The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

The remark came from one of the kids at the charity Excel Project.

Quote:
The Duke and Duchess’s visit to the bus, where they talked to a group who had been helped by XLP, sparked a furious political debate.

While most of the youngsters said afterwards the couple had been understanding and down to earth, one 17-year-old, who called himself Hero, interjected angrily: 'They had no clue where we were coming from. I don’t think they could relate to anything we said.

'They are just keeping up appearances. They wanted to make it look like they related. We are paying our taxes – we pay for them to live where they live.'

However his fury soon abated. Asked what he thought how the couple came across, he said: 'Other than that, they were very considerate. They genuinely cared about what we said.'
Hearing some of the stories about how these kids grew up, one can understand why he didn't think they could relate to him. It seems his anger was less about William and Kate and more about the disparity between the rich and the poor.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Video from today

Old 03-27-2015, 08:47 PM
Imperial Majesty

Videos:
Kate and William attended a concert by XLP - the youth mentoring community centre and charity. The royals joined in a sing along with one of the bands and were presented with gift bags including t shirts and mugs as well as two tiny t.shirts for their royal toddler and impending new royal baby, which stated 'i refuse to believe this is a lost generation'. On their way out of the building Kate was presented with many flowers, including one from a well-dressed young boy in hat and waistcoat-

Home - ITNSource News

With her last engagement before the birth to her second child the Duchess of Cambridge along with her husband Prince William visited an XLP community bus and the XLP mobile recording studio on the Hazel Grove Estate, Sydenham, South East London-
Home - ITNSource News

Caro Swan @CaroSwannie · 5h 5 hours ago
Honoured to be invited to photograph for @xlplondon and get up-close-and-personal with this lovely pair #xlproyals
https://twitter.com/CaroSwannie/stat...32292092399616

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-27-2015, 09:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Today was a significant day for the urban youth charity XLP as they proudly welcomed the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge for the first time to visit some of their mentoring and community outreach projects based on inner city estates in London. The three hours they spent with XLP saw them visit the church in Gipsy Hill where the charity first started. They then went on to visit XLP’s stripped out and refurbished former double decker bus in Sydenham, which reaches out to young people in the area who are facing some serious challenges in their lives, including gang culture, family breakdown and addiction.

The Duke & Duchess immediately put everyone at ease through their genuine interest and even enjoying a joke with the young people – many of whom were very nervous meeting royalty for the first time. The young people shared their own powerful, personal stories of overcoming incredibly tough situations. Including Nadine who is one of 16 children and experienced family breakdown. She was made homeless at the age of 16, living rough on the streets for 2.5 years. XLP s help and mentoring of Nadine means she now has a home, a job and a real hope for the future.
More: The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge visit XLP | XLP
Old 03-30-2015, 09:05 PM
Majesty

Here are some gifs of their last event:

The Crown Outfitsâ™”

The Crown Outfitsâ™”
Old 04-03-2015, 07:04 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
RKD @RoyalKateDebate · 50m 50 minutes ago
Apparently the Royal Variety Performance starts at 7 tonight. It will not be shown on TV until December.

RKD @RoyalKateDebate · 4h 4 hours ago
Will and Kate are at the Royal Variety Performance tonight and acc to @CamillaTominey we might get the details on the NYC trip too! ������

It's very good that they will be attending this evening event for the first time.

This was broadcast on our taxpayer-funded channel, ABC, yesterday afternoon - Good Friday - which was great, no ad breaks.

I've never seen the Duke and Duchess laugh their heads off so much.

(If you missed it Oz members, maybe it is now up on iView or Catch-Up TV.)
Old 07-02-2015, 09:04 AM
Imperial Majesty

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 2m2 minutes ago City of London, London
Kensington Palace has now announced that William and Kate will go to Wimbledon next Wednesday to watch the quarterfinals on Centre Court.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 07-02-2015, 12:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Well... i would have been surprised if they didn't turn up at Wibledon... pity Kate isn't going to the flypast...sigh
Old 07-02-2015, 12:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
Well... i would have been surprised if they didn't turn up at Wibledon... pity Kate isn't going to the flypast...sigh
It is indeed a pity that she won't be attending. If she was attending another engagement on that day, then it would be understandable.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 07-02-2015, 12:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
It is indeed a pity that she won't be attending. If she was attending another engagement on that day, then it would be understandable.
It wouldn't even be noticed if she weren't listed to attend Wimbledon as well: wrong perception on all fronts...
Old 07-02-2015, 01:41 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
It wouldn't even be noticed if she weren't listed to attend Wimbledon as well: wrong perception on all fronts...
I know, it just seem odd for KP to announce that she will be attending a Wimbledon match, but not the Battle of Britain Anniversary events with the rest of the royal family two days later. If she can attend the match on Wednesday, she could also attend the event on Friday. I just wish palace officials would stop handling Catherine with kid gloves sometimes. She's totally capable of handling official engagements now and be a present mother.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 07-02-2015, 02:03 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I know, it just seem odd for KP to announce that she will be attending a Wimbledon match, but not the Battle of Britain Anniversary events with the rest of the royal family two days later. If she can attend the match on Wednesday, she could also attend the event on Friday. I just wish palace officials would stop handling Catherine with kid gloves sometimes. She's totally capable of handling official engagements now and be a present mother.
I don't think they're handling her with kid gloves, she's just still on maternity leave. Charlotte's only two months old - most "regular" mothers are still on maternity leave at that point, and there's no need for Kate to hop back into things.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:13 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
I don't think they're handling her with kid gloves, she's just still on maternity leave. Charlotte's only two months old - most "regular" mothers are still on maternity leave at that point, and there's no need for Kate to hop back into things.
Excellent point! We don't criticize other mothers who have a date with their husband or enjoy a social outing while they are on maternity leave.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:15 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Yeah, I understand that she's on maternity leave. It's just off and odd for the palace to announce that she'll be attending a Wimbledon match, but can't make it to the Battle of Britain event two days later. No one is saying that she should go on to do a ton of engagements right away.

I'm a huge supporter of the Cambridge's and totally understand that she's on maternity leave and is focusing on her kids. It's just odd to say she can attend a tennis match, but can't attend an important event just two days after the match. It just don't sound right, and I knew the perception was off when the announcements came in.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 07-02-2015, 02:45 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Yeah, I understand that she's on maternity leave. It's just off and odd for the palace to announce that she'll be attending a Wimbledon match, but can't make it to the Battle of Britain event two days later. No one is saying that she should go on to do a ton of engagements right away.

I'm a huge supporter of the Cambridge's and totally understand that she's on maternity leave and is focusing on her kids. It's just odd to say she can attend a tennis match, but can't attend an important event just two days after the match. It just don't sound right, and I knew the perception was off when the announcements came in.
Maternity leave isn't house arrest - she's just going out to watch a tennis match. If she were any other new mother, would you be thinking the same thing? "Oh, she's left the house - she ought to at least get back to work part time!" She should be able to go out without having expectations that she's back in the swing of things, because people will just keep asking for more and more (just like after she appeared at Trooping the Colour). IMO, when someone is on maternity leave, expect nothing.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think that since it was announced by the palace (kind of like an official engagement), I can see why some would think that she should go to the Battle of Britain event. If they had not announced it and she showed up, it might be taken as if it were more a personal day.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:58 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:

It's not a case of "she can". A woman on maternity leave is not on sick leave. They can go on dates, they can go on holidays, they can go shoppping and all that they want to do. All it means is that they are not working right now on account of them just having a baby. We've seen that the engagements Kate been to is family and fun now (Trooping, polo and tennis). It's the equivilent of going to a family birthday, a family day out and a date-day with your hubby. She has done no "official" engagements just as they said she wouldn't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess gertrude View Post
I think that since it was announced by the palace (kind of like an official engagement), I can see why some would think that she should go to the Battle of Britain event. If they had not announced it and she showed up, it might be taken as if it were more a personal day.
That's true. That was a little PR clumsy.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:59 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Maternity leave isn't house arrest - she's just going out to watch a tennis match. If she were any other new mother, would you be thinking the same thing? "Oh, she's left the house - she ought to at least get back to work part time!" She should be able to go out without having expectations that she's back in the swing of things, because people will just keep asking for more and more (just like after she appeared at Trooping the Colour). IMO, when someone is on maternity leave, expect nothing.
Firstly, I'm not attacking Catherine's maternity leave. I understand that her focus is on her children. That's all fine and well.

It just seems odd for the palace to announce that she will be attending a match at Wimbledon, but making it seem like her maternity leave will prevent her from attending an important event with the rest of the royals just two days later. I mean, if you can attend a tennis match one day, but can't attend a more important event just two days later, it just don't seem right. I don't even remember the palace announcing that she would be attending Wimbledon before. It just seemed like she showed up and the palace acknowledged it later.

Again, I'm not making a big deal about her maternity leave. It's just the perception of the announcements feels a bit off.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 07-02-2015, 03:03 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Firstly, I'm not attacking Catherine's maternity leave. I understand that her focus is on her children. That's all fine and well.

It just seems odd for the palace to announce that she will be attending a match at Wimbledon, but making it seem like her maternity leave will prevent her from attending an important event with the rest of the royals just two days later. I mean, if you can attend a tennis match one day, but can't attend a more important event just two days later, it just don't seem right. I don't even remember the palace announcing that she would be attending Wimbledon before. It just seemed like she showed up and the palace acknowledged it later.

Again, I'm not making a big deal about her maternity leave. It's just the perception of the announcements feels a bit off.
I agree that PR wise they have screwed up a little. But it's still not a matter of "if she can".
Old 07-02-2015, 03:07 PM
Courtier

Quote:

I don't think you're attacking her maternity leave, I just think maybe you don't understand it. As hernameispekka put it, it's not a matter of "she can" - that's just not what maternity leave is.

Closed Thread

Tags
the duchess of cambridge, the duke of cambridge