The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 03:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for the info. I am especially excited to see the Duchess with little Leo. She is so magical with children. And based on past experience, I bet the Duke gets in on the action with little Leo too.
I sense a new member of the William and Kate fan for life club.

Old 07-16-2015, 05:47 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
Thanks for the info. I am especially excited to see the Duchess with little Leo. She is so magical with children. And based on past experience, I bet the Duke gets in on the action with little Leo too.

I sense a new member of the William and Kate fan for life club.
How exciting! The little boy is probably beyond thrilled. Can't wait to see the pictures and videos.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:27 PM
Heir Apparent

I wonder- will Kate be criticized for taking time off maternity leave- to watch sailing like she was for watching tennis? Or is it acceptable? And heaven help us if she doesn't wear jewels. The woman cannot win.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I wonder- will Kate be criticized for taking time off maternity leave- like she was for watching tennis? Or is it acceptable? And heaven help us if she doesn't wear jewels. The woman cannot win.
No, I really don't think so because this engagement is about royal duties and supporting her patronage for the 1851 Trust.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 07-17-2015, 01:43 PM
Heir Apparent

That's what I figure too. But some might criticize her - I don't know why they would- that watching sailing is not working, and why would she choose that over other things.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:49 PM
Royal Highness

I've already read complaints (on pro-Kate blogs none the less) that this is just her cherry picking another fun sport event and that this charity isn't a "real charity".
Old 07-17-2015, 01:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

There shouldn't be any complaints. Catherine is getting ready to return to her official duties.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 07-17-2015, 02:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
I've already read complaints (on pro-Kate blogs none the less) that this is just her cherry picking another fun sport event and that this charity isn't a "real charity".
Not surprising, but I don't understand it. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion of course, but I dislike such harsh narrow minded critical attitudes/ viewpoints and unfair un constructive undeserved criticism. Criticism with no purpose except to criticize. Criticism just to be nasty. People feel so entitled. Like she owes them something. We owe her gratitude.
If that's the biggest thing you can find to complain about in the world...
Old 07-17-2015, 02:33 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
and if she didn't show up it would be... 'why cant she show up and support her own charity?'
Old 07-17-2015, 02:40 PM
Courtier

These future hypothetical events/lack of attendance/potential criticisms aren't exactly "current events"
Old 07-17-2015, 02:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
No, I really don't think so because this engagement is about royal duties and supporting her patronage for the 1851 Trust.
And likely this engagement has been on her calendar since the first day she accepted the 1851 Trust as a new patronage about a year ago. Those who have organized the event would have chosen the date far in advance to take advantage of the likely sailing conditions and allow time to prepare for an event on this scale.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleQ2 View Post
and if she didn't show up it would be... 'why cant she show up and support her own charity?'
Sadly, your'e correct. The woman cannot win. Can you imagine if she went to this on a day when one of her children's charities was having a big function they invited her to, and she went to this sailing thing instead? Then I could see the issue. She wouldn't do that though.
Although I suspect that there would be bigger griping if she didn't show up for a cause like AOA, EACH, TAR, or P2B. That's seen as " work " and " charity". Sailing is not. I disagree. I think this is work. As opposed to Wimbledon. But even then, I couldn't understand the griping. It's not like all she does all the time is go to sporting events, and neglect her duties, or not have causes. Total opposite. So if she wants to go to a tennis game, who cares?
Now do I wish that Catherine could devote herself to children and health charities? Sure. She's magical with them, and I get why people want to see her at these types of events. Photos of Catherine cuddling children make my day, and as a handicapped person myself I have an idea what it means to those children- what a difference it makes. It's obvious.But I understand that the BRF have to promote a spectrum of things. So if Catherine wants to promote sailing, good for her. She hasn't done anybody wrong, or been neglectful of her other causes. She does her duty in her role, and fulfills her obligations. Sadly, she can never win.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:29 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Sadly, your'e correct. The woman cannot win. Can you imagine if she went to this on a day when one of her children's charities was having a big function they invited her to, and she went to this sailing thing instead? Then I could see the issue. She wouldn't do that though.
This statement brings up an interesting observation for me. To assure that things don't get into a whirlwind of chaos between all the charities and patronages that the royals support, their engagement calendars are scheduled far in advance of the date. I'd bet my last cheese curl that when Kate became pregnant with Charlotte, there were engagements penciled in around her delivery date that had to be canceled or put off to another date.

Life does happen but its very rare that we see Kate (or any royal for that matter) "call in sick" for an engagement unless its a severe illness or something dire that's happened.

Its kind of amusing to think that these royals do all this extensive work for their charities and patronages without pay and really can't call in sick and even face public criticism for what they do or don't do. I don't think there's many of us out there that would willingly face that kettle of fish.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 07-17-2015, 03:41 PM
Heir Apparent

The engagement in Portsmouth is a major international sailing event in support of the 1851 Trust. Catherine is Royal Patron of the trust.

Anyone criticising her for this will criticise her no matter what the engagement.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:46 PM
Heir Apparent

I know I wouldn't . Not that I wouldn't. I would love to be able to make the difference that William and Kate do. I couldn't . One reason I admire them so. Amusing and sad.
I agree about the schedule. Events are planned far out. I would imagine the royal doesn't schedule an appearance for the charity- the charity moves it's schedule around for the royal.
Old 07-17-2015, 05:11 PM
Majesty

All the criticism that Catherine receives, regardless of what the reason is, makes me think of a line from that (in my opinion) annoying song by Taylor Swift 'the haters are gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate'. It's the only way to sum it up. The woman cannot win, but I think she realizes that, and does what works for her, her charities, and the Royal Family. The opinions of the complainers probably don't even enter her mind, which probably riles them up even more.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:51 PM
Heir Apparent

And makes me admire her even more. I am so glad she's a member of the BRF.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:32 PM
Majesty

Quote:
And makes me admire her even more. I am so glad she's a member of the BRF.
I'm with you. I've been working very hard on not caring what others think, because let's face it, I'm not chocolate, and can't please everyone, but I've had no success yet. I'd love to have her level of confidence, or at least the ability to come across as if I do. She's an asset, and has the right personality for this job.

Old 07-20-2015, 06:03 PM
Heir Apparent

And I'm especially happy that she's like the way she is- for the sake of the children- hers- and those she meets. It would be horrible if she lacked the confidence to be her magical self with them.
I used to be where you are- and to some extent still am- it's good to care what others think- for example you and I- friends care what friends think, but it's not good if you overdo it.
I admire Catherine for her people skills and her confidence.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:13 PM
Majesty

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 6: January 2014

Oh, absolutely! The woman has social skills and confidence that would make my grad school advisor salivate, and demand that the woman pass those on to me, and one of the other students in the program who had self-confidence issues. One of my TAs used to tell me that I need to channel my 'inner Kate' whenever I had to deal with our principal. I could never do it, but boy, do I wish that I could. The children are drawn to her, and so is the rest of the public. As to caring what others think, yes, I care what my friends think. Just need to cut down on people who want to be nasty for no reason. And we can't forget William's people skills either. I tell you, those two would have done wonders for a lot of my students...

Closed Thread

Tags
the duchess of cambridge, the duke of cambridge