The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 08:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
...I think the problem with William's attitude is that he seems to be focusing on things that he can't do in the long run, while neglecting the duties he's going to have to do in his future.
I agree - like most people there are LIMITS to what we can all do, and it's frustrating. We learn to live within them and change what we can. Will would be much better off seeing the glass half full rather than half empty. His father certainly seems to be a man satisfied with is lot in life, and his life certainly had his ups and downs.

If he's in a funk a day or two a week of hard physical work - such a lifting sandbags would do him no end of good - helps to work out the cobwebs. As people say, there's PLENTY of environmental/conservation issues in Britain he can focus on.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:11 AM
Heir Apparent

I dont' like to be called "ingnorant" just because I've said my opinion! It seems like royal can't receive criticism at all and everything they do is just right! They are not gods or saints and if I think that their behaviour is wrong and this vacation in inappropriate and I disagree with posts that are always defending them for whatever reason I'm free to tell! Without been attacked!

Old 03-08-2014, 09:36 AM
Heir Apparent

General News and Information for the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

The Kiwis maybe beat the Aussies for George's first engagement. There is a baby parent group Plunket meeting that W&K and possibly G in Wellington at Govt House scheduled to attend early on in the NZ portion of the tour.

William and Kate are having tea with the NT govt guy. Maybe George the croc can come too since he is still small. :) The zoo in Sydney looks awesome. I love a good zoo. Hopefully George will get to spend his Easter afternoon there.

PS- For the UK posters complaining about the security cost for WK, Mrs Obama, the 2 girls and her Mom went to China on holiday. I spent a week in London paying VATs in 2012. Can some of you come to the US this year? There is a new Harry Potter World Section opening in the summer at Universal Studios in Orlando and the american taxpayers may have to pay to fly Bo and Sunny, the Obama dogs to Martha's vineyards for vacation again so every little bit will help :)
Old 03-08-2014, 11:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Have they been called names? Has their intelligence been questioned, their integrity? I don't post much in the Cambridge threads but I browse frequently. I haven't seen it.
Moonmaiden - I apologize for the name calling (notice - labeled the behavior, not the people involved). Those little ! buttons in the upper right corner of posts can be used to notify Mods of unacceptable behavior. Use them. They work.
Lets quit name calling and get back on topic.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Getting back on topic, when are the first pap photos of the Duke and Duchess on romantic holiday coming out? Any word.. perhaps Twitter will let us know.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:57 PM
Heir Apparent

I thought the pictures of Kate debarking the plane with George at Mustique signaled a new openness to the press and so I'm hoping we might get photos from this trip. But then again, George didn't go with them so maybe not.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
I thought the pictures of Kate debarking the plane with George at Mustique signaled a new openness to the press and so I'm hoping we might get photos from this trip. But then again, George didn't go with them so maybe not.
No they didn't. They did not complain about pix taken in a public place. If paps attempt to invade their private space on holiday, then that would be different. They are just going to select which battles to fight.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 03-08-2014, 02:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Well, that's why I said thought, hope and maybe. One can always speculate about their actions, or inactions. They may surprise all of us yet one of these days; nothing is written in stone.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:02 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
You bring up an interesting point here.

I think what Charles and the DoE, as well as other royals, eventually realized is that as much as their position limits them career-wise, it also gives them this amazing ability to explore so many more different things that interest them than most people are. William just needs to figure that out for himself.
Yes, Charles and the DoE EVENTUALLY figured this out. Now that both men have decades of relative stability and undeniable good work behind them I think most people forget how adrift they both were earlier on in their lives. Charles' problems are more well known, but everything I've read on the early married life of QEII and the DoE indicates that he also seriously struggled with his role and finding a place for himself in the royal machine, especially after he needed to leave the navy. Like William, Philip loved the military and could have made a very good life for himself there, but it wasn't an option. After the end of his military career, Philip had a several year period of bumps in the road before eventually settling in to royal life and making a place for himself. He tried to take on various projects and was met with resistance by courtiers. He sometimes overstepped his bounds and irritated even his own family, including The Queen. He was criticized for his partying and appearances at "fast" nightclubs with people of less than sterling reputation. Eventually he settled in to royal life and figured out that, yes, he had a great opportunity to pursue some of his interests in ways that would also fit in with his royal career - such as The DoE Awards scheme. But that didn't happen instantaneously.

I think William is now in a similar situation in that he's a young, capable man who's coming to realize he's not going to get his first choice, (or even his second), in his professional life. IMO, there's every indication over the last year that he's accepting this and is making inroads in various other areas, at least some of which will become lifelong endeavours.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:03 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Royals jet off into a storm of protest as they leave George at home during Maldives getaway | Mail Online
Old 03-09-2014, 07:31 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Martin ‏@MartinRoyalUK 4m
The Cambridges definitely need to up their game post NZ-AUS - popularity is all very well but it could so quickly change if they don’t!
Old 03-09-2014, 08:40 AM
Aristocracy

My opinion is that this is the first warm vacation and the first without their son since she was pregnant with him...so I say go and enjoy yourself...I think they have it right you are also a couple and should be allowed to have that time without feeling guilty.

Second, Phil Dampier on twitter made a good point..don't blow this out proportion..the queen left charles for six months...and I don't care if its for royal duties..that's not ok...I think the only legit excuse to leave your kid for 6 months is if your a soldier in the army.

And I highly doubt at the end of the day they care what people think of their vacation...some people on the internet just want an excuse to bitch and moan. People are making a bigger deal of it than it actually is...because you may see people complaining but, there are alot of people who don't care they went on vacation and think its appropriate that they went without George.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:59 AM
Imperial Majesty

Prince George to debut with Kiwi coffee group-
Prince George to debut with Kiwi coffee group - Life & Style - NZ Herald News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Martin ‏@MartinRoyalUK 4m
The Cambridges definitely need to up their game post NZ-AUS - popularity is all very well but it could so quickly change if they don’t!
There will be no need to worry about that. The people of Australia and New Zealand will go crazy once the Cambridge's arrive.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-09-2014, 11:25 AM
Heir Apparent

The Queen before she was Queen left Charles as a baby a lot not for royal duties but to be a naval wife to Philip when he was in Malta. Prince George wasn't dumped outside the gates of KP with a sign saying " We will be back in a week". He being taken care by his grandparents and the new nanny. It is not like the olden days where the child is given to the nanny and its parents spend a hour with it.

I full expect that the Cambridges have plenty of engagements lined up post tour and once the tour starts it will be forgotten. It is a relatively slow royal news time so people are making it a big deal. The DM runs a story quoting Internet posters. It is like the criticism they get for going to Mustique for Carole's birthday. Would people bitch if they went there for Mike's which is June 23? Probably not because there are a lot of royals events in June while the opposite is true in January.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:05 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
There will be no need to worry about that. The people of Australia and New Zealand will go crazy once the Cambridge's arrive.
Thats why they are taking him on the tour and leave him at home when heading for the Maldives
Old 03-09-2014, 12:25 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Thats why they are taking him on the tour and leave him at home when heading for the Maldives
My best guess is still that they want to acclimate George to them being away from him for extended periods of time. From experience, as a newborn, the parents are the inner circle of a child's world and it does take a bit of planning to get the little one used to not having mommy or daddy at beck and call. The age George is now is about right to start expanding his trusted inner circle to include gramma and grampa and and uncles and aunts more. One of my kids went ballistic for a while if anyone other than his grandmother or his parents even tried to hold him and it took a while to get him to totally accept other people as caretakers.

It also gives William and Kate some quality alone time with just the two of them and nothing else to focus on other than being together. It might seem that when they're at home that they've got oodles of time to be together but there's a new family member now demanding attention, lots of adjustments to make and plan for as far as their future and demands on their individual time. This week away will let them be refreshed and ready for the big tour coming up.

That's my 2 cents worth.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 03-09-2014, 12:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Look at if they didn't leave him. Kate has been only away from George for a few hours at the most. Now you are putting him on a plane flying 25 hours to far side of the world. Putting him a strange place and his parents leaving him for most of the day.

Why not let him get use to his parents not being there 24/7 and the new nanny in a familiar place.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:51 PM
Serene Highness

One thing is certain W&K will miss their baby George very much. Much more than they expected probably. I think it will be harder on W&K than on the baby, who will be surrounded by doting family.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Kate could also be using the time away to do a final weaning from George if she has been gradually reducing his nursing time.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:17 AM
Courtier

"Hello" Magazine Has W & C On Cover In Maldives...

..., but like last week's cover of the Duchess in front of Sydney's Opera House, not an actual photo.

"World Exclusive" according to cover.

Don't know why they put a photo of William on the beach, but wearing a suit.

(Perhaps the lack of a tie is all it takes to look like you're on holiday .)

I love "Hello" - I should buy it sometime.

Cheers, Sun Lion.

P.S. I've seen some reports saying the Duchess's parents have joined W and C - and little PG has been spotted back in London with his new nanny.

Closed Thread

Tags
the duchess of cambridge, the duke of cambridge