The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 01:44 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden View Post
Just a quick question if I may. It has been pointed out that Will and Kate are not full time royals on numerous occasions. So can you please tell me that at 30ish what are they 'full time' at?

Simple answer - nothing.

Kate has never been full-time at anything other than shopping while William did some time in the RAF.

They are the best advertisement for the republicans I have seen in a long time.

Old 03-07-2014, 02:23 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post

My personal view about this trip to the Maldives is that William and Kate have been packed off there for a week together without distractions in the hope that they will spend enough time together to enable the spare to be created before they separate for good.
Except they've taken vacations to far away sunny places for quite a few years now, so I see this as fairly normal for them. They did Christmas with his family, she spent a week w/ her family, he spent 4 days w/ his brother and now they are off on vacation together. I doubt they will be 'trying' for baby 2 on this get away as Catherine had such a bad first trimester last year and she has a higher chance of a recurrence of the problem, thus they won't want her to be in her first trimester on the tour, hard to dash off to throw up while attending all those events. I'm betting they'll wait until after the tour w/ an August or September announcement.
I'm not seeing signs of imminent separation from these two - they were just out w/ friends a couple of nights ago, but I'll be watching the upcoming tour to see if I can spot any signs:)
I sometimes think Charles is a primary driver of how much these two and Harry do and don't take on. I suspect the issues created in his own life by his dedication to duty has caused him to want to protect his children from the mistakes made with (and by) him.

Old 03-07-2014, 02:27 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela View Post
They've got to build up their strength before going on tour next mont. Those 3 engagements she's done this year will have taken a lot out of her. I mean, let them do what they want just don't complain when people call Kate in particular lazy.
I am speechless. 3 engagements and Kate needs a holiday to catch up? Its must be really hard, this royal life.
I wonder what their working subjects think of this, especially new mums who put their kid into nursery after 3 months to get back to work full time.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
I'm not seeing signs of imminent separation from these two - they were just out w/ friends a couple of nights ago, but I'll be watching the upcoming tour to see if I can spot any signs:)
I'll be watching the tour very closely to see how they interact. It has been my observation in respect of events over the last couple of years that each of them appears happier at events they attend alone, and that Kate appears far more confident when William is not around. When they are together he seems to neglect her and not provide the sort of support and encouragement I would expect.

Actually I must take issue with one thing Iluvbertie said. I do not agree that Kate is a waste of space. She enabled William to achieve one of his most important duties, i.e. producing an heir.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:40 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Kate Middleton and Prince William jet off without George for 'second honeymoon' | Mail Online
Old 03-07-2014, 02:43 AM
Majesty

As cynical as it sounds, I think the Cambridges know full well that any bad publicity generated by their latest holiday in the sun will evaporate soon with the warm fuzzies that will be generated when they take the baby on tour with them Down Under.

It's probably why they felt confident enough to do this(vacation) in the first place...after the first set of photos with the baby practically no one will remember or care.

It's really brilliant strategy, I have to admit.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:50 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
...I just still think there's a balance for these two that's nearly impossible. They have to be good at their jobs while never overshadowing the Queen or Prince Charles and that's not an easy balance to strike. I think that's actually the biggest reason their press exposure is so limited.
I completely agree HRH Hermione that with the Queen, and then Prince Charles to follow, the Cambridges are in Royal terms, down the totem pole.

But of course, they're young, attractive, have a new baby and the media focus on what sells.

They are presented as "a bigger deal" to the world than they would have been when Royalty stayed behind Palace doors, and we didn't even see their weddings, let alone their private comings and goings.

"Not an easy balace" to be sure.

And with the lessons learnt from the turbulent years of the previous decades, when it all went from a fairytale to a soap opera in the private lives of many Royal family members - and worse for us all knowing about it - a constant juggling act to get it "right".

The Duke and Duchess will be subjected to much comment and criticism because - I think - we are in transition in many aspects of society, and those directing things will need to be very savvy to protect what is still a valuable pillar of society.

So easy for respect to be lost, and so hard for it to be retained or regained.

Best Wishes, Sun Lion.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:05 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Lion View Post
I completely agree HRH Hermione that with the Queen, and then Prince Charles to follow, the Cambridges are in Royal terms, down the totem pole...
Not to mention the fact that there is no real precedence for the position they are in. They are not the next couple in line. Honestly, I think they have a harder role to fill because there is no need for them to work in the family. So far as we know William intends to step up in number engagements as he already has since leaving the military last fall. Kate obviously intends to focus more on George. I don't think she will really increase how much she does too terribly much as I least I wouldn't expect her to.

About not taking George, he is not deprived nor too young for his parents to take a trip as a couple. I actually think it's great they are going, just the two of them. Their marriage is just as important as George. Every couple needs time alone. There is no evidence they are any less of parents or any less hands-on.

On another note, William is taking his class so I'm guessing the class is over. When did the class start? Unless he is able to take time off since he was also able to go hunting with his brother over a weekend.

Also most of you are overreacting. Kate has been on one vacation with her family which is an annual trip so no surprise. William went FOR A WEEKEND with his brother and some friends hunting. Now they are spending time together as I'm sure they haven't had much time together lately. I'm sure this was planning a long time ago hence no engagements so far in March. Plus we don't know what else they've been working on away from the spotlight.

It's not that complicated or big of a deal. Most of the posters complaining always complain about William and Kate so it's not surprising.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:09 AM
Majesty

Ahhh....thanks. But that won't be happening Roslyn. I'm not supporting these two with my tax dollars but I'd be annoyed as hell if I was. I don't think they are as awful as some of their critics make them out to be, but I do find them extremely overrated.

I'm on your side here.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:18 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Classes started in the beginning of January and will finish later this month. According to Richard Palmer, William doesn't have any lectures next week. So he's free to go on vacation without worrying about missing anything.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:34 AM
Imperial Majesty

People may be bent out of shape over this little getaway but once the couple get back, perform some official engagements and the tour kick off, they'll get over it.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-07-2014, 04:52 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
People may be bent out of shape over this little getaway but once the couple get back, perform some official engagements and the tour kick off, they'll get over it.
And there lies my issues, as soon as they actually do their jobs, for a few weeks at a time, people forget how lazy they actually are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela View Post
They've got to build up their strength before going on tour next mont. Those 3 engagements she's done this year will have taken a lot out of her. I mean, let them do what they want just don't complain when people call Kate in particular lazy.
Can you lend me your rose-tinted glasses please? Or is your entire post sarcasm?
Old 03-07-2014, 05:15 AM
Royal Highness

This was probably planned in advance as William did not have any lectures planned for the week.

It still looks bad, especially not taking George.

It makes no sense to go on vacation without George & then insist on taking him with to Australia & New Zealand.

The Australia & New Zealand trip could have been shorter. No need for the PR stunt with George in Australia/New Zealand.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:19 AM
Imperial Majesty

I don't think William & Catherine are lazy but I also think they could be doing more and I'm hoping we'll be seeing even more of their official roles.

I honestly think people just calm down about this little trip for the couple. I think this trip counts as their first vacation of 2014. If they took a trip every two weeks, I would understand the harsh criticism.

I also think people are just going to have to get used to the idea of this couple taking a vacation during this time of the year because they will likely start taking annual family vacations. They may want to take George skiing or something. William's parents did the samething when he and Harry was children. They often went skiing, vacationed with the Spanish and Greek royals.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-07-2014, 06:20 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't think William is lazy at all and he is well aware of the responsiblities he has and will eventually incur ... Kate is another story IMO 3 engagements not that many I agree and a holiday is not a crime but I beleive she needs to step up more now and they are only in Australia and New Zealand for a few weeks, so I think it is not too much to expect that she work on more and more often.... lazzy I cannot say but perception is everything IMO.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:04 AM
Heir Apparent

Dear Daily Mail, the RPOs would be with William, Kate and George no matter where they are whether it is the Maldives, Mike and Carole's house or KP. You just made their lives more difficult since you told all the crazies where the royals exactly are staying.

Kate until now has spent everyday with George since he was born. George can get used to the new nanny in the familiar comforts of the Middleton house with Grandpa Mike,Grandma Carole and dog brother Lupo nearby. While mummy and daddy can be big Willy and Babykins for a week
Old 03-07-2014, 09:16 AM
Heir Apparent

It appears to be true that George was left at home with Carole... I think it's a kind of second honeymoon... Anyway, Wasn't William supposed to be attending the famous 10-week course? It started the 7th of January...MMM
Old 03-07-2014, 09:24 AM
Heir Apparent

According the Express's Richard Palmer, William doesn't have any lectures for his Cambridge course this week which is why he could go and do the investiture for the Queen earlier in the week.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:29 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I can accept holidays, spending their money etc if they actually did any work when they got home. You can come up with all the excuses you like, they're a waste frankly.
He is at University, she is on maternity leave. What is the problem with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
They certainly can't claim they're a normal family anymore.
Did they ever claim they were a normal family? Did they ever claim they will not have staff? This is the stuff that keeps getting repeated in the press and on the blogs, and has picked up a life of its own.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:45 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
It appears to be true that George was left at home with Carole... I think it's a kind of second honeymoon... Anyway, Wasn't William supposed to be attending the famous 10-week course? It started the 7th of January...MMM
After 3 years a second honeymoon, wow.

The impression they give on the ordinary folk is desastrous. But thank god there is George, who will of course be taken on the tour because he completes some nice photo ops to erase the image of arrogant & lazy.

Closed Thread

Tags
the duchess of cambridge, the duke of cambridge