The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-13-2012, 01:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandduchess24
Shouldn't we start a thread about her pregnancy because there is a magazine out now that the palace says its official abd thst both the duke and duchess are excited.

I say she is but eveyone says she isnt but meh we'll just have to wait.
Much as I would enjoy it being true, it's a supermarket tabloid that has it on the cover. However, with the whole toasting in water rather than champagne there may be truth in the tabloid! Frankly, I was expecting her to be pregnant earlier, as they have been together for over a decade. She has very little body fat which can be a problem when trying to get pregnant.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Shouldn't we start a thread about her pregnancy
If and when the Palace announces that the Duchess is pregnant, we (and half the world) will know within minutes.
Until then, such talk remains media speculation and nothing more.

Chances are that pregnancy speculation will one day be proved correct, but the confirmation will come from Buckingham Palace or Clarence House, not from a tabloid or trash mag.

Warren
British Forums moderator

Old 09-13-2012, 05:18 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
If and when the Palace announces that the Duchess is pregnant, we (and half the world) will know within minutes.
Until then, such talk remains media speculation and nothing more.

Chances are that pregnancy speculation will one day be proved correct, but the confirmation will come from Buckingham Palace or Clarence House, not from a tabloid or trash mag.

Warren
British Forums moderator
Amen to that !!!!!
Old 09-17-2012, 10:52 PM
Serene Highness

Thank you Warren. :)
Old 09-20-2012, 09:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

This is such a nice piece about Kate and how she's viewed by Richard Palmer and other members of the press corps. I posted it in their current events, but I also thought it was relevant here, as it reflects what a lot of posters think: That Kate and William's marriage could be very like that of the Queen Mother and George VI.

Blogs | Richard Palmer | Royal blog: Duchess Kate is a tough cookie | Exclusive opinion, news and views from Daily and Sunday Express's top writersExpress.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express
Old 09-20-2012, 10:30 PM
Aristocracy

As above, I posted this in another thread and came here because I thought it more appropriate in this thread. I see that great minds think alike :)

(the article above references the Queen Mother)

I was just thinking today how Catherine reminded me of the Queen Mother, rest her soul.

There's that bit about (when told she and the children should go to Canada during the war) saying (I paraphrase from memory) "The children cannot go without me, I cannot go without the King and the King shall never leave." I always loved her for that. A strong statement from a strong woman without taking any strength from the man. I always thought it said a lot about them as a couple.

It seems to me that William is a lot like King George VI and Catherine a lot like Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon. I think William would rather be a helicopter pilot, but this will not in any way detract from his willingness to do his duty and the quality of his effort. And I think Catherine would rather be married to a helicopter pilot, but this will not detract in any way from her willingness to help him do his duty and the quality of her effort.

YMMV
Old 09-20-2012, 10:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

This is very well said, and it reflects my own thoughts about this couple.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:03 PM
Aristocracy

To bring this thread back to topic... Does anyone have any idea how things are coming along in apartment 1B (that's the one, right?) at Kensington Palace? I HIGHLY doubt they'll allow such an invasion into their private life as to give us a tour of the finished product, but a prince can dream, can't he?
Old 09-20-2012, 11:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
This is such a nice piece about Kate and how she's viewed by Richard Palmer and other members of the press corps. I posted it in their current events, but I also thought it was relevant here, as it reflects what a lot of posters think: That Kate and William's marriage could be very like that of the Queen Mother and George VI.

Blogs | Richard Palmer | Royal blog: Duchess Kate is a tough cookie | Exclusive opinion, news and views from Daily and Sunday Express's top writersExpress.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express
What a nice piece - glad you posted it for us. It is refreshing to read a press piece with some thoughtfulness and reflection behind it every now and again. It was fair and balanced.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:34 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincePatrick View Post
To bring this thread back to topic... Does anyone have any idea how things are coming along in apartment 1B (that's the one, right?) at Kensington Palace? I HIGHLY doubt they'll allow such an invasion into their private life as to give us a tour of the finished product, but a prince can dream, can't he?
I think the plans for the apartment is now underway. I think the couple will be very hands on with turning the apartment into their official residence. As for one giving us a glimps into their new home, I somehow doubt it but then I don't think we can completely rule it out.

I think it's great that the Cambridges and Prince Harry will breath new life into Kensington Palace.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:45 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincePatrick
It's 1A...but I'm sure one of the things they will most appreciate is the large private walled garden. they should be in the midst of heavy renovations soon. The KP exhibit that was in part of the space they were taking over ended sept 3rd. This is going to a big project for Kate. She likes to be so hands on,and she is creating this home for William and their family. Along with this move, theirs (and Harry's) offices are to be relocated to KP from SJP. I'm not sure there were so many stories I had heard, but I think they were to be into KP by spring 2013.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:22 AM
Aristocracy

Is the large private garden the one in which William was filmed as a baby crawling/toddling at the line of photographers?

[youtube]
Old 09-21-2012, 02:51 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincePatrick View Post
Is the large private garden the one in which William was filmed as a baby crawling/toddling at the line of photographers?
That was a different apartment at Kensington.

William and Kate will be moving into the former apartment of Princess Margaret. This apartment apparently has a small private garden and a courtyard. Here's a nice little blog article - including a few photos (click on photos to enlarge).
Kate and William’s Future Kensington Palace Apartment « The Royal Post
Old 09-21-2012, 05:14 AM
Heir Presumptive

Given what's happened to them recently, I wouldn't be surprised if William and Kate chose not to go out in their garden. All it would take is someone on a high-ish floor of a building nearby with one of these long lenses and it's apparently fair game. How sad would that be?
Old 09-21-2012, 08:55 AM
Heir Apparent

If Kate keeps her clothes on, I don't think it will be a problem. LOL
Old 09-21-2012, 09:10 AM
Serene Highness

The rapier wit of some people is 'hilarious'
Old 09-21-2012, 09:20 AM
Serene Highness

I've read that HM allowed the Earl and Countess of Wessex to choose from some of her personal antiques and furniture when the couple moved into Bagshot Park

It would be nice if HM extends the same offer to the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge to help them furnish Kensington Palace.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke-of-Earl View Post
I've read that HM allowed the Earl and Countess of Wessex to choose from some of her personal antiques and furniture when the couple moved into Bagshot Park

It would be nice if HM extends the same offer to the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge to help them furnish Kensington Palace.
Certainly. Howeever, I have read in the past that HM refused to allow the PoW to pick from surplus furniture at BP when he was first furnishing KP and Highgrove.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:55 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke-of-Earl View Post

I think the Queen would more than happy to help the Cambridges with furnishing their new home.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:32 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Certainly. Howeever, I have read in the past that HM refused to allow the PoW to pick from surplus furniture at BP when he was first furnishing KP and Highgrove.
Charles has always had access to quite a fortune and inherited even more upon the Queen Mum's death. (Not saying here that William doesn't have quite the sum in the bank, just that it's likely nowhere near what his father had at the same age...) Remember, for example, that Charles not only paid for Diana's clothes and jewels, but he pays today for Kate's clothes (and some of William and Kate's other expenses).

Therefore, quite rightly, HM was/is justified in refusing surplus furniture to Charles (who is able to afford whatever he wants to buy) and instead offering it to other royals like Edward and Sophie, and likely William and Kate.