The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-15-2011, 07:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
What baffles me is that people don't see that Kate is not a "rich wife". Her parents have made a good financial nest egg over the years which Kate probably does stand to inherit from but that doesn't mean she has unlimited access to those funds. Same with William. He's inherited from his mother and most likely a trust fund maybe from his great grandmother (we really don't know what William's state of financial affairs are do we?)
You are right. Of course they do not have unlimited acces to the family funds. On the other side, when you see Catherine's life for the last years (clothing, travels, social presence) you can understand that she was not living strictly on her part time or full time job salary! She has some income from her family and William from his mother, not extremely high maybe, but high enough to allow them to pay a housekeeper for some hours per week!

Old 06-15-2011, 08:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
Corrections and clarifications | From the Guardian | The Guardian

They didn't but their press secretary did per his quote. Just saying i didn't pull the idea out of thin air .....

Yes, it's about the Wales house and not London but my point is as their press rep he did say about the help which is the same as them making the statement- just wanted to clarify my earlier point that someone did talk about it officially.

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge scrap plans to employ housekeeper at Kensington Palace home - Telegraph

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge scrap plans to employ housekeeper at Kensington Palace home

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have scrapped plans to recruit a servant to work in their new London base at Kensington Palace, it has emerged.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:40 AM
Royal Highness

i believe that william inherited a substantial amount from his mother and could, if he wished, afford to live far better than he does. having a small staff is far more realistic for them...they need someone to manage their public lives and if they have a small staff for the KP apartment maybe it's not full time but only when they know that the duke and duchess will be spending time there. just some thoughts.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:07 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess View Post
i believe that william inherited a substantial amount from his mother and could, if he wished, afford to live far better than he does. having a small staff is far more realistic for them...they need someone to manage their public lives and if they have a small staff for the KP apartment maybe it's not full time but only when they know that the duke and duchess will be spending time there. just some thoughts.
Correct. As much as I know, Diana got 40 Million Euros from the divorce from Charles (apart from the jewels and other stuff she received as personal gifts). I heard, that most went to Harry, as he will not become king one day. OK, nevertheless Wills still have some money and he definately is NOT POOR!!!

Apart from that: there is a "private life" they have in Anglesey (which very well can be paid by Williams salary and you do not need much more than cooking and cleaning .

And: they have a "public Life" in London -- as we have seen last week: One Public Duty after the other. So this is a completely different life here, where they definately need some help. And although I love and agree, that Catherine has an excellent dressing taste, you still can make many mistakes with the dress code for example.

Additionally: what is happening with the organisation of all their charities, letters to be answered, thousands of wedding wishes etc.... here this will need more than just Kates hands to organise, answer, write etc.... so in this case they need help as well.

So there is a difference between not getting help in Angelsey and getting help in London.

BYe Bine
Old 06-15-2011, 10:29 AM
Royal Highness

So if she's not a 'rich wife' who paid for her $2,000 dress (or more) she wore ? Or her McQueen coat? Or her several pairs of. $300+ shoes? C'mon guys let's be realistic, no matter what they live off of (and I'm not convinced it's his salary) they are rich- at least by my standards. I don't care where the money comes from, makes no difference to me but I think it's very unrealistic to deny that William and Kate are rich.....maybe not uber rich by Royal standards like the Queen or Charles but still rich......but rich in this case doesn't equal pretentious IMO

Based on the new statements that the Duke and Duchess do not was a 'servent' in London bc they're mainly in Wales they want to be normal....and they do not feel they need help in either home.....I'm sure as their duties grow they'll have to get some ....but I respect they are not doing so if it's not necessary to them yet

Edit- on another note- http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...nada-tour.html
Old 06-15-2011, 02:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think that this no dresser is something that Kate may regret these tours are horrible and they do take there toll no matter how young or experienced William is probably used to them but she will not be and it is IMO a huge risk. It is on thing to save money another to be so totally OTT that you put yourself at risk. Yes embassies willl probably help but ..... there staff are always at a minumin anyway and though thye would not doubt provide ... having that backup is a huge emotional as well mental support I believe she is foolish but that is only in my experience and time I guess will tell. IMO
Old 06-15-2011, 02:30 PM
Royal Highness

Oh I'm sure they'll manage without someone to lay out a dress and suit on the bed. I went on a two week tour of New England and Canada last year and had to get off the ship EVERY day to visit the various stop-off ports, visit museums, gardens, shops and various landmarks, plus find somewhere to eat each time AND get changed for dinner each evening and not forgetting having to wave everytime we entered and left port - I managed perfectly well to sort out my wardrobe with no trouble at all. Provided Catherine (and for that matter William) take plenty of clothes and back-ups and they're put in the wardrobes in proper order, it'll be a breeze!
Old 06-15-2011, 03:02 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
So if she's not a 'rich wife' who paid for her $2,000 dress (or more) she wore ? Or her McQueen coat? Or her several pairs of. $300+ shoes? C'mon guys let's be realistic, no matter what they live off of (and I'm not convinced it's his salary) they are rich- at least by my standards. I don't care where the money comes from, makes no difference to me but I think it's very unrealistic to deny that William and Kate are rich.....maybe not uber rich by Royal standards like the Queen or Charles but still rich......but rich in this case doesn't equal pretentious IMO

Based on the new statements that the Duke and Duchess do not was a 'servent' in London bc they're mainly in Wales they want to be normal....and they do not feel they need help in either home.....I'm sure as their duties grow they'll have to get some ....but I respect they are not doing so if it's not necessary to them yet

Edit- on another note- Kate Middleton and Prince William take entourage of just 7 on US and Canada tour | Mail Online
william and catherine are definitely rich...i don't dispute that but i think they try to live as modestly as they can given their role and who they are. i think if they wanted to they could live in a big beautiful house with lots of staff and drive expensive cars but they don't. they choose to live a life much more modest than their friends. as for her wedding dress, i believe it was her parents that paid for it and she probably received an allowance from them prior to her marriage...obviously she had income from somewhere to be able to have the lifestyle she had.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:11 PM
Serene Highness

I believe that Catherine is quite capable of dressing herself. She didnt have a dresser before she married. As for not having servants, I think its good that they stay as grounded as possible. Of course Im sure they will have a house full of staff at some point but I admire the fact that they would prefer to have a somewhat "normal" lifestyle. I would only hope that in the future they will be able to continue a somewhat more modern lifestyle than what is expected. I think Catherine has a good head on her shoulders and would never do anything that would embarrass the firm. She knows the protocol and she knows what is expected of her. I have complete faith that she can hold her own.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

I guess I'm a black sheep in this group, as Katherine definitely needs a dresser, if nothing else. She has looked very nice on her recent outings, but I am sure she had someone to help her. Her polish could use some coaxing.

The Cambridges are new enough for most people not to care about how they're turned out, but I sure wouldn't like for Kate to think that the outfit she wore the day after the wedding was OK for a public appearance.

Money is no indicator of anything. It makes life easier, but it can't make a person stylish unless they have some style.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:53 PM
Aristocracy

I have to partially agree with KittyAtlanta. I can only hope that Catherine gets a lot of advice and hopefully has everything neatly listed in advance.

(i.e. Outfits pre-picked out for each event and alternate outfits in case of foul weather).

I can only hope that she doesn't build her own wardrobe choices on her own without any help. That would be a potential disaster in the making. I hope that the number of recycled outfits are kept to a minimum.. like 1 or preferably zero.

Personally.. I would have preferred that they drop the number of press secretaries from 5 to 4 and replace that 1 slot with a personal assistant for Catherine.. but that's just my opinion.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:35 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetiger View Post
I have to partially agree with KittyAtlanta. I can only hope that Catherine gets a lot of advice and hopefully has everything neatly listed in advance.

(i.e. Outfits pre-picked out for each event and alternate outfits in case of foul weather).

I can only hope that she doesn't build her own wardrobe choices on her own without any help. That would be a potential disaster in the making. I hope that the number of recycled outfits are kept to a minimum.. like 1 or preferably zero.

Personally.. I would have preferred that they drop the number of press secretaries from 5 to 4 and replace that 1 slot with a personal assistant for Catherine.. but that's just my opinion.
I think this will be a point of heavily conflicting opinions for some time to come...
Old 06-15-2011, 07:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

It's been said here before I believe, but a "dresser" is not the same as a stylist, or someone whose job it is to pick out clothes for their employer to wear that day, or for that event. A "dresser" as it has been defined by other people here, is more akin to a PA or runner.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 06-15-2011, 09:47 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess

william and catherine are definitely rich...i don't dispute that but i think they try to live as modestly as they can given their role and who they are. i think if they wanted to they could live in a big beautiful house with lots of staff and drive expensive cars but they don't. they choose to live a life much more modest than their friends. as for her wedding dress, i believe it was her parents that paid for it and she probably received an allowance from them prior to her marriage...obviously she had income from somewhere to be able to have the lifestyle she had.
I do agree- rich but not showy or pretenious (spelled right?)
Old 06-16-2011, 12:02 AM
Nobility

I hope Kate and William employ as many people as they need. The key word being need. If they need them, I would hope nobody begrudges them some help.

For example, it seems admirable, but a dresser really would come in handy on this trip. Primarily because Kate will be moving from city to city, packing and re-packing, constantly busy and she has to look perfect at all times - not wrinkled, no hair or slip out of place - otherwise everyone, including many in this forum, will tear her down. It's not the same as the rest of us going on vacation.

I'm glad she's taking her hairdresser at the very least. I just hope she didn't let the media bully her out of taking someone she might need, when they'll be the first to take her to task for not getting the requisite help or looking slightly askew. Oh, the constant hypocrisy.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

I am going to say and this is against my better judgement, as I seem to get a "telling off " from Mods when I buy in further but .... it's NOT about the dressing yourself on thes tours. These a real toll on the royal especially the first time and it is all hands to the pump to get that person through. Believe me.... so if it was only about popping on a frock then the drovers dog could do that. Anyway I will get a little message I am sure but that is the truth and my experience. It really should be clear but obviously not........
Old 06-16-2011, 05:54 AM
Aristocracy

Agree about the staff situation. There's absolutely nothing wrong with hiring a little help. Forget that they're royals. They can hire help simply because they can, and especially more so if they need to (and I believe they do). There's no shame in it. I hope Kate gets the help she needs in this tour. Perhaps the "admin assistant", James Pryce or one of the secretaries can indirectly help in the wardrobe department -- if it only means getting them ready, packing/unpacking, etc.

But it certainly is admirable to have the couple try out the "minimum." That shows they're well grounded and not afraid to work. Hats off to them. Just hope it isn't overwhelming.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:44 AM
Heir Presumptive

Didn't anybody read the post I made? A dresser is not the same thing as a stylist. So why do people insist on saying Catherine needs a "dresser" to make sure she doesn't look like crap when her and William get to whatever event they're going to? That's not what a dresser does.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 06-16-2011, 08:58 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishRoyals View Post
Perhaps the "admin assistant", James Pryce or one of the secretaries can indirectly help in the wardrobe department -- if it only means getting them ready, packing/unpacking, etc.

In Canada William and Kate will be staying either with the Governor General in Ottowa and then with the various official residences of the governors in each province. These places have staff! That's who is going to be packing/unpacking, getting the luggage sorted, cleaning etc. When not staying in official residences they will be in hotel suites who again come with staff. They don't need to take large amounts of staff to do basic chores for them.

In LA they are staying at the British Consul-General's house, again a house that comes with staff.

The staff they are taking with them are more important, the 2 press secretaries to co-ordinate the huge media contingent that is coming. The Private secretary and deputy private secretary who make sure each engagement goes smoothly since they put the program together and did a reconnosance trip beforehand.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:15 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine
Didn't anybody read the post I made? A dresser is not the same thing as a stylist. So why do people insist on saying Catherine needs a "dresser" to make sure she doesn't look like crap when her and William get to whatever event they're going to? That's not what a dresser does.
I think everyone understands what a dresser does. What they're saying is that Kate should at least take one with her to make sure her clothes look right, aren't wrinkled, someone to pack & unpack for her and she doesn't leave anything behind at wherever they are staying. It'd be pretty exhausting going from one event to the next then having to worry about packing & unpacking. There should be someone to at least help them out with that.

I trust Kate to put together some great outfits for the Canada and LA tour. She maybe working with a stylist now in London & putting together some outfits. She may mix & match high street clothes with couture designers (Valentino skirt with a Reiss or H&M top).

I'm sure Kate will look amazing if she continues to follow what she likes to wear and not what the public wants to see.