Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 7: September 2016-September 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Prince William and The Duchess of Cambridge have officially opened the V&A Dundee museum.

William and Kate toured the new V&A before the Duchess gave a speech in her role as patron

Great to see the Cambridges again. I always love the interactions between Catherine and children - especially when the little girl couldn't resist temptation in touching her hair! :D

A young girl reached out and stroked the Duchess of Cambridge’s hair today, as she met well-wishers during a walkabout in Dundee with the Duke of Cambridge.

The 37-year-old royal saw the funny side though, joking with the girl before moving on to shake hands with other people in the crowd

Lovely to see the royal couple out in Dundee and with the people. I ❤️ the Cambridge’s!

Prince William and The Duchess of Cambridge have officially opened the V&A Dundee museum.

William and Kate toured the new V&A before the Duchess gave a speech in her role as patron

Catherine seems great in interaction but giving (i.e., reading) a speech isn't her greatest talent. She doesn't seem to articulate that clearly at times.

Catherine seems great in interaction but giving (i.e., reading) a speech isn't her greatest talent. She doesn't seem to articulate that clearly at times.

Everyone has a talent. Catherine has come a long ways with her her public speaking. I’m proud of her effort.

--

The Duke of Cambridge and The Duchess of Cambridge, Patron, Victoria and Albert Museum, this afternoon officially opened the Victoria and Albert Museum Dundee, 1 Riverside Esplanade, Dundee, and were received by Her Majesty’s Lord-Lieutenant of the City of Dundee (Councillor Ian Borthwick, the Lord Provost).*

Their Royal Highnesses later met employees of the Dundee Michelin tyre factory and their families, the Crescent Community Centre, 71 Lothian Crescent, Dundee, and subsequently attended a Meeting of the Michelin Dundee Action Group

- Court Circular || 29 January 2019

Last edited by a moderator:
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge visited workers from tyre firm Michelin during their visit to Scotland.

The royals won over the crowds of people waiting to see them arrive in Dundee.

Prince William praised those who working the develop the tyre factory site into something new for the community.

I agree. Yes, she's definitely made an improvement but she's not there yet. It almost seemed as if she were reading her speech for the first time.
But she does have a lovely voice.

Last edited:
I agree. Yes, she's definitely made an improvement but she's not there yet. It almost seemed as if she were reading her speech for the first time.
But she does have a lovely voice.
I think it would make a difference if she tried to speak without a sheet. If I were to make a presentation in college while reading from a sheet, I would fail! I had to practice without papers and present freely to the class. I made lots of mistakes at the first few times. But in the end, I improved so much on my speech abilities that I got full marks!

I know that without any form of papers it would be nerve wracking, but that will force Catherine to improve her speech skills and be more at ease in the long run. If she keeps speaking in public with a sheet, she'll never improve that much.

Last edited:
I think it would make a difference if she tried to speak without a sheet. If I were to make a presentation in college while reading from a sheet, I would fail! I had to practice without papers and present freely to the class. I made lots of mistakes at the first few times. But in the end, I improved so much on my speech abilities that I got full marks!

I know that without any form of papers it would be nerve wracking, but that will force Catherine to improve her speech skills and be more at ease in the long run. If she keeps speaking in public with a sheet, she'll never improve that much.
Yes, you're right. When I took a speech class we were only allowed to use a small note card. Princess Diana hired a speech coach. Maybe Catherine should do the same.

Last edited:
Coach would be a good idea. Giving speeches is going to be a big part of her life. She needs to get more comfortable with them, and stop reading them. She has made some progress but not as much as one would expect after 7 years, nearly 8, in the royal spotlight.

I haven't seen the video of Catherine speaking recently, but I'd be very surprised if the Royal Family DIDN'T hire a speech coach when she entered the Firm.

Some people are just not natural public speakers - even with a speech coach. I suspect Catherine isn't a natural public speaker. She does come across introverted and prefers smaller groups/audiences. She will engages far better with smaller, intimiate groups.

I am a natural public speaker, and I am one of those who will speak with pages of notes in front of me. I presented at a conference last year, with my speech transcribed. No one noticed that I was reading from it. When I asked for feedback from my supervisors, they were shocked that hadn't noticed. They said that I engaged the audience so well.

:previous: Its fine to have notes or script, if you can also make eye contact and engage people. Kate can't. She spends majority of her time looking down.

No, not everyone is going to be a natural speaker. But almost 8 years as a royal, if she has a speech coach she may need a better one. There should have been more progress. I hate talking in public, get sick to my stomach with the thought, but can still force myself to make a speech without looking down at my notes. I did debate in high school to get over stage fright, and that was one of the things we had to work on.

Theres really no great orators in the royal family but they don’t have to be. They’re not debating or getting grilled on Anderson Cooper.

I think Kate has become a vey good speaker. The Queen has been giving ‘speeches’ for decades and it’s the equivalent of watching paint dry but it gets the job done.

:previous: Yeah, I find most members of the BRF to be mediocre speakers. I usually have a hard time getting through any of their speeches.

:previous: Its fine to have notes or script, if you can also make eye contact and engage people. Kate can't. She spends majority of her time looking down.

No, not everyone is going to be a natural speaker. But almost 8 years as a royal, if she has a speech coach she may need a better one. There should have been more progress. I hate talking in public, get sick to my stomach with the thought, but can still force myself to make a speech without looking down at my notes. I did debate in high school to get over stage fright, and that was one of the things we had to work on.

Quite a few senior members of the BRF do this. I just watched a speech by the Queen and she spent the entire time looking down at her notes. She didn't look up once. That's something I've also noticed with Harry and William. They'll spend more time reading their notes and less time looking up and connecting with the audience - and they've been doing this a lot longer than Kate.

Kate may continue to get better, or she may not. Some people are just not good, or comfortable with public speaking...no matter how much they practice. Though I will say that she has at least improved from her first public speech.

Last edited:
As someone who is terrified of public speaking, I thoroughly empathize with Kate! She has a beautiful voice and at least she has the nerve to actually make speeches in public!:lol:
I am so grateful that I don't have to make speeches in public! Not all of us can be public speakers.

As someone who is terrified of public speaking, I thoroughly empathize with Kate! She has a beautiful voice and at least she has the nerve to actually make speeches in public![emoji38]
I am so grateful that I don't have to make speeches in public! Not all of us can be public speakers.
Same here!!!
I couldn't imagine having to make speeches in front of such worldwide scrutiny.

That said, practice does not make perfect, but does improve onself. Which is why I am now preparing to hold a lecture in front of quite a lot of fellow-archaeologist during a international seminar.
Yes, I know, I am crazy!! And yes, I will need to write down my whole 30 min. lecture in order to be able to tell them my name. [emoji21] [emoji21] [emoji21]

I'm not sure why Catherine should be held to a higher standard than any of the other members of the royal family, including her husband. None of the BRF are scintillating speakers: "workmanlike" and "pedestrian" are the words that come to mind. It's a good thing that their speeches tend to be short, because there is certainly nothing in the delivery by any of them that would keep an audience engaged (or possibly, awake) so making their point and moving on is a good thing.

I think Catherine has improved a lot over the years, and if she needs to read her speeches I don't see that as a big deal, any more than the Queen reading hers is a big deal. Catherine doesn't need to attain professional level delivery to be doing a good enough job.

I'm not sure why Catherine should be held to a higher standard than any of the other members of the royal family, including her husband.

Who said she should be? There's a difference between reading a speech flawlessly (the Queen) versus stumbling over a word as you turn the page to see what it is (Catherine). It's just something she needs to work on. She'll get there, eventually.

I'm not sure why Catherine should be held to a higher standard than any of the other members of the royal family, including her husband. None of the BRF are scintillating speakers: "workmanlike" and "pedestrian" are the words that come to mind. It's a good thing that their speeches tend to be short, because there is certainly nothing in the delivery by any of them that would keep an audience engaged (or possibly, awake) so making their point and moving on is a good thing.

I think Catherine has improved a lot over the years, and if she needs to read her speeches I don't see that as a big deal, any more than the Queen reading hers is a big deal. Catherine doesn't need to attain professional level delivery to be doing a good enough job.

I think Prince Charles is a good speaker. He often either speaks extempore, or from a few notes, but the words are always his won.

I know Catherine's delivery was not great and she made a few mistakes, but that is all part of the learning process. She has come a long way from when she spoke at EACH in 2011 or 2012. Even more experienced royals like Queen Margarethe in Denmark are not the best speakers, her delivery is not always great, and even when she is reading, she often makes quite a lot of mistakes.

Who said she should be? There's a difference between reading a speech flawlessly (the Queen) versus stumbling over a word as you turn the page to see what it is (Catherine). It's just something she needs to work on. She'll get there, eventually.

There have been several comments on this thread stating that she should be doing a better job. My point is that she seems to be doing as well as a majority of the BRF, and that there has been improvement over the years. No doubt she'll continue to improve, but if she doesn't she'll fit right in with the rest of the family.

I think Prince Charles is a good speaker. He often either speaks extempore, or from a few notes, but the words are always his won.

I know Catherine's delivery was not great and she made a few mistakes, but that is all part of the learning process. She has come a long way from when she spoke at EACH in 2011 or 2012. Even more experienced royals like Queen Margarethe in Denmark are not the best speakers, her delivery is not always great, and even when she is reading, she often makes quite a lot of mistakes.

Yes, Prince Charles is on the better end of the scale, but he's also had many years to get his delivery down. Perhaps that early theatre experience helped him out!

Of course, she doesn't need to be better than the other members of the royal family, no one implied that. People were just giving their opinion on Catherine speech ability. I just gave "an advice" to improve her speech skills, that is, to start speaking in front of the public without a script.

I've seen many people deliver great speeches with scripts. They read but they also looked at the audience, engage with them and never get words wrong. Catherine is not a natural public speaker, but she can improve. Even with a script in front of her eyes, she made mistakes. She doesn't articulate that well. She needs to practice more often and a speech coach to help her on that.

That's why I said to forget a script reading. Maybe, if she spoke freely for everyone, she'll be able to articulate well without making reading mistakes.

But she improved from her first speeches. But it's my opinion that she didn't improve that much. A little yes, but not much. She'll get there eventually.

Of course, she doesn't need to be better than the other members of the royal family, no one implied that. People were just giving their opinion on Catherine speech ability. I just gave "an advice" to improve her speech skills, that is, to start speaking in front of the public without a script.

I've seen many people deliver great speeches with scripts. They read but they also looked at the audience, engage with them and never get words wrong. Catherine is not a natural public speaker, but she can improve. Even with a script in front of her eyes, she made mistakes. She doesn't articulate that well. She needs to practice more often and a speech coach to help her on that.

That's why I said to forget a script reading. Maybe, if she spoke freely for everyone, she'll be able to articulate well without making reading mistakes.

But she improved from her first speeches. But it's my opinion that she didn't improve that much. A little yes, but not much. She'll get there eventually.
I agree completely. Diana wasn't very good at giving speeches at first. She was nervous, shy, and lacked confidence. But eventually she worked with a speech coach who did wonders for her She spoke clearly and with confidence. Yes, she glanced down at her notes but she didn't stumble over her words now & then, as Catherine still does. That's why I think Catherine would benefit from a speech coach, if she hasn't already hired one. Just follow her mother-in-law's example.

There have been several comments on this thread stating that she should be doing a better job. My point is that she seems to be doing as well as a majority of the BRF, and that there has been improvement over the years. No doubt she'll continue to improve, but if she doesn't she'll fit right in with the rest of the family.

I made my initial comment that triggered this conversation mainly because Catherine was stumbling over words several times and in addition she wasn't clearly pronouncing other words and phrases. I don't expect her to be perfect but I do think William does a better job for example. His speeches -while also read- come across more clearly and therefore convincing.

But I agree the good thing is that she has improved somewhat over the years. I hope that will give her confidence. Hopefully she will indeed continue improving as there is still a lot of room for improvement and sometimes skills detoriate because less attention is paid when someone thinks they more or less mastered a skill.

I made my initial comment that triggered this conversation mainly because Catherine was stumbling over words several times and in addition she wasn't clearly pronouncing other words and phrases. I don't expect her to be perfect but I do think William does a better job for example. His speeches -while also read- come across more clearly and therefore convincing.

To be fair, William has been giving speeches since his teens, so I’d expect him to be better at it. But I do agree that she could get better with her pronunciation.

I think the reason she stumbles over her words is because she’s reading too quickly. If she slowed down a little bit, it would probably help with the stumbling and the pronunciation. I notice this with Harry too. He reads his notes so quickly that he ends up stumbling (and mumbling) through his speeches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom