Duchess of Cambridge: What Now for Catherine? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
PrincessKaimi said:
I'm so surprised that so many think she should have "duties." Why? She should have whatever "duties" she and her new husband decide.

And as to purely ceremonial roles being considered worthwhile, well. Meh. Pure ceremonial is pointless.

Well I can only speak for myself but I think she should have duties because she is a future Queen, marrying a Prince who performs duties and into the BRF where having duties is expected, celebrated and considered traditional - why should Kate be held to any difference expection in that regard in being married to an heir? Even if he is heir to heir - just my opinion

I'm so surprised that so many think she should have "duties." Why? She should have whatever "duties" she and her new husband decide.

And as to purely ceremonial roles being considered worthwhile, well. Meh. Pure ceremonial is pointless.

Why? Because that is what royals do. That is their job. Their role is purely ceremonial. It is to look good, wave at people, make pretty speeches written by someone else, say the right thing and that is it. Charities are seen as a great avenue for them to use to do these things in aid of but that is all. For the last century and more the British royal family have been ceremonial and not much more.

The powers of Queen Victoria were once described as 'the power to advise, to warn and to be consulted'. Full stop, end of powers.

So with no power what else are they to do - sit at home on their backsides and do nothing or do something to inspire and encourage the people - that is what the duties are about - helping other people, raising money for charity and raising the profile of various issues.

The provide entertainment through their duties.

Why? Because that is what royals do. That is their job. Their role is purely ceremonial. It is to look good, wave at people, make pretty speeches written by someone else, say the right thing and that is it. Charities are seen as a great avenue for them to use to do these things in aid of but that is all.

:previous:Quite, right for the most part however I do not think your description above applies entirely to Catherine...

For the last century and more the British royal family have been ceremonial and not much more.

The powers of Queen Victoria were once described as 'the power to advise, to warn and to be consulted'. Full stop, end of powers.

:previous:Well, the Queen, as head of state, has many powers, more than most people think...she just "shares them":)...but that is a topic for another thread

...do something to inspire and encourage the people - that is what the duties are about - helping other people, raising money for charity and raising the profile of various issues.

The provide entertainment through their duties.

:previous:IMO for Catherine to take on that approach too soon, in regards to "duties and roles" is a recipe for disaster. She should be given as much time as necessary to make as smooth a transition into her new status as royalty as possible. I don't believe Catherine becoming a patron of a charity and giving speeches to raise funds and awareness with much ado would be a proper method of this approach.

There are going to be an assortment of changes that Catherine will have to confront immediately following her wedding...not just the obvious ones, name (which I know is a topic on another thread)...residence...media perception...but there are also more subtle changes she will face:

i.e. soldiers and sailors of all ranks saluting you...being introduced every where you go...having people twice your age bow and curtsy to you...everyone in a room stand when you enter...the presence of armed personnel (well she may be used to that already)...quite intimidating, wouldn't you agree?

Attendance at royal engagements or ceremonies might, just might, help ease these lifestyle modifications that will initiate as result of Catherine becoming royal. Again IMO it is paramount that Catherine has an unproblematic as possible switch from life as a commoner to life as a royal.

Indeed, personally I think I'd die of embarrassment if people suddenly started having to bow & curtsey to me, or salute me etc. Or if all of a sudden I had to "become" regal & smile & wave to the masses from horse drawn carriages. I would find it hysterically funny & also embarrassing simply because of how different you'd be perceived & how others have to react to you. I'd feel self-conscious & awkward for the people having to do the curtseying etc. I think it'd take getting used to if you haven't lived your entire life being bowed to & waved at & not been around people who have had those sorts of experiences all their lives. I would just find it hilarious & embarrassing to suddenly be the one who everyone acted like that to. But then thankfully it's not me marrying into the Royal Family! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I totally agree with both of you. I would not know how to deal with it. Then again, I would rather not marry a prince - too much to give up for. I prefer to watch her marrying hers :D

Both Zonk (see under) and IluvBertie have covered the Wimbledon thing, it's not going to happen.
In regards to Wimbeldon, the Duke of Kent is President of the All England Lawn and Tennis and Croquet Club so unless he gives up that patronage (which is certainly possible as he is 68) and William becomes President. I don't think you will see Catherine presenting. Maybe attending but that is about it.

This is not a role for a Princess. The Royal Family would oversea in a general sense but not actually work at something like this, besides which she would have to actually be at work 9 - 5 5 days a week in London/Windsor rather than be in Wales with William.

If she wasn't engaged to William then yes it would maybe suit her, if she has the qualifications, but a Princess - no way.

Oh, I didnt mean Catherine should take this job. I just found the information interesting that the Royal Collection plans an online project which has to do obviously with publishing photographs and with the Royal genealogy, so probably unseen pictures and portraits of the RF.

As they seem to think that the cataloguing of the pics should be finished by 2013 according to the job advert, it would coincidence with the end of William's contract, no? So this will be the time when William and Catherine will spend more time in London and in the place where they will have their weekend retreat, which could well be in the Windsor area. Thus Catherine could take over a leading role with the project, if she wanted. She after all has experience with online projects if it is true that she worked in that aera for her parent's business. Plus her dissertation at St. Andrews had to do with interpretations of artistic photography, so she obviously is interested in such a topic. And she will be a Royal, so must know which pic to publish and which not... :flowers:

For I don't think she will be too much on public display in order not to steal the limelight from Camilla. Not that I believe she'd want to, but it could happen simply through being at one place as the young princess while Camilla is doing another Royal engagement at another place and look what the media will report then... It happened to Charles/Anne/Andrew and Diana OTOH and I recall that Anne minded it as well as Charles. So I doubt Catherine will look for the big public appearances but rather select a job behind the scene where she can present her work from time to time to the public and do parts in documentaries about the collections of Art of the RF but in general is doing nothing comparable to what Camilla does. Just my thoughts, of course.

Catherine and Camilla's lunch with each other yesterday may have been a glimpse into the future for the both of them...perhaps they will do events together (or Catherine and Sophie)...just a thought, just a thought

Maybe this approach can lessen the impact of Catherine's acclimation to the role of a royal wife in the BRF....

Last edited:
Based on the engagements undertaken in the last few weeks, I can see Catherine growing into her royal role. I do suspect for the first few months, she will be shepherded in her engagements by William, and possibly Camilla before she starts doing solo engagements.

Any ideas on thwe causes you would like to see her support?

:previous: Personally, perhaps something with Homeopathy, Organics and Horticulture, Rehabilitation (human or animals) and Sports. Just to name a few.

Last edited:
:previous: Personally, perhaps something with Homeopathy, Organics and Horticulture, Rehabilitation (human or animals) and Sports. Just to name a few.

She will certainly get support from her father-in-law if she chose to get involved with alternative medicine and anthing organic!

:previous: I hope she does. And it would be nice that she should have the total support of her father in-law and that he would have someone within his inner circle who also finds such causes to be of significant importance, thus worthy of patronage.

Her future role???

Her role is simply to be there. William will have a role but Kate actually won't - she will look pretty, have a couple of babies and that really is all her life is from now on. She doesn't have a 'role'.

To me the term 'role' means something official.

She won't have any official role but simply be expected to support her husband (hopefully she understands this and won't begin to think that she is somehow important for herself).

Well, how about her future role as a mother? Perhaps she feels that she should be confirmed and become stronger in her own faith before she begins raising children, one of whom will become the head of the Church of England.

So the DoE doesn't have a "role"? The Queen Mother didn't have a "role"? Silly me - here I was thinking they were important people in the BRF. Thanks for straightening me out. :rolleyes:

Her future role???
ok... breath!:huh:
First, I must address how unnecessarily rude your response was, but that doesn't come as a shock really.
If you read it again you realize I did not specify the role, or DID I?? No
So before using my post to once more show your dislike for Catherine I would suggest you to ask me first.
So the DoE doesn't have a "role"? The Queen Mother didn't have a "role"? Silly me - here I was thinking they were important people in the BRF. Thanks for straightening me out. :rolleyes:
Well, how about her future role as a mother? Perhaps she feels that she should be confirmed and become stronger in her own faith before she begins raising children, one of whom will become the head of the Church of England.
Amen!

I'm always amaze at some who have the time to spend in threads they dislike.

Bertie, although I have respect for your considerable knowledge of the history of the RF, I have to disagree with you on this one. To say Kate doesn't have a role outside of looking pretty and popping out babies is an insult. To say she won't have a role outside of supporting her husband is to discount any contribution that other royal wives have made. Was Diana's only role in supporting her husband (cough, cough), looking pretty and popping out babies?

Catherine/Kate's official role will of course being a support to her husband since ideally they will be a team. However, she will have other official duties on behalf of the RF and roles in supporting her own charitable causes and being an ambassador for the RF within the UK or when traveling abroad. She will bring attention to whatever she chooses to direct her interest and passion towards because she will be watched by the media and the world in what she does. This will either be positive or negative, but it will be noticed. She will bring in considerable money to charities she supports and attention to causes she speaks out about.

How many of us can say the same?

If Kate did her own makeup for the engagement pics, then there's quite a bit of air brushing going on. She looks flawless in that photo and she does not have great skin. Though, it is the Mail.

As for Kate's role, I have to agree with Iluvbertie. Romancing her position is just that: romancing. Just like them having a big white wedding (ILBertie will disagree with me) after having lived together is a romancing show. Disagree all you want, but when you ramp it down to the bare bones, Kate has no role. Although she has been on public appearances, I have never thought of Kate (what I have heard of her that isn't romanced) as a willing participant and feel she will do only what she needs to do.

Last edited:
:previous:
Again, can you please not state your opinion as fact?
In that rather narrow minded way of thinking, none of us have a role or identity outside of marriage and motherhood. As for Kate not being a willing to particpant in the appearances of late, what possible evidence do you have of that?
Agreed.

Kate's future.

Poor Kate. She'll forever be criticized if she does too well, and if she doesn't do well enough...

I'd like to think she is sincere in her love for Prince William, who, even if he were not a prince, is a handsome, athletic, hard working, smart, sincere and kind fellow and would probably be very attractive to many women, no matter what. She has a "hard row to hoe," as the old saying goes, and while it all looks glamorous, she will be under the microscope for the rest of her life.

So I for one would like to cut her a break and think that she is sincere in her approach to her marriage and her future role. For those who think she doesn't have a role, one could look at the path Prince Philip has taken as consort in many, many charitable organizations, the preservation and improvement of royal properties and acting as a close advisor to the queen on a host of issues over the years. And he still at almost ninety is the last thing from a lie-abed. Kate seems to have a good deal of energy and that touch of perfectionism that says she will not take life for granted.

With all due respect, Skippy, can you prove that it is not fact? Let me know!

In that rather narrow minded way of thinking, none of us have a role or identity outside of marriage and motherhood. As for Kate not being a willing to particpant in the appearances of late, what possible evidence do you have of that?

Firstly, I was not speaking of the engagements before the wedding. Secondly, what evidence do you have that I am incorrect?
------------------------------
I predict we'll reach a stalemate.

if Catherine were to wear a Burca or wear piercing or say she is pro-choice, I can easily see those who would, oh so fast come here and say:"What about here role as a representative of the CoE", "She can't do that and be married to the future Supreme Governor" and so on.

Catherine's role will be the same as of previous partners. Never did I said something different, but again that wasn't the point when the 1º post about it was made, was it? it was just an opportunity to criticize!

We are talking about the BRF for crying out loud!! It' pretty much about pageantry and "representative" roles. That goes from the Top Chef up to the Duke of Schtyberketrshire.

About the whole "her job is to look good" thing. I wouldn't completely said that's nonsense, If tomorrow she would be formerly asked by the British Fashion Council, or whatever the real name is, to represent British Brands. hell yes to-look-good would be a job. As silly and as shallow one might considered, the simple fact Catherine chooses to wear something gives the piece a very special place on the market, people see + people like it = people buy iT -> the economy appreciates it !!!!!
If that is not clear, there's a scene from The Devil Wears Prada, where the Boss explain to the intern how naive she was about the fashion world ( I tried to find it on YT but couldn't)

Anyways, I don't think it's wrong to say "come'on, it's not like she will be the PM" but I also agree that it's single minded to think that the only thing she is representing is her uterus.

With all due respect, Skippy, can you prove that it is not fact? Let me know!

I can ask you the same question: can you prove that it is fact?

Again, what evidence do you have that I am incorrect?
------------------------------
I predict we'll reach a stalemate.[/QUOTE]

...I also agree that it's single minded to think that the only thing she is representing is her uterus.
Her uterus is far more important to the BRF than her shoes. I'll not respond any further.

I have to disagree as well. Diana didn't have a role and we all know how that played out. Do you really think the BRF wants a repeat of that? I doubt it. I think Kate will definitely have a role as William's wife - just as Mette-Marit, Mary, Maxima and Letizia have in their perspective countries. It will certainly take time for Kate to develop in this role, but she'll have one - opening charities for causes that are important to her, representing the Queen at an official function when she, Charles or William can't, or going with them to said function. Perhaps she and William will represent the Queen and the Monegasque wedding in July? Maybe Kate will open her own foundation one day for a cause that's hit home for her. We'll just have to wait and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom