The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-21-2012, 10:42 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

If Charles can pay for Catherine's hair, I'm sure he can pay to furnish their house.
William has a sizeable fortune, and they seem to be a somewhat modern couple who might want to furnish their home, their own way.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:44 AM
Aristocracy

As HMtQ has never given an interview and PC gives very few and none where such matters were discussed - I never give any of these issues much thought beyond accepting that everything is speculation.

One presumes that William, as eventual Monarch (and Catherine, by extension, as Queen Consort) is encouraged to gradually and reasonably grow into his role and his home and possessions are a direct reflection of the Monarchy itself.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:00 AM
Majesty

I'm sure William & Catherine will do their own thing with their Kensington Palace apartment but I think if the Queen wanted to give them something to help decorate their new home, I really don't see them turning her down.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:01 PM
Courtier

I read somewhere that Catherine liked more modern decor. Maybe the publicly used rooms will be more ornate and their private quarters more modern. They will be doing a lot of public functions.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
In the future, William and Kate will be based primarily out of their apartment at KP so I do imagine that they will have areas that will be for formal entertaining and such. Perhaps Kate will even choose some of the furnishings that Margaret used and have them recovered or renovated. She most likely is going to really enjoy putting this home together for William and their future children. Can you imagine her glee picking out things for a nursery? I sure can.

Its nice that as a family, William, Harry and Kate will be based out of KP. I can see Uncle Harry bopping over from Nottingham Cottage for weekend afternoon football game and romping in the gardens with his future nieces and nephews and eventually when he does have his own family, they all will remain close. I'm sure both boys have some wonderful memories growing up at KP and in a sense, moving back there is like going home.

I wouldn't be surprised either if after all is said and done and the move to KP is in the past, Will and Kate buy themselves a remote cottage in Wales just to have quiet weekends away. I do think its a special area for them.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:39 PM
Serene Highness

I wonder if Harry will keep following Will & Kate. He gets their KP cottage once the Cambridges move into 1A. When Charles becomes King, William and Kate would probably go to Clarence House. Does Harry take over their KP apartment since Nottingham cottage is small?

Highgrove is owned by the Duchy of Cornwall, so it becomes William's when he's the Duke. Charles has a house in Wales now. I don't if it his or the Duchy's, but it would make sense for William as Prince of Wales to spend time in Wales.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
I wonder if Harry will keep following Will & Kate. He gets their KP cottage once the Cambridges move into 1A. When Charles becomes King, William and Kate would probably go to Clarence House. Does Harry take over their KP apartment since Nottingham cottage is small?
One thing I can almost bet my last doughnut on is these two brothers are going to always be extremely close to one another. As you said, Nottingham is a relatively small place and I imagine should Harry marry and start a family of his own, they'll also need a larger place.

It wouldn't surprise me when Charles becomes King, William and Kate remain at KP. I think Clarence House has a special meaning for Charles as it was the residence of his beloved grandmother. I can see Charles still using Highgrove as his country home after ascending the throne. He's put so much work into it and its almost like a badge of pride for him. He's not going to let it go easily.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

The house in Wales, which can be rented as a holiday let, is owned by the Duchy of Cornwall. I don't think it's really the kind of place in which the royals would spend more than a week or two.

I have to say, I think Charles will find it very difficult to leave Highgrove. I wonder if he might continue to rent it from the Duchy when he's King? It just seems like it's the house that's more 'him' than any other, if you know what I mean.

I suppose then it would be a matter of where the new Prince of Wales goes for his country retreat? Maybe Sandringham or one of the houses on its estate?
Old 09-21-2012, 06:07 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
One thing I can almost bet my last doughnut on is these two brothers are going to always be extremely close to one another. As you said, Nottingham is a relatively small place and I imagine should Harry marry and start a family of his own, they'll also need a larger place.

It wouldn't surprise me when Charles becomes King, William and Kate remain at KP. I think Clarence House has a special meaning for Charles as it was the residence of his beloved grandmother. I can see Charles still using Highgrove as his country home after ascending the throne. He's put so much work into it and its almost like a badge of pride for him. He's not going to let it go easily.
I rememeber a while back there was talk about one of the larger private apts at KP being vacated by someone pretty high up in the POWs staff (former secretary maybe?) They said it was a very grand apt and that his replacement would not be given room and board with the position. there was speculation that apt was a possibility for Harry - I assumed after he was married.

sorry a little fuzzy on the details, perhaps someone else can fill in
Old 09-21-2012, 06:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Isn't The Queen giving William and Catherine a house on the Sandringham estate to use as their country getaway?
Old 09-21-2012, 06:15 PM
Courtier

I believe it was a 30th birthday present for William. I think Sandringham is a bit far as a weekend getaway location. But the gift makes sense given that there are quite a few buildings on the estate and the main house is not that large. Over the holidays it was getting very crowded.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:16 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Isn't The Queen giving William and Catherine a house on the Sandringham estate to use as their country getaway?
You're correct

That's some 30th birthday gift! Queen gives William a cottage at Sandringham | Mail Online
Old 09-21-2012, 06:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Now that you mention it, I seem to recall it wasn't too long ago either too that this was mentioned in the press. This country "getaway" was no small piles of potatoes either.

I'm going to assume then that Charles does plan on following traditions and the family will still gather at Sandringham for the Christmas holidays, Balmoral in the summers and Windsor Castle at Easter time. Perhaps also when Charles is King, he'll reside at Balmoral and William and Kate will have Birkhall?
Old 09-21-2012, 07:33 PM
Courtier

This discussion is beginning to remind me of that song in Camelot- "What do the Simple Folk Do?"

"They sit around and wonder what royal folk would do
And that's what simple folk do."

It's fun to speculate on other people's country houses and palaces!
Old 09-21-2012, 07:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleQ2 View Post
I believe it was a 30th birthday present for William. I think Sandringham is a bit far as a weekend getaway location. But the gift makes sense given that there are quite a few buildings on the estate and the main house is not that large. Over the holidays it was getting very crowded.
Not that far really. Depending on traffic getting out of London you should be able to drive there in under 2 hours.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:45 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post

Highgrove is owned by the Duchy of Cornwall, so it becomes William's when he's the Duke. Charles has a house in Wales now. I don't if it his or the Duchy's, but it would make sense for William as Prince of Wales to spend time in Wales.
It has been made known that Kensington Palace will be the Cambridges perminate official residence. So I think even when Charles comes to the throne, William & Catherine will remain at Kensington Palace.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:29 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

There's a thread to discuss the future home of Catherine and William just here. http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...nce-29282.html
Old 09-22-2012, 08:51 PM
Majesty

The gestures that talk of true love | Express Yourself | Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express

A very nice article on the Cambridges.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:46 PM
Serene Highness

What a nice article and oh so true. Catherine has been a very strong figure for William and I think it is wonderful. She held herself up during the whole nude thing and quite well. She is quite the young woman and it is great to know that William doesnt have to babysit or hold her hand all the time. I know she was born for this.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:31 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGabrielle View Post
What a nice article and oh so true. Catherine has been a very strong figure for William and I think it is wonderful. She held herself up during the whole nude thing and quite well. She is quite the young woman and it is great to know that William doesnt have to babysit or hold her hand all the time. I know she was born for this.
Well said . Catherine's definitely one of a kind.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.