Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family: Married Life

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tyger appears to be saying that Kate is discomfited in William's presence at the moment and having to turn to others for attention and comfort, and that William is clearly upset with her and has shown this publicly. She also suggests that this has been clear on more than one occasion, implying that it's not just them having a little tiff with one another like all couples have but something bigger and deeper.

How can that be anything other than a marriage that's in some sort of difficulty?

I don't think Kate has to turn to others for comfort and attention - I have said she appears more relaxed and happy with others than with William upon occasion. (Meaning: not always). If Kate showed the face she is showing with William sometimes when she is with the Queen you better believe there would be comment.

I have no idea whether William is upset with her - since I cannot hear the dialog - but he for sure does not look happy and Kate is not at ease under his attention.

Yes, thanks to this conversation I have come to the sense that there has been a pattern of this from early on. Kate may like that kind of thing - who knows, the make-ups may be great. Perhaps its a tempestuous union. Cool!

If we all thought alike, what a totally boring world this would be eh? :D

Dead-on! :cool:

Seems there are some potential tabloid writers in here. I can't help but to think the mods are going to have a field day with this thread.

You give me hope - I may have that job waiting for me in Britain yet! Sabbatical Year here I come!

One last thing: of course, it could be Kate who's the annoying one.

Interesting thread. I don't follow William and Kate all that much, they bore me lol. However the one thing that tryly annoys me about William is his always claiming he wants a normal life. Sorry, he's not going to get that, and he just needs to man up and carry on.

Strangely enough I actually think Kate gets that more than Willam.

Yes, and it seems he can behave badly and still be perfect.

Last edited:
I don't care if William wants a normal life or not. Any normal human being who has been through what he has with the media and public would long to be as separated from that as long as possible. I admire him for wanting to be normal yet still going about the job he was given. He is a lot like his grandmother and great grandfather in that way; neither of them wanted the job but they did it anyway, that is a sign of courage and self sacrifice.

Presumably the only thing stopping someone saying Harry's marriage is in trouble is the fact that he's not actually married.

That won't stop the Press lol. All I have to say that if that is truly happening it at least gives them some spice lol. I find them so utterly boring, which might be a good thing.

I floated that William was more like his Uncle Spencer - but maybe he's more like his Grandfather Phillip - maybe he's another Anne, giving everybody 'what for' up there on the balcony.

All this stuff about William being under pressure is as much projection, surmise, rumor, fabrication as anything I am saying. It's a level playing field here. The narrative I hear from everyone - and read respectfully - is as much a conjuring as mine if you would have it so. However, it hangs together - it could be so - though I have to say I do not find the Cambridge's work schedule overwhelming and certainly not tiring for 30 year olds. If 2 weeks of royal duties makes William sufficiently cranky that he is unable to maintain a pleasant demeanor in public, then we have a very interesting future to look forward to, I would say.

William has a full time job that involves running dangerous, lifesaving missions with Search and Rescue. It also involves 24 hour shifts, which means his sleep schedule is disrupted regularly, and his days off are often devoted to Royal obligations. That's actually pretty difficult.

I think it's time for you to familiarize yourself with the concept of Occam's Razor.

amen!!!!!!!!

I second that Amen sounds perfectly reasonable human behaviour to me. Im sure there would have to be some sort of dread about the impending changes that will occur in their future together. :)

William has a full time job that involves running dangerous, lifesaving missions with Search and Rescue. It also involves 24 hour shifts, which means his sleep schedule is disrupted regularly, and his days off are often devoted to Royal obligations. That's actually pretty difficult.

Then he is crabby because his sleep rhythm is off. Sounds good. That's one rumor that will fly and that aligns with the 'official' (fan) narrative that William is a good guy who cannot err, even when the evidence is obvious that he can behave ungentlemanly-like.

I think it's time for you to familiarize yourself with the concept of Occam's Razor.

From some random website -

The Occam’s Razor rule

Stated as: When there are two competing explanations for an event, the simpler one is more likely.

Occam’s Razor, termed by 14th Century logician and friar William of Occam, refers to a concept that states that "Entities should not be multiplied unnecessarily."

To begin with we used Occam's razor to separate theories which would predict the same result for all experiments. Now we are trying to choose between theories which make different predictions. This is not what Occam intended.

The principle of simplicity works as a heuristic rule-of-thumb but some people quote it as if it is an axiom of physics. It is not. It can work well in philosophy or particle physics, but less often so in cosmology or psychology where things usually turn out to be more complicated than you ever expected.

The law of parsimony is no substitute for insight, logic and the scientific method. It should never be relied upon to make or defend a conclusion. As arbiters of correctness only logical consistency and empirical evidence are absolute.

Even Isaac Newton didn’t use Occam’s Razor like the skeptics of today do. His version of it was “We are to admit no more causes of natural things than such as are both true and sufficient to explain their appearances.”

Last edited:
Tyger said:
Firstly, this all began because I was agreeing with a poster that William and Kate do not present as an affectionate couple. The comment the poster made was: it's IMHO quite noticeable that the Cambridge couple is the one which shows the least signs of affection or even warm interaction in public. I agreed. They are friendly but as a couple into each other - the vibe isn't there for some people when they watch them (that's from someone who has pm'd me, too).

And as I said before... "Ok, that's fine. :flowers:

I actually don't think that we're that far apart - William in private moments with Kate - a walk in Kensington Gardens, a walk on the beach with Lupo, at a cousin's wedding or on the polo grounds - do present as an "affectionate couple" - holding hands; linking arms; and with arms around each other is pretty affectionate.

Your links purport to show that during public duties - The 2012 Trooping - they do not present as an affectionate couple (your interpretation). However, the same can probably be said for Sophie and Edward and many other royal couples during official duties. It's just not the BRF's way.

Last edited:
What couples in the BRF have been affectionate? Sarah and Andrew?
If William seems to be showing affection to his wife people on here would say he is putting on an act.
And if Hermione is right about William's schedule when does he ever really get a day off?

What couples in the BRF have been affectionate? Sarah and Andrew?
If William seems to be showing affection to his wife people on here would say he is putting on an act.
And if Hermione is right about William's schedule when does he ever really get a day off?

Zara and Mike show a lot of affection, but I think that's about it. From what I can tell, the BRF is usually a little more reserved when it comes to PDA.

And as I said before... "Ok, that's fine. :flowers:
Your links purport to show that during public duties - The 2012 Trooping - they do not present as an affectionate couple (your interpretation). However, the same can probably be said for Sophie and Edward and many other royal couples during official duties. It's just not the BRF's way.

Yep. On the balcony, none of the couples were particularly engaged with each other. They all seemed to spend more time talking to other people (Prince Philip to the Cambridge's and Prince Edward, Sophia with Camilla and the Queen with Prince Charles). That doesn't mean that any of those couples are in trouble or that they were ignoring each other. They see their spouses every day, so it seems natural that they would branch out and talk to other people.

Last Trooping was Kate's first year in the BRF, so it seems normal that William would be a little more hands on and protective of her. He doesn't need to be that way now because Kate has proven she can hold her own. He doesn't have to constantly check up on her and make sure she's okay.

I also want to add that everyone on the balcony seemed subdued. Sure there were a few laughs, but everyone seemed a bit more serious than at last year's Trooping. Maybe they're all worried about Prince Philip, maybe they're all just tired, who knows. My point is that William's mood didn't seem any different than everyone else's.

Last edited:
Each and everyone of us sees things based on their own reality. Each has had different experiences in life. Lets please not fight over it. We don"t know what is really going on, but maybe in time we will know.

I think that everyone made some good points here. I think it's fine to engage in a discussion and express different opinions. The thing to remember is that unlike some other forums, I don't think there is anyone here who does not wish this couple well, even if they speculate that all is not perfect. I don't read that type of venom in any of the posts here.

I for one wish them many happy years, loads of babies, and serenity in their future roles, even if Will has been a bit of a crab lately. :flowers:

I want to thank Daria_S for the added observations. Yes, he stood there on the balcony like in total disconnect: I saw a scowl on William's face and Catherine looking like she wanted to disappear was on the day of the Jubilee Pageant. [...] I noticed at Trooping the Colour is that William wasn't really engaging with anyone. He appeared to be somewhere else entirely, and when he was engaging, it was like he was responding to noise. Catherine looked rather stressed, and tired.

You're welcome :flowers:. I'm a believer in that statement that a picture is worth a thousand words, and whatever the person is not expressing vocally is definitely being expressed in other fashion. This is not just with William and Catherine, but with anyone. If he's stressing out over what's going on, that's fine, but yes, it's not always appropriate to show one's discontent in public. It looks unprofessional.

I think that everyone made some good points here. I think it's fine to engage in a discussion and express different opinions. The thing to remember is that unlike some other forums, I don't think there is anyone here who does not wish this couple well, even if they speculate that all is not perfect. I don't read that type of venom in any of the posts here.

I for one wish them many happy years, loads of babies, and serenity in their future roles, even if Will has been a bit of a crab lately. :flowers:

I'm with you here. This forum is a lot more friendly to difference of opinion than some others I've previously visited. Like you, I doubt there are people on here who wish to see William and Catherine's marriage fall apart, and that's very nice to see; makes the place a bit less intimidating. I wish them happiness too. Yes, no marriage is perfect and all couples fight, and sometimes it may spill over into one's job, sometimes we just have to grin and bear it. Maybe Wills is at the point where he's so stressed, that the stress is making him a crab at home and on the job. Won't put it past him (or anyone else that has been on public display for the past couple of weeks with more than likely little to no sleep).

Maybe there is a tension because they want children. I hope they aren't having problems. :sad:

Oh good gawd it's like a soap opera all of a sudden. Who's going to start the speculation that The real Kate has been kidnapped and replaced by her evil twin sister, Kimber, whom she never knew existed.

Oh good gawd it's like a soap opera all of a sudden. Who's going to start the speculation that The real Kate has been kidnapped and replaced by her evil twin sister, Kimber, whom she never knew existed.

:lol: Please, Xenia, don't give anyone (the Daily Mail) any ideas!

how can you tell the difference? I think William always looks crabby or scornful to Kate.

This year has seen so many things changing so abruptly: the DoE fell ill twice so the idea of the succession was put forward in full force. Catherine has become an instant success and for the queen, who might still fear that "Queen Camilla" might not go down well with the people might want to make it very public that after Camilla there will be Queen Catherine, so even if you don't like Camilla, you could still like the idea of a herediary monarchy...

Thus, there might be more pressure on William and Catherine to devote more time tp Royal duties than was planned last year. William has just finished his education as a SAR-officer and must now decide between actually working as a professional commanding pilot of his craft (which was what he wanted all along) and Royal duties. Plus there is the question of them becoming parents. The pressure must be enormous. Who knows if they didn't think that they should let nature/God/Fate decide how to choose: career plus Royal duties on the one hand, family and Royal duties on the other and Catherine got her monthly bleeding, so that they are disappointed? Not in each other, but with fate?

There are so many possibilities! But one thing is absolutely sure in my mind (to slightly alter a quote by Shakespeare): Doubt thou the stars are fire;
Doubt that the sun doth move;
Doubt truth to be a liar;
But never doubt he loves (Catherine).

I also have doubts, although really there is no cause for the Cambridges to wait any longer (they need an heir and Kate is not getting any younger).

I know it's said they will wait because of the tour in the autumn, but there will always be a royal tour somewhere, so they shouldn't delay any longer.

Whilst this topic, like the Mary one, will be cut off rather sharpish I imagine. My two pennies would be that there is no need for an heir right this minute. As anyone would know age isn't particularly a problem in the world of pregnancy nowadays so I don't see why this couple cannot enjoy married life for a few years.

We've heard that the couple want a family, let them decide or let it be a surprise. Whenever it occurs no magazine will have the news before BP will.

I think age is a problem; chances of conceiving naturally decline in the thirties.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, there's too much reading into the pictures that there need be. Those cameras are constantly snapping away and caught bad pictures of William who seems to be "unhappy" with Kate and Kate looks "sad." For goodness sake, they're watching planes fly by!

Kate's only 30, and obviously keeps fit and healthy. I don't think they need to worry just yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they are enjoying they are trying to get settled before jumping into baby planning. Not to be negated is that they are virtually living between 2 homes, the jubilee, the olympics, a jubilee tour on behalf of the Queen and moving into a new home that is undergoing major renovations. Even for a couple with their support system and means, this would have been a hectic year to be pregnant and having a child. I do think there will be an announcement by the new year with a new royal baby in 2013.

I think age is a problem; chances of conceiving naturally decline in the thirties.

According to What Is The Best Age for Getting Pregnant?, fertility starts to decline at age 25/26. :eek: Kate is already behind the proverbial 8 ball. ;)

But, declines rapidly after 35. I think she's in pretty good shape to get pregnant without too much help from doctor's.

Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden gave birth to Estelle at the age of 34.

The decline in fertility in Kate's age group is small.

Last edited:
I'm 27 and not only have no children but no man in my life with whom I would want to have any. You're all making me feel like a spinster!

Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden gave birth to Estelle at the age of 34.

The decline in fertility in Kate's age group is small.

Not to mention Princess Mary started having children at 33 (the twins were born when she was a month shy of 39). Princess Marie also had her first at 33 and little Athena was born when she was at 36.

In fact, it seems the majority of the younger royal wives (Letizia, Mette-Marit, Maxima, Mathilde) were in their 30's when they gave birth to their first or second child.

So I think there's plenty of time for Kate to start a family.

Last edited:
I'm 27 and not only have no children but no man in my life with whom I would want to have any. You're all making me feel like a spinster!

EIIR, you have loads of time. I'm 44 and planning my first wedding. Course we don't want kids so that isn't an issue for us. Nevertheless, you will find your Mr. Right. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom