The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-21-2014, 06:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Duchess of Cambridge: What now for Catherine? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

I have always defended Kate when it comes to working, but I admit it's getting harder to do so. Not so much for William, to me it looks like he has been working or working toward something since St Andrews.

Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-21-2014, 06:53 PM
Nobility

Compared to Sophie Wessex's figures for her first few years of being a working royal, Kate's numbers are embarrassingly low. In Sophie's first year she did 125, second year 354, and third year 175 royal engagements. I am starting to wonder what Kate actually do all day (aside from childcare).

On another point, I assume William's new flying job will only be til his father is King, however at this point, what will William actual be expected to do as DoC/Pow? The same as Charles does now?

Old 07-21-2014, 09:39 PM
Serene Highness - Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden View Post
Wow a woman who worked full-time and still managed to carry out so many royal duties! The crazy inhuman qualities of someone who's husband is not heir. How also did she manage once she had children?
Oh and stop talking about apples and oranges we are not talking about fruit, we are talking about people doing their share of work! Who they are, what sex they are, title they have is all irrelevant to the quantity and quality of work they provide.
Well, Sophie didn't up her engagements until after her kids were older. There was only one year where she did 300 engagements. While her kids were little, she was doing less than 180 engagements a year.

It's not like Kate has done nothing. Her first year she lived in Wales so I wouldn't expect her count to be high - she did 34 engagements. The number for her second year (111) was about on par with Sophie's and last year she was pregnant (and sick) - she did 42.

I think over the next two years, we'll be able to get a more accurate picture of the type of numbers that Kate will be putting in.

I didn't mention anything about apples and oranges, so I assume that remark wasn't meant for me.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:05 PM
Serene Highness

If people are comparing royals, it is only fair to compare them similar situations. William and Kate don't have a modern royal equivalent. Comparing William and Kate to William's parents when he was the same age as George isn't a fair comparison since they were already Prince & Princess of Wales. Also comparing Sophie of today to Kate of today isn't fair either because Sophie's kids are schooled aged and George is only one. They also don't have a continental royal equivalents since people such as Fred and Mary, Victoria and Daniel etc are the next in line.

If you look back over 100 years to the last adult heir to the heir- the future George V, he basically hunted and collected stamps whiled holed up at York cottage at Sandringham.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 07-21-2014, 10:05 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
Well, Sophie didn't up her engagements until after her kids were older. There was only one year where she did 300 engagements. While her kids were little, she was doing less than 180 engagements a year.

It's not like Kate has done nothing. Her first year she lived in Wales so I wouldn't expect her count to be high - she did 34 engagements. The number for her second year (111) was about on par with Sophie's and last year she was pregnant (and sick) - she did 42.

I think over the next two years, we'll be able to get a more accurate picture of the type of numbers that Kate will be putting in.

I didn't mention anything about apples and oranges, so I assume that remark wasn't meant for me.

No apples and oranges was mentioned previously :)
Old 07-22-2014, 04:22 AM
Gentry

I have always liked Camilla she is a woman to be admired!
Thanks for the comparison of Anne and Diana, it just goes to show that some people are born with a different set of work ethics and don't need it shouted from mountain tops.
All the exclamations that HM will & can force Wills to do what he should kind of seems feeble and makes one wonder, what one thinks of ones work ethics and ones wife's work ethics? Maybe Malta is not a request from the Queen?
Old 07-22-2014, 05:37 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post

Sophie's first two years as a working royal was also while she was running her own business and thus she was holding down a full-time job and she managed way more than Kate.

My figures for Sophie in 2000 - her first full year as a royal having married in 1999 - are 120 and as I said she was also running a business.

Kate's figures for 2012 - her first full year which was a Jubilee and Olympics year as well seeing everyone's numbers up - using my figures about the same at 123 but she wasn't trying to hold down a full time job as well as Sophie did in her first full year.

Comparing 2001 for Sophie to 2013 for Kate (again Sophie was still working full time for her PR firm) Sophie did 125 while Kate did 44 partly because she was pregnant.

So let's look at the first year after having their first child to do a comparison - Kate in the last 12 months has done 85 (16 from the birth of George until the end of 2013 and 69 up to last Thursday) while Sophie - who almost died having Louise - did nearly 100 more at 173. That is probably a fair comparison as it covers the 12 months from the birth of each mother's first child and only those 12 months. They are telling figures, especially given the problems Sophie had in giving birth.

That is also comparing oranges with oranges as it is a comparison of the same time period after the same event - the birth of the first child and the year that followed.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:37 AM
Gentry

The Duke of Cambridge: What Now for William? Future Duties, Roles & Responsib...

The role all the royal families perform separates them from vapid heiresses and other reality TV drama queens with more money than class! If this means we expect an example to be set for a generation brought up on a steady diet of leaked sex tapes, bikini selfies and numerous marriages then I expect too much! It would be nice to have traditional, classy families with values that can be an example to this generation!!
And if this includes the words "work ethics" then guilty as charged! Let's separate the Hilton/Kardashian's from the real heirs or heir-of-the-heir.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:41 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think the bottom line is that every member of the royal family works more than Kate no matter which job they are working at.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:42 PM
Serene Highness

Duchess of Cambridge: What now for Catherine? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

What if the Duchess of Cambridge has no ambition for a public role and solely wants to be a loving wife to the Duke and a devoted mother to the infant prince? It is not that she has to "deliver" something, she is only the Duchess because she married the Duke. There is no contract or something.

In the old days the Countess of Grantham, let alone her mother-in-law the Dowager Countess would not even think about working. Work? Isn't that why we have all that staff for? In those days the duties of such a lady were at her House and to manage the often formidable Household.

For an example Camilla, when she has a public role, she often has a fantastic interaction with the audience. When I see her however, I have the feeling that she loves Charles and his boys, that she is a soul-mate, but that the public outings are not her favourite. When she has to, she does it wonderfully, but I have the feeling she prefers to arrange things at Clarence, St James or Highgrove, to give her attention to the boys, to Catherine and the grandson, to enjoy a nice walk in the nature, etc. But when she chooses that way, she will be burned in media as lazy and whatever. In some sort of way the royals are slaves to the merciless scrutiny of media.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:11 PM
Majesty

The difference between an aristocratic lady and a royal lady is that the royal ladies are expected to do charity work while aristocratic ladies can do other things if they wish.

The public have come to expect charity work from their royals and the royal ladies have been delivering on that side of the 'contract' for generations.

For the perks they get they are expected to give a return and being a wife and mother isn't enough. If that is what Kate wanted for her life she should have turned down William's proposal and found herself another man who could let her be a stay-at-home mum but for a royal woman that isn't an option.

Kate is also married to the future King so the expectations are even greater than say on Sophie who is only married to the 8th in line and he will only drop further or The Duchess of Gloucester who is now married to the 22nd although he was 8th when they married but she understood that in marrying Richard she would be expected to do some charity work and after the death of her brother-in-law and then father-in-law was expected to do even more - as did the Duchess of Kent.

Kate's personal wishes aren't relevant as she didn't just marry a man but a position and a job - that of being a royal wife and public engagements are expected from her for the rest of her life - just as Camilla has shown - they aren't what she necessarily wanted to do with her life but her love for Charles means that she was prepared to embrace them as part of the marriage contract and Kate will have to step up.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:50 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The difference between an aristocratic lady and a royal lady is that the royal ladies are expected to do charity work while aristocratic ladies can do other things if they wish.

The public have come to expect charity work from their royals and the royals ladies have been delivering on that side of the 'contract' for generations.

For the perks they get they are expected to give a return and being a wife and mother isn't enough. If that is what Kate wanted for her life she should have turned down William's proposal and found herself another man who could let her be a stay-at-home mum but for a royal woman that isn't an option.

Kate is also married to the future King so the expectations are even greater than say on Sophie who is only married to the 8th in line and he will only drop further or The Duchess of Gloucester who is now married to the 22nd although he was 8th when they married but she understood that in marrying Richard she would be expected to do some charity work and after the death of her brother-in-law and then father-in-law was expected to do even more - as did the Duchess of Kent.

Kate's personal wishes aren't relevant as she didn't just marry a man but a position and a job - that of being a royal wife and public engagements are expected from her for the rest of her life - just as Camilla has shown - they aren't what she necessarily wanted to do with her life but her love for Charles means that she was prepared to embrace them as part of the marriage contract and Kate will have to step up.
That's it in a nutshell.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post

The public have come to expect charity work from their royals and the royals ladies have been delivering on that side of the 'contract' for generations.

QFT
Kate just can't be a wife a mother, she is married to a prince who is supposed to be king one day. I get the sense that Kate may not be a career driven person, she does not seem as ambitious as the other members of her family to work at something. She might be a Camilla type person, only wanted to be a wife and mother and now has to work because of the man she loves. Camilla has progressed well, Kate not so much but I'm hoping it will get better.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:35 PM
Nobility

She knew what was expected of her
She will never have a normal life
It's a long road for her
She has adjusted very well,but.but.but there will be more and more
Old 07-22-2014, 06:43 PM
Majesty

From what I've seen, Catherine loves carrying out her royal engagements and she's settled pretty nicely in her royal role. Of course there's still room for her to grow in her role. At some point (hopefully in the not so distant future) she'll be taking on honorary military appointments, presenting Colours on Her Majesty's behalf and even she'll be taking on charitable presidencies. At the moment, not a great deal of responsibility been handed down to her as a senior royal. Catherine representing The Queen on her solo trip to Malta seems to be the very beginning of her taking on more responsibility as third lady of the land.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 07-23-2014, 12:49 AM
Commoner

^^ Let's hope she can manage to keep her bottom covered up on her next trip!

I have been a huge fan of the Duchess until recently. The dress fly-ups have made me start to re-think that. She knows very well it's a continuing problem, and she knows there are solutions. Yet she continues to risk flashing the world. Why?

Then I started looking at her engagements. I applauded her and the Royal family for starting her off slowly, but honestly, it's been more than 3 years. If anything, she seems to be slowing down. She hasn't done a public engagement since the weekend of July 5-6, when she appeared at two sports events. Prior to that, there were only one or two after the Australia/New Zealand trip.

Which got me to thinking... her "job" is to promote her charities. If we exclude the fun sports events and glamorous movie premieres, as well as non-negotiable Royal Family appearances such as Trooping the Colors -- how many charity engagements is she really doing? Does anyone know?
Old 07-23-2014, 01:10 AM
Serene Highness

In the US we see that the one First Lady has an active public role (Michelle Obama) and an another chose more for 'the wife behind the screens' role (Barbara Bush).

In my country we see the same: Mme Bernadette Chirac was a far more active Première Dame de France than Mme Carla Bruni-Sarkozy who did not develop an own independent role as Première Dame.

I think all must be open for consorts. Not all of them have the same desire for an outspoken public role. If Catherine wants a more restraint image than, let's say, Diana who had the maximum spotlight, that must be possible and no reason to nail her in media.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:45 AM
Royal Highness

How many patronages etc. are available to her at the moment ? There are quite a few senior royals who maintain their existing commitments and these will become available in time. If Catherine amasses quite a few new patronages at this stage, she will be unable to take on the ones which will eventually become vacant and by tradition have a senior role as their patron. It has been stated before that we do not know much about the private visits that occur, but we know they do happen. I am as keen as anyone to see the Duchess out and about more, but I don't put this down to any aversion to carry out her royal duties .

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 07-23-2014, 03:50 AM
Courtier

I expect given the choice, the Duchess would just like a quiet life in the countryside.

Who decides if she takes on Royal Engagements? I'm sure the Queen keeps well out of it. So I expect the Palace Advisers advise her. But in the end its up to her what she chooses to do. Any pressure, William will come down hard on that, as he is very protective of her. At the end of the day they will do what they feel is best for them.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:12 AM
Majesty

Even if that isn't the best for the nation - that is the difference between William and The Queen - she doesn't always do what is best for her or what she wants to do but what she knows she has to do and what is best for the nation - she, and Charles, have a sense of duty that seems lacking in William and even more so in Kate.