Duchess of Cambridge: What Now for Catherine? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She quite clearly qualifies for the "middle class status".

Very interesting article, so some British think the monarchy needs to be saved? More interesting are the comments, she hardly qualifies as "middle class", bearig in mind that she never worked and her parents are millionaires.
I don´t think monarchy will be saved at all. Modernity and monarchy are not compatible.

In the UK she is considered "middle class" (or "upper middle class") because her parents, while millionaires, are "new money" which can never be considered "upper class" in England. I'm pretty sure that "Upper class" in the UK is reserved for the aristocracy. It's like the Beckhams, wealthy as heck, but never "upper class", only nouveau riche "middle class". I don't make this crap up. I'm just the messenger. :lol:

In the UK she is considered "middle class" (or "upper middle class") because her parents, while millionaires, are "new money" which can never be considered "upper class" in England. I'm pretty sure that "Upper class" in the UK is reserved for the aristocracy. It's like the Beckhams, wealthy as heck, but never "upper class", only nouveau riche "middle class". I don't make this crap up. I'm just the messenger. :lol:

Its like that in the States as well...if you can't date your family lineage to the Mayflower, or the founding of a colony...you might have money and a little presitge...but you will never be along the lines of the Astors, the Posts, etc. Even the Kennedy's and the Vanderbilts are considered noveau riche today. Heck...the Kelly family was not considered to be Main Line. Not our kind..darling!

So Kate is definitely upper middle class. Nothing wrong with that. A lof of the British upper class and aristocracy are from the wrong side of the blanket or are five to ten generations back from being "noble"

Its like that in the States as well...if you can't date your family lineage to the Mayflower, or the founding of a colony...you might have money and a little presitge...but you will never be along the lines of the Astors, the Posts, etc. Even the Kennedy's and the Vanderbilts are considered noveau riche today. Heck...the Kelly family was not considered to be Main Line. Not our kind..darling!

So Kate is definitely upper middle class. Nothing wrong with that. A lof of the British upper class and aristocracy are from the wrong side of the blanket or are five to ten generations back from being "noble"

And Catherine/Kate's parents are self-made millionaires. I do think "class" is more based on money in the States than in the UK, but self made millionaires aren't considered upper class in the States either. At least not in my experience. Bill Gates has a honkin' big house here in Seattle, but he's not considered upper class. Just self-made rich.

I have a few questions/concerns

firstly i'm wondering what sort of charities Kate will persue once she begins to do engagements on her own(what is she interested and what does she want to learn more about)

secondly I wonder if once the wedding is over the tabs will spin this and begin to only focus on Kate's official engagements kinda like what they did to Charles, not that William will mind but I'm more concerned for his charities!Though i'm sure this is about a year or so off. Anyways that's all(for now! till i think of more questions) hope I put this in the right place if not feel free to move.

I don't know how anyone can answer that for you here. Only Kate would be able to answer that, and time will tell what she finds a passion for as patroness. I don't think she will have any real official role while Prince William is in the RAF, and if she does it will more than likely be supporting the Royal Family or Prince Wiliam in his official charities.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think your concerns are quite justified. Kate will obviosly start to do charitable work in a carefully paced way and build this up over the coming years. I think that many charities and organisations will start to write to Kate especially after she is married to ask her to become their patron/president etc. This will allow Kate to discuss and decide carefully upon her options and to choose charities that she could make a particular difference to or ones that she is particularly interested in.

It might be a good idea if Kate started off by doing more "background work" privately with William's charities rather than just attending events with him for his charities.

Her public appearance should be carefully managed and restricted to just a few to start off with along with the more important occassions such as Trooping the Colour, Remeberance, Church at Christmas and Easter etc.

The phrase "save the monarchy" assumes that the monarchy is in peril, about to be abolished or is under threat. Those who would prefer a republic will still prefer a republic regardless of the popularity of the monarchy. At the moment, Kate is about to get married, kind of "move house" and "change jobs" all at the same time, which I think is probably enough to deal with at the moment!!!

Because her name IS Catherine. If she prefers to called Catherine, then she has that right since it's the name she was born with. My name is Catherine as well, and only allow family and friends I grew up with to call me "Cathy" (which I detest). She will be the future Princess of Wales, and Queen. Princess Kate, or Queen Kate just doesn't sound right. Princess Catherine and Queen Catherine....Well, I certainly like it! :D

Princess Catherine sounds wrong as she won't be that she will be Princess William of Wales. She wasn't born a Princess and thus won't be a Princess in her own right.

Very interesting article, so some British think the monarchy needs to be saved? More interesting are the comments, she hardly qualifies as "middle class", bearig in mind that she never worked and her parents are millionaires.
I don´t think monarchy will be saved at all. Modernity and monarchy are not compatible.

First off she is middle class as her family aren't noble or aristocratic, nor are they working class. Her family comes from the middle rung - between working class, being those who work with their hands and the aristocracy who own the land and other major means of wealth creation.

She did work for her parents. To say otherwise is to accuse them and her of lying for years and we have no proof that she didn't work for them. What we do have is the continual assertion from her family that she worked in their family business for most of the time since she left uni.

Because her name IS Catherine. If she prefers to called Catherine, then she has that right since it's the name she was born with. My name is Catherine as well, and only allow family and friends I grew up with to call me "Cathy" (which I detest). She will be the future Princess of Wales, and Queen. Princess Kate, or Queen Kate just doesn't sound right. Princess Catherine and Queen Catherine....Well, I certainly like it! :D

It has been said that she will be known as Catherine from now on, but do we know which name (Kate/Catherine) she herself prefers?
I believe I read on this forum somewhere, just after the engagement was announced, that she doesn't mind either Kate or Catherine. Aka she is fine with both.

First off she is middle class as her family aren't noble or aristocratic, nor are they working class. Her family comes from the middle rung - between working class, being those who work with their hands and the aristocracy who own the land and other major means of wealth creation.

She did work for her parents. To say otherwise is to accuse them and her of lying for years and we have no proof that she didn't work for them. What we do have is the continual assertion from her family that she worked in their family business for most of the time since she left uni.

The poster you quote is always sneering towards Catherine (and towards Charlene Wittstock too), it becomes rather tiring.

I agree with everyone else so far! As William is still only second in line to the throne and is firmly busy in his careeer, I think it will allow Kate time to steadily grown into her new role by taking on various charitable causes over the next few years but in a quiet and modest way, thus enabling her to become well established in the role. As for children, well they will come along when they come along!

I think so, too, in regard to William. I do hope that Camilla will help her with her first steps without William, just like Camilla got help till she felt confident enough to add her own patronages and have solo engagements.

I'm sure we haven't seen the real "Catherine" yet as she by purpose decided to live quietly till her official introduction as a Royal fiancée and bride. I'm sure we will find out a bit more of her now, about her interests and the way she interacts wth the people. Short before the announcement the people of her village started talking about her and all said that she has a friendly, charming, even "bubbly" personality. William mentioned that she has humour. We know that she is dignified, add humour and a sunny disposition and you have a person people will come to like and respect, once they get to know her better.

I'm sure there will be patronages on offer and she will choose those she can relate to. And if she likes to return to the world of the Arts, there surely is an appropriate place as a chatelaine of the Royal collections for a future queen.

As much as the Danes have learned from Charles and Diana (introduction of Diana as a working Royal and the way not to handle divorces) and did it much better with Alexandra, Mary and Marie, as much the British Royals can now learn from them for Catherine. Eg. to give her space and privacy in the beginning like they did with Marie, who, having started out with local patronages at Tondern in South Denmark where she lives at Prince Joachim's country manor most of the time (and who is praised for that), now does more and more national and even international engagements as a confident member of the Royal family. And not to make Mary's mistake of taking on fashion patronages too early (though these are important for the Danish fashion industry and she does it very well.)

If I could advise Catherine, I'd go for Welsh patronages first. These have the advantage that not so many reporters will come from London but enough to be in the media in a positive way. Plus she will be able to spend as much time with William as possible as long as they both need their closeness. Later even happily married couples want their own time for themselves but in the beginning it simply hurts to be separated - no need to add this burden too early on Catherine. From local engagements she can return home directly afterwards. And sometimes William could make an impromtu appearance, which would add to her media shine as it would show his deep commitment to her and to charitable engagements.

So first slow moves on a local scene plus appearances as part of the Royal family where the others can help her while starting her family, then slowly entering the London and international scene with patronages that can include fashion once she is securely settled as William's future queen.

I wouldn't wonder if she takes over Lord Snowdon's role as the Royal family photographer if she is really as talented as has been told. We all know how sucessful Charles is with his books - so she could cooperate with him as a photographer and could add to her reputation as artist without being seen as somebody to trades on her Royal connections. There are many ways the wife of a prince can use her talents and her heart to shape her public images as well as carving out a niche or better: a secure position for herself without leaving the Royal sphere she married into. I'm sure the future Princess William will use her possibilities and come out on top. Now that she may dare to shine.

With Kate having studied art history, I would love to tour the Royal Collection with her. Think of all those works of art that belong to the Queen! I've been to the Queen's Gallery and look at the Royal Collection's online exhibitions, and it seems fitting that Kate could take a role there.

If I could advise Catherine, I'd go for Welsh patronages first. These have the advantage that not so many reporters will come from London but enough to be in the media in a positive way. Plus she will be able to spend as much time with William as possible as long as they both need their closeness. Later even happily married couples want their own time for themselves but in the beginning it simply hurts to be separated - no need to add this burden too early on Catherine. From local engagements she can return home directly afterwards. And sometimes William could make an impromtu appearance, which would add to her media shine as it would show his deep commitment to her and to charitable engagements.

So first slow moves on a local scene plus appearances as part of the Royal family where the others can help her while starting her family, then slowly entering the London and international scene with patronages that can include fashion once she is securely settled as William's future queen.

Welsh patronages would also strengthen her position as a future Princess of Wales, so this may prove a strong possiblity.

The phrase "save the monarchy" assumes that the monarchy is in peril, about to be abolished or is under threat. Those who would prefer a republic will still prefer a republic regardless of the popularity of the monarchy. At the moment, Kate is about to get married, kind of "move house" and "change jobs" all at the same time, which I think is probably enough to deal with at the moment!!!

no the BRITISH royal family? no i'm american and even i know that will never happen. they will never get rid of that monarchy. that royal family seems to be feared and adored by a lot of people.

I don't think anyone fears the BRF anymore, this isn't the 1600s. The idea of "divine right" is gone. If anything, I think people look at monarchies (whether in England or elsewhere) as quaint relics of a bygone era, and treat it like they would a traveling museum piece. We gawk at it, take pictures of it, marvel at how long its been around.....and then move on to something else.

I personally don't have any issues with monarchies, for the most part they've been all been neutered anyway. The real power 99% of the time lies with the elected officials, such as the PM or President or Parliament or whatever the power structure in that country is.

no the BRITISH royal family? no i'm american and even i know that will never happen. they will never get rid of that monarchy. that royal family seems to be feared and adored by a lot of people.

Noboy fears our royal family, and the disolution of the monarchy might not happen with HM or Charles, but William and his heirs it is more likely.
You can't say never to something like this.

Nobody fears the Royal Family and not everyone adores them. Certainly not - wish we could avoid such generalizations! :flowers: What most of the people outside Great Britain need to understand is that the Queen and the Royal Family are part of our national identity. As simple as that. Until today, I don't see the desire to 'get rid of them' (unlike in Spain, for example), but that doesn't mean it will never ever happen. No one knows what the future brings, anything is possible.;)

:previous:
He receives his Royal Air Force salary and is otherwise supported by his father (income from the Duchy of Cornwall) and the income from various trusts.
He receives no "allowance" from the government.

The Duchy of Cornwall pays for the cost of staff to handle William and Harry's personal matters, engagements and PR, but I highly doubt they need Charles to pay for anything else.

They inherited, in equal shares, over $40 million from their mother's estate (Diana was quite wealthy in her own right, in addition to her $28 million divorce settlement), plus Harry inherited a $5 million trust from The Earl Spencer after his death. Even though most of that money remains in trust until they are in their mid-30's, they both have plenty of their own money.

This may sound funny, but it applies to this thread. I think it was Queen Mary who said that "We love visiting hospitals, and we are never sick."

While living in Wales she could devote time to the other English familys, stationed on that base. Also learning about the Welsh, and the language would be a wondrful start. (Considering who she is marring (lol).Then when she gets back to London to live she will have had several "walkabouts", "hospital openings", and proprbaly even a gala or 2, I'm sure even now she is looking through all the literature about causes/charities, that could use her help. And the ones that are closet to her heart. I believe she will make a fine princess.

Then the babies start coming!!!

Why only Harry and not William?

As William will inherit the Queen's vast wealth it is traditional that others don't leave him any money. The same thing probably happened with the Queen Mum - I haven't read anything about trust funds that she might have set up for her great-grandchildren but I believe she didn't have one for Charles but did have them for her other grandchildren. George VI only had trust funds for his wife, Margaret and Anne as Elizabeth would follow him on the throne and Charles would follow her.

Kate has already brought new interest to the BRF. She said something like she believes William will guide her in her new role and I think he will.

I think another strong possibility which was touched on in an earlier post was that she could take on a role in regards to supporting the needs of families of servicemen and women stationed on bases or married to active personnel. This could alse extend into Commonwealth Realms as well, with many of these countries have a number of soliders on deployment (e.g. Australia, Canada (not sure))

I agree with everyone else so far! As William is still only second in line to the throne and is firmly busy in his careeer, I think it will allow Kate time to steadily grown into her new role by taking on various charitable causes over the next few years but in a quiet and modest way, thus enabling her to become well established in the role. As for children, well they will come along when they come along!

As much as been made in the media about the Palace learning from Diana's mistakes or their mistakes with Diana, I hope they learned some from Sarah Fergusan as well. I remember her saying (possibly in her book) that she wanted to go live with "her man" on the base and the palace wouldn't allow it. I'd like to see Catherine take things slow and easy, spend as much time as possible just being with William to firmly establish their marriage/relationship. There will be enough time for charities, etc when they're bumped up to Prince/Princess of Wales.

As much as been made in the media about the Palace learning from Diana's mistakes or their mistakes with Diana, I hope they learned some from Sarah Fergusan as well. I remember her saying (possibly in her book) that she wanted to go live with "her man" on the base and the palace wouldn't allow it. I'd like to see Catherine take things slow and easy, spend as much time as possible just being with William to firmly establish their marriage/relationship. There will be enough time for charities, etc when they're bumped up to Prince/Princess of Wales.

I think they have already established their relationship in the 8 years together part of which they have lived together. Although the pressure that will be put on Kate as a Royal bride and part of the "firm" their relationship will at least have the foundation that other Royals have not had the advantage of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom