The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-02-2011, 11:55 AM

I think they will be a huge success, provided they are allowed to develop their public roles at their own pace and are allowed the normality of life they have known thus far until they are the 'front line' so to speak. It's good to think Catherine now has some time to prepare for the Canada tour which is going to be more worldwide media saturation, although I have absolutely no doubt that they will be an unparalleled success on the tour. I can barely wait!

That said, I think she has the strength of character to carve her own role and identity within the firm, that will compliment William without intentionally upstaging him. She's a smart cookie who absolutely knows what she's getting herself in to.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:35 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess View Post
it occured to me that william and catherine remind me very much of the king george and the queen mother. the QM was very supportive of her husband. i get a sense that catherine will be the same way. not sure what's made me feel like this. does anyone else get that feeling?
I agree, except I would characterize it as mutually supportive. Yes, the duty of one day being the Sovereign falls to William, but I think he is so mindful of what usually happens to women who marry into his family that we will see him being as ferociously supportive of Catherine as she is of him. I expect the Middletons will see plenty of their daughter and son-in-law and that they will not be frozen out to the degree that other in-laws have been.

They're a wonderful match, these two, and I wish them a lifetime of happiness.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:39 PM
Heir Apparent

What struck me throughout this whole thing was Catherines poise. She carried off the media scrutiny, the wedding the whole she-bang (if you will) gracefully and seemingly effortlessly. I think these tools will serve her well as Duchess.
One thing that rankled and quite badly (and if this is the wrong place to put this, I apologize to the Mod's and ask that they move it to a more appropriate thread) was the commentators at the wedding. "William is Diana's son. Harry is Diana's son." Well they both are bloody well Charles' sons too! And I don't think they remember to give HRH TPoW the credit he deserves for raising them!
Old 05-02-2011, 05:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

I may have been imagining things, but I thought TDofCa was really enjoying herself at her wedding. I'm very glad of that. There have been instances amongst my family/friends where the bride doesn't even remember the ceremony...
Old 05-02-2011, 05:35 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
What struck me throughout this whole thing was Catherines poise. She carried off the media scrutiny, the wedding the whole she-bang (if you will) gracefully and seemingly effortlessly. I think these tools will serve her well as Duchess.
One thing that rankled and quite badly (and if this is the wrong place to put this, I apologize to the Mod's and ask that they move it to a more appropriate thread) was the commentators at the wedding. "William is Diana's son. Harry is Diana's son." Well they both are bloody well Charles' sons too! And I don't think they remember to give HRH TPoW the credit he deserves for raising them!

There are times when I think commentators and members of the public think that William and Harry arrived via immaculate conception with the emphasis on them being Diana's sons.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

I read somewhere the in the new house that the y will live they only have securty officers, bodyguards, nothing else, but certenly I do not belive that, don't tell me she will do the cleaning of all that house?
Old 05-03-2011, 04:42 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelen View Post
I read somewhere the in the new house that the y will live they only have securty officers, bodyguards, nothing else, but certenly I do not belive that, don't tell me she will do the cleaning of all that house?
I read somewhere where they have a housekeeper.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:16 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisele View Post
I think this wedding will be more successful because for starters, Catherine is older when she got married. She went to University, she worked and she is more secure as a person than Diana ever was. I adore Diana but she was a very sheltered woman who didn't get a chance to develop and grow into the woman she should have been. She had a lot of insecurities and hadn't had a chance to outgrow them at the time of her marriage. Catherine is her own woman - secure, confident, and very comfortable in her skin.
Good summation of the essential differences between both women. Added to which, perhaps,is the fact that Diana only met with Charles on 12 occasions before they married and was still calling him 'sir' and Catherine and William have been living as man and wife for some years.

Also, the Palace has appointed a very experienced and accomplished man in the ways of diplomacy, international affairs and royal protocol to advise and mentor Catherine, something which Diana never had - she was left to founder. As her adviser, he will be travelling to Canada with them both; he already has the confidence of William, having been charged with overseeing his and Harry's office when they established their independent office, and at HM's insistence.

Everything bodes well for the success of this most welcome marriage.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:36 PM

William and Kate

They do in a way appear to be like QM and George. I think they will be a great asset to Britain as they assume more responsibility. They are a beautiful couple.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:19 PM
Heir Apparent

I remember an article in ROYALTY years ago about Diana being an "icon". This was before she died. The writer made reference to all the images of Diana with downcast eyes and drew a connection between this image and the Madre de la Rosa. Hence the "immaculate conception" idea is a natural outcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
There are times when I think commentators and members of the public think that William and Harry arrived via immaculate conception with the emphasis on them being Diana's sons.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:23 PM
Serene Highness

I think William and Kate have such a different dynamic then Charles and Diana. It was a completely different world then, and until Diana, the Royals were always center stage anywhere they went, it was always about the image. Charles was raised to obey completely what was laid out for him by the firm, he learned this first hand at his mothers knee,or should I say his nanny's knee because his mother was busy being HM QEII. Also, Diana and Charles weren't in love, maybe given different circumstances they could of learned to love each other, but Charles needed a virgin & Diana wanted to marry the Prince of Wales, so they didn't stand a chance.
IMHO,Kate and William love each other, to me that means they want the best for the other, you could see their pride in each other the entire day, I think they have what it takes to make it work, I don't think egos will be issue with these two.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:27 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly View Post
Good summation of the essential differences between both women. Added to which, perhaps,is the fact that Diana only met with Charles on 12 occasions before they married and was still calling him 'sir' and Catherine and William have been living as man and wife for some years.

Also, the Palace has appointed a very experienced and accomplished man in the ways of diplomacy, international affairs and royal protocol to advise and mentor Catherine, something which Diana never had - she was left to founder. As her adviser, he will be travelling to Canada with them both; he already has the confidence of William, having been charged with overseeing his and Harry's office when they established their independent office, and at HM's insistence.

Everything bodes well for the success of this most welcome marriage.

Diana was not left to founder.

She was given senior advisors - one being one of the Queen's own experienced Ladies-in-Waiting - but Diana dispensed with their services and advice before the marriage.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:39 PM
Serene Highness

I heard on NPR radio when they were talking about Diana's virginity saying that there was no written requirement that the heir to the throne had to marry a virgin (I thought that there was) but according to this report, it was more or less an understanding or a gentleman's type agreement that this is how it would be.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Diana dispensed with the services of those who told her that her husband could have a mistress and to grin and bear it. What nonsense. She was a fool, she married a man who was devoted to another woman.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:14 AM
Commoner

I hope that they make it but only God knows if they will. They seem very down to earth. They got to truly know each other before they got married. I think they are a good example for many couples out there.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Cute little article summing up what their married life may be like. Sorry if it's posted in the wrong place
Royal Wedding: From dream bride to perfect army wife - Telegraph
Old 05-04-2011, 11:53 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
Diana dispensed with the services of those who told her that her husband could have a mistress and to grin and bear it. What nonsense. She was a fool, she married a man who was devoted to another woman.
I think it's disrespectful to call her 'a fool'. Do you know all and recognize every signal in that area when you are barely 20?
Hindsight provides easy talk.

Anyway, I think Catherine and William have a very good life ahead of them. They know each other, took their time and are on the same level. I have confidence that they will make it work.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:37 PM

I also agree William & Catherine are going to have a healthy marriage. I say this not only because they've known each other for years and got married when they wanted to, but because its also psychology.

I've read the best pair is when the woman is oldest in her family, this way the man could bring out her mothering ways. William lost his mother at a young age, and I've heard that he's needy. Therefore he has Catherine, who is the oldest in her family, to take care of him. Plus, they are both the oldest making them natural leaders, so they will go far together.

This is a match in heaven, dare I say!

Old 05-04-2011, 12:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

The cottage that the Cambridges will occupy will it be on an estate or is it a cottage among other cottages?
Old 05-04-2011, 12:49 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234
The cottage that the Cambridges will occupy will it be on an estate or is it a cottage among other cottages?
It's the same place they've been living I believe and I think it Royal family and media have an agreement not to publish it's exact location - though I've always thought it was not on an estate but just a regular allbeit large house, yes?