Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family: Married Life

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I um I think I got it but still feel very very confused and am not sure lol

Thank you to all who have given an explanation of this. It's appreciated.

Wow. After reading the few posts after mine, I feel silly lol. I thought I had it pegged lol...

On Prince Charles marriage certificate, he is listed as His Royal Highness Prince Charles Philip Arthur George, The Prince of Wales, but he just signed it Charles.

Documents Signatures: The Royals just sign their first names. The Queen signs Elizabeth R.

William used William Wales for school, St Andrews and in the Military. Both Wills and Harry's flight suits are marked Wales. During the palace wedding lunch, Wills introduced Kate as Mrs Wales so I would imagine if they are at a RAF function where Wills is in his Flight Lieutant William Wales role (not HRH Duke of Cambridge) Kate would be Mrs William Wales.

As for her drivers license, it probably still says Catherine Elizabeth Middleton if she still had a couple years left on it why go thru the hassle of changing it if the British version of the DMV are anything like the horrible DMVs in America.

Documents Signatures: The Royals just sign their first names. The Queen signs Elizabeth R.

William used William Wales for school, St Andrews and in the Military. Both Wills and Harry's flight suits are marked Wales. During the palace wedding lunch, Wills introduced Kate as Mrs Wales so I would imagine if they are at a RAF function where Wills is in his Flight Lieutant William Wales role (not HRH Duke of Cambridge) Kate would be Mrs William Wales.

As for her drivers license, it probably still says Catherine Elizabeth Middleton if she still had a couple years left on it why go thru the hassle of changing it if the British version of the DMV are anything like the horrible DMVs in America.

What does the R stand for?

Im very sorry but Im still really confused im trying to understand this but am just soooo very confused again

I thought it was Rex. Elizabeth Rex. Im not sure what that means but maybe Im wrong. And in Spanish REINA means Queen. :)

I thought it was Rex. Elizabeth Rex. Im not sure what that means but maybe Im wrong. And in Spanish REINA means Queen. :)

Its Regina, the latin word for Queen.

eg Juan Carlos of Spain will sign "Juan Carlos R" with R standing for Rex, latin word for King.

I am not sure this is the right place for this. Please feel free to move it if necessary.

Kate and William's Affection

A "veteran courtier" is mentioned in this article. What exactly is a courtier? Is it someone who works for the royal family or someone who exists in their social sphere so to speak?

Thanks in advance.

Well, I guess the modern courtier in today's royal courts performs updated functions of a role that goes back to antiquated times.

While they were dating William and Kate avoided public displays of the affection for the most part. You got the rare hug and kiss on the slopes or a polo match via the paparazzi. Remember what raise the alarm with the press before the engagment was announced - they attended a wedding together not arriving separately as the normally did. Since then, we get them touching each other all the time. It isn't over the top but hands on the back, or the knee, etc. Its nice to see.

I wish William & Kate all the best, I really do. I'm jealous to the core, but I wish them the best. :D However, I do get irritated by people comparing William and Charles as husbands. It is much easier to be a supportive spouse to someone who is healthy and well vs. otherwise. That's all I wanted to say.

While they were dating William and Kate avoided public displays of the affection for the most part. You got the rare hug and kiss on the slopes or a polo match via the paparazzi. Remember what raise the alarm with the press before the engagment was announced - they attended a wedding together not arriving separately as the normally did. Since then, we get them touching each other all the time. It isn't over the top but hands on the back, or the knee, etc. Its nice to see.

I think it's the subtlety of their displays of affection that makes the acts endearing. I'm a firm believer in 'less is more' approach in this case, because in love, it's the little gestures that are so telling. The smiles and looks that pass between them say more than a fancy love poem or an expensive gift. I hope that they keep this aspect of their relationship for the rest of their lives.

I think it's the subtlety of their displays of affection that makes the acts endearing. I'm a firm believer in 'less is more' approach in this case, because in love, it's the little gestures that are so telling. The smiles and looks that pass between them say more than a fancy love poem or an expensive gift. I hope that they keep this aspect of their relationship for the rest of their lives.
They, like Victoria and Daniel, spent 10 or so years not touching or even letting their eyes meet in public. Now they are married they can give a loving look or touch without being OTT and without hitting the front pages!

Funny how affection is a thing of perception, I was thinking that Kate & William were not that affectionate in public. It was so good to see the beach/puppy casual pictures recently with Kate's hand on his back.

Please note that off topic posts regarding Diana have been deleted.

I think they have always had quite an old fashioned relationship, from the beginning: William is the boss and Kate does what he wants her to do. There are a million examples over the years, just to name two, Kate not working in order to be available for Williams needs, and whenever they split up it was William who decided to split and get back together.
William is more royal (in the Windsor-Mountabatten sense) and less Spencer ("normal", the alledged Diana "down to earth" heritage) than people think.
He clearly is the dominant person in the relationship, I cant recall HIM - noticable for the public - doing any sacrifice or commitment for Kate, that was always her part. My guess is that he is quite a difficult personality and Kate has always and will always put up with it, she will please him. And she doesnt look uncomforable while doing it, good for her. I hope it stays that way because I dont see William flexible in that respect at all. He only married Kate when he knew that she was brought completely into line - HIS line.

I thought Kate was the one who split up... As for Will being the dominant force in their relationship. Most relationships have one dominant force. Sometimes it’s the woman and sometimes the man. As long as they are happy it doesn’t matter.

In the engagement interview they confirmed that they had split up (more than once) and that William did and that Kate didnt agree at the time and that it was hard on her (but on the positive side it made her a grown person bla bla bla :whistling: part of the process of bringing her into line).

I think they have always had quite an old fashioned relationship, from the beginning: William is the boss and Kate does what he wants her to do. There are a million examples over the years, just to name two, Kate not working in order to be available for Williams needs, and whenever they split up it was William who decided to split and get back together.
William is more royal (in the Windsor-Mountabatten sense) and less Spencer ("normal", the alledged Diana "down to earth" heritage) than people think.
He clearly is the dominant person in the relationship, I cant recall HIM - noticable for the public - doing any sacrifice or commitment for Kate, that was always her part. My guess is that he is quite a difficult personality and Kate has always and will always put up with it, she will please him. And she doesnt look uncomforable while doing it, good for her. I hope it stays that way because I dont see William flexible in that respect at all. He only married Kate when he knew that she was brought completely into line - HIS line.

I have to say, there's some pretty vivid imagination being used by lots of people when it comes to William and Kate. Where is the proof that Kate didn't work? From what I understand, she worked for her parents' company, as her sister and brother currently do. Lots and lots of children whose parents have successful businesses end up working for their parents.

We are unlikely ever to know what their relationship is really like, or what prompted the break up. All royal/commoner relationships are unequal, by definition. Every commoner, who's had a relationship with an heir to the throne particularly, has had to make sacrifices to fit in with the royal's lifestyle and responsibilities. Kate's no different in that.

What I will say is, William has been very protective of Kate over the years. He's been very supportive of her in her transition to royal life. He gets on brilliantly with her family, and includes them in their married life. Of course he takes the lead in the official parts of their relationship - he's been a royal all his life, knows the ropes and will one day be sovereign. They seem to each bring certain qualities to the relationship that makes them happy to be with one another. No relationship lasts as long as their's has, with of course the common ups and downs that all relationships have, if they're not both getting what they want and need from the relationship.

I tend to agree with a lot of what the Duke of Marmalade says about the relationship, but I also think that EIIR is very correct when she says:
EIIR said:
What I will say is, William has been very protective of Kate over the years. He's been very supportive of her in her transition to royal life. He gets on brilliantly with her family, and includes them in their married life. Of course he takes the lead in the official parts of their relationship - he's been a royal all his life, knows the ropes and will one day be sovereign. They seem to each bring certain qualities to the relationship that makes them happy to be with one another. No relationship lasts as long as their's has, with of course the common ups and downs that all relationships have, if they're not both getting what they want and need from the relationship.
To that end, I think he asks for and listens to her opinions. However, I do think whenever the discussion is concluded, she follows his lead as he usually has the final say. Although not to my personal taste as to how a relationship should be conducted, I recognize that it's likely that because they are members of the BRF, this will benefit them - as a couple - in the years to come.

I'm sure that when big decisions have to be made William probably takes the reins. But, royal relationships are never an equal partnership. William has been royal his whole life; has experience and the understanding of the institution and how it works. He has clout.

I'd say it's probably not unlike the Queen and Philip's relationship. The Queen is the head of the firm; Philip doesn't have the power that she does. I'm sure HM consults him, but she is sovereign and will make the ultimate decisions. Their relationship has survived this imbalance because while the Queen is head of the institution, Philip is very much head of the family. I think William and Kate will end up with their own particular roles within their marriage which will hopefully satisfy them both.

Not all women are really career focussed, even in 2012. One or two of my friends with whom I studied law at uni are killing their time in jobs they're not passionate about, but look forward to becoming essentially full time wives and mothers. I don't feel that way, but I don't look down on people who do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom