Duchess of Cambridge: What Now for Catherine? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My argument was with the Daily Mail for inserting a piece of information simply to cause trouble. With the readers of royal articles on the DM always complaining about taxpayers money, it seems to me they did it for the comments.

And they consistently do this. Of course they are always successful in bringing out all the resentful whiners. :ermm:

The work that royals do is not what us normal people would call work. It going to performances, opening things, plant trees, visiting different charities. But would you like to have to work for your whole life and have cameras follow you everytime you work. Have everything you wear, say, do followed by the whole world. Imagine the scandal if a royal attending a event falls alseep during a performance of some dance troop, chorus, business conference, etc.

First off, thanks Skippyboo for one of very few postings of reason and facts I've read over the last fifteen minutes. Spot on!!

As for the bolded portion...That actually has happened. Does anyone else remember the furor that took place after Diana fell asleep in her chair during Charles' speech at an event they attended in mid November 1981? To say she was being roasted over the coals is a wee bit of an understatement. Then the next day came the announcement that William was on his way. Considering how tiring the first trimester can be for some women, and from what I've heard over the years Diana was one of those, her falling asleep at that event then made sense.

So it has happened.

Second...I love, not, how certain posters around here are missing something that's so fantastic, my Parents even picked up on it w/out me saying a thing. Then again, if that happened, then we wouldn't have to wade through all the bitter crap that's popped up, would we? There's a huge difference between criticzing and having a twisted agenda against someone you don't even know.

What have you vicious little people missed? Oh, just the fact that Kate's having a holiday w/her Family!!

Haven't all of us hoped that when William and Kate both said Kate's Family would be just as important as William's Royal side in the Marriage, that it wouldn't be wishful thinking, and that Kate's Family really would be part of their lives in a way we haven't seen in the past? I mean...When's the last time in the first year of a Royal Marriage the Holidays were split so the couple in question could celebrate w/both sides of the Family? To my knowledge, it's never happened before. Once at Sandringham, they stayed at Sandringham.

Nope, to see that William and Kate left Sandringham after the Christmas celebrations, and after making sure Prince Phillip was doing well after he was able to leave the Hospital, to spend New Year's w/Kate's Family. Now they're off to have a Holiday w/Kate's Family. When's the last time that's happened after a Royal Wedding? Has it ever happened? I can't remember if it has or not, but I'm thinking not.

I get Kate's going to get criticized, but dear Lord there's a difference between actual deserved criticism for something horrible a person's done and what I've had to read on this thread over the weekend. When you're so desprate to hack into someone, you miss something as obvious as what I've pointed out, that's not criticism. That's a sad agenda and not exactly very complimentary towards the ones who keep posting this way.

And now...I'm off to add some people to my Ignore list.

Clarence House denied something this futile? I found a similar from 11th December, but nothing to say Clarence denied it. Seems logical for Camilla and Charles to extend their hospitality to their daughter in law.
Also - Eugenie and her boyfriend are in Mustique at the moment.

Yes, they did deny it. Clarence House has inexplicitly begun denying inaccuracies.

what I said before, I regret, please ignore it. thanks

Last edited:
I remember reading many years ago that someone once asked Diana what it was like to be a princess. The response was something like "imagine going to two or three weddings as day - AS THE BRIDE! That's what it's like."

When it comes to the public opinion, the royals must tread very cautiously. Public adoration could turn into public dislike fast. One might argue that Duke and Duchess of Cambridge could have gone to holiday locally and, thus, contributed to a much-needed economic boost of a particular area.

But the taxpayers are paying for 24/7 security regardless of where they are. That is the reality of their lives and I am sure not one member of the Royal family particularly enjoys it. If it wasn't for terrorism, over zealous paparazzi and for those that take their irrational venom to another level, it wouldn't be necessary.

And yes....one may argue they could take a holiday locally, however this holiday was planned by the Middletons. They are simply joining them.

I don't need to be the insider, it's so visible that she work less than she can. She doesn't work 9-5 so she's better that middle class? No, she's not. She just fortunately married a man who is the prince. But it doesn't mean that Kate must lower her work standards.

Why not look at it this way? She is now working as a Royal 24/365 because she can never really back out of her role, she will always be followed by Protection Officers, even at night she must try to become the mother of the next in line... :)lol:).

tHat's the main difference between being a Royal and being one of the work force: a worker only sells the time he is working and can do what he or she wants in the rest of the time. A Royal must all the time be concious of who he or she is and what this means in terms of representation of a traditional institution. Catherine brought herself into the "firm" when she married and this completely, body, soul, life till her death. You know, it's a bit much to ask of her to do more!

A Royal must all the time be concious of who he or she is and what this means in terms of representation of a traditional institution.

You can't really count behaving in the correct manner as work, that's just common sense.

I think that Catherine and William have gone about this 'work' thing the wrong way. They claimed they weren't going to take part in royal working life until William had finished his training. They were going to stay in Wales and be a 'normal' couple. But following that, since their marriage they've been seen at numerous non annual royal events, and announcements have been made for new charities and patronages for the pair. So we now have the expectation that they will be doing something. Either be the military couple and only appear at the annual royal events or take part in royal engagements daily and not just movie premieres and overseas tours.

Yes, they did deny it. Clarence House has inexplicitly begun denying inaccuracies.

Could you show me where you read that Clarence House denied it?

You can't really count behaving in the correct manner as work, that's just common sense.

I think that Catherine and William have gone about this 'work' thing the wrong way. They claimed they weren't going to take part in royal working life until William had finished his training. They were going to stay in Wales and be a 'normal' couple. But following that, since their marriage they've been seen at numerous non annual royal events, and announcements have been made for new charities and patronages for the pair. So we now have the expectation that they will be doing something. Either be the military couple and only appear at the annual royal events or take part in royal engagements daily and not just movie premieres and overseas tours.

Exactly since everything they do apart from the annual royal events is the fluffy celebrity glam stuff such like movie premiers, and when it comes to the "serious" work they prefer to be the military couple in Wales.

But the taxpayers are paying for 24/7 security regardless of where they are. That is the reality of their lives and I am sure not one member of the Royal family particularly enjoys it. If it wasn't for terrorism, over zealous paparazzi and for those that take their irrational venom to another level, it wouldn't be necessary.

And yes....one may argue they could take a holiday locally, however this holiday was planned by the Middletons. They are simply joining them.
My point about holidaying locally was hypothetical. As I have stated earlier, Duke and Duchess of Cambridge can spend their holidays anywhere they like, mass media can report and ordinary people can express their positive/negative opinions on the matter. I find your lecture/tirade odd.

Last edited:
I know that she just wife of 2nd to the throne. But it doesn't mean that she can't work more than she is working now, especially when we see how advanced in years is older generation of BRF. Kate is young, has lot of time and can relieve members of her new family.

The RF made it very clear from the beginning that Catherine would be eased into her new role. That means careful preperation. It was also made clear that they wanted William and Catherine to enjoy being newlyweds away from the public eye as much as possible. However, she has been married for 9 months and has made several charitable appearances with William during that time. She has now also chosen a handful of charities to start with and will have a busy year ahead of her with the Jubilee and her new charities. Therefore, I feel your expectations are unreasonable.

How long she will use excuse of being 'new in the firm', enjoying fresh marriage, being not full-time royal? Work more, you'll get my full support, Kate.

"She" isn't using any such excuse. The complaints that she is lazy because she isn't doing several appearances a day and supporting dozens of charities from the moment she became a member of the RF is getting rather old. It's an irrational argument IMO.

My point about holidaying locally was hypothetical. As I have stated earlier, Duke and Duchess of Cambridge can spend their holidays anywhere they like, mass media can report and ordinary people can express their positive/negative opinions on the matter. I find your lecture/tirade odd.

What I find odd is that you interpreted my response as a lecture or a tirade. :whistling:

Could you show me where you read that Clarence House denied it?

I wish I could, but it's been two or three months (beginning of November or earlier, I believe), and I can't possibly go through hundreds of posts at another forum where I initially saw it, in order to find it. :flowers: Around the same time, it was also announced in the media that Pippa would move in with Kate when William left for the six weeks so that she wouldn't be lonely, and that was also denied.

I wish I could, but it's been two or three months (beginning of November or earlier, I believe), and I can't possibly go through hundreds of posts at another forum where I initially saw it, in order to find it. :flowers: Around the same time, it was also announced in the media that Pippa would move in with Kate when William left for the six weeks so that she wouldn't be lonely, and that was also denied.

Shame. I can't find it on the Clarence House website so it must have been in a newspaper. :)

The RF made it very clear from the beginning that Catherine would be eased into her new role. That means careful preperation. It was also made clear that they wanted William and Catherine to enjoy being newlyweds away from the public eye as much as possible. However, she has been married for 9 months and has made several charitable appearances with William during that time. She has now also chosen a handful of charities to start with and will have a busy year ahead of her with the Jubilee and her new charities. Therefore, I feel your expectations are unreasonable.

"She" isn't using any such excuse. The complaints that she is lazy because she isn't doing several appearances a day and supporting dozens of charities from the moment she became a member of the RF is getting rather old. It's an irrational argument IMO.
Yes, palace stated at the beginning that they will live in Wales as long as William will be RAF pilot. I thought that indeed they will lead quite marriage, enjoy themselves, maybe start a family. Just like HM and Prince Philip in Malta. But later we saw them in Canada and US, at premiere, concert, galas, few charity events. It's obvious that Kate spends a lot of time in London, she shops, has her hair done, enjoys time with Pippa. I understand that they presence is normal during Christmas and annual royal events, but if they say 'we will live in Wales' I expected not to see them so often. They wanted quiet time, nothing wrong in it. But for me quiet time is not walking in expensive outfits on the red carpet, just like Hollywood stars. You said something-keep it on. If they changed their minds and want work more (Kate especially, cause William has a contract), no problem, you can work, but then I expect real, hard work, not 'I will do 1 engagement a month and later go on holidays or will spend time in home'.
About being lazy, yes for me laziness is doing one engagement for few weeks (with big help from staff side), especially when you have nothing more to do (like having children).

I think Catherine shopping and having her hair done, with or without her sister, is just business as usual. It is ludicrous to infer they have changed their minds about her because she has walked a few red carpets with William.

They are "appearances". They get out of the car, smile for the watchers and cameras, meet and greet their hosts, etc. and then sit down and watch the show like everyone else. Nobody said Catherine was going to live her life as a cloistered nun or recluse! The key words are "live her life" and that she is doing.

Whether or not the change in the status of Prince Philip's health is to become a life changing event for the Cambridge's is yet to be seen.

Last edited:
HM and PP only spent 3 months together on Malta. Then, HM came home.

HM and PP only spent 3 months together on Malta. Then, HM came home.

From what I can find it was "several periods" between 1949 & 1951. Unless those periods totalled 3 months?
The difference with comparing Princess Elizabeth and Prince William is you can't. As Elizabeth was the heir and William isn't. There is leway for William to not do royal duties, where there wasn't as much for Elizabeth.

When did William and Catherine ever said they were just going to be in Wales not performing any duties while he was at the RAF?

When did William and Catherine ever said they were just going to be in Wales not performing any duties while he was at the RAF?

Duchess of Cambridge to concentrate on being a housewife - Telegraph

But Palace officials are keen to allow the new Duchess time to grow into her joint roles of wife and public figure.
The decision to carefully manage her official duties is understood to have the support of the Queen, who as a newly-wed lived in Malta for two years when Prince Philip was based there with the Royal Navy.
Once the Duke and Duchess return from their honeymoon, which is expected to take place sometime later this month, they will continue to live in their rented farmhouse in Anglesey, north Wales.
Princess Catherine will concentrate on her role as an RAF Officer’s wife and only has a small number of official engagements in her diary.
She is expected to attend one or two Polo events to watch her husband compete and will also attend the Trooping of the Colour next month and the Duke of Edinburgh’s 90th birthday celebrations.

From what I can find it was "several periods" between 1949 & 1951. Unless those periods totalled 3 months?
The difference with comparing Princess Elizabeth and Prince William is you can't. As Elizabeth was the heir and William isn't. There is leway for William to not do royal duties, where there wasn't as much for Elizabeth.

I wasn't comparing HM/PP with WnK, just clarifying that HM and PP did not have a long time together on Malta.

One thing to consider here is the biological clock; Kate is not old by any means, but she's no longer in her 20s and who's to say what will be the ease or difficulty of her getting pregnant? Just because one plans to start a family doesn't mean it will happen immediately, so delaying too long because it may interfere with the Jubilee may not be a wise course. I've seen several of my own friends trying unsuccessfully for years to have children before they were able to do so, and if they were lucky. William and Kate may want to take that into consideration before too much time lapses.

yeah, you totally right, but if we have memoty the 2 last womens that produce a hair to throne were into the firts year of marriage. charles born exactly a year after elizabeth's wedding and wills 11 months after charles and diana 's-. and I remember that anne was prganat with peter in the first jubilee of elizabeth.

yeah, you totally right, but if we have memoty the 2 last womens that produce a hair to throne were into the firts year of marriage. charles born exactly a year after elizabeth's wedding and wills 11 months after charles and diana 's-. and I remember that anne was prganat with peter in the first jubilee of elizabeth.

Queen Elizabeth was 22 when she had Charles, Diana was 21 and Anne was 27. Catherine is 30 and I doubt we'll see a baby before next year.

:previous: Anne was 27 and had been married for 4 years when Peter was born. She married Nov 14 1973, Peter was born Nov 1977. I believe the delay was due to her Olympic training as she participated in the 1976 Olympics in Montreal

Behaving in the correct manner is in fact work, especially if one is in the public eye. I have a job where I have to behave correctly and frankly, there are times when I wish I worked at a minimum wage job and just had functions to fulfill, like a robot.

The amount of judgementalism about Kate's life fascinates me though. Lots of armchair critics.

Being the wife of a first responder is in and of itself not easy (lots of divorces, more than in other jobs). They are rich, it's true (and get taxpayer support on top of that - but that's how the system is set up, they didn't set it up that way).

Many aspects of life as a wife to a doctor or SAR worker or other similar jobs (or as a husband to same) are "work" in my opinion (been there, done that, did not want to do it indefinitely, wish I'd paced myself more - but not possible, given societal expectations).

If there were legitimate criticisms of Kate I would be more objective to them. But criticizing her for going on a vacation with her family is ridiculous, I've also seen some (on other boards) hate on her hair and say "it being so long is undignified" WTH!
I do think there are too many people on here who assume that when Kate is away from the cameras that she is like Peggy Bundy and constantly sitting on her butt watching tv.

Behaving in the correct manner is in fact work, especially if one is in the public eye. I have a job where I have to behave correctly and frankly, there are times when I wish I worked at a minimum wage job and just had functions to fulfill, like a robot.

The amount of judgementalism about Kate's life fascinates me though. Lots of armchair critics.

Being the wife of a first responder is in and of itself not easy (lots of divorces, more than in other jobs). They are rich, it's true (and get taxpayer support on top of that - but that's how the system is set up, they didn't set it up that way).

Many aspects of life as a wife to a doctor or SAR worker or other similar jobs (or as a husband to same) are "work" in my opinion (been there, done that, did not want to do it indefinitely, wish I'd paced myself more - but not possible, given societal expectations).

If there were legitimate criticisms of Kate I would be more objective to them. But criticizing her for going on a vacation with her family is ridiculous, I've also seen some (on other boards) hate on her hair and say "it being so long is undignified" WTH!
I do think there are too many people on here who assume that when Kate is away from the cameras that she is like Peggy Bundy and constantly sitting on her butt watching tv.

Well said, ladies. I'm in agreement. I think some people are just waiting for Catherine to mess up, and then they'll really dig in. Unfortunately, since it's not happening fast enough for them, they are getting their practice by just picking on things that are frankly, minor; hair, taking a vacation with family, etc. I'd love to see those people walk a mile in her shoes, and then perhaps they'll be singing a different tune.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom