Duchess of Cambridge: What Now for Catherine? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Kate would benefit massively from an actual job/role she could do, even just 2 or 3 days a week on a permanent basis. It would give her a sense of purpose and not be seen as just a housewife and mother. There are countless organisations and charities she could choose from.

How do we know that she needs a sense of purpose, and does not already have one? And how might a 2-3 days a week role help her achieve that "sense of purpose"?

Pre marriage kate worked as a website designer and catalogue photographer for the family business .
She was also rumoured to partner with Emilia D'erlanger http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/d4/98/1d/d4981dfd85a27a45b7e4d1953cd4d5ee.jpg [close friend of hers and prince Georges Godmother ]to start their own interior design business together but obviously being associated with the BRF she had to be careful not to come off as a user .

Last edited:
Kate worked at Jigsaw as a buyer than at Party Pieces where she did the 1st birthday line and did photos. I don't think she did any webdesign.

Emilia partner wasn't Kate but Anna Sloan who also went to St Andrews with them.

http://derlangerandsloan.co.uk/

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Yes ik , but she was interested in partnering with Emilia , but for some reason she didn't .

It wasn't Web design but catalogue design as is stated in many places ,
Catherine was reported to have left Jigsaw in September 2007, 11 months later, allegedly to “focus on her photography.” We do know that Kate*does indeed photograph, so she may have taken a hiatus or not although it can’t have lasted long, because in 2008 she released the First Birthdays junior brand to her parents’ company. Her official biography states that “her role within the family business included catalogue design and production, marketing and photography.”
He's got her looks, thankfully.

Catalog design makes sense since its artistic while webdesign is computer coding.

tweets:

Jordon Lee ‏@JordonLee 27 min Hopefully the Duchess of Cambridge will increase her work load when she returns from official maternity leave.

Jordon Lee ‏@JordonLee 26 min
With Letizia, Mary, Maxima and Charlene all becoming known in their fields, I hope Kate will follow suit.

There's a difference here though. All the women listed above are either consorts of the reigning head of state (King, Prince etc) or of the heirs to the throne. Their level of involvement should be compared to Queen Elizabeth or the Duchess of Cornwall. Not Kate.

There's a difference here though. All the women listed above are either consorts of the reigning head of state (King, Prince etc) or of the heirs to the throne. Their level of involvement should be compared to Queen Elizabeth or the Duchess of Cornwall. Not Kate.

Yes I know:flowers: But I think that she should find her "field" too! Something in which she can develope and use her skills!

Yes I know:flowers: But I think that she should find her "field" too! Something in which she can develope and use her skills!

I think she's making pretty good headway into establishing herself as an advocate of young people and children with working with hospices and scouts and action on addiction etc. :D

She did work. She worked several jobs. One of her main jobs she had to leave because the media harassed her too much.

She worked 2 jobs, one at home one was part time. I gave made excuses when it wasn't a pattern with her, now it clearly is. Seems she hasn't worked hard since she got her degree.

Let's be honest what skills does she have? Smiling and looking pretty so far. Even William is a skilled pilot seeming to use his univ degree. Even Charlene who isn't a superb role model has a skill before becoming a Princess, James and Pippa have skills as well, Kate's skill...

This is silly...Kate doesn't need to have a specific skill although I am sure she has many. If nothing else she appears to have excellent skills at being a mother. That is the most important job a woman can do.

LaRae

I hesitate to bring this up as we have cautioned about comparisons, but what "skill" does the Duchess of Cornwall bring to the table? People have commented on how she supports Charles and makes him happy ...... couldn't the same be said of Kate for William, added to this being a mother. I have to say that I am rather stunned when I hear the phrase "just a housewife and mother". I thought the object of progress for women was supposed to allow them the freedom to do and be what they wanted IF that was financially possible for them. I get the feeling that that "freedom" is not really there in the eyes of some as the requirement seems to be to do a "real job".

Duchess of Cornwall has no skills either but she was born of a time when women were expected to marry well and that's all. Diana did have skills Sophie did, Anne Zara, even Beatrice and Eugenie are contributing something to the world. All Kate's doe since St Andrews is follow William around, vacation with William or her family, worked part time and gotten married. Sheesh even stay at home moms do other things, volunteer in the neighborhood or at their children's school.
Again I once used the excuse that staying at home was ok, but after years an years and years or her monarch doing nothing while even William works full time it just gets irritating. Especially when even some on this board defend her by essentially relegating her to a walking womb.

I hesitate to bring this up as we have cautioned about comparisons, but what "skill" does the Duchess of Cornwall bring to the table? People have commented on how she supports Charles and makes him happy ...... couldn't the same be said of Kate for William, added to this being a mother. I have to say that I am rather stunned when I hear the phrase "just a housewife and mother". I thought the object of progress for women was supposed to allow them the freedom to do and be what they wanted IF that was financially possible for them. I get the feeling that that "freedom" is not really there in the eyes of some as the requirement seems to be to do a "real job".

Just makes me wonder if a "real job" is where one makes "good money"?

If a measure of a person's worth is by the "real job" they do and the "good money" they make, this planet has seriously gone downhill IMO.

Duchess of Cambridge: What now for Catherine? Future Duties, Roles, Responsib...

Exactly what skills did Diana have when she married Charles?

Camilla raised 2 children and supported her first husband.

As Sophie discovered, trying to have a career while married to a royal got a lot of unwelcome scrutiny by the media of her clients,and allegations that she used her connections to further her clients' interests.
'

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community

Last edited:

I agree. Well said. :flowers:

Let's be honest what skills does she have? Smiling and looking pretty so far. Even William is a skilled pilot seeming to use his univ degree. Even Charlene who isn't a superb role model has a skill before becoming a Princess, James and Pippa have skills as well, Kate's skill...

Good post , it's not that I want her to have a skill , but at her age especially when she married at 29 , she had time to develop a career and even though she helped at home with the business , she never tried to forge her own like pippa and james who worked/started their own business . Kate could have volunteered at sotheby or got another job that is in the art history /fashion /ID line .. idk but without william I cannot define kate at all ...:ermm:

XeniaCasaraghi , I think like us a lot of people who supported kate are starting to see a pattern with her .

Duchess of Cornwall has no skills either but she was born of a time when women were expected to marry well and that's all. Diana did have skills Sophie did, Anne Zara, even Beatrice and Eugenie are contributing something to the world. All Kate's doe since St Andrews is follow William around, vacation with William or her family, worked part time and gotten married. Sheesh even stay at home moms do other things, volunteer in the neighborhood or at their children's school.
Again I once used the excuse that staying at home was ok, but after years an years and years or her monarch doing nothing while even William works full time it just gets irritating. Especially when even some on this board defend her by essentially relegating her to a walking womb.

Yup I agree , doesnt she get bored keeping idle this long , its not a " real job " people want to see her do but they want her to show interest in more than just pleasing william .
and Camilla married later on she wasnt a young woman starying her life or in her 30s so its a different senario.

Last edited:

Well Kate is doing "other things". Raising George may be her main focus right now, but she hasn't stopped doing royal engagements. I get that some think she should be doing more, but let's not pretend that she isn't doing anything at all.

Good post , it's not that I want her to have a skill , but at her age especially when she married at 29 , she had time to develop a career and even though she helped at home with the business , she never tried to forge her own like pippa and james who worked/started their own business . Kate could have volunteered at sotheby or got another job that is in the art history /fashion /ID line .. idk but without william I cannot define kate at all ...:ermm:

Not every one wants a career. Some would rather be a stay at home mom (I also know some stay at home dads). I don't see a thing wrong with that. It's all about choice. The choices you make, may not appeal to someone else. It's all about making the right choice for you/your life.

Also, I don't get how working for her family isn't considered a legitimate career. Many people learn the family business and help run it, or eventually take over the day to day operations.

Last edited:
Why wouldn't a woman want a career? And stay at home moms don't have the help she has.

I have a career. I'd dearly love not to and to spend the rest of my life studying and reading and horseback riding.

Sadly, I was not born with limitless wealth.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Why wouldn't a woman want a career? And stay at home moms don't have the help she has.

Because they would rather stay home with the kids, because they're rich and don't need to work, because they would rather travel, because they just don't care about working a 9-5. There are tons of reasons why someone would choose not to have a career.

I had a career, but I decided to give it up when I (recently) had my son. I really thought I would miss working, but I honestly don't. I love being home. On the other hand, one of my friends couldn't wait to get back to work. It's all about personal choice and what works for you.

You're right, the majority of stay-at-home moms don't have all the help Kate does. But, I'm not going to knock her for that. I know quite a few stay-at-home moms that rely on someone to take the kids and help out for a few hours - either family or friends, a babysitter or daycare. One of the moms in my neighborhood, drops her child off at a daycare for a couple of hours each day. It allows her to do housework, run errands, get some me time, etc. Having help doesn't make one any less of a stay-at-home mom. Although, it does make life a bit easier.

Last edited:
William and Kate are not in the same situation as most people. Ignore the royal titles, they are wealthy people. Wealthy people can work when they want to work and stay home with the kids if they want. They also have people that clean their house and take care of their kids when they aren't home.

However, we have never seen the nanny take care of George when William or Kate has been present. There was a nanny at the polo match or when Kate was pushing him thru the park. Even the photo shoot day at the Butterfly Exhibit when Nanny Maria was there, it was Kate that was carrying George. Isn't like the olden days when the nanny would take care of the child and then be presented for a hour to its parent like they do on Downton Abbey.

All those so called rich women keep themselves busy even if they may not have "regular jobs" .

Kate should have remembered that she doesnt like work when she decided she wanted to be royal , because they dont really have a retirement age , look at the queen and her consort who is working at 90 + , look at charles&Camilla , Sophie&Edward , Anne they're all working even now .
The position of princess of wales has never in the past been occupied by some one who wanted to be a stay at home mum , nor has the the position of queen consort.

The younger generation like Princess Eugiene took a job in NY and Beatrice is working somewhere in London , I just see kate as the only one who keeps herself idle .

Last edited:
When did Kate say she didn't like to work? She knows what the job entails much more than a bunch of people on a message board

As has been pointed out in a few threads, comparing Kate to everyone else is pointless.

Last edited:
This constant Cambridge bashing is getting rather wearisome. This used to be a place where there would be relatively sensible conversations about royal events past and future, and ideas of how things may emerge for various royals.

My sense is that sections of TRF now appear to have been taken over by constant carping, passing of value judgements, and assumptions of what work Catherine and William may or may not have done over the last decade, or may do over the next few years. We have seen their housing decisions criticised, the Queen (and even Charles) portrayed as being feeble and powerless in matters relating to the Cambridge's, their privately funded staffing levels criticised, and even the state of their marriage questioned. Even Wiliam's devcision to undertake a privtaly funded course at Cambridge was criticised. The discussion about Catherine needing to find a sense of purpose is quite ridiculous, IMO.

How does it matter to us if the Queen chooses to let her grandson have a house on her estate? How is it a matter of public concern if her grandson (or she) spend £1.5m on refurbishing it? How does it matter to us if the Cambridge couple employ a nanny? Many people I know in the UK employ nannies to look after their children.

What is wrong with the Cambridge couple being allocated Margaret's former home as their London base? It was last refurbished c50 years ago and is only to be expected that substantial repair and updating work will be required. Also, whilst the Cambridge family may spend a fair amount of time at Anmer, they are not abandoning KP. They will continue to use it as their London home, as I am sure they will be there at least 2-3 times a month, if not more.

Last edited:
Hmmmh I sure do hope so ...because she hasnt shown any interest in work so far .

And you know this through personal interaction w/the Duchess of course.

What is it w/The Cambridges that seem to bring out the worst in certain people? I just do not get the hatred, jealousy and venom and nor do I understand it.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

She has a job. She is a mother. She does engagements for the royal family when called upon to do so. She does charity things as well. There is no reason for her to do anything else.

LaRae

Some women see staying home and raising their children as a career. They have no desire to work outside the home and leave it for someone else to raise their children. They make sacrifices and live on one income and don't have all the fancy things or material things that people seem to think they can't live without.

Even the median income and lower income people can have help. Sometimes it's friends and family to help out...no they don't have nannies and live in's but most of them wouldn't want them anyway.

LaRae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom