Duchess of Cambridge: What Now for Catherine? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
II know a lot of my friends on here may disagree with me, but I think Catherine would do a wonderful job as an allied-Colonel in Chief of the Princess of Wales Royal Regiment. A role she would share with Queen Margrethe II of Denmark. She would be able to be to visit the Canadian branch of the regiment as well.

Kate is not Princess of Wales so it would be odd to be given the position of Colonel in Chief of the Princess of Wales Royal Regiment.

Maybe I am wrong and that she will after all attend certain engagements whilst William works.

She already does. About 30% of her engagements are solo and deal with her interests.

.... but I think Catherine would do a wonderful job as an allied-Colonel in Chief of the Princess of Wales Royal Regiment. A role she would share with Queen Margrethe II of Denmark. She would be able to be to visit the Canadian branch of the regiment as well.

Kate is not Princess of Wales so it would be odd to be given the position of Colonel in Chief of the Princess of Wales Royal Regiment.

.... especially as we already have a Princess of Wales at the moment.

Catherine's Malta trip (that never happened)was scheduled before she got pregnant. At this point you will need to schedule in this baby and maternity leave.

You don't need to be Princess of Wales to be Colonel in Chief of the Regiment. The Regiment only named themselves that in honor of their then Colonel, Diana in 1992.

They haven't had a British royal Colonel since 1996. I think it would be nice for Catherine to be appointed as it's Colonel in Chief.

You don't need to be Princess of Wales to be Colonel in Chief of the Regiment. The Regiment only named themselves that in honor of their then Colonel, Diana in 1992.

They haven't had a British royal Colonel since 1996. I think it would be nice for Catherine to be appointed as it's Colonel in Chief.

It would be quite odd, IMO, to replace the Royal Colonel for the Princess of Wales regiment, with somebody who is not a Princess of Wales (Catherine), when there is an existing Princess of Wales (Camilla). When Daisy took the patronage on, there were no other suitable candidates.

It would be quite odd, IMO, to replace the Royal Colonel for the Princess of Wales regiment, with somebody who is not a Princess of Wales (Catherine), when there is an existing Princess of Wales (Camilla). When Daisy took the patronage on, there were no other suitable candidates.

Well, I doubt Camilla will take on the role and she already have several appointments. I think it would be good for Catherine to take up the role and she is a future Princess of Wales. Also, Catherine wouldn't be replacing anyone, she would be an Allied-Colonel in Chief of the regiment.

Well, I doubt Camilla will take on the role and she already have several appointments. I think it would be good for Catherine to take up the role and she is a future Princess of Wales. Also, Catherine wouldn't be replacing anyone, she would be an Allied-Colonel in Chief of the regiment.

IMO, this one can wait till she is Princess of Wales. If anybody should take on an association with the regiment, it should be Camilla. It will soon be 10 years from when she became Princess of Wales.

IMO, this one can wait till she is Princess of Wales. If anybody should take on an association with the regiment, it should be Camilla. It will soon be 10 years from when she became Princess of Wales.

I really don't think Camilla will take up the role. I'd be surprised if she did. Camilla isn't officially known as The Princess of Wales. It's Catherine that will likely go by the title. Outside the title association, I think it would be a great regiment for Catherine to get involved with.

Last edited:
I really don't think Camilla will take up the role. I'd be surprised if she did. Camilla isn't officially known as The Princess of Wales. It's Catherine that will likely go by the title. Outside the title association, I think it would be a great regiment for Catherine to get involved with.

So let's wait until the Duchess of Cambridge is Princess of Wales, so she'll be able to take up the role.

I'm sure there are other regiments for her.

I think if Catherine took the role on whilst Camilla was Princess of Wales, it would be a real slight to her.

So let's wait until the Duchess of Cambridge is Princess of Wales, so she'll be able to take up the role.

I'm sure there are other regiments for her.

I completely agree with you. When Princess of Wales, Catherine can take the role on.

I think if Catherine took the role on whilst Camilla was Princess of Wales, it would be a real slight to her.

I completely agree with you. When Princess of Wales, Catherine can take the role on.

I have a feeling that neither Her Majesty, nor the Prince of Wales would allow that to happen. It's quite obvious that they want Catherine to be in the background.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I have a feeling that neither Her Majesty, nor the Prince of Wales would allow that to happen. It's quite obvious that they want Catherine to be in the background.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

You know, I hadn't previously considered the perspective that it might be Charles pushing for a light schedule for Kate, but it resonates as probably true. The media always writes it up as the Queen wanting to give them time to be normal, but I really do think what happened to Diana badly scared Charles- the mania and total obsession with her. I imagine he cares enough about Catherine to want to protect her from that, and he knows better than most how media works- he knows the only way to avoid it is to give them nothing to talk about.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

It's certain that William is scared from what happened to his mother and wants to protect Kate from that. I think not much goes on where that is not taken into consideration..to include the fact that she does a lot of recycling of clothing and keeps the profile low.

LaRae

We have compared Kate's numbers to other women who had children in the BRF and her numbers are in the same range as her MIL and Sophie.

There is no master plan because xyz happened only because William is not a fulltime royal and Kate is busy having children.

Hopefully baby George will emulate his grandad and great grandparents' work ethic in the future.

William and Catherine have seniority because of the position that William holds in the royal family.

It has been written, however truthful or not, that Catherine was told she had to curtsey to Beatrice and Eugenie because they are born royal and Catherine is just married to a royal. If that is the case, then Beatrice and Eugenie should be carrying out many more duties as true royals than Catherine is expected to do. It can't be both ways. Catherine can't be more senior but less royal. Plus, neither of the York girls have a child(ren) to care for as Catherine does. Being George's mom should be the highest priority duty she has.

It has been written, however truthful or not, that Catherine was told she had to curtsey to Beatrice and Eugenie because they are born royal and Catherine is just married to a royal. If that is the case, then Beatrice and Eugenie should be carrying out many more duties as true royals than Catherine is expected to do. It can't be both ways. Catherine can't be more senior but less royal. Plus, neither of the York girls have a child(ren) to care for as Catherine does. Being George's mom should be the highest priority duty she has.

I think you've hit on something important, but maybe not for the reason you said it. If Camilla and Kate have to curtsy to Beatrice and Eugenie because they are born Royal, then Beatrice and Eugenie should be given more Royal duties or at least the charitable work they do should be mentioned in the Court Circular. And if they are not going to be treated as working Royals, the others shouldn't have to curtsy to them. I think The Queen made a big mistake making them HRHs and then changing with the wind and deciding to not give them Royal duties. Having made the decision to make them HRHs, she should have stuck with it for the sake of consistency.

I don't think the fact Beatrice and/or Eugenie don't have children to care for is relevant. I consider that Kate's primary duty was discharged the moment she had given birth to William's heir and does not extend to being the child's primary carer until adulthood.

Last edited:

I think you've hit on something important, but maybe not for the reason you said it. If Camilla and Kate have to curtsy to Beatrice and Eugenie because they are born Royal, then Beatrice and Eugenie should be given more Royal duties or at least the charitable work they do should be mentioned in the Court Circular. And if they are not going to be treated as working Royals, the others shouldn't have to curtsy to them. I think The Queen made a big mistake making them HRHs and then changing with the wind and deciding to not give them Royal duties. Having made the decision to make them HRHs, she should have stuck with it for the sake of consistency.

Catherine was never told to curtsy to Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie. The young royals don't curtsy to one another.

Catherine was never told to curtsy to Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie. The young royals don't curtsy to one another.

Furthermore, I see the royal traditions like that as more of family tradition, in a way. Has little to do with monarchy as a public institution. After all, royals still curtsy to deposed counterparts.

Duchess of Cambridge: What Now for Catherine? Future Duties, Roles, Responsib...

The only people that they cursety or bow to all the time is the Queen and Philip.

We saw Eugenie and Kate greet each other in NY. It was a kiss and a hug.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Last edited:

I don't think the fact Beatrice and/or Eugenie don't have children to care for is relevant. I consider that Kate's primary duty was discharged the moment she had given birth to William's heir and does not extend to being the child's primary carer until adulthood.

The Queen never made the decision to make the York girls's HRHs - that is as a result of the Letters Patent of 1917 issued under instruction from George V.

The issue of Camilla and Catherine having to curtsey to the York girls is, in theory, as a result of the private Order of Precedence. In practice, it a'int happening.

In my opinion, we focus overly much in the Forums on which of the females should and do curtsey and when. We almost never have this discussion about the men and bowing.

It's very obvious that Catherine's primary focus is on her husband and two children. That should be her focus and I don't think anyone should have a problem with that. That's her private life.

Officially, I think her royal role is growing. When Her Majesty gave Catherine the role of representing her in Malta, that gave me the hint that Catherine role as a senior member of the royal family is growing and not decreasing or flatlining. Obviously, some members of the media want their stories and pictures, but I think other veteran royal watchers and correspondents want to see some more growth in her roles. I think that's very fair and fine. It's coming though. There's so much more to come from Catherine. I not just talking about her future roles as Princess of Wales and Queen, but in her current role as Duchess of Cambridge. Right now, she's got a new born baby and a very active one year old ( nearly two) at home that's she's busy with.

She can be focused on her children while at the same time doing engagements a few times a month.

She can be focused on her children while at the same time doing engagements a few times a month.

That's what she has been doing. In her non pregnancy years she does around 100 annual engagements. That's all you can expect from part-time royals like William, Catherine, and Harry. I don't expect those three to change their workload until Charles becomes King. Royal funding is always the key issue and Charles doesn't have the budget for the trio to be full-timers. He's already scrapping by the skin of his teeth to let the trio each do around 100. It probably comes at the expense of some of Camilla's engagements, I can't see Charles the workaholic sacrificing his own (poor Camilla). If Harry marries in the near future I expect the quartet will be demoted to ~75 each. It's the only drawback to having such long-lived royals, you have a full roster with a budget cap.

Last edited:
Excellent points miss whirley as IMO there are still some who do not realize that Charles must pay for all of the members of his family when they perform royal duties.

:previous: On the plus side to Charles financial responsibility, it's worth noting that he also fully understands the need for new gowns and jewellery, and factors that in.

How lucky are Camilla and Catherine! :flowers:

:previous: On the plus side to Charles financial responsibility, it's worth noting that he also fully understands the need for new gowns and jewellery, and factors that in.

How lucky are Camilla and Catherine! :flowers:

Oh so true! Charles is no Scrooge when it comes down to the fine things and realizes that sometimes the more expensive pieces are also the better quality purchases that will stand the test of time. He's also astute enough to realize that money doesn't flow like water and there's a need to have limits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom