge-1918-9820855a

Here is film footage of TM visiting Brighton hospital in Sept. 1918.
https://www.britishpathe.com/video/VLVA7MJRCI31LJRT96OG11X8MGO0-QUEEN-VISITS-BRIGHTON-HOSPITAL

George V did contract the Spanish Flu in May 1918 and survived.

Ironic that his great-grandson and great-great grandson have now both contracted a pandemic virus, survived and continued on with their respective in person royal duties.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom