The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 03:32 AM
Royal Highness

Nothing against the Queen Mother but hope Kate isn't taking after her we have moved since those days. Kate will hold her own I'm sure.

Old 08-13-2015, 03:42 AM
Serene Highness

I think that the QM (when she was Queen Consort) was a formidable force behind the throne. Not a bad model for Kate when it's her turn....or should she model herself on Philip?

Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-13-2015, 04:00 AM
Royal Highness

I think you can be both an equal and a supportive. They are clearly equals in the relationship. But that doesn't mean she can't be in a more supportive "professional" role in their "job". And you could tell that when William was with her to the sailing event he was in the supportive role since it was her event, but mostly she will be in the supportive role as a "consort".
Old 08-13-2015, 01:23 PM
Heir Apparent

See, IMO, I think you've got this all backwards. I think W and K are the models- just the way they are. Models of a monarchy that is modern- and of this century- because I surely can't and don't fault HM. She is faultless. I think future kings and queens should model them- W& K that is. No, I don't think anyone can model the DOE. I don't think anyone should. I think Muriel just answered that way, because Daniel is a future Prince Consort - not because he is like the DOE.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:13 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
I think that the QM (when she was Queen Consort) was a formidable force behind the throne. Not a bad model for Kate when it's her turn....or should she model herself on Philip?
Yes, she was a formidable force behind the throne, both when she was Queen Consort and Queen Mother. She was a great support too both her husband and her daughter, and I don't believe in all this ridiculous nonsense that Lady Colin Campbell writes about in her books, which I have not even read.

She had the ability to form an emotional connection with people, and getting people to like her, but she was very manipulative and did not stop until she got her way. This was something she shared with Diana. She could be very difficult, and you couldn't go to her with problems. Kate's not like that at all, and I don't think the Queen Mother is a good role model for her.
As I've said before, I am no Queen Mother / Diana or Margaret fan.

I don't think Kate will / should model herself on Philip either. I am no fan of Prince Philip, because he is not the kind of person that I usually like, but he has been a great support too the Queen.

Both Camilla and Kate will and should do things in their own way.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:24 PM
Heir Apparent

I respect that you are no great Diana fan and I am- so we will see things differently . But " formed a great emotional connection with people." That sounds like Diana too. One of her traits I liked. What's interesting is that while I am a Diana fan- I'm not a QM fan. That is also a trait I see in Catherine. And I'm a fan of hers.
Yes, your'e right Camilla and Kate would and should do things their own way. Kate doesn't need a model- she will do fine by herself. If someone should need a model- they will look to her.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:53 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
But " formed a great emotional connection with people." That sounds like Diana too.
I agree with you, and it was meant for Diana too. I wrote, this was something she shared with Diana.
Old 08-23-2015, 10:39 AM
Imperial Majesty

Obviously, it's August and the royal news and public appearances are slow. It's been said that Catherine is due to resume her official obligations this month. I think her time off as a busy mom should be respected, but we must remember that despite her time off, Catherine and her office are working behind the scenes in arranging her official diary and she's in contact with her charities. Members of the royal get their time off, but they're never really off completely.

Once she's back, do I think Catherine should perform a little more official engagements? Yes, I think she could up the number a little and that it wouldn't take her away from her private role as a young mother.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-23-2015, 11:26 AM
Heir Apparent

I have no issues with regards to debating numbers of engagements. But Kate has done hundreds of official engagements, she has been on numerous official foreign tours. She would have done her first official solo tour if not for her pregnancy. She is active in the Royal Foundation. Her charities have nothing but glowing remarks for her.

Now she and William have a young family and Kate is prioritising the raising of her children as her main 'job' for the time being. Good I say.

Obviously things are still moving forward. There is a lot of talk of another major tour next year.

Given the fact that neither William nor Harry are full-time I don't think its fair to single Kate out.

Her numbers are right in step with Harry's and her focusing on family is just as much work as flying an air ambulance.

Of course this is the life of a royal. They exist to be criticised and Kate's a big girl and can handle herself. She doesn't need me defending her.
Old 08-23-2015, 11:40 AM
Heir Apparent

In comparison with her "colleagues" like Mary of Denmark, Mette-Marit of Norway, Stéphanie de Luxembourg, etc. the Duchess of Cambridge has a firm workload. I have never had the idea she was lazy or something.
Old 08-23-2015, 11:41 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
I have no issues with regards to debating numbers of engagements. But Kate has done hundreds of official engagements, she has been on numerous official foreign tours. She would have done her first official solo tour if not for her pregnancy. She is active in the Royal Foundation. Her charities have nothing but glowing remarks for her.

Now she and William have a young family and Kate is prioritising the raising of her children as her main 'job' for the time being. Good I say.

Obviously things are still moving forward. There is a lot of talk of another major tour next year.

Given the fact that neither William nor Harry are full-time I don't think its fair to single Kate out.

Her numbers are right in step with Harry's and her focusing on family is just as much work as flying an air ambulance.

Of course this is the life of a royal. They exist to be criticised and Kate's a big girl and can handle herself. She doesn't need me defending her.
Excellent post. This constant harping on Catherine to perform more, when she's a part-time Royal is getting a bit tiresome. If the charities, and the Queen are pleased with her performance, who are we to criticize?

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:10 PM
Heir Apparent

If Charles and Camilla were a younger more glamorous couple, the press wouldn't have any issues. Ageism works against them.

The tabloids want W&K to be the Fred and Mary of England. The public face of the monarchy and the glamour couple.

The problem is Britain already has an heir to the throne. The tabloids want Kate to the young Princess of Wales and Queen in waiting. The problem is Britain already has a Princess of Wales.

W&K get criticised because they're in the wrong generation for the tabloid press.

Its interesting that the 'serious' papers have no issues with Cambridges. The Times and the Telegraph couldn't be more positive.

Its the low end papers like the Sun and DM that have to resort to gutter journalism.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
[...]
Its interesting that the 'serious' papers have no issues with Cambridges. The Times and the Telegraph couldn't be more positive. [...]
Even if a wind escapes the Queen by accident, The Telegraph will tell us that it smelled like Chanel No 5... Really, if there is one monarchist newspaper, then it is The Telegraph...

Old 08-23-2015, 01:57 PM
Heir Apparent

And in 20 years when there is an elderly King Charles, a middle aged Prince and Princess of Wales, the press will be calling for George and Charlotte to be more visible at Royal events.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 08-23-2015, 02:06 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Even if a wind escapes the Queen by accident, The Telegraph will tell us that it smelled like Chanel No 5... Really, if there is one monarchist newspaper, then it is The Telegraph...

Now that is what I would call breaking news.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 08-23-2015, 02:09 PM
Courtier

I suspect that a move towards more children, sporting and arts based charities and organizations are highly likely for The DOC.
Old 08-23-2015, 02:51 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeybees View Post
I suspect that a move towards more children, sporting and arts based charities and organizations are highly likely for The DOC.
I think so too. For the most part, I think what we will see is William, Harry and Kate taking on charities and organizations that will fit nicely into their Royal Foundation. Youth, Conservation and Armed Forces covers such a vast area of possibilities. There will also be what I would call "loner" patronages such as William has with FIFA and Kate with the Scouts and Harry with his Sentebale in Lesotho. The possibilities are endless.

An amazing thing just hit me. I wouldn't be one bit surprised if in the future, both Kate and Charlotte become part of the Girl Guides. It *is* a royal tradition after all.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 08-23-2015, 03:07 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
Excellent post. This constant harping on Catherine to perform more, when she's a part-time Royal is getting a bit tiresome. If the charities, and the Queen are pleased with her performance, who are we to criticize?

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
. The Court publishes an official list at the end of each year which is widely reported on and I could be wrong but DOC was very far down that list last year. It is relative but I remember reading the media in England commenting on DOC engagements against H.M, DOE and even Princess Anne.
Old 08-23-2015, 03:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeybees View Post
. The Court publishes an official list at the end of each year which is widely reported on and I could be wrong but DOC was very far down that list last year. It is relative but I remember reading the media in England commenting on DOC engagements against H.M, DOE and even Princess Anne.
The Court doesn't publish any statistics regarding public royal engagements.

All the figures quoted in the media generally comes from one source: a retired gentleman, Mr Tim O'Donovan, who send his data to The Times every year. Other papers then repeat the information

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 08-23-2015, 03:14 PM
Heir Apparent

That is one of the weird preoccupations by the British media: counting who-was-where-and-who-did-what. I have not seen this sort of lists in other monarchies. They are not so interested in that. The King is the King and the royal family is the royal family. That is it. This constant calculating makes life a hell for British royals. Give them a break, I would say...

Closed Thread

Tags
charities, charity, duchess of cambridge, duties, kate, kate middleton, roles