Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family: Married Life

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone William married would have had to adjust her life around his because, realistically, there's not much in William's life that's negotiable. He's always going to be the dominant partner in the more public parts of their lives together because he's the born royal but it doesn't necessarily follow that he's also the dominant partner in their private lives.

It is unfortunate that in 2012 it is still hard to accept that some women choose to be wives and mothers as their goals in lives. It's their right to choose that lifestyle, we don't know what goes on behind closed doors and if the rumored comment "he's lucky to be dating me" really came from Kate, then she isnt such a doormat or dominated by William as it seems.

Contacting TRH The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge

If one desired to write to Their Royal Highnesses which address would it be, I am confused as to their official residence supposedly Kensington Palace supposedly they haven't moved in as of renovations, I hear St James Palace and then I have heard Clarence House.

Which one ?

The correspondence of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge is still managed by Clarence House (not St. James Palace or Kensington Palace), so letters to the couple should be sent to the following address:

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge
Clarence House
London SW1A 1BA
United Kingdom

Contact a member of the Royal Family

I wouldn't be surprised if in their personal relationship William capitulates to Kate on a lot of matters. If he likes the normal family atmosphere of the Middletons and wants that emulated in his own marriage, there may be a lot of give and take as well as compromise going on. In public life, that's a different story.

Last edited:
It just annoys me when people say Kate's a doormat who lives her life purely for William. No one would ever say that Prince Philip's a doormat, but he had to make huge sacrifices both personally and professionally to take on a role whereby he's always in his wife's shadow. He had to give up his Greek title and citizenship, his religion, he couldn't invite much of his family to his wedding, he couldn't give his wife or children his own name, he had to give up his career, he's never owned his own home as they're owned by the Queen or the State, among many other things. But no one would ever accuse him of being a walk over the way they do with Kate.

I wouldn't be surprised if in their personal relationship William capitulates to Kate on a lot of matters. If he likes the normal family atmosphere of the Middletons and wants that emulated in his own marriage, there may be a lot of give and take as well as compromise going on. In public life, that's a different story.

I think there will always be the two realms - public and private. In their case, William will be King so he will be the leader in all things public (I would assume she would never presume there).

But privately, once children come along, isn't it so that the woman comes into her authority more if she hadn't before? I could see him deferring to her on the domestic front the way the Queen defers to Philip (we are told).

In the end its a dance - but they had a long lead-up to the marriage. Still, marriage changes things, it really does. No matter how long one has been living together, marriage alters the dynamic - I've experienced it and seen it happen time and again. Interesting phenomenon.

This is how I see their private relationship as well. Of course we'll never know exactly what happens when they're away from the public life (which is the way it ought to be), but I think that they've learned how to work together over the years. I'd imagine that in public life William would and does take the lead, but that's how it ought to be, since he's the Heir and one day will be King. Any relationship is a work in progress and if they stayed where they were five years ago, they would not have ended up married.

wow! lupo is so big! he have one year?

We have seen several photos of Catherine with Lupo and I was wondering if he reaslly is a cocker spaniel...Cockers have very long ears and curly hair in the ears, they are not so tall has lupo, lupo is becomeing a very tall dog for his age, and cockers spaniel are a very robust dog but not that high...He is thin and not very robust...Do you think Lupo

http://doggies.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Lupo-gardens.jpg

is similar than this one?

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/-pgoSZWY79o/0.jpg

And of course...I'am not even going to talk about her parents breeding dogs...

But of course breeds are not at all important what is important is that they love the dog and it their own puppy!

Last edited:
We have seen several photos of Catherine with Lupo and I was wondering if he reaslly is a cocker spaniel...Cockers have very long ears and curly hair in the ears, they are not so tall has lupo, lupo is becomeing a very tall dog for his age, and cockers spaniel are a very robust dog but not that high...He is thin and not very robust...Do you think Lupo

http://doggies.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Lupo-gardens.jpg

is similar than this one?

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/-pgoSZWY79o/0.jpg

And of course...I'am not even going to talk about her parents breeding dogs...

But of course breeds are not at all important what is important is that they love the dog and it their own puppy!

Lupo looks like a young cocker spaniel to me. We used to have a black one and their hair is not that long and curly when they are in „puberty”. He just needs to grow into his looks so to speak.. ;)

You raised a good question, biboquinhas. I don't think Lupo looks that much to be a cocker spaniel.
elenath, you say that he needs to grow. But to me one of the issues is that he seems to grown, ie, too tall. I never had a cocker spaniel nor have ever paid attention to one so perhaps you know it better... But I always had the feeling they are very short. And Lupo is becoming quite tall
BTW, who ever said he was one? Was it an official source or just a rumour?

Last edited:
Lupo appears to be a Field Bred English Cocker Spaniel / Springer Spaniel...They look very differently from your everyday Cocker Spaniel...larger & shorter hair.

Affection between William & Catherine

Has anyone one else noticed the deep affection between between this young couple?

I have noticed the glances between the two, still photographs of them clearly looking into each other's eyes and what I love to see if when they are on engagements William put his hand on his wife's back as if reassuring her.

I love this couple and what a great King & Queen they will make!

I see the exact opposite most of the time - that they don't seem to connect at all.

I see the exact opposite most of the time - that they don't seem to connect at all.
Agreed... among the royal couples of the younger generation - and this includes those who are ten years older than they are - it's IMHO quite noticeable that the Cambridge couple is the one which shows the least signs of affection or even warm interaction in public.

I think they are more private (especially William) but they do have little moments that break through (glances and touches) which I think are more exciting than the other couples who do it all the time.

I think there is a real affection and true love between them, but last year they demonstrated more their feelings, being more spontaneous.Now they've probably learned the protocol better. Maybe that's just my feeling, but at this year celebrations they looked more distant,maybe just the occasion and not their particular moment.

I think William's fairly visceral hatred of the media means that he is loath to give them anything in the way of overt PDA. A couple who wouldn't even tell the press the name of their new dog is hardly likely to be affectionate for the cameras.

Ultimately, it doesn't follow that PDA means a couple is deeply in love and vice versa. How many public couples have we seen in tears on their wedding day in the pictures in Hello and OK only to divorce in acrimony a couple of years later? I mean we've only ever seen Prince Philip kiss the Queen publicly once in almost 65 years, but no-one can doubt that they love one another dearly.

This wedding did the glory of the Diamond Jubilee and the Windsor’s.
Could anybody imagine this festivities with William alone , the highlight should be for the Duchess of C and the Memory of Diana should come back !

I think they are more private (especially William) but they do have little moments that break through (glances and touches) which I think are more exciting than the other couples who do it all the time.

I think you're right. People tend to place a lot of value on the amount of affection that a couple displays in public, and to me, that's an indicator of anything. William and Catherine strike me as very private people, and they won't want to share something that's supposed to be between them with the rest of the world. It's not necessary. To me, his hand on her back says a lot more than constant hand-holding and kissing that other couples feel the need to engage in when in the presence of the press.

Agreed... among the royal couples of the younger generation - and this includes those who are ten years older than they are - it's IMHO quite noticeable that the Cambridge couple is the one which shows the least signs of affection or even warm interaction in public.

I have to agree, too. It's been noticeable because there is clearly more warmth (and relaxation) happening between Kate and Harry and Kate and Camilla than one sees between Kate and William.

Diana always had an issue with Charles not 'being there' for her - for sure in public. It's been a complaint against Charles of not showing emotion - or enough emotion - for the emotional Diana. Hence, this aspect was assiduously studied when William and Kate went on their Canadian Tour last year. Posters were heartened to see William's gestures of 'support' for Kate. William would not be the cold-fish to his wife in public that Charles (supposedly) was to Diana. (An observation I disagree with. I always saw Charles as very gentlemanly with Diana in public).

Now, a mere year into the marriage and we are finding that William is behaving like the privileged upper-class male he is, assuming Kate can now fend for herself and she does not have to be coddled - all laudable but we have also seen 2 or 3 times when William has actually been expressing upset to Kate - in public. :wacko: That's cool. About what we cannot know (maybe he was joking haha) but Kate was clearly not comfortable, though in one instance Harry, who was near-by, was smiling in the midst of it.

The difference between William's 'support' of Kate last year at the Trooping and this year is marked. This year William and Kate were on the balcony as though they weren't a couple - thank heavens for Lady Louise who gave Kate someone to focus on.

I never had any particular 'feeling' about Kate one way or the other before the wedding - except I thought I sensed she was trying to be too perfect and was displaying deep tenseness - not easy to watch. At the engagement and then through the wedding I started to feel that maybe she wasn't my cup-of-tea - I have had concerns bobbing to the surface. But I've since come to feel compassion for her - and to like her. I also think the BRF and the nation will in times to come have every reason to be grateful to Carole Middleton for the calibre of daughter she raised.

William may not be the kind of man so many are projecting he is. He shares very little and does not seem genuine in front of the camera. I find him covert and resentful in interviews. (As well as being abysmally poorly spoken for a university educated young man). I think he may have more of his Uncle Spencer in him than the Father Windsor side (unfortunately).

P.S. BTW I can't think of any couple we look at on TRF that kisses and cuddles in public. :confused:

Last edited:
Though I can't remember Wills being upset to Kate in public (not even once I might add) Haakon and Mette-Marit come to my mind regarding PDA. They're often holding hands (e.g. Nobel festivities) or cuddling especially when they are watching sports competitions ...

I see plenty of affection and warmth between William and Kate. Just because they don't hang off of each other, doesn't mean that they have problems in their relationship. Some couples are just more openly affection than others.

http://thecambridges.tumblr.com/post/24750122543/wedding-of-george-mccorquodale-son-of-dianas
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5m6n3erq81rybvfmo2_1280.jpg
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5kb8monGS1r0e0igo3_400.jpg
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5m40sgSe91rybvfmo2_1280.jpg
http://thecambridges.tumblr.com/post/24767194735/the-hand-2012

Last edited:
Boris and Tyger - this looks pretty close/happy to me. I dont know how to just link 1 pic but (in case this goes wrong) its #40

Kate Middleton and Prince William Photos - Queen Elizabeth II and Duke of Edinburgh at the "Trooping the Colour" birthday celebrations in London with aerial perfomance - Zimbio

also I think #198

It worked. I don't think you meant #198. Clickie Here William is actually physically drawing away from Kate all through that picture series.

We could have dueling snapshots. Your photo shows Kate jollying William. He is in receiving mode - she is getting him to laugh - he is making no effort. However, picture after picture in that stream of photos you have provided show a very separate couple - you could drive a truck through the daylight between them. Here's one or two of many Kate and William at the Trooping 2012. Harry's gesture is interesting.

And then: Trooping 2012 Pic#1,
and Trooping 2012 Pic#2
and Trooping 2012 Pic#3
and Trooping 2012 Pic#4
and Trooping 2012 Pic#5

You get the idea. And this is only one example - I wasn't even expecting to see this level of support for my thesis in this set of pictures.

What is notable is the warmth and ease of Harry and that he winds up being physically closer and comforting towards her in the second series of photos on the balcony when she is in the gold/white dress. In fact I sometimes watch Harry and Kate and wonder if she married the wrong brother.

William and Kate and Harry Pic#1
William and Kate and Harry Pic#2 William's posture is beyond 'shyness'.

Again, this is Kate making William feel good. He is in receiving mode.

Last edited:
If you watch the actual video of the event, you'll she wasn't making him feel anything. They were joking around about throwing the toy javelin.

I interpreted his space from her during the balcony appearance there as stemming from the fact that he was standing closer to the Queen. So was Charles. I don't think that was about his marriage at all- more that he and Charles were on "heir duty" that day and focused on that.

They strike me as a very normal, happy, healthy couple.

And also... William and Kate are together all the time. When they're in public like that, they're not having "couple time", they're having to focus on both their extended family members and those who turn up to see them.

I think your hypothesis there is more than a little screwy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think your hypothesis there is more than a little screwy.

Cheesh! It resorts that quickly. :bb:

Well, if what I - and others - think is 'screwy' its no more screwy than a lot of ideas presented here regarding other members of the BRF.

Fact is, William may not be the kind of man people are assuming he is - my hunch - based on what I see of him and hear from him. It won't be the first time a public image has diverged from the private reality.

Last edited:
Basically I've never seen either William or Kate as overly affectionate to each other in public. We've seen them joshing around and there's been looks between them where you can see how they feel about each other but even at their wedding, they were more formal than say Victoria and Daniel were at theirs.

I put this down to William's deep aversion to the press and their meddling in the private lives of their parents. He has basically drawn a line in the sand that no press will cross and when they are in public, they act in their public persona. Its kept the press from hounding them while they are in Wales and we've seen very few photos that would be considered invasion of privacy with these two. Perhaps this is one reason they've latched onto Pippa. William has granted interviews when it is for a good reason such as his Granny's Jubilee and some documentaries about his charities but none have ever crossed the line asking about his private life. Kate is comfortable enough now with his family that she doesn't need to be glued to his side and they feel comfortable enough as a couple that they don't have to be together 24/7 and can enjoy interacting alone with other members of the family.

When we see William and Kate, we're seeing the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge in their royal roles. That's how it should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom