Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family: Married Life

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to partially agree with KittyAtlanta. I can only hope that Catherine gets a lot of advice and hopefully has everything neatly listed in advance.

(i.e. Outfits pre-picked out for each event and alternate outfits in case of foul weather).

I can only hope that she doesn't build her own wardrobe choices on her own without any help. That would be a potential disaster in the making. I hope that the number of recycled outfits are kept to a minimum.. like 1 or preferably zero.

Personally.. I would have preferred that they drop the number of press secretaries from 5 to 4 and replace that 1 slot with a personal assistant for Catherine.. but that's just my opinion.

I have to partially agree with KittyAtlanta. I can only hope that Catherine gets a lot of advice and hopefully has everything neatly listed in advance.

(i.e. Outfits pre-picked out for each event and alternate outfits in case of foul weather).

I can only hope that she doesn't build her own wardrobe choices on her own without any help. That would be a potential disaster in the making. I hope that the number of recycled outfits are kept to a minimum.. like 1 or preferably zero.

Personally.. I would have preferred that they drop the number of press secretaries from 5 to 4 and replace that 1 slot with a personal assistant for Catherine.. but that's just my opinion.

I think this will be a point of heavily conflicting opinions for some time to come...

It's been said here before I believe, but a "dresser" is not the same as a stylist, or someone whose job it is to pick out clothes for their employer to wear that day, or for that event. A "dresser" as it has been defined by other people here, is more akin to a PA or runner.

Duchess said:
william and catherine are definitely rich...i don't dispute that but i think they try to live as modestly as they can given their role and who they are. i think if they wanted to they could live in a big beautiful house with lots of staff and drive expensive cars but they don't. they choose to live a life much more modest than their friends. as for her wedding dress, i believe it was her parents that paid for it and she probably received an allowance from them prior to her marriage...obviously she had income from somewhere to be able to have the lifestyle she had.

I do agree- rich but not showy or pretenious (spelled right?)

I hope Kate and William employ as many people as they need. The key word being need. If they need them, I would hope nobody begrudges them some help.

For example, it seems admirable, but a dresser really would come in handy on this trip. Primarily because Kate will be moving from city to city, packing and re-packing, constantly busy and she has to look perfect at all times - not wrinkled, no hair or slip out of place - otherwise everyone, including many in this forum, will tear her down. It's not the same as the rest of us going on vacation.

I'm glad she's taking her hairdresser at the very least. I just hope she didn't let the media bully her out of taking someone she might need, when they'll be the first to take her to task for not getting the requisite help or looking slightly askew. Oh, the constant hypocrisy.

I am going to say and this is against my better judgement, as I seem to get a "telling off " from Mods when I buy in further but .... it's NOT about the dressing yourself on thes tours. These a real toll on the royal especially the first time and it is all hands to the pump to get that person through. Believe me.... so if it was only about popping on a frock then the drovers dog could do that. Anyway I will get a little message I am sure but that is the truth and my experience. It really should be clear but obviously not........

Agree about the staff situation. There's absolutely nothing wrong with hiring a little help. Forget that they're royals. They can hire help simply because they can, and especially more so if they need to (and I believe they do). There's no shame in it. I hope Kate gets the help she needs in this tour. Perhaps the "admin assistant", James Pryce or one of the secretaries can indirectly help in the wardrobe department -- if it only means getting them ready, packing/unpacking, etc.

But it certainly is admirable to have the couple try out the "minimum." That shows they're well grounded and not afraid to work. Hats off to them. Just hope it isn't overwhelming.

Didn't anybody read the post I made? A dresser is not the same thing as a stylist. So why do people insist on saying Catherine needs a "dresser" to make sure she doesn't look like crap when her and William get to whatever event they're going to? That's not what a dresser does.

Perhaps the "admin assistant", James Pryce or one of the secretaries can indirectly help in the wardrobe department -- if it only means getting them ready, packing/unpacking, etc.

In Canada William and Kate will be staying either with the Governor General in Ottowa and then with the various official residences of the governors in each province. These places have staff! That's who is going to be packing/unpacking, getting the luggage sorted, cleaning etc. When not staying in official residences they will be in hotel suites who again come with staff. They don't need to take large amounts of staff to do basic chores for them.

In LA they are staying at the British Consul-General's house, again a house that comes with staff.

The staff they are taking with them are more important, the 2 press secretaries to co-ordinate the huge media contingent that is coming. The Private secretary and deputy private secretary who make sure each engagement goes smoothly since they put the program together and did a reconnosance trip beforehand.

Sister Morphine said:
Didn't anybody read the post I made? A dresser is not the same thing as a stylist. So why do people insist on saying Catherine needs a "dresser" to make sure she doesn't look like crap when her and William get to whatever event they're going to? That's not what a dresser does.

I think everyone understands what a dresser does. What they're saying is that Kate should at least take one with her to make sure her clothes look right, aren't wrinkled, someone to pack & unpack for her and she doesn't leave anything behind at wherever they are staying. It'd be pretty exhausting going from one event to the next then having to worry about packing & unpacking. There should be someone to at least help them out with that.

I trust Kate to put together some great outfits for the Canada and LA tour. She maybe working with a stylist now in London & putting together some outfits. She may mix & match high street clothes with couture designers (Valentino skirt with a Reiss or H&M top).

I'm sure Kate will look amazing if she continues to follow what she likes to wear and not what the public wants to see.

I would presume to say that the reason why the Americans are interested in the British Royal family than any other royals around the world, is the United States of America was once a British colony although centuries have past. The bond still exists.

In the 1800 and early 1900, the wealthy families in the United States seeked husbands for their daughter (in england) especially those with titles like Duke, Earl and Baron. ( eventhough the titled suiters were pennyless) marrying their daughters to an Englishman (was a Feather in ones Cap")

After the Pilgrims set foot in this country and later years there was war between American and England that navel - string was never cut. The first and second world wars proved their love for each other (the greatest Allies). King George 111 lost America to George Washington but we the former colonist are still interested in merry old England and its royals.

Oh yes...and those penniless English familes had their coffers replenished in those marriages. My feeling is that since we were a colony and had many relatives living in England, the ties would be strong. As for the modern relationship, it is mostly political. All we share now is language (sort of), culture (sort of) and declining economies.

I think everyone understands what a dresser does. What they're saying is that Kate should at least take one with her to make sure her clothes look right, aren't wrinkled, someone to pack & unpack for her and she doesn't leave anything behind at wherever they are staying. It'd be pretty exhausting going from one event to the next then having to worry about packing & unpacking. There should be someone to at least help them out with that.

I trust Kate to put together some great outfits for the Canada and LA tour. She maybe working with a stylist now in London & putting together some outfits. She may mix & match high street clothes with couture designers (Valentino skirt with a Reiss or H&M top).

I'm sure Kate will look amazing if she continues to follow what she likes to wear and not what the public wants to see.

but what MM is trying to say is that a dresser doesn't do any of the things you mentioned. a dresser is a personal assistant...they don't have anything to do with what catherine wears or how it looks or packing and unpacking. a personal assistant would look after catherine's schedule, her correspondence...more like an administrative assistant or a secretary. :flowers:

Dresser, NOT a Dresser ---Mish/ Mosh, they are rich and royal let them do as they please, hire whom they must!!! What ever they want to call them. As long as they do their bit for Charity/Country and look good doing it ......MY Opinion of course..

Last edited:
I have to agree. Let them do as they choose and they will find out what they need for the next tour. If Catherine can make do with embassy personnel and hotel staff then that's fine. Personally, I would not want to trust expensive clothing to an anonymous hotel employee ... but then live and learn. It will be interesting to see what decisions they make for their next tour. :D

Actually, the position of "dresser" is that of a wardrobe assistant. HRH Kate needs one of those.

Duchess said:
but what MM is trying to say is that a dresser doesn't do any of the things you mentioned. a dresser is a personal assistant...they don't have anything to do with what catherine wears or how it looks or packing and unpacking. a personal assistant would look after catherine's schedule, her correspondence...more like an administrative assistant or a secretary. :flowers:

I believe you've described a personal secretary and I think for that Kate's been using Williams.....I thought the official definition of a 'dresser' was a waredrobe assistant, but not a stylist ....

KittyAtlanta said:
Actually, the position of "dresser" is that of a wardrobe assistant. HRH Kate needs one of those.

Yes- thank you!

I noticed a hairdresser on the list of staff for the tour. Couldn't help thinking a 'dresser' who's got a flair for hair and could follow Kate around at events and carry the flowers. 'Lady's maid' [from Upstairs Downstairs] might be the terminology.

Would not HRH the Duchess of Cambridge 's 'dresser' duties be given to her senior lady-in-waiting? I have read more than once that this particular position requires the touch of HRH's only sister, Miss Phillippa 'Pippa' Middleton. Agree or not, I do think Miss Middleton has a very wonderful sense of almost flamboyant style and fashion. She would have be more conservative in dressing HRH, but would be the right person for the position. To bring a sense of color to sister's wardrobe, Miss Middleton could only improve the Duchess' drab/neutral/navy/black wardrobe. The Duchess IMO, seems to fade into photo's background.

Would not HRH the Duchess of Cambridge 's 'dresser' duties be given to her senior lady-in-waiting? I have read more than once that this particular position requires the touch of HRH's only sister, Miss Phillippa 'Pippa' Middleton. Agree or not, I do think Miss Middleton has a very wonderful sense of almost flamboyant style and fashion. She would have be more conservative in dressing HRH, but would be the right person for the position. To bring a sense of color to sister's wardrobe, Miss Middleton could only improve the Duchess' drab/neutral/navy/black wardrobe. The Duchess IMO, seems to fade into photo's background.

Yes I have to agree. Pippa Middleton would be a fine support for Catherine and from what I've read, with her organisational and networking skills would make a very valuable contribution to the Cambridge Team. Not sure if it will happen for a while though... maybe when things settle down more in Pippa's life. After she marries and the living abroad plans are behind her.

Well, I don't know where to post this, but since it's a sweet article that involves the family relationship I'm posting here :)

Kate Middleton 'adored' by the Queen, reveals Zara Phillips - UK & World News - News - People.co.uk

Thank you for posting this! I have been wondering what The Queen and Prince Phillip thought of Kate. Nice to hear from the inside that they think a lot of her and everyone feels she is perfect for William.

The Queen looks very happy and smiley these days. I think she is thrilled with the outlook of the future and is confident that when she leaves this earth the Monarchy will be in good hands. :flowers:

According to this article William receives income from his father from the duchy off Cromwell so.... So prob not just living off solely his RAF salary at all but also have other sources is income.....

Something borrowed fits the bill for Duchess of Cambridge | The Australian

William most likely has multiple streams of income...some provided by his father, his salary and the interest off the money his mother left him. I remember reading that when he turned 25 he could and would receive 600K a year just off the interest from the trust fund. Plus I believe that the Queen Mother and Frances Shand Kydd left him some money as well.

It's likely this has already been talked about, but I get so turned around when looking for information here, because it seems to be in a million and one different threads; so if it has been, feel free to point me in the correct direction...

Although he's been created the Duke of Cambridge, William (I'm assuming this here), continues to use Wales as his sir name for work purposes. When they have children, do you suppose the children will use the last name Wales, or Cambridge?

Although he's been created the Duke of Cambridge, William (I'm assuming this here), continues to use Wales as his sir name for work purposes. When they have children, do you suppose the children will use the last name Wales, or Cambridge?

William no longer has Wales as his territorial designation. It's very convoluted, but this is how it works:

1. If William and Catherine have children during the Queen's lifetime, their eldest son will be HRH Prince X of Cambridge, while all subsequent children will be Lord/Lady X Mountbatten-Windsor. Letters Patent from 1917 dictate that the style and dignity of Prince of the United Kingdom and the HRH are bestowed in part, on the eldest son of the eldest son of the PoW.

2. If William and Catherine have children during his father's reign, they all will be HRH Prince/Princess X of Cornwall and Cambridge, until such a time as their father is made Prince of Wales, at which point they will have the same titular designation that William had and Harry continues to have. Upon the Queen's death and Charles's accession to the throne, William automatically becomes the Duke of Cornwall (in the UK), which would be added to the dukedom of Cambridge that he already has. George V was very briefly Duke of Cornwall and York after his mother's death, but before he was made Prince of Wales by Edward VII.

William no longer has Wales as his territorial designation. It's very convoluted, but this is how it works:

1. If William and Catherine have children during the Queen's lifetime, their eldest son will be HRH Prince X of Cambridge, while all subsequent children will be Lord/Lady X Mountbatten-Windsor. Letters Patent from 1917 dictate that the style and dignity of Prince of the United Kingdom and the HRH are bestowed in part, on the eldest son of the eldest son of the PoW.

2. If William and Catherine have children during his father's reign, they all will be HRH Prince/Princess X of Cornwall and Cambridge, until such a time as their father is made Prince of Wales, at which point they will have the same titular designation that William had and Harry continues to have. Upon the Queen's death and Charles's accession to the throne, William automatically becomes the Duke of Cornwall (in the UK), which would be added to the dukedom of Cambridge that he already has. George V was very briefly Duke of Cornwall and York after his mother's death, but before he was made Prince of Wales by Edward VII.

Thank you for the explanation. Good to know.

I thought William and Catherine's children would all be titled HRH Prince/ss X of Cambridge? Just as Prince Andrew's daughters are styled and titled HRH Princess X of York. I didn't realize it just applied to the eldest son

I thought William and Catherine's children would all be titled HRH Prince/ss X of Cambridge? Just as Prince Andrew's daughters are styled and titled HRH Princess X of York. I didn't realize it just applied to the eldest son

The difference is that William and Kate's kids would be great-grandchildren of the Queen, not grandchildren, like the York girls.

It's because the only great grandchild of the reigning monarch who gets an HRH is the eldest son of the eldest son of the Prince of Wales. It's the same reason the children of Dukes of Gloucester and Kent aren't HRHs even though they are the great grandchildren of HM King George V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom