The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-12-2011, 11:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britters View Post
In the military here in the states if a soldier/military man is 'deployed' for an extended training session where it's not considered a danger for the family to move, the family can choose to move of their own accord. The military won't pay for it, and the military won't make the changes to the pay of the service member to reflect a change in location.

In other words if the soldier is moved to Texas for less than 6 months of training and the wife wishes to join him, it's on their own dime. The military could care less if the family is there (if it's safe), so long as the service member is able to continue doing their job.

Perhaps this is the case with the UK forces?
I sincerely hope not. I shouldn't think the Falklands would run to "lonely wives accommodation". Anyway, it would not be a good look for the Duchess if she couldn't hack a miserable six weeks without her husband. I was going to say "alone" but, compared with other military wives, she has more support than anyone else!

The notion of her going with him is a total nonsense and would not serve either the interests of his career or the BRF.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:07 AM
Courtier

My brother and sister in law had been married only 6 months when he received training deployment orders in Korea for 4 months. Rather than be separated so early in their marriage, they worked it out so she could move (on their own dime) to Korea for the same time period.

In a new marriage, I see no reason why, if it's within the limits of the law (allowed by Command, of course) and safe, a wife should not be able to go. Now, I'm not saying I think Kate is going, or that she can't handle the separation, but we were discussing whether she was going or not, and I wondered if the UK services operated similarly to that of the US forces. No big deal.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:41 AM
Courtier

As I stated before, the reason why no partners are going is length of time. The deployment is for 6weeks-2months which is too short. The US military appears to allow family to move over, going by your brother's experience, for 4 months or more -- but that's double the time William will be in the Falklands.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:28 PM
Courtier

If my brother were only gone 6-8 weeks and my SiL wanted to join him, she'd be free to do so on her own dime.
I do understand what you are saying, and given their past relationship I can hardly see Kate feeling the need to follow William to the Falklands for that small an amount of time. Certainly she can find something to occupy her time for those weeks.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:51 PM
Courtier

6 weeks is only 1.5 months. I can't imagine Catherine going with him for that short amount of time. Despite what some people think, I feel quite certain that she has a lot going on behind the scenes with staff preparing her for her new role. This will be the best opportunity for her to stay in London and really focus on that preperation without the back and forth trips between London and Wales.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

I could have sworn that being stationed meant you were going to be there for awhile, not 6wks, that sounds more like a visit or layover than being stationed. I also don't see a problem with a new wife wanting to follow her husband if he is going to be gone for over a month. Will Kate probably follow him I doubt it, from what I have read she has experience with him being absent for a time, this one will just be longer.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 11-15-2011, 11:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

Initially, William was going to be gone for 12 weeks, so some concession has already been made.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:33 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Initially, William was going to be gone for 12 weeks, so some concession has already been made.
We don't know that any concession has been made. As an Air Force brat I can vouch that military plans change all the time. One day it's a 12 week assignment, the next day it's a 6 week assignment. Regardless of who the serviceman is.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

Of course there are going to be concessions. Back in late '07, he was allowed to shorten his initial 6 month training course to 4 months. That is a concession. William will become head of the Military Forces. This isn't the first time a royal has been fast-tracked and it won't be the last. Anyone thinking otherwise is mistaken.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Is everyone else on his crew going for 12 weeks and him just for 6?
Old 11-15-2011, 04:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

No, he and three others will be going for six weeks. http://ca.news.yahoo.com/prince-will...180758445.html

Not sure if the other 8 squadron members will be going at all.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:54 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Of course there are going to be concessions. Back in late '07, he was allowed to shorten his initial 6 month training course to 4 months. That is a concession. William will become head of the Military Forces. This isn't the first time a royal has been fast-tracked and it won't be the last. Anyone thinking otherwise is mistaken.
Can you prove that a concession for William has been made in this case for William's service to be cut by 6 weeks? William's enthusiasm to serve his country makes me highly doubt that he would allow any concessions to be made towards him.

Edit:

The article you provided says this

Quote:
"This deployment forms part of a normal squadron crew rotation and will form part of Flight Lieutenant Wales' training and career progression as a Search and Rescue pilot within the RAF."
He will be part of a four-person crew.
If it's a normal squadron crew rotation, than where is the concession to normality?
Old 11-15-2011, 06:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

I can't, of course, prove anything. It is discussion, speculation and any other descriptive one would use for any thread in this forum.

You might be right; then again, so might I. I'm just going from the concession William received earlier when the course was 6 months and he didn't do 6 months.

I'm not out to prove anything, but I will bring things up with which you may not agree.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I've seen it stated so many times that William wants to be treated as any other member of his squadron would be. Last year he even was on station for Christmas Day as it is customary for single men to do so and allow those with wives and families to be home with them.

I'm sure that when scheduling times for shifts on base, perhaps some of William's upcoming events and such are taken into consideration but that would probably work too with say another guy (or gal) having requests for off times around a birth of a baby, a death in the family and any other thing that comes up.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Prince William, Kate Middleton Anniversary of Their Engagement : People.com
Old 11-17-2011, 09:25 AM
Heir Apparent

And it won't be too long before they celebrate their first wedding anniversary.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:54 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
And it won't be too long before they celebrate their first wedding anniversary.
No, definitely not. Time certainly does fly.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Just got back from the Supermarket and laughed my head off at the headlines on the magazines in the checkout lane. One of the mags was trumpeting Will and Kate's first big fight! Apparently she's throwing her toys out of the cot at him going away for six whole weeks! Yeah, right!
Old 11-29-2011, 10:59 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Just got back from the Supermarket and laughed my head off at the headlines on the magazines in the checkout lane. One of the mags was trumpeting Will and Kate's first big fight! Apparently she's throwing her toys out of the cot at him going away for six whole weeks! Yeah, right!
Must be a real slow day in the 'news rooms' of the gossip rags .

Old 12-08-2011, 11:01 AM
Majesty

Not sure if this should go here, so do feel free to move if necessary.

Kate Middleton and Prince William reveal they're massive X Factor fans - mirror.co.uk