Duchess of Cambridge: What Now for Catherine? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Harry no longer serves "full-time" in the Army. He has a desk job that according to all reports is only rarely in the office and besides, William was full-time in the military up until last year and he always did more engagements than Harry.

Harry is a full time soldier. He has to spend time on a desk job as part of his promotion effort. but he is spending time on The Invicta Games, with the support of the Army.

Sorry for going offtopic.

Last edited:
He has been given the time to do this by the Army, ie they are supporting what he is doing. They support many of the military in what could be considered extracurricular activities. Examples include long term leave for athletes.

they are also helping him organise it. He isnt doing it on his own.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where has it been stated he is given time off for the invictus games?

According to the website, the MoD has a rep on the board whose name isn't Harry

ORGANISERS | INVICTUS GAMES

General Andrew Gregory is a serving Army Officer and is the Chief of Defence Personnel, with responsibility for People policy for Service Personnel, MOD Civil Servants and Veterans, including the Defence Recovery Capability for wounded, injured and sick Service Personnel. He represents Defence on the Invictus Games Board.

Read it when it was announced. At the time the story was that he would be involved in setting it up but in a junior capacity.He is working for Gregory. They are using him for PR which is a great idea. Tickets selling well and concert already sold out. think the source was Express, but as Im on holiday, Im not going to spend lots of time tracking it. :))

When it comes to the military, who you are and what your status in life makes absolutely no difference among the ranks of the military. Just because Capt. Harry Wales also happens to be 4th in line for the throne, in the military there will be lots of people that outrank him. He follows commands and works in lower positions just like everyone else. He just happens to be in a spot where they can make the most use out of him. It does seem to mesh with his work for the armed forces through the Royal Foundation too.

I think a lot of this kind of structure could also be applied to the Firm and William and Kate. The Big Boss and her top executives close down basically in summertime for a while. Its like Ford Motor Company closing down the plants for Christmas week. So... William and Kate are technically "on vacation". Only thing is, its not a paid vacation. From the announcement I did see, it looks like there will be that "board meeting" at Balmoral in August.

William, Kate and Harry are still the "wet behind the ears" royals that are just starting to find their places in the Firm and very much answer to the Top Dogs of the Firm. Its not by their choice that this month long vacation came about.

I doubt the Duchess will significantly step up her engagement agenda until she has a second child. As for Prince William, as I (somewhat controversially) stated before, I believe he should take the opportunity of this so-called "transitional year" to work on his education, e.g. get a master's degree in International Relations, Political Science or Law, and improve his (almost non-existing) foreign language skills. Compared to other future monarchs in Europe, he is highly unqualified.

Compared to other future monarchs in Europe, he is highly unqualified.

Compared with Elizabeth II, George VI, Edward VIII, George V, Edward VII, Victoria, etc. Prince Harry looks pretty good qualified anyway. Note that also Diana and Camilla did not enjoy very advanced educations. Diana had very poor results at school. Camilla went to a finishing school in Switzerland, which seems the best education for her life at present, by the way.

:flowers:

I’d rather have someone in that position with a high EQ than a high IQ. They’d have a bigger chance of being successful.

Some observations...

Why does this thread (and others) so often turn into an "events competition" between individual members of the Royal Family? This is a relatively recent development and I wonder if there really is a clamouring by the general public of the United Kingdom for Catherine (and/or William) to "do more!"
Do that many people really keep tabs on the number of engagements carried out, pore over the comparative bar charts, and see who's in the current month's lack-of-visible-activity shame file?

What level or amount of "doing more" will be acceptable? Who will decide?

We are so often reminded that Catherine owes her position to the continuing "will of the people". Therefore in this time of rising public ferment over her stubborn reluctance to "do more", it has become critical she be appointed to a Royal Colonelcy ASAP. I'd go with a tank regiment and an SAS corps; Catherine should find them more than adequate for the purpose. :)

Subtlety doesn't seem to work so let's go bold...
Some posts have been removed.
This thread is titled "What now for Catherine?" Prince Harry has his own subforum where his education and the number and nature of his activities can be discussed at length.

Warren
British Forums moderator

Rebecca English @RE_DailyMail · 4h
What does this mean for Kate? She will continue with her small portfolio of work, I am told, & focus on 'being a mother'. No rise in duties

Won't be good if that's true.

Will be good for me. Camilla seems to have settled into that routine and I don't see any threads asking "What next for the Duchess of Cornwall"

She will continue to do what she is doing till her husband decides to or is allowed to be a full time royal.At least two and a half more years of the same. I would be perfectly ok with it if the PR Transitional year had never been divulged

Rebecca English @RE_DailyMail · 5 h

What does this mean for Kate? She will continue with her small portfolio of work, I am told, & focus on 'being a mother'. No rise in duties

Well... I hope they are wrong because I'd like a "change" in the schedule of Kate... But that is what I predicted

Yet with her first foreign solo trip we are already seeing her branch out a little. I see no reason ( other than a further pregnancy) for Catherine not to steadily increase her engagements. She may accompany other senior members of the family more frequently - we have seen several examples of this when William was working.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

:previous: I agree on this... It will be interesting to see how the things will develope for her

Personally, I hope she puts her main focus on being a wife and mother. She may have the available staff to take care of George but its my opinion that nothing compares to a mother that can and will dedicate herself primarily with her child.

(holds up a big sign reading "George First. Other Stuffs Second!"

I think that we will see Catherine doing more but they aren't going to announce it. The trip to Malta is an example. With the possibility of another pregnancy, it would be foolish to commit.

Speaking of foolish..... I wish the Cambs so-called PR people would just keep quiet. They cause more problems than they could ever solve.

Speaking of foolish..... I wish the Cambs so-called PR people would just keep quiet. They cause more problems than they could ever solve.

I don't think its the PR staff so much as the media putting a negative slant on things and making all kinds of assumptions in the life and times of the Cambridges. The PR machine stated at the onset of the transitional year that Will would be looking into what he would want to do in a public service capacity. I think its the media and the people that put the slant on it that it would be a public service role that would be representative of the Firm. Working for EAAA is public service and its something Will is very good at and committed to.

William's disdain of the media is legendary and I do believe that part of this two year limited public appearances is to be able to control and keep the media at bay when it comes to their private lives. This will serve him well when the time does come that Will and Kate are full time royals as he steps into his role as heir to the throne.

William's disdain of the media is legendary and I do believe that part of this two year limited public appearances is to be able to control and keep the media at bay when it comes to their private lives...

I think William's disdain is a big problem! Noblesse oblige to be impartial... at least to look to be impartial.

I think that we will see Catherine doing more but they aren't going to announce it. The trip to Malta is an example. With the possibility of another pregnancy, it would be foolish to commit.

I agree, the whole idea of putting it out there that Catherine won't be increasing her royal duties was beyond stupid. Of course her roles will increase and she will need to be seen doing her job as a senior royal. At the moment she do very little public engagements and to say that she won't be increasing her work is just silly.

I don't know what's going on behind the scenes but they need to get it together back there.

Yeah, their PR is not helping. They need to rethink how they communicate. Especially when it comes to Kate and her role over the next two years.

I agree that we'll probably see her doing a bit more. The trip to Malta is a good start and hopefully we'll see her doing more solo engagements while William is working.

Why not focus on being a mother (and maybe growing their family) now, instead of upping their duties and profile and then having to take a series of breaks for family reasons?

Because then people would complain about the length of her maternity leave (or William's paternity leave)!

I see no problems with it, she's going to do much more in the coming years.

I think that's just fine. Her child (and his future siblings) should ALWAYS come first, no matter what. Mother's love can't be given by a nanny, teacher, or anyone else.

Personally, I hope she puts her main focus on being a wife and mother. She may have the available staff to take care of George but its my opinion that nothing compares to a mother that can and will dedicate herself primarily with her child.

(holds up a big sign reading "George First. Other Stuffs Second!"

Yep. You summed it up well (helps with the sign) :D

Prediction: we will see less, not more of Kate in the coming years, at least regarding official duties.

Prediction: we will see less, not more of Kate in the coming years, at least regarding official duties.

You are probably right. Charles and Cam are gearing up to taking over from the Queen and can't afford her as a distraction (Er...not to mention William's aversion to the media and full time official duties). She is also a mum and may be pregnant again soon. Yes, I think your prediction may be prove to be right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom