The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #361  
Old 06-17-2012, 08:19 PM
HRHHermione's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Boston, United States
Posts: 2,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
When we see William and Kate, we're seeing the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge in their royal roles. That's how it should be.
Exactly. And that's what I was trying to get across as well.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #362  
Old 06-17-2012, 08:23 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles CA, United States
Posts: 1,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Basically I've never seen either William or Kate as overly affectionate to each other in public. We've seen them joshing around and there's been looks between them where you can see how they feel about each other but even at their wedding, they were more formal than say Victoria and Daniel were at theirs.

I put this down to William's deep aversion to the press and their meddling in the private lives of their parents. He has basically drawn a line in the sand that no press will cross and when they are in public, they act in their public persona. Its kept the press from hounding them while they are in Wales and we've seen very few photos that would be considered invasion of privacy with these two. Perhaps this is one reason they've latched onto Pippa. William has granted interviews when it is for a good reason such as his Granny's Jubilee and some documentaries about his charities but none have ever crossed the line asking about his private life. Kate is comfortable enough now with his family that she doesn't need to be glued to his side and they feel comfortable enough as a couple that they don't have to be together 24/7 and can enjoy interacting alone with other members of the family.

When we see William and Kate, we're seeing the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge in their royal roles. That's how it should be.
For sure I can go with that - it's a tad extreme imo - but it's possible it's as you say. Except for those overt moments that are 'uncalled for' in a public sense. Anyway, not important really - not today. It might be later on down the line - but not today.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #363  
Old 06-17-2012, 08:32 PM
soapstar's Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Britain
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hermosa Beach (CA), United States
Posts: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
Now, a mere year into the marriage and we are finding that William is behaving like the privileged upper-class male he is, assuming Kate can now fend for herself and she does not have to be coddled - all laudable but we have also seen 2 or 3 times when William has actually been expressing upset to Kate - in public. That's cool. About what we cannot know (maybe he was joking haha) but Kate was clearly not comfortable, though in one instance Harry, who was near-by, was smiling in the midst of it.
I've never seen William get upset with Kate in public. And if he had, you can best believe the press would have been all over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
When we see William and Kate, we're seeing the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge in their royal roles. That's how it should be.
Yep. Totally agree.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #364  
Old 06-17-2012, 08:32 PM
regardez's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: , United States
Posts: 318
When has William been publically rude to her? Or what are these "uncalled for" moments?
__________________
now that the lilacs are in bloom,
she keeps a bowl of lilacs in her room
Reply With Quote
  #365  
Old 06-17-2012, 08:40 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles CA, United States
Posts: 1,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
I've never seen William get upset with Kate in public. And if he had, you can best believe the press would have been all over it.
Nope. William is hands-off. He's Diana's son. The narrative regarding William (and Harry) is too valuable to tinker with. Do you think certain portions of the British public would sit still for 'honest reporting' regarding William - and Harry and Charles for that matter? I don't think so. The press are vested in a certain very powerful narrative because its lucrative - they'll stick to it until it doesn't 'sell' anymore. However, that doesn't stop them from showing the pictures without comment.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #366  
Old 06-17-2012, 08:47 PM
soapstar's Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Britain
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hermosa Beach (CA), United States
Posts: 1,404
Like I've said, I've never seen any photos or video of William being mean to Kate in public. Nor have I heard any rumors of that sort of behavior. Without actual evidence, I'm going to assume it's not true.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #367  
Old 06-17-2012, 08:53 PM
CanRoyal's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: West Coast, Canada
Posts: 251
^Yes, it would be interesting to see some real links, photos or some actual evidence of what some have been saying about William.

Now here are some photos I quickly googled which show William and Kate in private - in situations where there was a reasonable expectation that the press had not been called or any sort of public notice given that William and Kate were going to be somewhere. In other words, these were private times - taking a walk in the park, talking a walk with their pup along a beach, or at a cousin's wedding last week.

William and Kate walking in the park:
http://i.huffpost.com/gen/320775/WILLIAM-KATE-MATCH.jpg
William and Kate walking on the beach:
http://belieber.files.wordpress.com/...-spaniel-3.jpg
William and Kate at his cousin's June 9th wedding (several photos in this article of what the Daily Mail calls 'adoring William'):
Kate Middleton looks demure as she and William attend wedding of Princess Diana's niece | Mail Online
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #368  
Old 06-17-2012, 08:57 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Some City, United States
Posts: 211
I agree that William hates the media and is never going to go on display for them. I also agree that they do seem distant in the photos. But I've never seen them any other way.

As for Will and Kate's marriage, who can say? I will say this. Anyone who is married a long time know that all marriages go through some very rough patches. And then things are back to normal again. I'm going to assume that these two are mature enough to be in it for the long haul.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #369  
Old 06-17-2012, 09:08 PM
HRHHermione's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Boston, United States
Posts: 2,089
Also, they've been together ten years already. They've ALREADY proved they're in it for the long haul.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #370  
Old 06-17-2012, 09:14 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Some City, United States
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
Also, they've been together ten years already. They've ALREADY proved they're in it for the long haul.
This is true, but marriage IS different from living together. I think every couple goes through an adjustment after the marriage, and it's not always an easy one. That is not to say that I think this marriage is in trouble. If anything I will assume that any distance is either due to the fact that they hate the media interference or they are in a rough patch. If my own marriage of many years were on such display every week, God only knows what the photos would indicate.

I can't blame these two for not showing affection in public. Last time they threw each other a "knowing glance" when Kate refused peanut butter every paper on the planet announced her pregnancy.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #371  
Old 06-17-2012, 09:20 PM
Frelinghighness's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New England, United States
Posts: 2,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
Also, they've been together ten years already. They've ALREADY proved they're in it for the long haul.
They have only been MARRIED for a year, I don't care how long they were together before.
Obligations, real and imagined, of married couples and especially this married couple are much greater.
In fact, the pressure on them is ,of course enormous.
Also, what's wrong with a married couple fighting? Proper communication, fair fights, are what keeps any long range relationship going.
William may very well feel angry about the "decision" he has to make in his career.
He also may want to give the press as little as possible.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #372  
Old 06-17-2012, 09:20 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles CA, United States
Posts: 1,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Peach View Post
As for Will and Kate's marriage, who can say? I will say this. Anyone who is married a long time know that all marriages go through some very rough patches. And then things are back to normal again. I'm going to assume that these two are mature enough to be in it for the long haul.
Agree - and I think maybe they are hitting that patch now, maybe - who knows. I think Kate is mature enough - and has the kind of parental support - that will make the long haul possible for her. She also seems to be the kind of woman Camilila is - a bridge-builder.

Given that I am not a careful collector of links - and don't pay attention to when and where - I can't supply links but I recall the moments very clearly. And I've just shown you with the links to this year's Trooping of the Color balcony scene - compare it to last year.

Anyway, first I have heard that this is all about convincing people. It's all in how you 'read' the images. I've just spoke my piece - what I see. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Peach View Post
If my own marriage of many years were on such display every week, God only knows what the photos would indicate.
You said it, girl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Peach View Post
I can't blame these two for not showing affection in public. Last time they threw each other a "knowing glance" when Kate refused peanut butter every paper on the planet announced her pregnancy.
Look, it's going to be their life, may as well relax and enjoy it. However, I guess they will be going the route of the Queen and Philip. Okay, but not very avant-garde. Someone mentioned Haakon and Mette-Marit being in love no matter who is watching - good for them!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #373  
Old 06-17-2012, 09:22 PM
Frelinghighness's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New England, United States
Posts: 2,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Peach View Post
If my own marriage of many years were on such display every week, God only knows what the photos would indicate.
thanks for that LOL
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #374  
Old 06-17-2012, 09:30 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Some City, United States
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
Agree - and I think maybe they are hitting that patch now, maybe - who knows. I think Kate is mature enough - and has the kind of parental support - that will make the long haul possible for her. She also seems to be the kind of woman Camilila is - a bridge-builder.

Given that I am not careful collector of links - and don't pay attention to when and where - I can't supply links but I recall the moments very clearly.

Anyway, first I have heard that this is all about convincing people. It's all in how you 'read' the images. I've just spoke my piece - what I see. Thank you.
I completely agree with you that Kate is like Camilla. Both supportive of their husbands, and probably both the caretaker in the relationship. William certainly needs that after his own relationship with his mother, where he had to take care of her, and then her tragic death. As for Charles, he certainly let the world know he needed a caretaker. I think that they both have very similar temperaments as well, neither of them high strung and both fairly quiet, unassuming women.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #375  
Old 06-17-2012, 09:36 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Some City, United States
Posts: 211
Sometimes it's the couples who put on the biggest romantic shows for the public who have the least stability behind closed doors. Seal and Heidi Klum come to mind as an extreme case.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #376  
Old 06-17-2012, 10:00 PM
DukeOfAster's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pembroke, United States
Posts: 180
HEADLINES!!!! Royal couple like the rest of us. We have fights at times, we roll our eyes, and look the other way. At the end of the day we know who has our back and we love each other.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #377  
Old 06-17-2012, 10:12 PM
CanRoyal's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: West Coast, Canada
Posts: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
....

Given that I am not a careful collector of links - and don't pay attention to when and where - I can't supply links but I recall the moments very clearly. And I've just shown you with the links to this year's Trooping of the Color balcony scene - compare it to last year.

Anyway, first I have heard that this is all about convincing people. It's all in how you 'read' the images. I've just spoke my piece - what I see. Thank you.
I certainly support your position that you are entitled to voice what your opinion is based on photos that you have seen.

However, a person doesn't have to "collect" links - if you can recall the moments clearly, you should be able to find those photos by searching google images.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #378  
Old 06-17-2012, 11:30 PM
Daria_S's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: My own head, United States
Posts: 7,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
I have to agree, too. It's been noticeable because there is clearly more warmth (and relaxation) happening between Kate and Harry and Kate and Camilla than one sees between Kate and William.

Diana always had an issue with Charles not 'being there' for her - for sure in public. It's been a complaint against Charles of not showing emotion - or enough emotion - for the emotional Diana. Hence, this aspect was assiduously studied when William and Kate went on their Canadian Tour last year. Posters were heartened to see William's gestures of 'support' for Kate. William would not be the cold-fish to his wife in public that Charles (supposedly) was to Diana. (An observation I disagree with. I always saw Charles as very gentlemanly with Diana in public).

Now, a mere year into the marriage and we are finding that William is behaving like the privileged upper-class male he is, assuming Kate can now fend for herself and she does not have to be coddled - all laudable but we have also seen 2 or 3 times when William has actually been expressing upset to Kate - in public. That's cool. About what we cannot know (maybe he was joking haha) but Kate was clearly not comfortable, though in one instance Harry, who was near-by, was smiling in the midst of it.

The difference between William's 'support' of Kate last year at the Trooping and this year is marked. This year William and Kate were on the balcony as though they weren't a couple - thank heavens for Lady Louise who gave Kate someone to focus on.

I never had any particular 'feeling' about Kate one way or the other before the wedding - except I thought I sensed she was trying to be too perfect and was displaying deep tenseness - not easy to watch. At the engagement and then through the wedding I started to feel that maybe she wasn't my cup-of-tea - I have had concerns bobbing to the surface. But I've since come to feel compassion for her - and to like her. I also think the BRF and the nation will in times to come have every reason to be grateful to Carole Middleton for the calibre of daughter she raised.

William may not be the kind of man so many are projecting he is. He shares very little and does not seem genuine in front of the camera. I find him covert and resentful in interviews. (As well as being abysmally poorly spoken for a university educated young man). I think he may have more of his Uncle Spencer in him than the Father Windsor side (unfortunately).

P.S. BTW I can't think of any couple we look at on TRF that kisses and cuddles in public.
The only time I actually had to stop and look at the pictures more than once because I thought I saw a scowl on William's face and Catherine looking like she wanted to disappear was on the day of the Jubilee Pageant. When they were walking to the barge (before greeting some of the spectators), William looked like he was fuming (his hands were balled into fists too, so something must have been eating him that afternoon). Catherine looked a bit uncomfortable and when he looked at her, didn't return the gesture. I'm not sure what it means (if anything), but maybe they were both just exhausted. They had some engagements prior to the Jubilee Weekend, so maybe the toll of that was weighing on him, maybe it was his hectic schedule at work, or they could have argued earlier, like any couple. Anything's possible, but I don't know if it necessarily means there's trouble in paradise. Just my own observations, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
It worked. I don't think you meant #198. Clickie Here William is actually physically drawing away from Kate all through that picture series.

We could have dueling snapshots. Your photo shows Kate jollying William. He is in receiving mode - she is getting him to laugh - he is making no effort. However, picture after picture in that stream of photos you have provided show a very separate couple - you could drive a truck through the daylight between them. Here's one or two of many Kate and William at the Trooping 2012. Harry's gesture is interesting.

And then: Trooping 2012 Pic#1,
and Trooping 2012 Pic#2
and Trooping 2012 Pic#3
and Trooping 2012 Pic#4
and Trooping 2012 Pic#5

You get the idea. And this is only one example - I wasn't even expecting to see this level of support for my thesis in this set of pictures.

What is notable is the warmth and ease of Harry and that he winds up being physically closer and comforting towards her in the second series of photos on the balcony when she is in the gold/white dress. In fact I sometimes watch Harry and Kate and wonder if she married the wrong brother.

William and Kate and Harry Pic#1
William and Kate and Harry Pic#2 William's posture is beyond 'shyness'.




Again, this is Kate making William feel good. He is in receiving mode.
What I noticed at Trooping the Colour is that William wasn't really engaging with anyone. He appeared to be somewhere else entirely, and when he was engaging, it was like he was responding to noise. Catherine looked rather stressed, and tired. Again, I'm going to attribute it to being overtired from all the social interactions with people day in and day out and being on display. I know that when I've been in the classroom for a week, I'm so not in the mood to be chatty by Friday afternoon, and it's not unusual that I may snap, or not be as engaging as I'd like to be when talking to someone. William's posture may very well be saying 'I'm ready for some 'me' time' rather than 'my wife's making me ill and I'm annoyed with her'. Same for the balcony appearance on Tuesday of the Jubilee celebrations; he was withdrawn in general, and not really interacting with anyone, and maybe again, due to frustration and wanting to get a break, he decided to step away from Harry and Catherine, whose giggling may have been getting on his nerves. Or, he just wasn't in the mood for anything, period. Again, my observations. I've never seen this couple interact with each other outside of a public engagement, so I don't want to make any assumptions about their private lives. They may very well be in separate bedrooms in Wales, but since that doesn't effect any of their charity works and other official functions, it's their own personal business and decision.
__________________
"My guiding principles in life are to be honest, genuine, thoughtful and caring".
~Prince William~


I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Reply With Quote
  #379  
Old 06-18-2012, 12:03 AM
CrownPrincessJava's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ,, Australia
Posts: 225
What people fail to realise is that a photograph can have 1000 stories. Anyone can interpret emotions from a photograph, but they are static and are not the definitive answer to how someone is feeling. Smiling doesn't in a photo doesn't always constitute happiness in reality.

Unless you have live with the couple, or are closely acquainted with them, no one has an idea what, if any, problems they may have. William may have been having an off day - maybe feeling unwell, tired or he may have had an argument with Kate. Or there may be nothing wrong at all.

As others have stated, Kate does not appear to be one that needs to be surgically attached to her husband's hip. She has clearly been gently introduced to the world of royalty, which is to be expected. William himself stated that he has learned from past mistakes. But she is also a tertiary-educated woman, who has lived. She can keep her own. She has always shown that she is there to support William, both in his career in the RAF and his position in the Royal Family.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #380  
Old 06-18-2012, 01:13 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles CA, United States
Posts: 1,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
The only time I actually had to stop and look at the pictures more than once because I thought I saw a scowl on William's face and Catherine looking like she wanted to disappear was on the day of the Jubilee Pageant. When they were walking to the barge (before greeting some of the spectators), William looked like he was fuming (his hands were balled into fists too, so something must have been eating him that afternoon). Catherine looked a bit uncomfortable and when he looked at her, didn't return the gesture. [...]

[...] What I noticed at Trooping the Colour is that William wasn't really engaging with anyone. He appeared to be somewhere else entirely, and when he was engaging, it was like he was responding to noise. Catherine looked rather stressed, and tired.
What you describe is familiar - it appears it's becoming usual. There could be many reasons, of course - not to mention the situation with Philip - but part of his job is to be a public figure - and with that come some realities. So there you have two more examples of William displaying displeasure publicly. He doesn't really mask it.

I wonder about him overall - I wonder about how close Harry hovers - I do see it as hovering. If one knows anything about the disjunct with their mother, I wonder how much of Diana's modus William carries in how he relates to a spouse. Is he engaging with his spouse in the sorts of ways Diana engaged with hers? It crosses my mind. Especially when I see the disquiet on Kate's face. Has she found herself dealing with something she didn't bargain for? It crosses my mind when I see William's public behavior, hear him speak, watch his interactions.

Living together the way William and Kate did and being married with all the in-laws as part of the equation are very different realities. Kate is making her way and appears to be doing well making connections positively. Does this please William?

Maybe it's none of it the marriage, as you and others suggest. Maybe it's his job - his two jobs, in fact. Maybe it's all the possible changes looming - but royalty always have personal lives that are the background noise to their public duties. Why should William be excused for not maintaining good presence regardless of his personal life issues? Why does suddenly not paying attention to Kate and making sure she is settled in a public setting not important - when once it was so very important?
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Visit to Los Angeles, CA July 8-10, 2011 Zonk The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family 525 07-30-2011 11:59 PM




Popular Tags
abdication belgium birth carl philip charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events fashion germany grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta leonor infanta sofia jewellery jordan king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander letizia luxembourg nobility official visit ottoman pregnancy president hollande prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince daniel prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess astrid princess beatrix princess charlene princess claire princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess mary queen anne-marie queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen silvia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit stockholm sweden the hague visit wedding



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:13 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]