The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-10-2012, 02:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Ladies, I do not care how much Kate spends on frou-frou. I posted the info as I could cite the source.
It sounds like something that would come off of Good Morning America where they probably think of the British royals as some kind of psuedo-celebrities.

I could care less too how much or how little anyone else spends on whatever it is they purchase.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Why would you say that GMA would think of the BRF as pseudo-celebrities? They are people of interest. GMA was very kind to her in the segment. I don't care how much Kate spends, but for that amount she should look better.

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs...lebrities.html

Old 07-10-2012, 03:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Reason being that I've noticed that with American reporting on the royals it tends to pertain to the persons themselves and what they do, what they wear, who they met and what their lifestyles are as would be any report on celebrities be as a general rule. British reporting by the higher respectable media tends to focus on what they were doing and why such as "XXX takes the podium to speak out about British riots". In other words, they focus more on what the BRF hope to achieve than their American counterparts. I've never heard any report on any American station that has been anything but nice when speaking of them too. Of course this is just my observations.

I really wonder how they got the $40k figure. Is there somewhere where the tallies of what she spends is made public and I don't know about it?
Old 07-10-2012, 03:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Better? What an odd and whimsical suggestion in itself some might say. What or who is it exactly that HRH is measured by that would suggest Catherine should look better. She is aesthetically fortunate in more than one way (facial structure, contour, height, body shape etc) and is evidently healthy. By all accounts, she makes for a very pretty picture.

Furthermore, How do we know how much is spent on the said beauty regimen of the Duchess? Are people really so easily won over by the estimations of an early morning breakfast program that they consider it a reliable source of information?

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 07-10-2012, 05:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine

Really? We know for a fact that she works out at least 2 hours a day? Was there some sort of announcement of her private training session that I missed?
Doesn't socialize with the wives of members of Williams crew? Was this announced as well? I must have missed the announcement in the Court Circular as to who they see privately. I thought the benefit of being stationed at RAF Valley was that it would enable them to live a relatively private life away from the prying eyes of the press and the public so we would not be seeing how they live their life away from the cameras. I would expect the families of RAF Valley to also be quite discreet and protective of the Cambridges. Perhaps you or the DM has a mole at RAF Valley?
Testify
Certain people are just projecting their own desires on Kate and assuming she must be being bullied to stay in Anglessey when they themselves would hate it.
< ed Warren >
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-10-2012, 05:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Testify
Certain people are just projecting their own desires on Kate and assuming she must be being bullied to stay in Anglessey when they themselves would hate it.
I'm not sure whether this refers to a comment I made earlier or not as you haven't defined who the "certain people" are. (My earlier post = #819)

For clarity, I have said that I think that Catherine is in Angelsey because William's work is the priority - and I don't say that in a negative way. I reference his comments in the engagement interview.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 07-10-2012, 05:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

I personally can't think of anything I would love more than quiet and seclusion in a beautiful place and lots of time to myself but also time to spend with my partner. Throw in a horse and lots of books and I'd be happy as a clam.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Isn't that the truth....and idyllic walks by the beach and in the countryside, puppy at my heels, with a pub haunt or two.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
Isn't that the truth....and idyllic walks by the beach and in the countryside, with a pub haunt or two.
I live in a place like that - dont have my own horses tho' but they roam free where I live

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 07-10-2012, 06:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Nice, I envy you that, cepe, although the lifestyle isn't for everyone. But it is for me, and I'd take it in a New York minute, as they say!
Old 07-10-2012, 06:08 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
I personally can't think of anything I would love more than quiet and seclusion in a beautiful place and lots of time to myself but also time to spend with my partner. Throw in a horse and lots of books and I'd be happy as a clam.
No kidding, right? I'm not seeing how someone would have to be bullied into living that life for awhile. Especially someone in Kate's situation, with a time fast approaching where every aspect of her life is going to be scheduled, observed and judged.

If someone said to me... take the next two, three, four years and live in a nice little house in Wales with your new husband. You're both set financially so don't worry about money. You need to learn about your new position but you have access to a bunch of advisors waiting to help you in any way they can. You'll need to come back to London every so often for business, but you CAN come back as often as you want to shop, visit friends, see a show, whatever. Obviously your family and friends can come visit you whenever they want. Spend time as a couple. Get a cute little dog.... I'd be all over that offer. It's not something I'd want forever, but for a few years? Sounds great.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Sign me up, please! Seriously, I think the two of them will look back fondly on these idyllic days when their lives will soon be totally dominated by schedules, timetables, protocol and public engagements. And I think this time is going to end sooner than anticipated, given the Queen's age and Philip's health.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:54 PM
Majesty

I think that for a few years this kind of life would be heaven for anyone. It would allow one some time to think and get oneself together for whatever will be coming up next. It also allows William and Catherine to work on their marriage, to really learn about being a team in terms of business and everyday life. I cannot imagine living in the public eye right after being newly married. It would drive me up the wall and lead to a divorce (I get frazzled easily).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
Sign me up, please! Seriously, I think the two of them will look back fondly on these idyllic days when their lives will soon be totally dominated by schedules, timetables, protocol and public engagements. And I think this time is going to end sooner than anticipated, given the Queen's age and Philip's health.
I think you hit the nail on the head! I think us, regular folks could only dream of having something like this for the first few years of married (or even 'adult' right out of college/grad school period). Unfortunately we don't have this luxury, but those that do are quite lucky. Like you, I also see their idyllic days in Wales are going to come to an end sooner than we all think, so whatever time they have left to lead a relatively private life should be treasured and enjoyed.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:05 PM
Aristocracy

A few months back when she was doing some work with the Scouts, the children were asking Kate what it was like to be a princess. She said that she enjoyed it and that she got to travel to lots of different places and meet all kinds of people and that William "spoiled" her. Doesn't sound like a woman bored and controlled to me. I think she's truly enjoying her work, but when it comes time to get in front of cameras, she defers to William, and I've got no problem with that. He's used to it, she's still a newbie. And in my opinion, she'll do that for a bit longer as I think she'd like to get a few years under her belt before really stepping out on her own. She's got William's support and that of Prince Charles and the Queen. Who else does she need?
Old 07-10-2012, 07:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't think living in Anglessey for years would be idyllic for me, I think I could do it for a few months and then I would ask for a transfer to France or New York. But that's just me; Kate does not appear to have a problem with country life or thinks it's tedious or boring. Is Buckleberry more country or a semi small city atmosphere?
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-10-2012, 07:16 PM
Nobility

The Queen has stated before that some of the happiest days in her life were as a housewife in Malta, and still has ties to Malta. I think going off and lying low in the country was whole heartily approved by the Queen. Anglesey was an available spot, and as the future PoW, it could not hurt. She saw what happened when Di was thrown to the wolves. She knew what worked for her, and urged them to take their time.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Calling Bucklebury a town would be generous in UK terms. It's a village with a population of about 2,000. Main difference with Anglesey is that it's within easy distance of London. Anglesey's nearest big city is Liverpool which is still 2 hours away.

I've been to Anglesey once having taken the ferry from Dublin to Holyhead. It's a very scenic place, and it actually feels kind of cut off because it is an island. Llandudno's not far and it's very pretty.

No-one chooses to go to university in St. Andrew's unless they like sort of sleepy little towns. Just down the road is Edinburgh University which is very well regarded and has an abundance of nightlife and myriad other attractions that St. Andrew's can't offer.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:34 PM
Courtier

I seem to remember that a number of years ago Catherine was reported to having said that she would love to live in the country and raise her family. I think that rural armosphere suits her.' As for upcoming engagements, she is probably preparing for the tour in September. She has a lot to learn. Also, it was announced that she would be adding additions patronages by the end of the year. That would also require more research.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:04 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by COESpiral View Post
A few months back when she was doing some work with the Scouts, the children were asking Kate what it was like to be a princess...
I remember reading about that conversation. I don't think Catherine would be too open about her life, but I have a feeling that she won't sugarcoat anything either. If things were going badly, she would have given a neutral answer in order to come off as diplomatic. As for giving William control when they're in front of the cameras, I think that's a smart move. He has more experience and she can learn a great deal from observing.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:00 AM
Serene Highness

We're beating a dead horse here.

As for who William is and what is going on - is this the thread for that discussion? I have been feeling that we have been in a massive thread-nap. Seems like all of this should be on the marriage thread. IMO of course.

I've snaffled this link from another thread because pictures from #421 through #430 are fascinating. Watch William and Kate. What do you see? How do you 'read' the images? Do you see a married couple? Do you see two people connected and involved with each other? Your answer will be an opinion, to which you are entitled. An opinion can be formed on such ephemeral 'evidence' as this.

Camilla Parker Bowles Photos - Royals watch an air show - Zimbio