Duchess of Cambridge: What Now for Catherine? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I totally agree with your entire post, but how do you know the part that I made bold?

Various articles discussing it. I take it with a grain of salt until it's officially announced, however she has obviously been doing her homework and meeting with various charities that interest her so no doubt something will be announced sooner rather than later as to her decision although I am sure she won't be making her first solo appearance until after the Jubilee.

Catherine making secret visits - report | Courier Mail

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge making secret visits - report | News.com.au

Kate Middleton: Next Big Step for Duchess of... | Gather

Can someone explain why these meetings would be @ St. James palace? Their London home is KP, are there offices or something else that makes St. James more suitable than BP or Clarence house, even - I understand that their place in KP is quite small, but just curious why St. James.

Can someone explain why these meetings would be @ St. James palace? Their London home is KP, are there offices or something else that makes St. James more suitable than BP or Clarence house, even - I understand that their place in KP is quite small, but just curious why St. James.

Someone feel free to correct me, but I think because St. James Palace is where their office and staff are (by 'staff' I mean secretary and what have you).

Someone feel free to correct me, but I think because St. James Palace is where their office and staff are (by 'staff' I mean secretary and what have you).

That is correct. The office staff are located at St James' so this gives a more formal air to the meetings than those take place in a sitting room.

So this entire time Kate has been being taught how to go about things? There are certain people on other boards who insist she is lazy and is just sitting around the house watching tv and eating ice cream.

So this entire time Kate has been being taught how to go about things? There are certain people on other boards who insist she is lazy and is just sitting around the house watching tv and eating ice cream.

We have absolutely no idea if she is lazy, likes sitting aroound the house or likes watching TV. What is certainly clear is that just because she is not being seen conducting public engagements does not mean that she is not doing work that is not necessarily in the public domain. This could entail attending meetings with various charities that she may be considering becoming involved in, and getting an understanding of the various institutions of state that the article in the Telegraph refers to. I suspect she is probably also getting some lessons on how the unwritten constitution of the UK works.

Well, it's certainly reasonable that while Kate is not in the public's view now, she's receiving instruction in the various aspects of her role and functions as an upcoming senior member of the Royal Family. Taking a break from public engagements doesn't mean she isn't working assiduously behind the scenes. I'm glad that she is getting such careful preparation; she's got a long life of public service ahead of her.

The palace seem to be doing everything possible to make sure Catherine is well prepared for her life as a working royal and future Queen. Obviously they have learned from the Diana & Sarah fiascos and want to be sure history doesnt repeat itself. Seems perfectly reasonable and not something she should be criticized for.

That is correct. Her life is made up of sitting on her bum, watching telly and shopping. Of course we haven't actually SEEN her watching TV, but that doesn't matter since she hasn't been SEEN working with advisors and researching charitible causes she wants to take on, meeting with charities, studying welsh, etc.... Therefore, sitting around watching the telly is the only logical explaination that will be accepted. Oh...and she shops. Of course we can't be certain that pushing an empty cart through a grocery parking isn't just a photo op to disguise her telly obsession since we didn't actually SEE groceries in it. However, we can be certain that the other pics of her shopping in London are real since based on the fact that it fits her frivilous lazy existence.

Amazing isn't it? All other Royal brides have been allowed time to adjust and start their solo appearances within a 2 year time frame and shadow their husbands in the interim as they learn the ropes. But not Catherine.. She was William's girlfriend for 8 years and accomanied him to weddings and social functions. Training enough! Get to work! :lol:

I recall William saying at their engagement interview, that lessons had been learned from the past. So it certainly makes sensce to me, that she is gradually introduced to her future role.

I recall William saying at their engagement interview, that lessons had been learned from the past. So it certainly makes sensce to me, that she is gradually introduced to her future role.

It also makes sense to me, but that is the point that the hard-to-please critics fall over: she has been his girlfriend for 8 years prior to marrying, she has seen and heard things, so what the heck must she be introduced to?

Some people forget that there is a difference between seeing and hearing things and actually being a part of something.

:previous: It's a definitely different perspective when you're on the outside looking in as opposed to being thrown in the thick of things and experiencing them firsthand!

This was posted on my twitter. There are two sides to everything; a negative and a positive. I see what the author is saying about the training making Catherine appear more poised in public, but to insinuate that this is an indoctrination of sorts is rather harsh. I don't see her losing her spark; it's who she is, but I do see her being just a little less exuberant. I certainly hope that she doesn't drop that charm that so many love about her. After watching William, who has received plenty of training, I don't see the loss of that human touch. He's very open (albeit uncomfortable) when in public, but I don't see him cringing when a child is reaching out to shake his hand.

Marilyn's Royal Blog: Why training Catherine to be Royal is a bad idea

:previous: I agree; I don't see Kate losing her very essence of her personality and charm, but it probably will be curbed a bit. I supposed she'll be honed into the image of a proper princess, but given William and Diana's appeal to the masses and conveying the human touch I'd like to think that Kate will follow suit.

:previous: I agree; I don't see Kate losing her very essence of her personality and charm, but it probably will be curbed a bit. I supposed she'll be honed into the image of a proper princess, but given William and Diana's appeal to the masses and conveying the human touch I'd like to think that Kate will follow suit.

I think when push comes to shove, Catherine will look to her husband for cues. They seem to work off of each other, and it did wonders. William lights up at public appearances because of Catherine's ease among people, and Catherine feels confident in her role when she sees his pride in her strides. William comes off as caring and compassionate person, who's not afraid to chat to regular people using slang (remember him using the word 'awesome' while visiting a facility for the homeless in [I believe] Quebec? How many times do we hear senior Royals talking like that?) I think (and hope) that she'll follow his lead.

Last edited:
Dear me - the knives are being drawn again, aren't they? Poor Duchess!

The fact is that this 'news' is old news. Catherine had a 'mentor' appointed well before the wedding - Sir David Manning - to advise and inform her on matters of state and foreign affairs.

The decision to appoint him as an adviser and "safe pair of hands" to guide the Duchess was seen as a move by royal courtiers not to make the same mistakes as were made with the late Diana, Princess of Wales, who felt that she was not adequately prepared for royal life.

The Queen is also said to have specifically requested that Sir David accompany Prince William on his first solo foreign tour last year to Australia and New Zealand, undertaken on behalf of the monarch and to accompany the royal couple on their first foreign tour of Canada after their wedding in April.

Sir David was earlier appointed as an adviser to Princes William and Harry on the instructions of the Queen when they formed their own private office at the beginning of 2009. He is an eminently distinguished diplomat, having been the UK's ambassador to Washington, and is seen to be playing a similar role to that of Gen. Sir Frederick Browning, a decorated soldier who fought in both world wars, who acted as an adviser to Princess Elizabeth in the 1940s. Please note: even a princess raised as a royal from birth and who was the heir for most of her young life needed a mentor and guidance.

The Duchess is an intelligent, educated woman and there can be no doubt that she is eager to understand the geo-political ramifications of the world that she is now part of and will be expected to represent on the Commonwealth's behalf. Critics should applaud the efforts of the Palace to adequately prepare the future Queen by ensuring that she's sufficiently au fait with current political (and historical) expectations.

Those who would suggest that it will, somehow, 'spoil' Catherine really don't know what they're talking about. Quite properly, the Duchess is expected to become more than just a smiling, pretty face who's merely a 'wifely support' for William.

I think when push comes to shove, Catherine will look to her husband for cues. They seem to work off of each other, and it did wonders. William lights up at public appearances because of Catherine's ease among people, and Catherine feels confident in her role when she sees his pride in her strides. William comes off as caring and compassionate person, who's not afraid to chat to regular people using slang (remember him using the word 'awesome' while visiting a facility for the homeless in [I believe] Quebec? How many times do we hear senior Royals talking like that?) I think (and hope) that she'll follow his lead.

I can imagine a lot of us can look back and remember being newlyweds and having that "You and me against the world" feelings that I have to imagine that William and Kate are still experiencing. Feeling so good to be getting off work and head home to someone that is just as eagerly waiting for your arrival. Their lives together in the future are probably something that they both are planning, discussing and preparing for together and I would very much doubt that any decision that is made by either one of them right now would be a sole decision. :D

As far as watching the telly goes... I'm really really surprised at folks for not even suggesting that Kate gets on the computer, FBs her BFFEs, plays online WoW and has her own fantasy polo team! For all we know, she could still be helping out with Party Pieces.
Whatever she does, its none of our business. That's what privacy means.

All in good time....

Also, a major advantage is that William has a job that's not a sinecure so that brings him into the orbit of a very normal world outside the rarified circles he moves in, so he's therefore able to meet and associate with people on their own level. Kate is educated, intelligent and has had a normal upbringing which brings more normality for William that he holds near and dear. I really can't wait to see this couple in action in the years ahead.

I can imagine a lot of us can look back and remember being newlyweds and having that "You and me against the world" feelings that I have to imagine that William and Kate are still experiencing. Feeling so good to be getting off work and head home to someone that is just as eagerly waiting for your arrival. Their lives together in the future are probably something that they both are planning, discussing and preparing for together and I would very much doubt that any decision that is made by either one of them right now would be a sole decision. :D

As far as watching the telly goes... I'm really really surprised at folks for not even suggesting that Kate gets on the computer, FBs her BFFEs, plays online WoW and has her own fantasy polo team! For all we know, she could still be helping out with Party Pieces.
Whatever she does, its none of our business. That's what privacy means.

All in good time....

This cracked me up :ROFLMAO:. Who knows, maybe she even visits this forum. Under a name that we'd never, ever see her choosing either :D.

On a serious note though, you're correct. It's none of our business what she does when behind closed doors.

You know, I could well imagine Kate still having a hand in Party Pieces since it's such a family affair and she might want to remain involved for now (in between her lessons on statecraft, protocol and procedures, government affairs, researching charities etc.) Who knows what input she still contributes? That's an interesting thought.

Last edited:
You know, I could well imagine Kate still having a hand in Party Pieces since it's such a family affair and she might want to remain involved for now (in between her lessons on statecraft, protocol and procedures, government affairs, researching charities etc.) Who knows what input she still contributes? That's an interesting thought.

If that's the case, I think it's wonderful. It gives her something to do, and allows her to be with her family (in some capacity). I imagine both are very important to her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom