The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #621  
Old 03-27-2015, 04:19 PM
soapstar's Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hermosa Beach, United States
Posts: 3,299
The remark came from one of the kids at the charity Excel Project.

Quote:
The Duke and Duchess’s visit to the bus, where they talked to a group who had been helped by XLP, sparked a furious political debate.

While most of the youngsters said afterwards the couple had been understanding and down to earth, one 17-year-old, who called himself Hero, interjected angrily: 'They had no clue where we were coming from. I don’t think they could relate to anything we said.

'They are just keeping up appearances. They wanted to make it look like they related. We are paying our taxes – we pay for them to live where they live.'

However his fury soon abated. Asked what he thought how the couple came across, he said: 'Other than that, they were very considerate. They genuinely cared about what we said.'
Hearing some of the stories about how these kids grew up, one can understand why he didn't think they could relate to him. It seems his anger was less about William and Kate and more about the disparity between the rich and the poor.
__________________

  #622  
Old 03-27-2015, 06:54 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 4,401
Video from today
__________________

  #623  
Old 03-27-2015, 08:47 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 11,446
Videos:
Kate and William attended a concert by XLP - the youth mentoring community centre and charity. The royals joined in a sing along with one of the bands and were presented with gift bags including t shirts and mugs as well as two tiny t.shirts for their royal toddler and impending new royal baby, which stated 'i refuse to believe this is a lost generation'. On their way out of the building Kate was presented with many flowers, including one from a well-dressed young boy in hat and waistcoat-

Home - ITNSource News

With her last engagement before the birth to her second child the Duchess of Cambridge along with her husband Prince William visited an XLP community bus and the XLP mobile recording studio on the Hazel Grove Estate, Sydenham, South East London-
Home - ITNSource News

Caro Swan @CaroSwannie · 5h 5 hours ago
Honoured to be invited to photograph for @xlplondon and get up-close-and-personal with this lovely pair #xlproyals
https://twitter.com/CaroSwannie/stat...32292092399616
__________________
"THE REAL POWER OF A MAN IS IN THE SIZE OF THE SMILE OF THE WOMAN SITTING NEXT TO HIM."

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
  #624  
Old 03-27-2015, 09:34 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 4,401
Quote:
Today was a significant day for the urban youth charity XLP as they proudly welcomed the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge for the first time to visit some of their mentoring and community outreach projects based on inner city estates in London. The three hours they spent with XLP saw them visit the church in Gipsy Hill where the charity first started. They then went on to visit XLP’s stripped out and refurbished former double decker bus in Sydenham, which reaches out to young people in the area who are facing some serious challenges in their lives, including gang culture, family breakdown and addiction.

The Duke & Duchess immediately put everyone at ease through their genuine interest and even enjoying a joke with the young people – many of whom were very nervous meeting royalty for the first time. The young people shared their own powerful, personal stories of overcoming incredibly tough situations. Including Nadine who is one of 16 children and experienced family breakdown. She was made homeless at the age of 16, living rough on the streets for 2.5 years. XLP s help and mentoring of Nadine means she now has a home, a job and a real hope for the future.
More: The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge visit XLP | XLP
  #625  
Old 03-30-2015, 09:05 PM
IloveCP's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: -, United States
Posts: 8,236
Here are some gifs of their last event:

The Crown Outfitsâ™”

The Crown Outfitsâ™”
  #626  
Old 04-03-2015, 07:04 PM
Sun Lion's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
RKD @RoyalKateDebate · 50m 50 minutes ago
Apparently the Royal Variety Performance starts at 7 tonight. It will not be shown on TV until December.

RKD @RoyalKateDebate · 4h 4 hours ago
Will and Kate are at the Royal Variety Performance tonight and acc to @CamillaTominey we might get the details on the NYC trip too! ������

It's very good that they will be attending this evening event for the first time.


This was broadcast on our taxpayer-funded channel, ABC, yesterday afternoon - Good Friday - which was great, no ad breaks.

I've never seen the Duke and Duchess laugh their heads off so much.

(If you missed it Oz members, maybe it is now up on iView or Catch-Up TV.)
  #627  
Old 07-02-2015, 09:04 AM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 11,446
Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 2m2 minutes ago City of London, London
Kensington Palace has now announced that William and Kate will go to Wimbledon next Wednesday to watch the quarterfinals on Centre Court.
__________________
"THE REAL POWER OF A MAN IS IN THE SIZE OF THE SMILE OF THE WOMAN SITTING NEXT TO HIM."

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
  #628  
Old 07-02-2015, 12:16 PM
Marty91charmed's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Near Verona and Venice, Italy
Posts: 5,689
Well... i would have been surprised if they didn't turn up at Wibledon... pity Kate isn't going to the flypast...sigh
__________________
"Yet, walking free upon her own estate
Still,in her solitude, she is the Queen".
  #629  
Old 07-02-2015, 12:34 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 11,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
Well... i would have been surprised if they didn't turn up at Wibledon... pity Kate isn't going to the flypast...sigh
It is indeed a pity that she won't be attending. If she was attending another engagement on that day, then it would be understandable.
__________________
"THE REAL POWER OF A MAN IS IN THE SIZE OF THE SMILE OF THE WOMAN SITTING NEXT TO HIM."

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
  #630  
Old 07-02-2015, 12:39 PM
Marty91charmed's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Near Verona and Venice, Italy
Posts: 5,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
It is indeed a pity that she won't be attending. If she was attending another engagement on that day, then it would be understandable.
It wouldn't even be noticed if she weren't listed to attend Wimbledon as well: wrong perception on all fronts...
__________________
"Yet, walking free upon her own estate
Still,in her solitude, she is the Queen".
  #631  
Old 07-02-2015, 01:41 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 11,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
It wouldn't even be noticed if she weren't listed to attend Wimbledon as well: wrong perception on all fronts...
I know, it just seem odd for KP to announce that she will be attending a Wimbledon match, but not the Battle of Britain Anniversary events with the rest of the royal family two days later. If she can attend the match on Wednesday, she could also attend the event on Friday. I just wish palace officials would stop handling Catherine with kid gloves sometimes. She's totally capable of handling official engagements now and be a present mother.
__________________
"THE REAL POWER OF A MAN IS IN THE SIZE OF THE SMILE OF THE WOMAN SITTING NEXT TO HIM."

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
  #632  
Old 07-02-2015, 02:03 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: n/a, United States
Posts: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I know, it just seem odd for KP to announce that she will be attending a Wimbledon match, but not the Battle of Britain Anniversary events with the rest of the royal family two days later. If she can attend the match on Wednesday, she could also attend the event on Friday. I just wish palace officials would stop handling Catherine with kid gloves sometimes. She's totally capable of handling official engagements now and be a present mother.
I don't think they're handling her with kid gloves, she's just still on maternity leave. Charlotte's only two months old - most "regular" mothers are still on maternity leave at that point, and there's no need for Kate to hop back into things.
  #633  
Old 07-02-2015, 02:13 PM
Duchess of Durham's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Durham, United States
Posts: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
I don't think they're handling her with kid gloves, she's just still on maternity leave. Charlotte's only two months old - most "regular" mothers are still on maternity leave at that point, and there's no need for Kate to hop back into things.
Excellent point! We don't criticize other mothers who have a date with their husband or enjoy a social outing while they are on maternity leave.
  #634  
Old 07-02-2015, 02:15 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 11,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
I don't think they're handling her with kid gloves, she's just still on maternity leave. Charlotte's only two months old - most "regular" mothers are still on maternity leave at that point, and there's no need for Kate to hop back into things.
Yeah, I understand that she's on maternity leave. It's just off and odd for the palace to announce that she'll be attending a Wimbledon match, but can't make it to the Battle of Britain event two days later. No one is saying that she should go on to do a ton of engagements right away.

I'm a huge supporter of the Cambridge's and totally understand that she's on maternity leave and is focusing on her kids. It's just odd to say she can attend a tennis match, but can't attend an important event just two days after the match. It just don't sound right, and I knew the perception was off when the announcements came in.
__________________
"THE REAL POWER OF A MAN IS IN THE SIZE OF THE SMILE OF THE WOMAN SITTING NEXT TO HIM."

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
  #635  
Old 07-02-2015, 02:45 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: n/a, United States
Posts: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Yeah, I understand that she's on maternity leave. It's just off and odd for the palace to announce that she'll be attending a Wimbledon match, but can't make it to the Battle of Britain event two days later. No one is saying that she should go on to do a ton of engagements right away.

I'm a huge supporter of the Cambridge's and totally understand that she's on maternity leave and is focusing on her kids. It's just odd to say she can attend a tennis match, but can't attend an important event just two days after the match. It just don't sound right, and I knew the perception was off when the announcements came in.
Maternity leave isn't house arrest - she's just going out to watch a tennis match. If she were any other new mother, would you be thinking the same thing? "Oh, she's left the house - she ought to at least get back to work part time!" She should be able to go out without having expectations that she's back in the swing of things, because people will just keep asking for more and more (just like after she appeared at Trooping the Colour). IMO, when someone is on maternity leave, expect nothing.
  #636  
Old 07-02-2015, 02:57 PM
princess gertrude's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Columbia, United States
Posts: 2,370
I think that since it was announced by the palace (kind of like an official engagement), I can see why some would think that she should go to the Battle of Britain event. If they had not announced it and she showed up, it might be taken as if it were more a personal day.
  #637  
Old 07-02-2015, 02:58 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: ***, Sweden
Posts: 1,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Yeah, I understand that she's on maternity leave. It's just off and odd for the palace to announce that she'll be attending a Wimbledon match, but can't make it to the Battle of Britain event two days later. No one is saying that she should go on to do a ton of engagements right away.

I'm a huge supporter of the Cambridge's and totally understand that she's on maternity leave and is focusing on her kids. It's just odd to say she can attend a tennis match, but can't attend an important event just two days after the match. It just don't sound right, and I knew the perception was off when the announcements came in.
It's not a case of "she can". A woman on maternity leave is not on sick leave. They can go on dates, they can go on holidays, they can go shoppping and all that they want to do. All it means is that they are not working right now on account of them just having a baby. We've seen that the engagements Kate been to is family and fun now (Trooping, polo and tennis). It's the equivilent of going to a family birthday, a family day out and a date-day with your hubby. She has done no "official" engagements just as they said she wouldn't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess gertrude View Post
I think that since it was announced by the palace (kind of like an official engagement), I can see why some would think that she should go to the Battle of Britain event. If they had not announced it and she showed up, it might be taken as if it were more a personal day.
That's true. That was a little PR clumsy.
  #638  
Old 07-02-2015, 02:59 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 11,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
Maternity leave isn't house arrest - she's just going out to watch a tennis match. If she were any other new mother, would you be thinking the same thing? "Oh, she's left the house - she ought to at least get back to work part time!" She should be able to go out without having expectations that she's back in the swing of things, because people will just keep asking for more and more (just like after she appeared at Trooping the Colour). IMO, when someone is on maternity leave, expect nothing.
Firstly, I'm not attacking Catherine's maternity leave. I understand that her focus is on her children. That's all fine and well.

It just seems odd for the palace to announce that she will be attending a match at Wimbledon, but making it seem like her maternity leave will prevent her from attending an important event with the rest of the royals just two days later. I mean, if you can attend a tennis match one day, but can't attend a more important event just two days later, it just don't seem right. I don't even remember the palace announcing that she would be attending Wimbledon before. It just seemed like she showed up and the palace acknowledged it later.

Again, I'm not making a big deal about her maternity leave. It's just the perception of the announcements feels a bit off.
__________________
"THE REAL POWER OF A MAN IS IN THE SIZE OF THE SMILE OF THE WOMAN SITTING NEXT TO HIM."

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
  #639  
Old 07-02-2015, 03:03 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: ***, Sweden
Posts: 1,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Firstly, I'm not attacking Catherine's maternity leave. I understand that her focus is on her children. That's all fine and well.

It just seems odd for the palace to announce that she will be attending a match at Wimbledon, but making it seem like her maternity leave will prevent her from attending an important event with the rest of the royals just two days later. I mean, if you can attend a tennis match one day, but can't attend a more important event just two days later, it just don't seem right. I don't even remember the palace announcing that she would be attending Wimbledon before. It just seemed like she showed up and the palace acknowledged it later.

Again, I'm not making a big deal about her maternity leave. It's just the perception of the announcements feels a bit off.
I agree that PR wise they have screwed up a little. But it's still not a matter of "if she can".
  #640  
Old 07-02-2015, 03:07 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: n/a, United States
Posts: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Firstly, I'm not attacking Catherine's maternity leave. I understand that her focus is on her children. That's all fine and well.

It just seems odd for the palace to announce that she will be attending a match at Wimbledon, but making it seem like her maternity leave will prevent her from attending an important event with the rest of the royals just two days later. I mean, if you can attend a tennis match one day, but can't attend a more important event just two days later, it just don't seem right. I don't even remember the palace announcing that she would be attending Wimbledon before. It just seemed like she showed up and the palace acknowledged it later.

Again, I'm not making a big deal about her maternity leave. It's just the perception of the announcements feels a bit off.
I don't think you're attacking her maternity leave, I just think maybe you don't understand it. As hernameispekka put it, it's not a matter of "she can" - that's just not what maternity leave is.
__________________

Closed Thread

Tags
the duchess of cambridge, the duke of cambridge


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 7: September 2016 JessRulz The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family 34 10-21-2016 08:10 AM
The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 17: January 2016 - April 2016 iceflower Archives 680 04-24-2016 04:22 AM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit birthday catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events duchess of cambridge e-mail fashion poll grand duke jean greece kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander margrethe ii member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week president nieto; state visit prince alexander of sweden prince bernhard prince charles prince joachim princess eugenie fashion princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania royal fashion september 2016 sonja state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:53 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises