Duchess of Cambridge: What Now for Catherine? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think what people object to is all the fawning and over-praising that goes on when Kate does ANYTHING. What has she done, 5 at-home visits, maybe a few more.

I personally don't think she wants to do these duties, and would rather be somewhere else.

I also don't think she will have children until the 59th minute of her biological clock.

These are just my feelings. I hope they are not true.

If that's the case, then she's among the greatest actresses who have ever lived. I just do not think someone can fake being that positive and warm all the time.

I mean, Charlene of Monaco comes across as uncomfortable and unhappy most of the time, and it's obvious to just about everyone. Catherine gives off a completely different vibe.

I think what people object to is all the fawning and over-praising that goes on when Kate does ANYTHING. What has she done, 5 at-home visits, maybe a few more.

I personally don't think she wants to do these duties, and would rather be somewhere else.

I also don't think she will have children until the 59th minute of her biological clock.

What's great about these boards is the fact that there are so many views and interpretations of a given situation. I personally don't see her as someone who doesn't want to be doing her duties. She's always appearing sincere and pleasant, and if what you say is true, then she's one heck of an actress, and perhaps chose the wrong career path. As for having children, there's no hurry. She's really good with children and I remember reading in one of the articles that were published prior to the wedding that she liked children, so it's kind of hard to imagine her not having any of her own. She's still young, so if she waits until her mid-thirties, it's not big deal.

I would agree that if Catherine is not happy doing these appearances then she is the consummate actress and deserves some awards. She is certainly great with children and very warm with them. I have to wonder how people conjure up these ideas of what Catherine is "really like". I take her as I see her, a young woman who is going about the business of being a member of the BRF and doing it nicely, IMHO.

I think if Kate were faking anything with the children, they'd pick up on it immediately. Instead, they have such an instant rapport with her that you know she's naturally warm and sincere. You can't fool children and even if she's a consummate actress, they'd see right through her.

I think you have to go back to 2007 when she may of had doubts. I think the break up really made her think about what she wanted in life. She knew what she was getting into when she married William. :flowers:

We get it. You've made this point several times, and we understand. No need to continue flagellating the deceased equine.

I think if Kate were faking anything with the children, they'd pick up on it immediately. Instead, they have such an instant rapport with her that you know she's naturally warm and sincere. You can't fool children and even if she's a consummate actress, they'd see right through her.

Amen to that :flowers: :D. You cannot fool children and animals. They smell BS right away and go in the opposite direction. Catherine's rapport with kids is extremely natural, and it shows.

I believe I recall that one of the Queen's grandchildren stated a few months ago that even when she wants to be somewhere else during one of her engagements that she always gives her best performance. I don't think Kate looks like she wants to be somewhere else, nor does her smile seem forced; but even if she did want to be somewhere else she wouldn't be the first royal to feel that way.

She can always decide only to have one child, equal primogeniture or not, because if William has only a daughter and no other child, this daughter is going to be queen. And I think they can afford not to have their daughter enjoy the funds from the Duchy of Cornwall when Catherine and William are king & queen.

Absolutely! Although the pressure to produce a male might be intense...truthfully, I think she's more inclined to listen to what her husband says - and he need not care of an "heir of the body" be produced.

You're right, with or without a change in the law, if William has only one heir, that child will be Queen. So, de facto, it's female primogeniture anyway. Good analysis!

Amen to that :flowers: :D. You cannot fool children and animals. They smell BS right away and go in the opposite direction. Catherine's rapport with kids is extremely natural, and it shows.

Agreed. And I think that's why many public figures try to get on with children and animals. What else could we mean by "natural" if not "getting along well with children animals"???

If I had the opportunity to be a lady of leisure and not work in a job but had the opportunity to do what I loved to do for free, volunteer for a charity [or] sit on my butt all day and watch TNT (Drama in the Daytime Y'all!), and my bills still got paid and I could eat out and travel at my hearts conent..... I would do it in a heart beat. And I don't think there are many that wouldn't.

Hmmm, not so. If I were in Kate's position with her expressed interests (in art, a clue from her education) I'd be using my new access to all the royal art to do some serious study and networking. Someone mentioned that this would be 'taking a job away from someone'. Hardly. She is now married into the family - she makes her own niche in that family and if her interests lead her towards art and art history - in the same way it led Edward to explore his family's history via their residences - that would be excellent. In doing what Edward did - he did not take away anyone's job. He created jobs, in fact.

Sitting around because one can - money - is boring as all hey. Being able to lead a life led by one's interests - in your case travel - is sheer heaven. Following one's interests leads to activity and would likely lead to meaningful contribution in one way or another. There is always a point where one looks at one's life and asks - what am I achieving, what am I giving back.

Being the front person for charities may be someone's idea of a good time but I know of few who could put up with its superficiality for long. A person needs their own work - and in some cases that work is home and family - but very few cruise along without some intellectual pursuits that eventually translate into give-back. Look at Charles - he is an excellent example of this - he couldn't just continue to do the 'show' he had to contribute and contribute he has big-time, making it his real work. Its in the give-and-take that pleasure and satisfaction in living are derived, not in laying about. So say I. ;)

Now mind you, if I won the lottery tomorrow its very likely I would take a long vacation and travel and relax but I know as sure as I know my own name that I'd eventually begin 'working' through my interests, establishing something substantive in which to to do my 'exchanges' in life, establishing my connections - be it only gardening, for example - but gardening 'large' perhaps.

If the university degree subjects were not really an avid interest, why then go to university? If university does not mark out someone as open and interested in the world of ideas and possibilities - what does a university degree signify these days? University should be the beginning not the end of learning. How sad if all Kate's - and William's - university studies did for them was to find a 'suitable' marriage partner. What a waste of an education at that level.

Last edited:
We get it. You've made this point several times, and we understand. No need to continue flagellating the deceased equine.

I'm glad you get it! I am a Kate moderate - not fanatical either way - and it is just human nature to make comment when this thread becomes slavishly syrupy. Just as you feel you need to make comments as above, so shall I.

Hmmm, not so. If I were in Kate's position with her expressed interests (in art, a clue from her education) I'd be using my new access to all the royal art to do some serious study and networking.

How do you know that she doesn't do that? Things like that can happen behind closed doors of the palaces. Or did somebody know of Sarah York's interest in all things left by queen Victoria including the letters and diaries in the Royal family archive before she co-produced that film? I did not. I'm following Sarah since she married Andrew and, as I'm interested myself in historical research, I believe I would have read about it if it ever was mentioned. That she spend hours and hours in the archives at Windsor?
Same with Catherine. The staff surrounding her is not allowed to talk to the media about things like that and her people are known to be very protective. But it gave me pause when she told the young girl at the hospice thast she had seen her video before the visit. This tells me she is quite thorough in her research and interested in the people she is going to visit. Add that to her education and the information we got when the engagement was announced about her interests in photography - all that makes me wonder where the doubts are coming from?

OTOH - if she would splash the information about that she does use her new opportunities to do research: would some members here start laughing hysterically, claiming that she is vain for trying to appear intellectual and asking when her first paper will appear in one of the scientific historical magazines? With some, she can't win. That much is clear.

I, for one, am willing to give her the benefit of the doubt and to respect her right to do in her spare time what she wants to do: she is not after all payed by me and she is not yet the First Lady of the UK with the duties that entails. She is just a granddaughter-in-law of a very active and capable souverain.

I've said it once and I will say it again....

If I had the opportunity to be a lady of leisure and not work in a job but had the opportunity to do what I loved to do for free, volunteer for a charity of sit on my butt all day and watch TNT (Drama in the Daytime Y'all!), and my bills still got paid and I could eat out and travel at my hearts conent..... I would do it in a heart beat. And I don't think there are many that wouldn't.

Fact is...one of the purposes of the women's liberation movement (as I understand it) was that woman should be afforded the same opportunities as men (whether that be education, earning the same salary for the same job, or just a job without the worry that they wouldn't hire you because once you got pregnant you wouldn't come back to work). It also afforded you the opportunity to not work, or work for your parents if that worked for you.

Kate (and William) came to a decision that in order for their relationship to work because of the nature of his military career and his royal position, she would not work a typical career job. I also think they had some agreement that they would marry in so many years.

She didn't work a normal job. They married and lo and behold, she seems to be doing a rather decent job in her first year as a royal. I am not going to say excellent but I believe she has done more than many thought she would and should do.

Well done.

I agree with that sentiment and perhaps so does the Queen. If this story is even remotely accurate that the HM The Queen feels that the Duchess has "immense potential". Time will tell, I suppose. I think Catherine is doing pretty good so far... nothing overwhelming but still on the whole, I think she is improving. It's rumored that HM The Queen and the Duchess already have a better relationship than the Queen ever did with Diana.

Kate Middleton is being trained to be the perfect Royal | Mail Online

I have a quick question. Is it possible for Kate to be a full time royal while William is part time? I assumed that Sophie and Camilla would essentially do what their royal spouses did in terms of their duties. If the Prince is full time, the wife would be full time.

I have a quick question. Is it possible for Kate to be a full time royal while William is part time? I assumed that Sophie and Camilla would essentially do what their royal spouses did in terms of their duties. If the Prince is full time, the wife would be full time.
I don't see why not. The Duke of Kent is a full-time working royal, while the Duchess of Kent makes few, if any appearances.
However, bearing in mind Kate's position as a consort to William, it is unlikely unless William was incapacitated and couldn't carry out royal duties.

Last edited:

She could but since they live largely in Wales the logistics could be a bit complicated.

Kate strikes me as the sort of person who sees her role as complimenting William's, as opposed to going out and carving her own royal career.

Also, as NGalitzine says, the fact that William works weird hours on an island off the coast of north Wales would make the logistics of Kate taking on full-time royal duties much more difficult. They'd probably see a whole lot less of each other, which is what their decision to stay in Wales and not become working royals just yet is all about.

I've stated previously that I'd prefer to see Kate doing a bit more by now. Having said that, I have no doubt that Will and Kate's current setup must have the support of the Queen and Charles. The Queen's not above laying down the law with her grandkids. They were open about the fact that Kate would ease into royal duties and that's exactly what's happened. Kate's approval rating with the British people is around the 77% range ( which is much higher than Prince Philip's, for example) so she's doing ok so far.

Artemisia said:
I don't see why not. The Duke of Kent is a full-time working royal, while the Duchess of Kent makes few, if any appearances.
However, bearing in mind Kate's position as a consort to William, it is unlikely unless William was incapacitated and couldn't carry out royal duties.

The Duke of Kent is royal by birth the Duchess is his spouse, I am talking about the reverse. Can the one who married into the family be seen to do more work than his/her spouse.
I'm not saying Kate should become full time, I see the logic in her desire to be part time with William, I am just asking if it is possible or has ever been done.

Last edited:

I think that is the case with the Duchess of Kent; she can't really carry out many duties since she is not well.

Well, Catherine has already carried out more official engagements than William this year. That's mainly due to the fact that William served in the falklands eariler this year and because of his SAR job.

William & Catherine seem to really like working together but of course there will be plenty of times where we wll see them do solo engagements too. It's pretty much the same patteren that we see with The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh, Prince of Wales & Duchess of Cornwall, Earl & Countess of Wessex.

William is a part-time senior royal and so there for Catherine is a part-time senior royal. I hope they will become full-time royals by next year.

Kate strikes me as the sort of person who sees her role as complimenting William's, as opposed to going out and carving her own royal career.

Also, as NGalitzine says, the fact that William works weird hours on an island off the coast of north Wales would make the logistics of Kate taking on full-time royal duties much more difficult. They'd probably see a whole lot less of each other, which is what their decision to stay in Wales and not become working royals just yet is all about.

I've stated previously that I'd prefer to see Kate doing a bit more by now. Having said that, I have no doubt that Will and Kate's current setup must have the support of the Queen and Charles. The Queen's not above laying down the law with her grandkids. They were open about the fact that Kate would ease into royal duties and that's exactly what's happened. Kate's approval rating with the British people is around the 77% range ( which is much higher than Prince Philip's, for example) so she's doing ok so far.

As we have been gently nudged by our dear Zonk to continue this thread of conversation here, I'd like to once point out that the numbers of duties and engagenets that Kate does do isn't up to her. As EIIR says..they have the support of the Queen and Charles.

So a still to many Waity Katie is supposed to say to the Firm "'I'm not out there enough..it look like I'm scrubbing the loo and making beds and cooking a frozen TV dinner and once in a while I get caught at Tesco without my tiara" That's the reality TV version. LOL I think the Firm would give her a big plibbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbts back(also known as the Bronx cheer) on that one... and they'd be laughing.

Perhaps this is one reason we're seeing now why the engagement took so long to become a public and done and final thing. He wanted her to be sure of what she was getting herself in for and gave her time to watch and learn and be a part of what his life as a future King entailed

I thought it was funny when hearing Charles' reaction to the engagement announcement "They've been practicing long enough". He's a good man with words.

So because she is only a duchess and not a CP she has to fulfil only 4 engagements a year? The year has 365 days. What does she do the rest of the time? We cannot be sure if this is made in agreement with the RF. I particularly think it´s her own decision. If she wanted, she could do more. Why would the RF want her to have the image she always had? Not that I´m surprised she´s not engaged in other activities. One person does not change from one day to the other. But I really expected that in one year she would do somethign else to justity the priviledge position she lives in. Being a senior member is not an excuse either. Even HM cousins do more work than her.

So because she is only a duchess and not a CP she has to fulfil only 4 engagements a year?

Using extreme exaggeration to put your point across doesn't really work.

So because she is only a duchess and not a CP she has to fulfil only 4 engagements a year? The year has 365 days. What does she do the rest of the time? We cannot be sure if this is made in agreement with the RF. I particularly think it´s her own decision. If she wanted, she could do more. Why would the RF want her to have the image she always had? Not that I´m surprised she´s not engaged in other activities. One person does not change from one day to the other. But I really expected that in one year she would do somethign else to justity the priviledge position she lives in. Being a senior member is not an excuse either. Even HM cousins do more work than her.

Rosana, again you astonish me with your way to count things. Where do the 4 engagements come from?

Even those few that come to mind immediately: Fortnum & Mason, Jubilee Pageant, Jubilee Concert, Trooping the Colours, Olympic Opening and Closing ceremonies, Visits to hospitals, meeting with queen and Philip somewhere north... are a bit more than that. Plus the upcoming State Visit...

I accept that you don't like either William or Catherin nd believe them to be lazy. But couldn't you at least get the facts straight? For it makes it really difficult not to point out that that's not the whole truth and thus your opinion could be flawed, even though it is a honest opinion to be accepted?

The idea that Kate is determined to do very little and the Queen and Prince Charles have no say in this matter is just preposterous. The Queen dictated to William exactly what he would wear on his wedding day, for goodness sake. As William said in his interview with Andrew Marr for the Jubilee, when the Queen puts her foot down you do what you're told.

Charles is pulling the purse strings here. If he wanted Kate to be doing more, he could make it happen. On the contrary, Charles seems very happy with Kate. It suits him for W&K to only be part-time royals, as he'll know as soon as that changes Charles is going to be sidelined in the press.

The fact that the Queen invited Kate to join her on the very first day of her Jubilee tour, as well as one of her garden parties at BP, and the engagement in Nottingham, suggests that she's pretty satisfied with how things have gone. Those events were a very obvious vote of confidence in Kate IMO.

Plus William and Catherine probably start now after their State Visit to seriously trying for their first child - which is a "Royal duty" for them as well, maybe the most important one at the moment. Surely the queen will want to see another successor grow up for at least part of the heir's childhood.:flowers::flowers:

Using extreme exaggeration to put your point across doesn't really work.

In case you haven't noticed the example this poster used as an example of an acceptable hardworking royal is a fellow Argentinian. Coincidence???

I think people have to realize that The Duke & Duchess of Cambridge official duties have increased a bit and it will continue to increase. This info is what the Palace having been letting everyone know, including the media. The Palace have mentioned timeand time again that William & Catherine for the time being will work around their military life. That's what they have been doing.

It's true that all the full-time members of the royal family works harder. They have a great deal of responsibility to deal with. They are patron/president/founder of many charities and organizations. Also many of the senior royals have been handed down a great deal of royal roles from past members of the royal family. The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh and The late Queen Mother have handed down many roles down to Prince Charles, Princess Anne, Prince Andrew and Prince Edward. Also Prince Andrew not that long ago mentioned in a interview that when Princess Margaret & Queen Mother died, the older royals sat around a table at Windsor or Sandringham and spilt up the duties amongst each other. So they have a great deal of work on their hands.

Prince William also mentioned in a interview that he and Harry have asked The Queen several times if she need more help with royal duties and she and Prince Philip is always tell them no. So the young royals are looking to help their elder grandparents.

Now that The Duke of Edinburgh's health is not all that good these days, it's looking more likely The Queen & Prince Philip is handing down some responsibility to the younger generation. Just the way the Queen only had the Waleses & Cambridges on the Buckingham Palace balcony after the Diamond Jubilee Service, I think a major transition is underway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom