Duchess of Cambridge: What Now for Catherine? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I fail to understand why they can't work on their marriage and do royal duties. After all William will still be a rescue pilot, right? So why can't Kate at least attend a few duties a week. I am not advocating 4 or 5 a day. At least not yet:flowers: I am suprised that the Queen would make such a decision given that she seems like she works so hard even at her age. I feel that this attitude expressed by William and Kate could lead to them becoming irrelevant particularly at a time when people are struggling. After all the royal family is viewed through the changing attitudes of the society around them.

There may be a number of reasons - William's schedule of course as she would like to be available to be with him as much as possible, not exposing her on her own too much too soon, not taking away from the work of the older royals (a young couple will certainly overshadow the oldies like The Queen and Charles), and simply giving them a chance to make their marriage work.

I'm not convinced that a very private couple William & Catherine is what is going to emerge after the wedding. Let's wait and see, shall we?

But in times when the public more and more demands that the Royals should come cheaper and get less money from the taxpayer I personally can understand that those of the Royals who are not payed by the public decide to live like other taxpayers and their family (after all Charles pays taxes!) and that means to do volonteer work only when they want it.

William is a professional pilot serving in the army. He is able to support his wife so she can stay at home if she so chooses. Why should she be forced to do something she doesn't like when she is not payed for it? Noone except Royals are treated that way...

William is a professional pilot serving in the army. He is able to support his wife so she can stay at home if she so chooses. Why should she be forced to do something she doesn't like when she is not payed for it? Noone except Royals are treated that way...

For the two years after their wedding, his SAR work is going to come first and foremost with William and of course Kate will want to be with him in Wales like any new bride. I do think though as we see them do engagements together now and then, we're going to see a very happy couple and they will enjoy what they are doing. They just will not be taking on full time royal duties until after William's stint in SAR is over. He's also been lobbying to not have the SAR squad go private I think and it wouldn't surprise me one bit that if he can, he'd sign on for a longer term. As long as these two have been together, its a given that Kate is well aware of what she will be expected to do and if she had not wanted to take on these duties, she would not have chosen a life with William. Actually I believe that the royals ARE paid for their engagements. It is their private funds that are supported by the Queen or the Prince of Wales.

Queen’s 2yrs off for Prince William and Kate after royal wedding | The Sun |News

And the saga continues ... Another excuse found not to work. People, including me, will think: why does Britain need another Princess when she is not even serving the country in return?

And after 2 years she will get pregant and have an extended maternity leave and will get pregant again... it could take a decade to get Kate finally working.

If this is true, the BRF is really foolish enough to believe that the public opinion wont turn against them dramatically once both hard working oldies have gone, the last ones with a sense of duty and knowing what serving country and people really means.

Last edited by a moderator:
Queen’s 2yrs off for Prince William and Kate after royal wedding | The Sun |News

And the saga continues ... Another excuse found not to work. People, including me, will think: why does Britain need another Princess when she is not even serving the country in return?

And after 2 years she will get pregant and have an extended maternity leave and will get pregant again... it could take a decade to get Kate finally working.

If this is true, the BRF is really foolish enough to believe that the public opinion wont turn against them dramatically once both hard working oldies have gone, the last ones with a sense of duty and knowing what serving country and people really means.

Lets not just get excited before we know how Kate may or may not deal with her royal role. Given that she will be living in Wales will no doubt put certain restrictions on what she does, and hwo she does it.

I suspect there will be a low profile entry for Kate into the royal world. She will no doubt do the usual summer events - Trooping, Garter, possibly Ascot. She will probably do a few other engagements with Wills, or perhaps with Camilla, and gradually build up her portfolio of causes to support. IMO, you are unlikly to see her doing a 100 engagements in year 1 or anything like that. She is unlikley (and I really do not think it would be required) for her to spend considerable amounts of time away from Wales on the road carrying out engagements.

Last edited:
I don't understand why some people are so negative about Kate at this stage. I think she should be given the benefit of the doubt. She seems to be a pleasant, intelligent woman, and she knows William and his family well enought to know what's expected of her and I don't think she would have taken him on if she wasn't prepared to do the job.

I feel sure that she gradually be introduced to Royal duties and that those duties will increase with time as she gains the necessary skills and confidence. She will initially just accompany William to get used to being "on show" constantly and having cameras trained on her, watching her every move and waiting for her to sneer or swear or scratch herself. Then she'll have to get used to talking and thinking on her feet while still managing to constantly smile, etc. She'll be gradually introduced to it all, and I'm sure she'll do her best. I am sure that she has already given consideration to the causes she will take on.

As for her taking time off to have babies and being on "maternity leave" for a while, she can hardly be criticised for that since that is her main job.

I don't understand why some people are so negative about Kate at this stage. I think she should be given the benefit of the doubt. She seems to be a pleasant, intelligent woman, and she knows William and his family well enought to know what's expected of her and I don't think she would have taken him on if she wasn't prepared to do the job.

I feel sure that she gradually be introduced to Royal duties and that those duties will increase with time as she gains the necessary skills and confidence. She will initially just accompany William to get used to being "on show" constantly and having cameras trained on her, watching her every move and waiting for her to sneer or swear or scratch herself. Then she'll have to get used to talking and thinking on her feet while still managing to constantly smile, etc. She'll be gradually introduced to it all, and I'm sure she'll do her best. I am sure that she has already given consideration to the causes she will take on.

As for her taking time off to have babies and being on "maternity leave" for a while, she can hardly be criticised for that since that is her main job.

I agree with you and I don't understand why some people are so negative either. It's not like she has done any of us any harm. I also say give her the benefit of the doubt.

But some people will never be pleased...

Actually I believe that the royals ARE paid for their engagements. It is their private funds that are supported by the Queen or the Prince of Wales.

They are not paid for their engagements. What happens is that if the government says 'we want you to do xxxx' then like any employer they pay the expenses e.g. the cost of getting to the engagements.

They aren't paid xxxx pounds to open a hospital wing and yyyy pounds to do Trooping the Colour.

Royals all used to get payments annually from the Civil List as a salary type thing but that ended in 1992 and now only the Queen and Philip get that but rather than repeal the original legislation that gave those payments to Andrew and Anne and the others the Queen decided to reimburse the government for those payments annually.

When a royal goes overseas it depends on who wants them to go as to who picks up the bill for the expenses e.g. an official visit agreed by the governments of both countries will see those two countries picking up the expenses bill - such as transport and security but as for a salary as such no - none of them get one.

If William and Kate do not take the time to build up their marriage and get Kate used to Royal life, we could see another disastrous decade like the 80's. This would not be a good thing for the monarchy at all. They are people, after all, and deserve to make sure their relationship can weather the storms of royal life.

If William and Kate do not take the time to build up their marriage and get Kate used to Royal life, we could see another disastrous decade like the 80's. This would not be a good thing for the monarchy at all. They are people, after all, and deserve to make sure their relationship can weather the storms of royal life.

I don't think that anyone is saying that they shouldn't work on their relationship but that is also a life-long project. I also don't expect her to do hundreds of engagements right away but she is capable of doing more than just ascot and the trooping of the color. That is the problem with having William as her sole trainer. It allows them the "excuse" of only working when they can because of his military situation.

What I don't understand is why they are having this huge wedding if not to announce them as a working couple. If they wanted to market them as more of a low-key couple then a ceremony at Windsor Castle would have been far more suitable.

What I don't understand is why they are having this huge wedding if not to announce them as a working couple. If they wanted to market them as more of a low-key couple then a ceremony at Windsor Castle would have been far more suitable.

The huge wedding has nothing to do with what they will be doing after April 29th but to recognise that William will be King of the UK after the passing of his grandmother and father (hopefully in 30 - 40 years - yes I can see Charles living to over 100).

They will have plenty of time to be full time working royals but the wedding does reflect his position.

The huge wedding has nothing to do with what they will be doing after April 29th but to recognise that William will be King of the UK after the passing of his grandmother and father (hopefully in 30 - 40 years - yes I can see Charles living to over 100).

They will have plenty of time to be full time working royals but the wedding does reflect his position.

I see your point but to me it does. A smaller wedding would mean a smaller role in the family if they would even have one at all. A bigger wedding to me creates more expectations about the role he should be performing.
Then again :whistling:.

I see your point but to me it does. A smaller wedding would mean a smaller role in the family if they would even have one at all. A bigger wedding to me creates more expectations about the role he should be performing.
Then again :whistling:.

He will be King one day and hence, in time he will have a huge role to play. Whether that is this year or 20 years time the fact remains he is going to have the largest role to play in the royal family and hence he should have the largest wedding possible.

I hope that they can just William and Katherine, wedded military couple for a little while, with a few engagements thrown in there. I really would like them to have a few quiet years together. But we'll have to see what the future holds for them.

The last thiing I ever want to hear coming out of peoples mouth is that she will become the house wife that William needs. I had that said to me a few times after I got engadged and when I married. Kate is a smart, bright, beauitful girl, I hope that she contiues to do go for the people of England, even if its just being at Wills side like Prince Daniel

Are Prince William, Kate Middleton North America bound? - CNN.com

Not sure if its true but it might be a nice start. Though I do think it would send mixed signals. They either need to convey they are low-key royals or busy royals.

As for the wedding celebrations being about William's future I just feel that since everyone knows his position in the royal line-up there is no need for a flashy celebration like this. A better way to keep announcing his role would be for him to attend the opening of parliament or maybe even a state dinner. Maybe they could even come up with a way for Charles, Camilla and Harry to go as well. (state opening of parliament) It may be off topic but I have always wondered why more members of the family don't go? Not enough space?

Charles and Diana and even Anne have attended the State Opening but the decision was made in the 80s or 90s to cut down the number of members.
I can't see them going back to a larger contingent. The next time we see Charles at the State Opening will be when he is King (unless he has to become Regent) and we probably won't see William there for 30 or so years - when he is King.

Charles and Diana and even Anne have attended the State Opening but the decision was made in the 80s or 90s to cut down the number of members.

I can't see them going back to a larger contingent. The next time we see Charles at the State Opening will be when he is King (unless he has to become Regent) and we probably won't see William there for 30 or so years - when he is King.

It is a pity we won't see more members there. I think it would be a great chance to show family unity during a time that is not just limited to the trooping of the color. Maybe they could just sit in another area of the house of lords rather than next to the Queen. Then again if it is about too many people attending where they sit won't matter.

It is a pity we won't see more members there. I think it would be a great chance to show family unity during a time that is not just limited to the trooping of the color. Maybe they could just sit in another area of the house of lords rather than next to the Queen. Then again if it is about too many people attending where they sit won't matter.

As the Opening of Parliament is a government occasion that formally opens the session of Parliament, I hardly think its a time to put the royal family on parade. The Queen is the titular head of state although with no real power in the government but to mark history and tradition. She officially opens the sessions of "her" government, signs their documents and maybe advise the PM but that's about as far as her "powers" go. It does add a bit of pomp and pageantry to the occasion though.
There is absolutely no purpose for any other members of the family to attend.

This is how I understand it. I'm sure that if I'm wrong on anything, someone will set the record straight and I'll learn. :D

The wedding celebration is not about conveying whether W&C are "busy" or "low key" royals - given his role in the succession, he is central to the future of the monarchy.

Given that there are enough older royals, William has not entered royal duties full time, which I am sure he has agreed with HM. I have no doubt that W&C will increase their roster of royal engagements, and will start to attend state banquets in time.

I understand that some people think that the wedding is about his future but I don't see it that way. It seems like a waste to me. Just an opinion.

As for the state opening of parliament; they used to have both Charles, Anne and later on Charles and Diana go. I don't think it is far fetched to have more people go, they must have just decided on a more low-key approach.

I understand that some people think that the wedding is about his future but I don't see it that way. It seems like a waste to me. Just an opinion.

What do you see the royal wedding as, and why is it a waste?

Weddings per se? Only royal weddings, or only this particular royal wedding?

I don't think its seen as being about William's future, although it very much is, but more of a sign of the continuance of the monarchy and royal family.

Even though the monarchy is considered redundant by some, I think the underlying sentiment of hope for the future is a big key. With a marriage union, it assures in a way that there will be future generations ahead to preserve and honor the ages old traditions of the British people.

That's my take on it. :flowers:

BBC News - Royal wedding: What is the point of official foreign visits?

Royal wedding: What is the point of official foreign visits?

Speculation is rife about where William and Kate will head for on their first official foreign visit. But one thing is for sure, says BBC royal correspondent Peter Hunt, they will hope it goes better than Charles and Diana's first overseas trip.
Was this, I wondered, what it was like to be a prize exhibit in a zoo? Standing in a raised, cordoned off section of an Auckland bar, I watched as countless New Zealanders held their camera phones aloft and took pictures -- again and again and again. I was an incidental prey. Their target was the younger, taller, but also follicly challenged, individual chatting to me.
On that evening, last year, Prince William experienced the delights of the company of the British reporters who follow him on tour, while also being reminded of the interest he generates even when thousands of miles from home.

What languages do they speak...William,Kate,Henry ?????

English, a little French or Italian perhaps.

I don't know if anyone actually knows for sure what, if any, foreign languages they can speak but just making an assumption from the type of schooling they went through I'd assume there is at least some knowledge (maybe not fluent at all but a little knowledge) of French, Latin, German & maybe Spanish.

I'm so surprised that so many think she should have "duties." Why? She should have whatever "duties" she and her new husband decide.

And as to purely ceremonial roles being considered worthwhile, well. Meh. Pure ceremonial is pointless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom