The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-23-2012, 07:17 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Love this article. Thanks for the link Dman.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:15 PM
Majesty

I know there are some members of the media that actually call her The Duchess of Cambridge. I know most members of the media know her by the name 'Kate Middleton' but I think it is very important for them to at least make it known to the viewers that she's now HRH The Duchess of Cambridge. I think that way it will give the public, especially here in America, a chance to get used to her royal title and status. I think if they keep calling her 'Kate Middleton' the public will never understand who is The Duchess of Cambridge.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:57 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
I think if they keep calling her 'Kate Middleton' the public will never understand who is The Duchess of Cambridge.
I don't think the public really care. Unless you have an interest in royals, it doesn't really matter. I've always seen her referred to as Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge in loads of articles which is the title she would have if she divorced William. Camilla is still known by her first married name, not even her maiden name. It's not going to change, Sophie's the only one who's managed to shed her maiden name.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:04 PM
Majesty

I don't know, I just kinda get irritated when members of the US media continue to call her 'Kate Middleton' because she is married now and her status has changed. It may take a few years for her title to kick in within the media. As it did for Sophie, although the US media pretty much pay no attention to the Countess of Wessex.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:05 AM
Heir Presumptive

During Sophie's recent trips to Gibraltar and Canada she was called Sophie Rhys Jones. What bothers me more is Princess Kate or Princess Sophie.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:14 AM
Majesty

Well, they are Princesses of the United Kingdom though marriage.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:04 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101
During Sophie's recent trips to Gibraltar and Canada she was called Sophie Rhys Jones. What bothers me more is Princess Kate or Princess Sophie.
I just get irritated when people are not referred to properly by the press. The members of general public that don't follow royals get their information from various news sources, and don't bother to check the facts. Hence why Sophie, Camila and Catherine are known by their maiden names even after their respective marriages.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:10 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101
I totally agree!! They are married women, so why refer to them by their maiden names?? Plus they have proper titles, just use them instead of making up a title!!!
Old 10-02-2012, 11:16 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Penelope View Post
I totally agree!! They are married women, so why refer to them by their maiden names?? Plus they have proper titles, just use them instead of making up a title!!!
I agree. I think the media and others should refer to Catherine, Camilla and Sophie by their official titles.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:51 AM
Heir Apparent

That's true, but "Princess" isn't part of their official names. If William didn't have a dukedom, Catherine would be Princess William and not Princess Kate.

Quote:
Well, they are Princesses of the United Kingdom though marriage.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:17 AM
Heir Presumptive

They are called by what they are generally known by especially in countries that don't care about titles. Camilla was popularly known as Camilla Parker Bowles for decades, Kate was known as Kate Middleton for almost a decade; it's easier to use those names then their long cumbersome titles. I see it in a similar fashion as incredibly famous actresses who get married, take their husbands name but still go by their maiden name to the general public.
I suspect Sophie has managed to be known by her married name because she was not as famous as Kate nor infamous like Camilla.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 10-03-2012, 03:57 AM
Gentry

I think it just takes time. I have to say I haven't actually seen Camilla referred to as Camilla Parker Bowles in quite a long time. She's generally referred to as either The Duchess of Cornwall or simply Camilla--both of which I think are acceptable.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:18 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
I just get irritated when people are not referred to properly by the press. The members of general public that don't follow royals get their information from various news sources, and don't bother to check the facts. Hence why Sophie, Camila and Catherine are known by their maiden names even after their respective marriages.
To me, it is just one more way common courtesy has faded away. People are rude when they talk, they are rude when they drive. People are just really becoming rude all around. I am all for bringing manners back into play and showing respect for others.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:49 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethaliz6894 View Post
To me, it is just one more way common courtesy has faded away. People are rude when they talk, they are rude when they drive. People are just really becoming rude all around. I am all for bringing manners back into play and showing respect for others.

Very well said
Old 10-03-2012, 03:22 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethaliz6894

Well said indeed!

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:55 PM
Gentry

I recently read a story about Catherine popping into a store and asked that some merchandise be held for her under the name Mrs. Cambridge. I actually thought that William and Harry used the surname of Wales. (I've seen it on their military fatigues.) Obviously Catherine knows what her name is but I'm a little surprised she didn't say Mrs. Wales.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:40 PM
Aristocracy

Her husband title is now Duke of Cambridge so that is why she said under the name Mrs. Cambridge. He has that in his own right so that out ranks his being the son of the Prince of Wales. I have noticed he has worn clothes with Wales on it. I am not sure why so if that could be clarified.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:31 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketmom View Post
I recently read a story about Catherine popping into a store and asked that some merchandise be held for her under the name Mrs. Cambridge. I actually thought that William and Harry used the surname of Wales. (I've seen it on their military fatigues.) Obviously Catherine knows what her name is but I'm a little surprised she didn't say Mrs. Wales.
William, Harry and Kate's real surname (and the House they all belong to) is Windsor. However, on private occasions William and Harry had used "Wales" as a surname, signifying their father's title of The Prince of Wales. In the same way, Beatrice and Eugenie use "York" as a surname, even though they are Windsors too.

Now that William has his own title, the Duke of Cambridge, it is very likely that both he and his wife will use "Cambridge" as a surname, whenever required. Any children they have during the reign of Queen Elizabeth (and unless William acquires a higher title) will be "of Cambridge" as well.

Harry has no peerage title of his own, meaning that in all likelihood he still used "Wales" as a family name.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:26 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
William, Harry and Kate's real surname (and the House they all belong to) is Windsor. However, on private occasions William and Harry had used "Wales" as a surname, signifying their father's title of The Prince of Wales. In the same way, Beatrice and Eugenie use "York" as a surname, even though they are Windsors too.

Now that William has his own title, the Duke of Cambridge, it is very likely that both he and his wife will use "Cambridge" as a surname, whenever required. Any children they have during the reign of Queen Elizabeth (and unless William acquires a higher title) will be "of Cambridge" as well.

Harry has no peerage title of his own, meaning that in all likelihood he still used "Wales" as a family name.
This has been discussed extensively, but to reiterate... (Primarily to test my own knowledge...)

The only child of TRH The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge (born during the reign of HM Queen Elizabeth II) to be "of Cambridge" will be the first-born boy (unless new Letters Patent are issued, granting all children of Prince William an HRH and princely style). Moreover, that boy would potentially be known by William's subsidiary title anyway--HRH The Earl of Strathearn. All other children (including all girls and any other boys) will be Lord or Lady X Mountbatten-Windsor until The Prince of Wales accedes, at which point they would become HRH Prince/Princess X of Cornwall and Cambridge.

One final edit: The original point of this post, was to point out that Williams surname (rather the surname of his descendants without titles) is Mountbatten-Windsor, not Windsor.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:39 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeOfAster View Post
Her husband title is now Duke of Cambridge so that is why she said under the name Mrs. Cambridge. He has that in his own right so that out ranks his being the son of the Prince of Wales. I have noticed he has worn clothes with Wales on it. I am not sure why so if that could be clarified.
IIRC he didn't want to change the name he was know in the army, though he could.